• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoVa BeHoLd: New Cenacle Tourney in Williamsburg, VA

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
UPDATED FOR THE TOURNEY ON THE 29TH OF JUNE, 2008

Where: 201 Charter House Lane
Williamsburg, VA 23188

Entry: (As stated below)

$10 per tourney
$5 venue (subject to change if RSVP/turnout is too low; if RSVP is too low, then venue will be raised beforehand; if turnout is too low, venue will be taken from prize pool)

Prizes: (As stated Below)

1 70%
2 30%

Singles and Doubles; SmashFest to precede/follow depending on time we start tourney.

SETUPS will greatly be appreciated.

Brawl will happen ONLY upon request and if people bring enough Brawl setups. I cannot guarantee Brawl; PM me to coordinate. I also cannot provide a ruleset for Brawl because I don't know where to find one; I would suggest someone else bring a printed set of rules to "officially" be used. Lastly, if Brawl happens, there will be singles and doubles plus an additional tourney fee (probably $10).

I'll have to go see for exact numbers, but it has one main room (prolly 8 setups) one smaller living room (6) and one storage room (where chairs and tables are kept; if these chairs and tables are put to use, then extra setups may be put in here). Ill check out exact numbers when I get a chance. The rooms are larger than their outlets suggest, so with extension cords/surge protects, they should fit more than predetermined. BTW it has a kitchen (for drinks), a some small furniture (no spilling doritos), a porch (if things get too crowded, u can always step outside), a pool (no, u cant enter; u are not allowed in), and a big @$$ backyard (for football, dodgeball, hackysak...w/e u ppl like 2 do). **I called it a cenacle tourney because I knew it would get your attention!!!!! HAHA IT WORKED --and if you looked it up to see what it is, no, No DINNER will be provided :p

RULES:
General rules:

Double elimination, 4 stock, 8 min time.
Life stealing ALLOWED in teams.
Items OFF
Team attack ON

Controllers

1. You are responsible for bringing your own controller.
2. Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. Tournament staff may randomly inspect any controller at their discretion. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be immediately disqualified from the tournament.
3. Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer.

Stages:

Random selcet.
Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, [DK 64, Rainbow Cruise(teams only)], Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium, [Fountain of Dreams (singles only)] .

BANNED.
Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Fourside, Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom 1, Venom, Yoshi's Island 64, Peach's Castle, and Kongo Jungle, Onett, Great Bay, Mushroom Kingdom 2 and Mute City(teams only)

Counterpick.
any non-banned stages are open for counterpick.

Stage & Character Selection:
The stage for Game 1 will be selected at random unless both players/teams can agree on a stage. After the stage has been randomly selected each player/team may call for a reset. Each player/team can only call for a reset once during a series. If a reset is called, another stage must be randomly selected. The stage that was first selected can't be randomly selected again, but is still available for a counter pick.
No stage may be used twice in a Best of 3 or Best of 5 Series. The random select stages are the only stages that may be used more than once in a best of 11 series.
After characters have been selected for the first game, each player/team may choose to knock out one stage. Stages that are knocked out won't be used during the series. Random select stages can't be knocked out. The lower seeded player/team must make their knockout selection first. Once the first game has started, stages can't be knocked out.
After each game of a series, the player who lost the previous game may choose the stage for the next game or elect for it to be chosen randomly. After the stage has been selected, the winner of the previous game may change characters. After the winner has chosen their character, the loser of the previous game may change characters.

Other Rules & Special Issues
1. Any unnecessary pausing of the game will result in a forfeit of that single game.
2. Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the game or makes it unable to be finished are banned and will result in the immediate forfeit of the entire match.
3. Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. If by using one of these tactics, you have put your character in a place to lose a stock by ending the tactic, a judge may force you to stop and lose a life and continue the match short a stock.

Tournament Format
· Double Elimination according to this chart: http://www.crowsdarts.com/brackets/16bracket.doc or
http://www.crowsdarts.com/brackets/32bracket.doc
depends on turnout
· All matches except the semifinals and finals will be best of 2/3
· Semifinal matches will be the best of 3/5
· The finals will be the best of 4/7

Prizes
*Note: Percentages are calculated after the venue fee has been subtracted from the total pool. They are subject to change if turnout is too low.
· 1st place: 70%
· 2nd place: 30%

