• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UofM biweeklies Ann Arbor, MI (Back in the Fall)

Randizzle

Smash Ace

So we're done with tournaments until everyone is back in Ann Arbor and we have our usual venue back. Thanks to everyone that attended and made these so enjoyable, and a huge thanks to SCOTU, Ankoku, and Bowyer (and others) for keeping these going. Until these bi-weeklies start up again, I highly recommend staying tuned and checking out Vayseth's and Rofa's tournaments.
Rofa's: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164142
Vayseth's: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=161768

Next tournament: Fall

Singles Tournament: $5 or $10/player
Doubles Tournament: $10 or $20/team ($5 or $10/player)
Entry fee varies by week and popular demand

Bring your own controllers.

• Registration and warm-up: 11:30 AM
  • Doubles tournament: 1PM
  • Singles tournament shortly after doubles

Rules and Tournament Format

We'll be using pretty standard rules and format, but just in case...
  • Three stock
  • Eight minute time limit
  • Double elimination bracket*
  • Winner of best two out of three advances
  • Best three out of five in winner's bracket and loser's bracket finals
    *Bracket MAY accordingly be set up by round robin pools for seeding, or by round robin pools to reduce the size of bracket depending on attendance.

General Rules
  • No items
  • Team attack on
  • Life stealing allowed in teams
  • Coaching allowed only between matches
  • Ask the other player to pause if you need to pause for whatever reason. Be mature about this. "Accidental" pauses while being chaingrabbed or guarding against a Ness's up+b recovery will not be tolerated.

Stages (may change)
    Neutrals
  • Final Destination
  • Battlefield
  • Smashville
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Pokemon Stadium (may change to counterpick)

Additional counterpick stages

• Luigi'sMansion
  • Green Greens
  • Rainbow Cruise
  • Norfair
  • Brinstar
  • Frigate Orpheon
  • Corneria
  • Jungle Japes
  • Castle Siege
  • Delfino Plaza
  • Battleship Halberd

Counterpicking
  • As a general rule, the player that puts his controller in first, should chose his character first
  • Before the first game, either player may request a double blind character selection.
  • First stage is agreed upon or selected randomly from the pools of neutral stages.
  • The loser of a game may select a stage from neutrals and counterpicks (see stage selection), as long as it is not a stage that has been previously played on in the set or a stage that was banned by either player at the beginning of the set.
  • The winner may select a new character and the loser may select a new character after the winner does.

Prizes (for singles and doubles)

• 1st: 60%
  • 2nd: 30%
  • 3rd: 10%
Note: The distribution of the prizes will change depending on the number of people that show up.

Currently we plan to be hosting our biweeklies in a large lounge room in the basement of Bursley Hall, a large dormitory on North Campus of U of M. The lounge has several tables, chairs, and comfortable couches. It also has several stocked vending machines for snacks and drinks. Additionally, Bursley Hall is a short walk to a Wendy's and to Pierpont commons which holds several restaurants.

Address:
1931 Duffield Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109

Equipment

Currently among those of us organizing this, we have about 3 or 4 TVs and cubes/wiis. THIS WILL NOT BE ENOUGH. I love you long time if you can bring a TV (and possibly a cube). The more the better. We will have more than enough room for many many setups. More TVs = less wait = better tournament = sexytime.

Additionally, SCOTU plans on providing the service of recording and uploading videos of matches on as many of the setups as possible. If anyone can bring VCRs, DVD recorders, laptops with capture cards, or even camcorders, that would also be much appreciated. Talk to scotu for more details. LIEK OMG I GONN BE ON YOUTUBE (or googlevideo)

The posts below will contain recent videos, pictures, and tournament results from the more recent biweekly. They may also contain information if any changes occur.

Other Stuff

In addition to the normal singles and doubles tournaments, we'd like to do side tournaments as well (at least for this first one). Let us know if you would want to play a ssb64 or melee tourney, a small crew tournament, a low tier tournament (singles or doubles), or anything else.

