• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lyn (Fire Emblem) Discussion Thread

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Man, PoR was so lame. With the first two, I looked forward and dreaded the final levels, because they were insanely fun and the final levels, meaning no more (not including SS openness). But I finished PoR just so I can finish it. I was so bored that I would just start killing off people.
It was a lot harder to kill a team member than it should've been by the way....the beginning was fun since the characters all sucked, so you needed skill, but then it was just Ownage...and too much.
Besides that, the story and hero were lame as can be. Cliche to the max.

GBA Fire Emblems were so much better. ANY lord other than Ike will be good. Especially Lyn and Hector.

hao chi

Smash Cadet
I really hope Lyn is in SSBB. About there being too many swordsmen (in the case swordswomen?); I wouldn't mind if they got rid of Roy and added Lyn and somebody else from FE (though I'd rather not have to get rid of any characters).

zombie7775

Smash Lord
I really hope Lyn is in SSBB. About there being too many swordsmen (in the case swordswomen?); I wouldn't mind if they got rid of Roy and added Lyn and somebody else from FE.
Roy and Lyn should both be in. He just needs altered a little.

hao chi

Smash Cadet
Lol, this place is fast. Anyways, I edited my earlier post saying I'd rather not have to get rid of anybody, but if I had to pick one swordsmen to ditch for Lyn it'd be Roy (sorry Roy fans).

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
As much as I like Roy, chances are he will be dropped as he's pretty much overshadowed by Marth. If they have to replace him, I'd like it to be Lyn who takes his place.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
Roy, Marth and Lynn would represent the series nicely and Sigurd has no chance if he is a Japanese only character. Miyamoto said no more Japan only characters would be added which left it open for Marth and Roy to return and that is it.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
I would really like it if she got in....

and to the Basement boy, SAKURAI said that he doesnt want too many Japanese only characters in, not axe them out completely. but i think even if it did had alot of Japanese only, it would still sell well anywhere due to the line of known and popular characters.

Anyways there are only a few Japanese only characters, and the most popular are:

Sigurd
Lip
Demiru
Takamaru
Ouendan group (can be replaced by the Eliet Beat Agents)

Compared to the roughly 30+ worldwide known characters that are gonna be in, thats nothing.

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
They should also put Hector and somebody that uses a spear in Brawl. Though I wouldn't be surpised if they switch Roy with Eliwood.

Two characters from the same game would be dumb (even though eliwood and roy are exactly the same person). I was excited when I first bought FE7 cause i thought id actually get to see roy in his game. Turned out to be his dad. I think that roy was genetically cloned.

Anyway, my top five choices from the american FEs:

1. Lyn - versitile and unique, plus female
2. Hector - axe would kick @$$
3. Jaffar, Matthew, or Lagault cause they were the coolest characters (not lagault) and would have awsome double blade moveset
4. Athos, Soren, or Nergal - we could use more magic, and they are awsome
5. Amelia because she (plus gerick and ephraim) was the cheapest character in FE8

btw, how the #$%& is nino number one in japan??? you could only use her in the last few chapters, and shes soooo annoying. If possible id wnat rolf or becca, cause i like archers (not neimi, shes a n00b) The characters in FE8 and 9 were pretty useless and wernet developed as well as they were in 7. sacred stones' plot was painfully cliche and ephraim and eirika were pretty dumb characters (although them as a duo like IC would be kinda cool, as much as i hate the ICs)

sorry for wasting your time, Im done now...

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
I don't think Eliwood will be in Brawl. I'm thinking that the order they will be included in will be Marth, Lyn, Hector, Ephraim, and then Roy however I think that only three will be in.

Manashima

Smash Apprentice
So basement

The poll which asked for none of those characters(Lyn/Hector/Ephraim and Roy for that matter) and only cares for Marths return and Sigurd/Ike primarily

means Absolutely nothin to you.

Lyn/Hector/Ephraim/Roy are pretty much confirmed to you. So a poll shouldnt of been used in the first place then

Not like Sakurais going to get any ideas from it according to you

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
No its just that Lyn and Hector are popular and Sigurd is Japan only isn't he. If he is he won't be in because Miyamoto said there wasn't going to be any more Japan only characters. I considered Marth as good as confirmed and I only mentioned Ephraim because he is also popular and uses lances which is a popular request on the boards. I don't think Roy will be in at all, but he is still somewhat popular and I forgot about Ike completely I would put him before Ephraim.

GenG

Smash Lord
The thing is, there are 5 Japanese Fire Emblem titles that aren't being considered while choosing characters. That's more than half of the series and it's a bit... "selfish" to want FE GBA characters only, even if for many reasons you don't know the other 5 titles.

Most "big" franchises get up to 4 characters. Fire Emblem would get 3-4 MAX (and that's a feat). So, with Marth already in, that means two more characters. I'll take a step forward and say that at least ONE could be an "omg put it or I'll suicide" FE character in the US (maybe Lyndis). So is this an Ike vs Sigurd match? (in the case that there won't be any clones in Brawl).

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
FE has quite an unusual and difficult situation for SAkurai, due to the fact that some games are japan only while some are international. He has quite a hard decision as to how to make everyone happy.