Level Selection
· Game 1 will be selected at random, unless both players can agree on one stage.
· After a random select, each player can call for a reset. Each player can only call for one reset during one series. Once a reset is called, the stage must be selected again at random. The original stage cannot be selected for this reset, but it can be selected for a counter pick.
· No stage may be used twice in a best of 3 or a best of 5 series. Random picked stages, however, are beside this rule. For example, random selected stages that have already been played are legal; however, counter-picks cannot be the same as a previously played random stage.
· After both characters have been selected for the first game, both players may choose to knock out one stage. Stages having been knocked out may not be counter-picked; however, randomly selected stages are beside this rule. Once the first game has started. Stages can no longer be knocked out.
· After each game, the loser may choose the next level or have it chosen randomly. After the level has been chosen, the winner of the previous game may change characters. After the winner has chosen his character, the loser may change his character.
· RANDOM STAGES (these will be set for random): Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi’s Story, Dreamland 64, Pokemon Stadium; Fountain of Dreams (singles only); DK64 and Rainbow Cruise (teams only)
· BANNED STAGES (these can not be played under any circumstance during the tournament): Yoshi’s Island, Fourside, Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom I, Venom, Yoshi’s Island 64, Peach’s Castle, Kongo Jungle, Onett, Great Bay, Mushroom Kingdom 2; PokeFloats (banned for singles only); Mute City (banned for teams only)
· COUNTERPICK (these can be picked by players given the right to select the stage): All random stages, Corneria, Green Greens, Brinstar

Results posted: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=2684197#post2684197 **From the Tourney in 2007

Original Post:
More specifically, to those of you in the tidewater area (im in Williamsburg)

WE NEED TOURNEYS! Im fairly new here, so I don't know exactly where a post like this should go. If i'm in the wrong, please direct me somewhere more fitting, but for now, we must discuss what we can do to bring the smash community to the Peninsula (I'd like headquarters to be in Williamsburg ;-) I mean, going to Newport News to play against the one cousin I have who is actually good at smash is fun, but I want a range of competition, and Im sure u do too! So why not solve our own problems? Post here if ur in the area and would like to raise a community around the tidewater area.

Who is to say that Calif. and NY should hog all the fun.

WE will rise as the new SMASH PROS!

EDIT: (See post below)

PM me (u can pm on smashboards right?) if u want to know how to contact me

kirbstir

Smash Lord
There are plenty of tourneys in the NOVA region. Check the regional forums, under "North Atlantic."

SOVA smash events, however, are much rarer.

O-NO

Smash Journeyman
Vallejo CA! (for lowlifes that dont know) Teh Bea
There are plenty of tourneys in the NOVA region. Check the regional forums, under "North Atlantic."

SOVA smash events, however, are much rarer.
LIES!!!
We have biweeklys on a pretty normal basis in newport news , theres a tourny coming up at c-sticks in Virginia Beach, and Kitsine is having a pokemon/Smash tourny in june also.

pay attention to the boards and youll find plenty of tournament stuffs out here.

;)

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
yeah, basically anything that goes down in SoVa you'll find in O-No's thread.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=87644&page=84

also, Va Beach, Norfolk, and Newport News smashers all play some what regularly so there is some what of a smash community dowm here and it wouldn't be bad to have some representation from williamsburg either.

just look in O-No's thread, it's pretty much the SoVa thread

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
After spending a few months checking out o-no's thread and trying to join a loop of smashers from norfolk and va beach (too far away to travel for tourneys), I have decided that I would really like to start making a community closer to home (newport news, yorktown, williamsburg, hampton, new kent, gloucester, etc.). There is good competition around here, but people never show their faces. Again, I ask that people in this area raise their hands. If I must be the person to host tourneys and fests, so be it. I have the resources and a good location; I just need people in numbers to support tourneys. Maybe after a while, this thread can attract people from the other SoVa thread.

Cow

Smash Apprentice
there's just not enough dedication, i guess. the reason the sova community starts in virginia beach and stretches up as far as richmond at times is because it has to. for now though, i wouldn't try to think of it as a different community from the current one. if you've got a good venue, you're a step ahead of a lot of us down here. we've just gotta get people to come, and keep coming.

ajphctp46

Smash Apprentice
I'm in Williamsburg starting Aug 25th-ish, for the upcoming semester. Are you a student? There's a couple of us who play on campus a fair amount, we've been meaning to get to O-NO's stuff, but usually school gets in the way... Maybe the beginning of the semester, if i'm not rusty as hell from the summer.

If you host a tourney actually in Wmburg, (when school's in), then a fair number of people will come.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
I'm in Williamsburg starting Aug 25th-ish, for the upcoming semester. Are you a student? There's a couple of us who play on campus a fair amount, we've been meaning to get to O-NO's stuff, but usually school gets in the way... Maybe the beginning of the semester, if i'm not rusty as hell from the summer.

