• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Demo played (at DigiPen party)! Wavedashing (in Melee form) appears to be out!

Infil

Smash Journeyman
EDIT - Read Vortok's post on page 18 if you're still in doubt that this information is accurate.

A long-time Smash friend of mine, who now is a student at DigiPen, was able to attend a Nintendo party held for E For All, where they had demos of Brawl, Mario Galaxy, and others. At the DigiPen campus, they brought in these demos (EDIT: I was mistaken, this was held at the adjacent Nintendo HQ in the cafeteria named "Cafe Mario", not on the DigiPen campus. It was a private event, attended only by those invited. If you go to DigiPen, ask around, you might be able to get in. My apologies for the confusion). Unfortunately, all they had were the Wiimote controls (up for jump, B for shield = ugh), so keep that in mind when reading these. He's going back with a Classic Controller probably tomorrow.

First up, he notes, is that you can no longer airdodge in a given direction. If you jump straight up and airdodge at the top of your jump, regardless of what direction you're holding you airdodge in place. When you airdodge, your character continues to travel in the momentum he was in before the airdodge. This would, at least to me, imply that wavedashing as we knew it from Melee can't be done. He's going to try a pseudo-WD technique by just short-hopping (still in) while moving forward and then airdodging close to the ground. I think it's still far too early to tell on this, but E For All goers should expect this change in the game's mechanics.

His favorite character in Melee was Fox, and he reports that he seems to be hit with the nerf bat pretty hard. Shine now takes some activation time, and he isn't as fast as he was in Melee. Playing with the Wiimote will have an effect here, so he's going to try again with the CC soon.

I think people need to be prepared to let wavedashing go. It might make its appearance in Brawl in a different format, or there might be some other advanced trick that serves similar purposes, but don't expect to turn on Brawl and start wavedashing around the stage. Early accounts from my friend seem to think it's not possible with the new system.

Oh, also, you can jump after an air dodge now. You can grab the edge after an air dodge (to prevent annoying deaths with phantom airdodging near edges, I presume). You can also grab the ledge out of an up B. For example, Link's up B grabs the ledge as soon as it hits it, instead of waiting for it to be finished, then falling/landing accordingly.

Also, fast falling is in. L-canceling seems to be in, but he's going to test again with CC (hard to do on Wiimote). This would imply SHFFL is in.

Kooichi

Smash Journeyman
But in a video I saw Fox's shine was as fast as ever o.o *Goes to bck to check* XD

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
Interesting, hehe I was starting to like wavedashing around the stage in Melee... oh well I'm sure I'll still find other ways to play good in Brawl.

Edit: If wavedashing is in Brawl I'll play it that way as well, either way I really don't care too much.

Infil

Smash Journeyman
By the way guys, I said that he played it with a Wiimote controller, only for an hour. These are initial impressions, and you should take them accordingly. They're likely to change as he plays more. I'm not trying to flame/troll anyone. If you guys can disagree with my posts by posting videos, please do! This is a discussion topic.

Kooichi

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, in one Gamepro video, the person playing Fox tried to drill shine. It seems like the shine came out just as fast. I'll check, and if that's true, you're post is BS.

EDIT: lol Kooichi got in an almost identical post before me.
XD Well I watched the video but it was alittle hard to tell. The Shine wasnt as fast as in Melee but it didnt take any activation time o.o Tho it was bad quality so I'm not really sure. Still quite fast tho XD

Karleko

Smash Cadet
"seems to be hit with the nerf bat pretty hard." Hahahaha, that made me laugh. Well seems interesting, to bad that wavedashing might be out. At least phantom airdodging near edges might not be so bad anymore.

Exorcist

Smash Journeyman
His favorite character in Melee was Fox, and he reports that he seems to be hit with the nerf bat pretty hard. Shine now takes some activation time, and he isn't as fast as he was in Melee.
**looks at video with Fox doing his Shine**

**goes frame by frame**

Um....fail

**checks second Halberd video**

**looks at Diddy obviously dodging to the complete left from a standard completely vertical normal jump**

Epic fail.

