• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ink Dropping Summary (I did not coin the term)

Inkslinger

Smash Ace
This is a short summary of how the name ink dropping came to be and it's implementation.

Well, day 1 of brawl, when I was playing brawl along with other known socal players (hugs, gimpy, dsf) i would always stumble and fall, people didn't know how to do it and neither did I but i kept doing it,:laugh: so gimpyfish decided to call it the ink drop

Then on a match i dash past the opponent and turned around and grabbed him from behind 0_o. We were all astonished and didn't know a way to explain it, until we came to the conclusion that I somehow canceled that fall.

The theory gimpy and I came up with was that every time you do a long dash and turn around you fall instead of having that laggy turn around. Well Day 2 and we tried it and we weren't able to fall because the laggy turn around was still there.

I found a way to do the fall, but i was longer able to cancel it. So I warn you guys that
it might not be possible to cancel the ink drop, but there's a possibility we have to work with.

As for the name itself, i think the falling or stumble should be nicknamed the ink drop because it funny silly name that can be shared among our community. I feel this nickname should stay even if the developers themselves have a name for it. The developers
call fox's down b the reflector, but do we? no we call it the shine and that's a term that gives that is shared among the subculture of competitive play (there are other tons of examples)
If you are able to cancel the fall and do that pivot i did, perhaps a name that suits the technique should be used like "long dash pivot", but "ink drop cancel" may also be appropriate (i really don't care). . Ink drop suits the fall because when you drop ink, it's a mess and that exactly what happens when you fall in brawl, you are left vulnerable, but this may be a useful way to mindgame someone >_<

That's what i propose for the naming, but i really don't mind >_>, I'll tell you guys thought, that brawl is definitely not melee 2.0, to find new techniques you have to think outside the box, because your typical melee metagame knowledge can only take you so far............This game seems slower and mindgame oriented as opposed to melee and i feel it will be a lot easier to get into the competitive play of brawl, which can make a lot of ppl happy. But the big gaps of skill may still be there with people like m2k and isai playing the game.

I'll also let you guys know that i might be a while to respond, because i'm very busy with school and other activities. :)

Also of course the name of the technique has to suit it's purpose, i've already written an explanation of why ink drop is suiting, so we know we that's it's dumb to always name things after a player, wouldn't it be boring (but somewhat cool) to have everything named after Isai? because he will sure find his share of stuff LOL.

Hugs also came up with a way to edgehog really quick (see gimpy's thread) and we named it hugging because it actually suited the action itself, not just because we really wanted hugs to have a technique after himself.

edit (had to see) I did not suggest the name!!!!!!!! and second i don't care at all really the dropping itself will be cool to be "nicknamed" (key word as this might get an official name) but in the end i don't care what you guys call it, same for the cancel.

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
Ink drop suits the fall because when you drop ink, it's a mess and that exactly what happens when you fall in brawl
XD

Still, Ink drop>dash cancel or dash pivot cancel or tumble or trip or blablablablawhatever.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
The problem is some people just find the name Ink Drop distasteful. I know obviously you don't feel that way or you wouldn't have "Inkslinger" as a user name, but many people associate "Ink Dropping" with something kind of gross.

Also, its not as obvious as the other suggested name, Trip, for what it means. As one who reads message boards a lot, it gets tiring having a name people don't understand being explained over and over and over again. I think people will ask what Trip means far less often than what "Ink Drop" means once everyone has played the game and are tripping all over the place.

I will continue to call it a Trip (and potentially Trip-Cancel) and welcome any others who think Ink Drop is distasteful and/or confusing to use that name. Think of it as a backup name if it makes you feel better.

It may be that we just have 2 names for it, which isn't unheard of, and one will eventually be more commonly recognized than the other. Just like sex kicks and NAir, because some people find the name "sex kick" to not be something they want to use in casual conversations about Smash techniques and would rather call it NAir. By the same token, I suspect some people would rather not use "Ink Drop" when talking about moves with their friends and can use "Trip" instead, and they can be interchangable on the more knowledgable Smash community sites.

Inkslinger

Smash Ace
Sounds good Zauron, Sex Kick and Nair is a perfect example I'm sure it will vary by region too, i think most of Socal will call it the ink drop, but i really don't mind just stumble or fall.

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
Well, apparently on Day 2 they had trouble doing it again... so I think we may need to find exactly what it is, what you're cancelling (and what you're not cancelling), etc. before trying to name it based of the action you're doing.

If we call it Trip, for example, and the find out later that it has nothing to do with that (but is done in a similar way that results in the seperate technique) we'd end up renaming it again.