If you host a tourney actually in Wmburg, (when school's in), then a fair number of people will come.
Thats cool. Im in school, only I go to JHS (not college =/) so I might not get nearly enough time to host in school. But do u know if w&m has any public venues to rent or something? The clubhouse in my neighborhood is the only place i have available and its kinda small. Furthermore, do u know of smashers @ w&m? i only know of ppl from the high school and they are the most n00bler players i know...i have to noob to beat them and thas not good practice at all

Cow

Smash Apprentice
Well, the first thing you need is a little bit more information on the locale. An address people can mapquest to to see how far away it is, a little bit of info on the place (how big/small is it, how many setups could it possibly hold, etc.), and possibly a new, more apt title to garner some attention. Anyway, Williamsburg can't be *too* far away from me, so I can bring one full setup.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Well, the first thing you need is a little bit more information on the locale. An address people can mapquest to to see how far away it is, a little bit of info on the place (how big/small is it, how many setups could it possibly hold, etc.), and possibly a new, more apt title to garner some attention. Anyway, Williamsburg can't be *too* far away from me, so I can bring one full setup.
Thanks

Ill update right away!

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
hmm....
theo, we need to host it with about 2 TV's on the first tourney

and VCR's for recording
any prizes??
we need to plan this stuff theoo!! >_>

the 28th is only 18 days away!! less than 3 weeks!

cow, what character do u play?

I'm a Link
Crystal's a Fox

O-NO

Smash Journeyman
ive been quite busy lately with it being summer and all. beyond that we lost out venue and im in need of another location.

after running consistent tourney for about 9 months or so ive found that all you need to get a good deal of people is just to BE CONSISTENT! no one want to plan to go to a tourney that may not happen (such was the case with out last venue ~.~;). it will take time to get a fan base to where youll have 15-20+ every tourney, but if you run your tourneys smooth with a proper rule set people WILL play.
im just glad to see another smasher in sova trying to step it up and HOST. we have very few players with the ability to host for one reason or another (me, c-stick, and few others) so we miss lots of game time and whatnot.

all i know for sure is, if you host a tourney, for the good of the community ill do everything i can to pull in players. if you can keep it consistent, people WILL play. run it well and the rest will fall into place.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
ive been quite busy lately with it being summer and all. beyond that we lost out venue and im in need of another location.

after running consistent tourney for about 9 months or so ive found that all you need to get a good deal of people is just to BE CONSISTENT! no one want to plan to go to a tourney that may not happen (such was the case with out last venue ~.~;). it will take time to get a fan base to where youll have 15-20+ every tourney, but if you run your tourneys smooth with a proper rule set people WILL play.
im just glad to see another smasher in sova trying to step it up and HOST. we have very few players with the ability to host for one reason or another (me, c-stick, and few others) so we miss lots of game time and whatnot.

all i know for sure is, if you host a tourney, for the good of the community ill do everything i can to pull in players. if you can keep it consistent, people WILL play. run it well and the rest will fall into place.
k thanks. Ill try my best to make this thing happen. Ill update right away!

I will be out of town, without internet, for ten days starting this saturday. If you have questions/suggestions, comment asap. ty

O-NO

Smash Journeyman
dont worry about whos all going to be there. im telling you from my experience, dont expect a large number of people to show up for the very first tourney you throw. your still fairly new to the boards. the first tourney i held had about 17 people, but that only because i knew alot of smashers in the area (after playing in the area competitively for 3 years). then it went down to 12 because some of the new players dident want to get owned again and loose $ (lots of smashers out here are cheap/broke ~.~; ) its going to rise and fall.
all you really need to know is how many set ups your going to have. so far im assuming you have at least 2-3 of your own. you can count me for one.

this tourney is on the 28th and is CONFIRMED right?

Cow

Smash Apprentice
Entry
· $10 Entry; covers venue and prize pool

Prizes
*Note: Percentages are calculated after the venue fee has been subtracted from the total pool. They are subject to change if turnout is too low.
· 1st place: 65%
· 2nd place: 20%
· Host(s): 15%
Now, that 15% hosts is for venue, or is that just host profit? Because the latter is generally frowned upon in the Smash Community. Realistically, you can charge a percentage based venue fee, and use that money to continue running tournaments. Ideally you'll break even, or even make some money back, but that money you make back should be going into future tournaments or accommodations for the current one. Its hard enough to get people to come to these, so you need all you can going for you. The only money you should be able to pocket at your own tournament is money you win.

Also, are you planning on doing teams and singles or just singles?

And for how long can you rent the place out? That might come into play for deciding about running teams or not, though i'd recommend running teams if at all possible. Also remember when planning a time that if you say you want to start the tournament at 12, people will probably start showing up at 12, and you'll end up running at like 1 or 1:30, its kind of just a law of nature with smashers. See if you can procure tvs, its a lot easier for people coming in to just bring a system than lug a tv around.

and to answer a question from a few posts back, I'm a fox player.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
I am trying to go about reserving a spot for us on the 28th so that i can confirm the date. A possible conflict with another group may push us back to having to have the tourney begin earlier in the morning (i.e. anywhere from 9 am to 11 am). Could someone tell me how long these things usually last? Is the morning too inconvenient or not? For example, if people are willing to come early (say 9), we could have time for singles and doubles (the place would be available until 1-2). If not, we may reserve a limited time for constricted smash time. If both options are not possible to you experienced tourney ppl, then we may just puch it back to Sunday (the 29th). Whats the best option?