If you have any questions, PM or IM scotu, ankoku, bowyer or myself. Also, scotu has requested that you let us know if you're coming to help us with a smoother registration.

ankoku WISHES he could touch this post =P

SCOTU

Smash Hero
UMB3

Doubles:

1: Stop Catching Death! (SCOTU & Bowyer) ($48.00)
2: Triad (Randizzle & Kenny) ($24.00)
3: Team Manjuice (luladin & Kail) ($8.00)
4: You Decide (Anther & Brian)
5: Gamers of Trouble (Ankoku & Jman)
5: Scoundrels of Shady Beauty (Cryptic & Shaeden)
7: Ikaruga (Dave & Matt)
7: Omegas (Bigy & Cameron)

Singles:

Bracket:

1: Shaeden ($65.00)
2: Biggy ($30.00)
3: Anther ($10.00)
4: Randizzle
5: SCOTU
5: Fuse
7: Kenny
7: Ankoku
9: Rofa
9: Euch
9: Boyr
9: Jman
13: Jordan
13: Dan V
13: Kail
13: Dsin
17: Cryptic
17: James
17: khosvastis
17: Hanzo
17: Bear
17: Jermesque
17: mastersmash

Pools:
1: Biggy
1: Shaeden
1: Anther
1: Boyr
1: SCOTU
6: Randizzle
6: Euch
6: Kenny
6: Jordan
6: Jman
11: Kail
11: Ankoku
11: mastersmash
11: khosvastis
11: Rofa
16: Fuse
16: Bear
16: Cryptic
16: Dan V
16: Hanzo
21: Dsin
21: Jermesque
21: James

UMB2

Doubles Pools Results:

1: SR (SCOTU & Randizzle)
1: BA (Bowyer & Anther)
3: Perfect Professionals (Luladin & Dtownroc63)
3: Sons of Hazardous Trouble (Shaeden & Cryptic)
5: DD (Darkssin & DanLe)
5: Douchebags (Ankoku & Jman)
7: Team Lobsters of Scandal (SamuraiPanda & Sierangho)
7: won eyed wonder weasles (Rofa & Zaro)

Doubles Bracket Results:

1: BA (Bowyer & Anther) ($45.00)
2: Sons of Hazardous Trouble (Shaeden & Cryptic) ($22.50)
3: SR (SCOTU & Randizzle) ($7.50)
4: Douchebags (Ankoku & Jman)
5: Perfect Professionals (Luladin & Dtownroc63)
5: Team Lobsters of Scandal (SamuraiPanda & Sierangho)
7: DD (Darkssin & DanLe)
7: won eyed wonder weasles (Rofa & Zaro)

Singles Pools:
1: Ankoku
1: Fuse
1: Boyr
1: Anther
1: Shaeden
6: lain
6: Randizzle
6: SCOTU
6: Dsin
6: Jman
11: Kzez
11: D
11: Panda
11: Dan Le
11: Khovastis
16: Cryptic
16: Rofa
16: Jordan
16: Kerploplesteesh
16: Youko
21: Xaryn
21: Sierangho
21: Bear
21: Rett

Singles Bracket:

1: Shaeden ($80.00)
2: Fuse ($23.00)
3: Anther ($12.00)
4: Boyr
5: SCOTU
5: lain
7: Ankoku
7: Kzez
9: Jordan
9: Bear
9: Randizzle
13: Sierangho
13: Rett
13: Panda
13: D
17: Khovastis
17: Kerploplesteesh
17: Xaryn
17: Rofa
17: Dsin
17: Youko
17: Dan Le
17: Cryptic

UMB1

Doubles Pools Results:
1: Team Dead Last (Fuse & Bigy)
1: Super Saiyans (SCOTU & Randizzle)
3: The Professionals of Destined Beauty (Ankoku & Bowyer)
3: The Intense Masters (Anther & Petre)
5: Fransisco & Will (Sheepyman & lain)
5: We're Running Late (Tim & John)
7: Team Thor (HK & Ramsey)

Doubles Bracket:

1: Team Dead Last (Fuse & Bigy) ($66.00)
2: Fransisco & Will (Sheepyman & lain) ($27.00)
3: The Professionals of Destined Beauty (Ankoku & Bowyer) ($12.00)
4: Super Saiyans (SCOTU & Randizzle)
5: The Intense Masters (Anther & Petre)
5: We're Running Late (Tim & John)

Singles Pools:

1: Mikey Lenetia
1: Fuse
1: SCOTU
1: petre
5: Boyr
5: Zero
5: Ankoku
5: Jman
9: lain
9: Randizzle
9: Dsin
9: Jordan
13: Kzez
13: Bill

Singles Bracket:

1: Mikey Lenetia ($80.00)
2: Fuse ($30.00)
3: Boyr ($15.00)
4: SCOTU
5: Zero
7: lain
7: Randizzle
9: Kzez
9: Bill
13: petre
13: Jordan

Low Tier Bracket:

1: Mikey Lenetia
2: Anther
3: Fuse
4: Sheepyman
5: Biggy
7: Zero
7: lain
9: Boyr
9: John
9: petre
13: Mr. T
13: Randizzle
13: Righteous Dude
13: SCOTU

SCOTU

Smash Hero
UP COMING SIDE TOURNEY
(not decided yet... come on, cast your votes)
vote count:
ssb64: 4
Low Tier: 2 (i'm guessing anther voted this)
Ironman: 2

ANNOUNCEMENTS

CHANGES
none (seeing as how we just posted it...).