Inkslinger said that they had trouble performing it the next day (though obviously after two days their Brawl technical skills aren't going to be perfected). I'd personally just wait 'til Brawl is out and we can dissect it. Otherwise we'll end up calling stuff four different things before we're done.

My two cents.

joenopride

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I don't have any problem with the name Ink Drop, but I've seen that other people have. The main reason I would want to keep Ink Drop is that it is a unique name that is distinctly our own. Wavedashing, stolen from Tekken, SHFFL'ing, an acronym of how we perform the technique, edgeguarding, what we do when we are protecting the edge.

There is nothing wrong with the names Trip, and Trip-Cancel either. They are descriptive and get the point across. My only beef with them is that they are blander names, and could be lost in a sea of other techniques that become the "Noun-Cancel".

Joshua368

Smash Apprentice
My main problems with the name "Ink Drop" are that...

> It's misleading and random as a technique name
> Inkslinger is hardly worthy to have the technique named after him, it's not like he discovered it on his own and made it a useful and well-known aspect of his metagame (as opposed to wobbling or the ken combo)

Inkslinger

Smash Ace
lol joshua read please, i discovered the way to do it on my own and made it useful. I'm just not able to cancel it anymore, but there might be a way.

WarxePB

Smash Ace
Ink drop is a unique name that describes the technique, but Tripping is a technical name that sounds better in conversation. Ink drop is somewhat distasteful, tripping is bland. Both names have merits, both names have flaws.

I personally prefer tripping, but that's just my preference for technical names.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Well, apparently on Day 2 they had trouble doing it again... so I think we may need to find exactly what it is, what you're cancelling (and what you're not cancelling), etc. before trying to name it based of the action you're doing.

If we call it Trip, for example, and the find out later that it has nothing to do with that (but is done in a similar way that results in the seperate technique) we'd end up renaming it again.

Inkslinger said that they had trouble performing it the next day (though obviously after two days their Brawl technical skills aren't going to be perfected). I'd personally just wait 'til Brawl is out and we can dissect it. Otherwise we'll end up calling stuff four different things before we're done.

My two cents.
Its true we don't understand the cancelling, but at the very least the main move itself can be called a Trip safely as we've seen the CPU's do it. Or even an Ink Drop, if that's your preferred name. We know there's a move where you fall over and roll back up again, and naming that should have no issues at all.

Here's the gif's once again, its clearly a well-defined animated move put in the game on purpose by the devs. Its safe to name THIS portion of it:

What we can't accurately call it yet is Trip-Cancel or things of that nature, since we don't know for sure you can cancel it. Its possible from Inkslayer's description that what he really did was Wyvern's Dash Brake into a quick pivot and grab.

(Dash Brake reference:
)

As far as we know, the Trip may not even be a good move at all. It may just be a punishment for screwing up and just leaves you vulnerable with no usefulness besides perhaps a mindgame of "hey look I screwed up come and get me, no wait I rolled out of it, HA!". Or perhaps it can be used similar to the technique with Ness of using his Up+B to hit himself straight down into the ground so he's lying there and can use his wakeup moves.

EDIT: Since we can no longer be confident it can be cancelled, I'm going to remove that statement in the Yoshi .gif and I will edit the description in my questions thread momentarily to only state what we do know for sure about it.

Japanese Monk

Smash Journeyman
Ink Drop isnt that bad to me....But its not something that I think fits it. I think Dash Pivot or Trip Cancel would be good.

BTW, its just easier to call it "shine" (shorter and 1 syllable) than "reflector".

I don't think people should name demo things just yet. Not to mention Sakurai could be looking @ us and say. "OMG NOOOOEEES" and then remove it...lol not really.

But I think finding something amazing like wavedash warrants a name after the discoverer. This on the other hand is NOTHING like that.

Not to mention its just not fair. Zauron did all the work of finding it and you basically do it by accident and name it after urself.

I first saw this when Zauron brought it to my attention...NOT YOU OR GIMPY. Just because you guys played it and DID it first doesnt mean anything.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Japanese Monk is completely right. Inkslinger, I don't know you. And I don't want to attack you or flame you or anything. You could be a fantastic guy, for all I know.

But you did not discover this. Zauron's Yoshi gif was up in the official questions thread a week before E for All even actually started. I think, frankly, you're being a little selfish. Your description of why Ink Drop is a descriptive name is complete Bunk. Can you honestly argue that Ink Drop is more descriptive than Trip? I think you're right on one count. It is "dumb to always name things after a player." And if Tripping has any real tactical merit, if trip-cancelling turns out to be possible and becomes an important part of the metagame, then the accepted name for this action has an impact on dozens of other amalgam names for techniques, like Wavedashing-->wavelanding, waveshine. Any related technique will draw upon the term for this action.