End Game

Smash Journeyman
By the way guys, I said that he played it with a Wiimote controller, only for an hour. These are initial impressions, and you should take them accordingly. They're likely to change as he plays more. I'm not trying to flame/troll anyone. If you guys can disagree with my posts by posting videos, please do! This is a discussion topic.
Yes, they may be first impressions but i doubt the control would affect the speed that the shine comes out in as well as the speed on his attacks.

Infil

Smash Journeyman
By the way, this is what I'm talking about:

Note how Wario can still waveland, but it has to come off his forward momentum! In the demo, my friend was unable to airdodge in any direction he chose. Maybe that will change when he gets the classic controller. Who knows? Don't shoot the messenger.

Exorcist

Smash Journeyman
By the way, this is what I'm talking about:

Note how Wario can still waveland, but it has to come off his forward momentum! In the demo, my friend was unable to airdodge in any direction he chose. Maybe that will change when he gets the classic controller. Who knows? Don't shoot the messenger.
**looks at the "zomg old news" video**

**looks at the first video with Bowser in it where he RUNS not wavelands directly out of a jump**

**zooms onto Wario's feet and notices that he too takes several steps after he lands**

EPICCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

FAILUREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

News. Even with only the Wiimote someone with half a brain could tilt the Dpad to the left and airdodge a certain direction. Maybe if you're friend had one hand and was mentally handicapped I'd understand, but otherwise I think you should just edit your original post completely and delete it before more people on the boards see what a traitor and a troll you are.

Infil

Smash Journeyman
By the way again, people, note how calmly and gingerly I stated these impressions.

"all they had were the Wiimote controls (up for jump, B for shield = ugh), so keep that in mind when reading these"

"I think it's still far too early to tell on this..."

"Playing with the Wiimote will have an effect here..."

"[Wavedashing] might make its appearance in Brawl in a different format..."

"Early accounts from my friend seem to think..."

How is this trolling? Disagree by posting links to videos! I would be very interested to see them, instead of "epic fail".

WiiPlaya77

Smash Cadet
Must feed troll! Shine looks slower, Diddy never airdodged!! Muahaha!! lol, man ppl here are mean...

bluekitsune13

Smash Journeyman
I like that idea of air dodging in the direction that you're moving. Then that video with Wario would make sense. Genius! Then again, I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Shuma

Smash Hero
"Wavedashing OUT!? EPIC FAIL EPIC EPIC FAIL, clearly a troll! Wavedashing can't be out"

That's what i see here... *sigh*

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, well I live right nearby DigiPen and know several people from there. I'd think I'd have heard about this, although I am at work at the moment. I'll check with those still attending DigiPen and see if there's any truth to this at all.

Infil

Smash Journeyman
Heh, if you guys think I'm trolling, then just don't post in the thread! How easy is that?

If you have video proof that counters my claims, please post it (instead of loosely alluding to some video that exists somewhere).

If you guys don't want to believe what I'm saying, more power to you! I'm not putting a gun to your head.

Heh, this is what I get for posting in this site again. :) I've learned my lesson!

nuro

Smash Lord
good try but A) fox's shine is instant
B) no proof could be most likely a liar
C) your friend sounds like a noob since he can't do a lcancel. i understand the wiimote is a little funny but i would have no problem being able to lcancel. I don't think it would be possible to wavedash fast on the wii mote but i could definitely waveland without a problem.

End Game

Smash Journeyman
Heh, if you guys think I'm trolling, then just don't post in the thread! How easy is that?

If you have video proof that counters my claims, please post it (instead of loosely alluding to some video that exists somewhere).

If you guys don't want to believe what I'm saying, more power to you! I'm not putting a gun to your head.

Heh, this is what I get for posting in this site again. :) I've learned my lesson!
http://www.gamepro.com/nintendo/wii/...s/139928.shtml

Keep your eye on fox, the shine seems as fast as it was before.

Exorcist

Smash Journeyman
First up, he notes, is that you can no longer airdodge in a given direction. If you jump straight up and airdodge at the top of your jump, regardless of what direction you're holding you airdodge in place. When you airdodge, your character continues to travel in the momentum he was in before the airdodge.

His favorite character in Melee was Fox, and he reports that he seems to be hit with the nerf bat pretty hard. Shine now takes some activation time, and he isn't as fast as he was in Melee.
Maybe that will change when he gets the classic controller.

You're gingerly speak doesn't change the fact that you've said these things.

