• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Anti-Lava Metroid Stage Thread

KraidGuy

Smash Ace
Phaaze. I am a mercenary of the Dark Hunter. Hel
Yes, this is a thread about Metroid stages. Is anyone tired of all the stages taking place underground or ones that involve being burnt by lava? I sure am. We need ideas that involve stages that are Metroid related that DON'T involve those two factors. For example, we could have Phendrana, with a place that we can actually see the SKY. Anyone have some good ideas? Post them here. Oh, and none of that crap about liking the lava. This is a thread about NO lava.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
welll.....i was thinking that a really cool (and maybe slightly annoying) stage could be one from Metroid Prime 2, with light and dark aether and all. but so far it seems Sakurai doesn't favor the prime subseries.....ohwell, but yeah the whole acid/lava thing is getting pretty stale -_-

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
while the whole undeground theme is getting old, it kinda was (still is for the most part) the theme of metroid games....going deep inside a planet to eradicate all evil..blah blah blah

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
There is a thread about this somewhere, probably a few pages back. Personally, I would like to have an atmospheric stage. I like the idea of phendrana, or my personal choice would be the green Brinistar area from Super Metroid. Atmosphere is something Metroid does well, it should be put to use.

KraidGuy

Smash Ace
Phaaze. I am a mercenary of the Dark Hunter. Hel
There is a thread about this somewhere, probably a few pages back. Personally, I would like to have an atmospheric stage. I like the idea of phendrana, or my personal choice would be the green Brinistar area from Super Metroid. Atmosphere is something Metroid does well, it should be put to use.
Really, this is more of a thread to discuss stages from the MP series. Those didn't really have any lave places in them. But argueing would be good here too.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I'd be interested to see a stage based on Chozo Ruins/Chozodia in Metroid Zero Mission. Hazards could be Space Pirates and those eye beams.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I would of assumed that Sakurai would of picked the setting from Corruption.

Yes, i agree.

I have not played the game though, but is there a stage that is the "theme"?

Like, you found a great powerup there, you go there a lot, or you fight a lot of bosses there?

That would be a good guess.

T-major

Smash Champion
Yes, i agree.

I have not played the game though, but is there a stage that is the "theme"?

Like, you found a great powerup there, you go there a lot, or you fight a lot of bosses there?

That would be a good guess.
A Leviathan Seed would make sense. the layout of it would fit Smash, and there are quite a few of them in Corruption. you fight several Bosses in them as well.

also, Dreamking has a GREAT idea in make a Chozo themed stage. the Chozo are a MAJOR part of Metroid, so I think it's justified.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I'd be happy if the next Metriod stage would be based on any of the three Prime games. Just no more boring *** lava themes. I HATE NORFAIR ON BRAWL!:mad:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
umm, ,but bnorfair is the first lava based stage... the other were ACID based :p

althought i would like to see brinstar as a returning melee stage, i want to see a prime stage, ,i'm mainly between phendarana drifts and chozo ruins

but, ,i think that everyone agrees that to be a good metroid stage, independent is with lava or without lava, it should be a really hazardous envioremental atmospherical stage..., this hazards could be phazon, uber frost ice, creatures, acid, quicksand, void, etc etc etc....

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
They most likely chose Norfair as a stage for Metroid because they want to represent Ridley as well as Samus. Because Norfair is where Ridley's Lair is in Metroid, Super Metroid, and Metroid: Zero Mission, which BTW is what game Sakurai seems to have decided to model the Metroid characters and stages after.

I really doubt that we will see anything Prime related in Brawl. Definitely not anything from Corruption for that matter. I think at most, there will be a Hunter or Dark Samus assist trophy. Because the sad truth is that the Prime series isn't really too popular world wide. The last great Metroid game was Zero Mission, which like I said before, Sakurai has decided to model Zero Suit Samus and Samus after. Norfair and the Super Metroid assist trophy being from Super Metroid.