I'm not mean, really. I just think you're being vain. A suitable technical, descriptive name needs to be established if this becomes a useful combing technique. Not a creative, silly one.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
People have already gotten used to Ink Drop, it's not changing.

Many things in SSBM are given silly names, that's just the way of the community.

Inkslinger

Smash Ace
I was the first to implemented into my game but, in reality i didn't even name it for myself, if you read carefully gimpy made the term and actually supports it even more than I. It might not be that descriptive, but it sure is becoming very popular. Sex Kick doesn't make sense to me as a smash term, but it stayed because of it's popularity. Like mentioned before, i don't care, i just wanted to explain a couple things, so people don't get wrong ideas, like you just did.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
People have already gotten used to Ink Drop, it's not changing.

Many things in SSBM are given silly names, that's just the way of the community.
You, sir, are wrong. As has been pointed out before, many moves started out with a "cute" or "silly" name that later was changed to a more descriptive name, and the original silly name is no longer in use. Generally, only silly names that happened to be very descriptive or saved the effort of having to type out a description every time you talked about it stuck for the long term.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Because sex kick, wavedashing, and wobbling are very descriptive, right?

I dunno why you care so much. People aren't going to understand a name right away no matter WHAT it is. To fully understand it, your gonna have to look it up. Pivot Dash Cancel is going to have to be looked up. I don't see the difference here.

What's the point of a descriptive name?

If anything, changing the name will only lead to more confusion.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Mr.GAW, how many people do you honestly think visit these boards? The term arose now barely 2 days ago. How can you possibly conceive that a majority of Brawl players are not only already familiar with the term Ink drop, but also prefer to use it.

On these forums alone, there's clearly a chasm between users. There's not even a unified consensus HERE, how can ALL of the players of Brawl possibly already know and accept Ink Drop?

Your claim is completely ridiculous! Now is EXACTLY the time to discuss this, now is exactly when the term is NOT accepted. Now is the time to discuss its merits. It is not written in stone yet.

peachori

Smash Journeyman
is the trip/stumble really that important anyway? it seems to me that the important part is the cancel, and we may as well just call that inkcancelling. i mean, it is a cancel, and the names not all that irrelevant. why is it called inkcancelling? because ink was the first to use it. see, not hard at all.

plus then we can have cool derivatives, like inkgrabbing or inksmashing, which imo are better names than trip-cancelled grab or whatever. then again thats just my personal opinion so its pretty much irrelevant. of course, afaik, wavelanding or wavedashing or waveshining have no correlation to a wave of any kind, but then again i'm no smash term etymologist.

in all likelihood it will end up being like da dash/pivot, ie a matter of personal preference.

joenopride

Smash Journeyman
You, sir, are wrong. As has been pointed out before, many moves started out with a "cute" or "silly" name that later was changed to a more descriptive name, and the original silly name is no longer in use. Generally, only silly names that happened to be very descriptive or saved the effort of having to type out a description every time you talked about it stuck for the long term.
How come people don't use ANA anymore? Most people I know say sex kick over ANA.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Mr.GAW, how many people do you honestly think visit these boards? The term arose now barely 2 days ago. How can you possibly conceive that a majority of Brawl players are not only already familiar with the term Ink drop, but also prefer to use it.

On these forums alone, there's clearly a chasm between users. There's not even a unified consensus HERE, how can ALL of the players of Brawl possibly already know and accept Ink Drop?

Your claim is completely ridiculous! Now is EXACTLY the time to discuss this, now is exactly when the term is NOT accepted. Now is the time to discuss its merits. It is not written in stone yet.
The people who don't use these boards will never know ANY of the terms. I never said or suggested that those who are not competitive players should or will know about this term. The only point of even HAVING a name is so that competetives of this board can comforatble use a term that everyone understands. There's already a name that most active users of this board know about, and there is no point in changing it.

Your entire post is full of assumptions and disillusions.

6th Sense

Smash Lord
My main problems with the name "Ink Drop" are that...

> It's misleading and random as a technique name
> Inkslinger is hardly worthy to have the technique named after him, it's not like he discovered it on his own and made it a useful and well-known aspect of his metagame (as opposed to wobbling or the ken combo)
So says the noob.

Ink Drop is the name. People should stop b1tching. Everybody's just making a big fuss about it because its the first new adv. tech for Brawl. Get over it people

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Mr.GAW, new users are going to JOIN these boards. Brand new competitive players will arise. Casual players looking to improve their game are going to come here. And you know what? When you first go looking for advanced Melee techs, Wavedashing is a silly name. Where the hell did it come from, right? It's name doesn't tell you anything about it. An L-cancel? I can at least guess what that involves. Wavedashing is probably poorly named. What we have now is an opportunity to stop such naive and silly naming, before it becomes prominent in Brawl.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Like I said, a partial understanding from a name is useless. Please stop fussing over nothing. A new user isn't going to understand trip cancelling or pivot dash cancelling at first either.