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
Now, that 15% hosts is for venue, or is that just host profit? Because the latter is generally frowned upon in the Smash Community. Realistically, you can charge a percentage based venue fee, and use that money to continue running tournaments. Ideally you'll break even, or even make some money back, but that money you make back should be going into future tournaments or accommodations for the current one. Its hard enough to get people to come to these, so you need all you can going for you. The only money you should be able to pocket at your own tournament is money you win.

Also, are you planning on doing teams and singles or just singles?

And for how long can you rent the place out? That might come into play for deciding about running teams or not, though i'd recommend running teams if at all possible. Also remember when planning a time that if you say you want to start the tournament at 12, people will probably start showing up at 12, and you'll end up running at like 1 or 1:30, its kind of just a law of nature with smashers. See if you can procure tvs, its a lot easier for people coming in to just bring a system than lug a tv around.

and to answer a question from a few posts back, I'm a fox player.

Well, yeah im sure he meant Host(s)... like its going to us, but it will be used BY us to make future tournaments. I tried to get him to make the entry fee $5 but i guess he wants there to be sum kind of "Big Prize".. w/e.

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
dont worry about whos all going to be there. im telling you from my experience, dont expect a large number of people to show up for the very first tourney you throw. your still fairly new to the boards. the first tourney i held had about 17 people, but that only because i knew alot of smashers in the area (after playing in the area competitively for 3 years). then it went down to 12 because some of the new players dident want to get owned again and loose $ (lots of smashers out here are cheap/broke ~.~; ) its going to rise and fall.
all you really need to know is how many set ups your going to have. so far im assuming you have at least 2-3 of your own. you can count me for one.

this tourney is on the 28th and is CONFIRMED right?
and yes it is CONFIRMED!!
but if ANYTHING were to come up, we will schedule another date at the same place before mid-august

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Well, yeah im sure he meant Host(s)... like its going to us, but it will be used BY us to make future tournaments. I tried to get him to make the entry fee $5 but i guess he wants there to be sum kind of "Big Prize".. w/e.
Im testing the waters. Yes a percentage of the money < will go to my party, but it will be used for the benefit of the smash community. If I dont need it for future tourneys, then it will go into the next prize pool. None will be pocketed.

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
oh wow, people... it maybe moved over to the 29th.
if your sleeping schedules aren't suitable to waking up from 8A.M.-11A.M.
then we may just move it to sunday,29.
if so, we might have more time to play and hang out.. and it will start later in the day

It depends on what you all perfer.
(this is our first PUBLIC tourney, so we want yalls opinions)

Cow

Smash Apprentice
The way its been around here, i wouldn't start a tournament much earlier than 11 am at the absolute earliest, so I'd recommend another day if at all possible. of course, i suppose some other people's opinions wouldn't hurt.

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
alright then we'll see if anyone rented the clubhouse sunday.
Then it'll start around 12 maybe...
Me n crystal r getting together tomorrow to plan everything, so all confirmed information will be posted July 13-14.

Senko Zero

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4940-5527-1789
Heh, new tourney up in the Burg eh? I'm down for going, helping the new scene up there out. Starting popping with Ascendency so let's try getting it up over there too.

Otis if you're going think I could catch a ride with you? I'm on the way lol, and if Dragonz isn't going.....well....I can't.

Cow

Smash Apprentice
me and my group of friends will be coming to this (anywhere b/w 2-5 people depending).

I play C.Falcon, Falco, Jiggs, G&W

hope you guys can pull some more people.
wait, are you coming down to this from woodbridge? Thats a hell of a trip.

Israfel

Smash Journeyman
The way its been around here, i wouldn't start a tournament much earlier than 11 am at the absolute earliest, so I'd recommend another day if at all possible. of course, i suppose some other people's opinions wouldn't hurt.
Cow speaks truth. Also, we should to teams. : D

Senko Zero

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4940-5527-1789
If you play Smash, gotta get used to the bird with that d@mn gun and even worse sheild of his.

He's a ******* for bringing a gun to a:
fist/sword/bomb/bow/boomerang/turnip/Toad/skirt/hammer/missle/really big shining ball/needle/sleep fight. I mean come on Falco, a GUN?! What type of message is Nintendo trying to give to kids nowadays?!

Wish I could help with the match-up, but I only play Link a little on the side so I wouldn't know anything other then keep him above you and keep doing anything that has Up in it as he's a fast faller.

Top Bottom