I really don't have a problem with a stage hazard ridden Metroid stage myself. TBH that's the best way to capture the atmosphere of the series in a stage. Most people enjoy those kinds of stages anyway. If you're a competitive player who enjoys fair, neutral stages built for straightforward fighting, than play on Battlefield.

Just stop complaining about something so dumb as Metroid stages being all lava related. Sakurai has to satisfy everyone, so there will be hazardous stages and plain stages alike. It just seems that Metroid seems best suited to have these kinds of levels...

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
I really don't have a problem with a stage hazard ridden Metroid stage myself. TBH that's the best way to capture the atmosphere of the series in a stage. Most people enjoy those kinds of stages anyway. If you're a competitive player who enjoys fair, neutral stages built for straightforward fighting, than play on Battlefield.

Just stop complaining about something so dumb as Metroid stages being all lava related. Sakurai has to satisfy everyone, so there will be hazardous stages and plain stages alike. It just seems that Metroid seems best suited to have these kinds of levels...
I have no problem with hazard stages, but my thoughts are that since Metroid offers so much more than just crazy lava based areas, one of those should see light. There are many really incredible areas that could be used for a Metroid stage, just based on the fact that they look so amazing. I am not complaining that there is another lava/acid stage though, I do like that theme...though this one looks somewhat over the top with the lava covering the entire stage at once.

Besides, I dont know anybody that really likes Brinstar Depths in melee. Its a neat stage, but most people dont like that it is so hazardous. Dont write it off that I am a competitive player, my dorm has over a dozen people that only play for fun (thats atleast 3 rooms worth), they all tend to turn off Icicle mountain and depths when they play.

Krell

Smash Journeyman
The Space Pirate home world would be neat, from Metroid Prime 3. Random clouds could appear and rain acid on players. It would have no knock back or flinch but it would deal damage as though the player was off screen.
Just a thought off the top of my head.

D

Deleted member

Anything from Metroid II, Fusion, or the Primes would be great.

RedKnight

Smash Ace
I think a location from Corruption would be cool, like Bryyo Ice, or Elysia,Norion, or eventhe Pirate Homeworld (NOT the Phaaze though)

RedKnight

Smash Ace
I think a location from Corruption would be cool, like Bryyo Ice, or Elysia,Norion, or eventhe Pirate Homeworld (NOT Phaaze though)

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Seeing as how the Metroid stages have never concerned themselves with accuracy before, I'm going to take some creative license with this. I'm thinking the impact crater from Prime, which is simple. A single large platform, floating in the air, with other platforms like the clouds in dreamland 64, except these would have Phazon on them. No knockback, but a lot of damage while standing on them. This would take place outside, with the actual meteor in the distance and rain coming down, with the occasional flyby from Meta Ridley if he's not playable. Or maybe even if he is, as Meta Ridley is just Ridley reconstructed after his defeat, so it's possible that there could be more than one Meta Ridley.

Seeing as how the Metroid stages have never concerned themselves with accuracy before, I'm going to take some creative license with this. I'm thinking the impact crater from Prime, which is simple. A single large platform, floating in the air, with other platforms like the clouds in dreamland 64, except these would have Phazon on them. No knockback, but a lot of damage while standing on them. This would take place outside, with the actual meteor in the distance and rain coming down, with the occasional flyby from Meta Ridley if he's not playable. Or maybe even if he is, as Meta Ridley is just Ridley reconstructed after his defeat, so it's possible that there could be more than one Meta Ridley.
Still the same Ridley...

And wow, you weren't kidding about the creative license. I think that's a bit too much. Because how would you expect to see a meteor in the distance if there's already a crater?

AIM0001

Smash Lord
They most likely chose Norfair as a stage for Metroid because they want to represent Ridley as well as Samus. Because Norfair is where Ridley's Lair is in Metroid, Super Metroid, and Metroid: Zero Mission, which BTW is what game Sakurai seems to have decided to model the Metroid characters and stages after.
I really doubt that we will see anything Prime related in Brawl. Definitely not anything from Corruption for that matter. I think at most, there will be a Hunter or Dark Samus assist trophy. Because the sad truth is that the Prime series isn't really too popular world wide. The last great Metroid game was Zero Mission, which like I said before, Sakurai has decided to model Zero Suit Samus and Samus after. Norfair and the Super Metroid assist trophy being from Super Metroid.