Inkslinger

Smash Ace
k, guys, i might be a while to respond as i have homework and will be going for brawl tomorrow. Gimpy is writing a lot of stuff down and after e for all is done, we will go further in depth with the ink drop.

Icy_Eagle

Smash Journeyman
Mr.GAW, new users are going to JOIN these boards. Brand new competitive players will arise. Casual players looking to improve their game are going to come here. And you know what? When you first go looking for advanced Melee techs, Wavedashing is a silly name. Where the hell did it come from, right? It's name doesn't tell you anything about it. An L-cancel? I can at least guess what that involves. Wavedashing is probably poorly named. What we have now is an opportunity to stop such naive and silly naming, before it becomes prominent in Brawl.
Yeah, because as soon as new people see tripping and trip-canceling they'll know exactly what everyone is talking about :rolleyes:
Really why does it matter, call it whatever you wanna call it and stop trying to force people who wanna call inkdropping something else

Kimosabae

Smash Journeyman
Looks more like a dive, than anything...

Interesting looking mechanic, to say the least.

*edit*

There are also clearly visible invincibility frames in the animations...

-Syn

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Concerning the other thread that just got closed, I wanted to say I don't doubt that you did it, ink, you just misunderstood because I used bad word choice. I was proving somebody else wrong about something else.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
I appreciate Inkslinger's honesty at least. He doesn't know how to do the move out of an idle. He can't duplicate it reliably. He doesn't know for sure if it can be cancelled. He admits this freely.

So, if Ken could not duplicate the "Ken Combo" and didn't know exactly how it worked, would it be called that? Would "Wobbling" be called that if Wobble could only do it occassionally and couldn't even give a detailed answer on how to do it and what uses it has? I don't think so.

Ink hasn't done enough with this move to have it named after him. Its a basic move that a CPU character was seen doing a week beforehand. It should be named something basic to match the fact that it is a basic move that newbies will be able to do within a day of getting the game.

I expect this thread to also be locked, hopefully enough people have listened to reason that we can move on to figuring out how a Trip can actually be used.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
yeah, I hope you guys experiment with this more
-What character were you using?
-Perhaps when you turned around you may have somehow done some sort of reverse JC grab?
-Try using the grab on different frames
-Maybe just doing grab->direction makes you grab that way?
-Hyphen-

EDIT: Zauron, let it die. This is not a thread open to discuss the name, don't let it be closed

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
There are better threads already in place to discuss the use of advanced tactics. This thread was clearly started as a response to the other thread about the moves name. Most of the first post is discussing the history of the name. I think it should also be closed and a thread designated for discussing new techniques should be used instead for talking about its use in the metagame.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Zauron, the only reason I can think of that justifies why you continue to argue this is that you are spiteful that it is named after inkslinger when you feel that finding it first makes you the true "discoverer."

I am frustrated that you continue to push this.

He never said he can't do it consistantly, and he is the first one to grasp the concept and predict it's uses.

Even so, it's not a matter of whether he is worthy enough for it to be named after him, it's a matter of what has stuck and what is generally accepted.

EDIT: Also, I created a thread yesterday that is about discussing new advanced tech.'s, just so you all know.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
no... it's just because if you started a new thread about the name it would close

about the technique again, exactly how fast was the grab? was it like instant, or did you actually start the roll first?
of course he;ll be offline for awhile... but oh well

and read gimpy's sig

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Zauron, the only reason I can think of that justifies why you continue to argue this is that you are spiteful that it is named after inkslinger when you feel that finding it first makes you the true "discoverer."

I am frustrated that you continue to push this.

He never said he can't do it consistantly, and he is the first one to grasp the concept and predict it's uses.

Even so, it's not a matter of whether he is worthy enough for it to be named after him, it's a matter of what has stuck and what is generally accepted.
If that were the case, don't you think I'd be asking it to be named after me? And I really don't think 2 days of use on this board means the name has "stuck".

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
yes it has stuck, and even if you didn't want the name moved after you, you would still take credit for finding it

ooh, new idea before I leave for homecoming

perhaps you just did a DD? How far did you actually go?
and if it was a trip, have you experimented with rolling/shielding/jumping with it?

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
If that were the case, don't you think I'd be asking it to be named after me?
No, I don't. That's why I used the word "spiteful" instead of "jealous".

And I really don't think 2 days of use on this board means the name has "stuck".

Well, that's your opinion. I think 2 days is definetly enough time for people to be comfortable with it, especially on the internet. What difference does it make, anyway?

Top Bottom