A. You missed the recent discovery of Diddy Airdodging to the left.
B. You DID in fact quote alot of **** from the Advanced Tactics Confirmed thread, where you got all your troll like information
C. Fox's shine is still one frame. One frame is always one frame. And if someone says 1 looks like anything more than 1 they're lieing.
D. Nothing will change when he gets the classic controller because you're lieing.

In my line of business I study the human mind. And an easy thing to spot is reverse psychology and of course when someone really wants people to believe them. The whole "Please just post vids thing" is so textbook of you. It's the reason why you made this thread. It's the reason you're so "calm" to seem like you're not angry about anything for people to be sincere to you.

"Oh please give me lots of replies zomg plzzzxxx"

Suck it. I'm done with your conversation and I hope people who actually read what I wrote in this thread so far have the vision to see two feet in front of their faces and see that you're lieing.

PS: You disgust me.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
E for All is on the 18th. That's the day after tomorrow. Why would Nintendo randomly allow people to play Brawl now?

Not that I'd be suprised for down-angled airdodges to be gone anyway. Everything we've seen about them seems to point to it. But still, I fail to see any reason to believe this "party" actually occurred.

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
When gimpyfish post confirming all of this stuff, you'll all be sucking his **** about this anyways, i'd suggest you just read it, and let it sit at the back of your mind. saying "OMG BUT THIS VIDEO LOOKS DIFFERENT FROM WHAT YOU DESCRIBE" you are reading text, and seeing footage, interpret how you will, it's just an indirect quote of what he says his friend is like, so take both into consideration perhaps?

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Infil -

When and where did this party occur exactly? Want to make sure I'm asking the right question to those that go to DigiPen. Thanks!

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette

Would you mind granting a link to such videos with a bit of an explanation?
I did post one.

Doggalina said:
http://www.gamepro.com/nintendo/wii/...s/139928.shtml
Hah, fission mailed, Infil. Watch Fox. He dairs, dsmashes, dtilts, and then shines. And the shine is just as fast as ever.

Please take your trolling elsewhere, please.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Is there a high quality video with Fox? that one looks like ****.

Exorcist

Smash Journeyman
you are reading text, and seeing footage, interpret how you will, it's just an indirect quote of what he says his friend is like, so take both into consideration perhaps?
He contridicted himself too many times to count.

"Wavedashing OUT!? EPIC FAIL EPIC EPIC FAIL, clearly a troll! Wavedashing can't be out"

That's what i see here... *sigh*
Instead of clasifing me under your little "I could spot arrogance" radar, read what I have to say.

Would you mind granting a link to such videos with a bit of an explanation?
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=120154

Please stop posting here, it's what he wants.

Syroco

Smash Apprentice
You're gingerly speak doesn't change the fact that you've said these things.

A. You missed the recent discovery of Diddy Airdodging to the left.
B. You DID in fact quote alot of **** from the Advanced Tactics Confirmed thread, where you got all your troll like information
C. Fox's shine is still one frame. One frame is always one frame. And if someone says 1 looks like anything more than 1 they're lieing.
D. Nothing will change when he gets the classic controller because you're lieing.

In my line of business I study the human mind. And an easy thing to spot is reverse psychology and of course when someone really wants them to believe them. The whole "Please just post vids thing" is so textbook of you. It's the reason why you made this thread. It's the reason you're so "calm" to seem like you're not angry about anything for people to be sincere to you.

"Oh please give me lots of replies zomg plzzzxxx"

Suck it. I'm done with your conversation and I hope people who actually read what I wrote in this thread so far have the vision to see two feet in front of their faces and see that you're lieing.

PS: You disgust me.
You're such a ****ing prick.

Shuma

Smash Hero
I read what you said, that's why i asked for a better quality video, all i see is this:

Fox uses his blaster against bowser, hits him, sends him flying, Fox runs, stops, uses Reflector, Bowser falls to lower platform. But i can't see if the Reflector is as fast as ever.

Exorcist

Smash Journeyman
You're such a ****ing prick.
I love you too baby.

Why don't we just strip naked and play "What body part's in my mouth".
Teehee.
When we get married lets wear matching Pink Tuxes.

Mine will have flowers.

Top Bottom