Yeah that's coo n all but Norfair is a disaster with way too many hazards and you havin to spend the whole time fightin for a box to prtect you from waves of lava. They messed up a stage that could of been good. But I think Norfair is without a doubt going to be the worst stage on Brawl.

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
^That's your opinion. Like I said, a lot of people enjoy having a lot of stage hazards. A lot of people forget that the competitive community is only a fraction of all the Smash players world wide.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Still the same Ridley...

And wow, you weren't kidding about the creative license. I think that's a bit too much. Because how would you expect to see a meteor in the distance if there's already a crater?
I mean you fight in the crater, and the meteor is in the immediate background, kind of like Kraid, but not as close. And yeah, I wasn't sure if Ridley would work or not, but it doesn't change that much of the basic idea. All I really knew when I thought about the idea was that I wanted one platform, and then some phazon covered platforms nearby, but away from center stage.

Come to think of it, it could take place on the side of the meteor, and every once in a while Metroid Prime (With armor) could come and do something, maybe shoot missiles or something.

And honestly, for creative license, I'm thinking of Brinstar Depths...

Yeah that's coo n all but Norfair is a disaster with way too many hazards and you havin to spend the whole time fightin for a box to prtect you from waves of lava. They messed up a stage that could of been good. But I think Norfair is without a doubt going to be the worst stage on Brawl.
They didn't 'mess up'. Norfair is fine. I'm sure you can jump to avoid the lava anyway, and it doesn't seem that deadly.

tmbjr

Smash Cadet
As a huge Metroid fan, I am happy that Norfair got in. It is easily the most epic locale in the entire series. :D

Unless by some divine miracle Dark Samus becomes playable, I wouldn't count on any stages derived from the Prime subseries as it wasn't received well in Japan. Although I would like to see a Tallon Overworld, Impact Crater, and Phaaze stage.

The most likely Metroid stages after Norfair are another iteration of Brinstar, Crateria, and possibly Meridia...

Machete

Smash Ace
A mother-brain bakgrounded stage!!!
Nah, Motherbrain should be a boss in SSE, it deserves it.

I think Kraid's stage in Melee should return (having it, we have the three major bosses in the classic Metroid games with diferent roles in Brawl: playable, boss and stage hazard).

If a Metroid Prime-based stage is in Brawl (something that I really doubt) I hope Phendrana, that would be awesome.

Or maybe Chozo Ruins, chozo deserve some mention.

And Queen Metroid's Lair would be totally awesome.

KaptKRool

Smash Apprentice
Where the St Lawrence meets Lake Ontario (Tibbets
I'd like to see Crateria, where its a big platform surrounded by water, and it has to be fairly big, not temple-size, but maybe 2/3's the size of it.

Samus's starship would be in the center, and just be a platform, nothing to special about it. There could be a chozo statue and what not, and maybe like a big puddle of water to swim in.

There would be somewhat large structures, like a pillar of the dirt and rocks, like there is in Super Metroid to the right of the gunship, except not as tall as in Super Metroid.

And it'd be cool to have the Wrecked Ship far on the right, maybe acting as like a small little platform you can use to save yourself, like the clouds in the yoshi's story stage in SSB64.

But I've already got plans to make a Phendrana Drifts stage with the stage builder.

It'll kinda be in the shape of Corneria, with kinda tall snow drifts, and there'll be a long section on the bottom floor of ice, and a platform hovering above with a statue or something on it (representing a Chozo Statue, but I doubt they'd actually have one, so just a generic statue).

antimatter

Smash Lord
the BSL satelite in fusion would be sweet. it would be about temple sized, with the elevator and the tubes with the six different environments.

Top Bottom