Reserved for anything else

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
first post yeahhyuhhzz

i know theres not a venue fee or anything but can you get a discount on the fee for singles/doubles if you bring a set up

Randizzle

Smash Ace
right now we're hoping that people will bring setups just to help provide for a better setting. however, if we find that we need to give discounts in order to motivate people to bring setups, we may add an additional fee that will be discounted for bringing equipment. the extra money from that will go towards a bigger pot or we might buy food for people. we're doing things this way so we aren't taking any money from the pot.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
k gotcha, jw since i have 2 of everything, just wanted to know if i can be as cheap as possible since i wont be winning the pot anyway lol everything sounds fine anyway id bring (if i were able to go) 2 setups regardless of whether theres a discount or not, getting food for ppl sounds good though XD

100th post!

masteraj

Smash Rookie
is there an age limit to this?

Also, could i just come to watch and learn how to play better from u guys cause i am not very good and would like to get better?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
2 setups... does that include TVs, cause if so, you are the MAN! You'd be on my temp. list of heros for 2 weeks for each biweekly you brought them to...

Just note that cubes, games, mem cards, are more available, what we really need is TVs, and what We (or at least I) really Want is recording equipment.

@ Masteraj:

No. There is no age limit.

You could just come and not participate, but you'd be wasting an excellent opportunity, since it's far better for you to actually compete. Unlike PlanetX, we will be doing First Round Pools (of Round Robins) guaranteeing you at around 3-5 games before the bracket, and as long as there are 32 ppl or less, and assuming you'd do the worst possible, you'd still get 2 games in the bracket. So you'd get at least 5 Sets in the tournament. Well worth the entry fee and your time. Since it's more competitive, you'll get a better feel of how the game is played competitively. Plus, depending on what pool you're in/ against in bracket, you might get vids of yourself playing, which you can later watch to see how you can improve, or put up on the boards for critique.

lain

Smash Master
smash sucks Masteraj. don't play this game. it's like the worst one ever.

also scotu, i now see the light of captain falcon. the combos are sooo.... hot...

darE::to::Dream

Smash Journeyman
smash sucks Masteraj. don't play this game. it's like the worst one ever.
I agree. I'm planning on abandoning Smash next Monday, since there's a distinct lack of need for me in this place and I've been relatively inactive elsewhere.

masteraj

Smash Rookie
well im hoping to come and if i do i guess i will play.

Also, why do u guys think smash sucks?

Marilink

Smash Journeyman
Mudkips? I'm there.

How late would this be expected to go? I probably wouldn't be available past 5, possibly 6 o'clock.

And my vote definitely, definitely goes to SSB64 tourney.

Randizzle

Smash Ace
If all runs smoothly and mudkips, then each tournament should finish in about 2 or 3 hours (depending on size of the tournament).

Masteraj, ignore them.

Kail

Smash Lord
I vote for the 64 tourney. That game is way more fun. I don't know if I'll make this either. Besides 10$ is too much for me to want to play a game. It maybe good experience to be in a tourney, but playing with newer people is a much better experience.

Randizzle

Smash Ace
Bring whatever you can. Certainly it'd be nicer to have some bigger TVs, but we'll take small TVs too. If we have a lot of setups, we'll set aside a few smaller TVs entirely for friendlies.

masteraj

Smash Rookie
lol i am, i still think smash is fun. Also, if i can come i could bring a cube and smash but not a tv.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
jeez, you guys just HAD to put UofM a freaking HOUR away from me, didnt you. why did you put it there?

i dont know if i want to drive that far for these, i might come to the first one, if im in a good mood...

oh yeah my vote goes to ssb64. (can i vote for lain is dumb too??? i really want both of them...)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
oh, you do want to drive an hour. It's totally worth it, plus, what would it be w/o one of the best jiggs'n around. Course Andrew's probably gonna be there... whoa, two good jiggs'n. scary.

The Lain is Dumb is just a different name for what lain voted for (smashwalking falcos only)

Randizzle

Smash Ace
petre, you should see about carpooling with other people around your area. I remember montross mentioned that he'd be up for a few of these, and i'm sure there are several other too.

Top Bottom