Ike seems the most likely FE character to be added (well, after Marth is included that is), and he looks like he'd offer quite a different sword style to Marth. He also seems to be the only international lord to have a big fanbase in Japan. Sakurai has also shown a lot of interest in Ike, so he's almost pretty much confirmed. To me, this kind of spoils Sigurds chances a little, as I doubt they'd add both Ike and Sigurd if Marth is already in, and Ike has the advantage of being more recognisable worldwide, which Sakurai has stated that he is taking into consideration. I'm not saying Sigurd doesn't have a chance, but Sakurai seems to have shown more interest in Ike (despite Sigurd almost getting into the SSB franchise before, there was only one mention of him in the poll)

As for Lyn (my personal favourite), her chances rely on how far Sakurai is looking outside of Japan, as she has a huge fanbase international, possibly the biggest of any FE characters that's appeared outside of japan. However, the next two most popular lords Hector and Ephraam have an advantage over her by having a more unique move style (though Lyn is the only lord that ues a bow as far as I know). If Sakurai is looking for a FE character to please international audiences, it'll be one of those 3.

This is assuming that Sakurai is going to add 3 characters to FE (which I think is the most likely number for most main franchises except for the 3 big ones). If he addds a 4th, it'll either be a clone or saw potential in one of the more unique characters.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
The thing is, there are 5 Japanese Fire Emblem titles that aren't being considered while choosing characters. That's more than half of the series and it's a bit... "selfish" to want FE GBA characters only, even if for many reasons you don't know the other 5 titles.

Most "big" franchises get up to 4 characters. Fire Emblem would get 3-4 MAX (and that's a feat). So, with Marth already in, that means two more characters. I'll take a step forward and say that at least ONE could be an "omg put it or I'll suicide" FE character in the US (maybe Lyndis). So is this an Ike vs Sigurd match? (in the case that there won't be any clones in Brawl).
I thought Miyamoto said that only international characters were being considered. If that's the case Sigurd is out. I am not against Sigurd even though I don't know who he is I was just under the assumption that only international charcaters were being considered so I thought Hector would be a good choice because of his fanbase.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
As far as I know, Sakurai has said he won't add many japan only characters, but due to how popular Marth and Roy were that they even made FE international, he may still add them. I'm not sure where this puts japan only FE characters, but I'm guessing Sakurai may be more reluctant to add one if there is an similair FE character that is recognised worldwide. While I wouldn't count Sigurd out yet, Ike kind of harms his chances IMO.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
I would prefer Ike over Sigurd after seeing him off of a google search, but I think Marth and Ike would be to similar so I would like to see Marth, Lyn, and Hector still.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Maybe. It'd be nice to see her, but she IS a Paladin. So would her atacks vary between an axe and a lance?

But back on-topic, Lyn defiently sould be in Brawl. She's been one of my top choices for a very long time. I'd like her to have custom moves, not just a clone, but I wouldn't mind controlling her then either. I thik that her attack in FE should be sort of mimicked, and her dodge would look nice in 3-D as well (Not the moving one, the one where you press down with the shield up.)

Manashima

Smash Apprentice
Lyn is the least popualr Lord from FE7 in japan, so i say hector/eliwood before her.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Yeah, if Lyn couldn't make it, Hector would be next on the list. He would be the only character in the game (supposedly) with an axe as a weapon. Whip out the Wolf Beil!!

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Yeah, I'd like to seen Lyn more. Hector would be a nice twist, but I'm more interested to see how they would use Lyn's bows (if they did) In Brawl. Hector just has two heavy weapons (sword and axe) but they also would look good in Brawl. I assume they'd take a bit to charge up, but release a lot of damage when released.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Lyn seems like the better choice. Her Mani Katti is more of a slim blade than a sword like Marth and Roy have, or she could possibly attack with her Sol Katti in some moves. Also, she is a female, and Smash needs more of those. Plus, I think Lyn's general overall movements would be quick and fun to work with.

The Franchise

Smash Journeyman
After looking over the thread, I suddenly realized something. There's a lot of great talk on Lyn but no actual moveset. Therefore I created my own pathetic litttle one in order to fix this injustice.

Moveset: Lyn

General play style: Lyn would be a light weight character around the same area as Zelda and Peach. Her height would probably also be about theirs. Lyndis’s speed would be high, not the fastest character but high ranking in the list none the list. Finally Lyn’s attack, reach, and jump ability would all be about average.

A moves, air moves, and grabs: Most of these would make the use of Lyn’s personal sword, the Mani Katti. However so punching moves and several kicks would also be there to add variety and make her not just a sword user.

Special Moves

B: Bow. Lyn draws her bow and starts firing arrows. Unlike Link’s move you wouldn’t have to hold the button down for distance. Each arrow would have a set distance it could go and you could keep firing arrows one after another with only a slight lag time between each one. Depending on what bow and arrow moves Pit might have, other aspects of this move such as trajectory could be changed to help ensure originality.

B >: Mani Katti Slash. Lyn grabs the sword out of its hilt and with a quick burst of speed moves forward a small bit slashing at her opponents. The damage would be decent but a bit more would be dealt if you hit your foe with the tip of the Mani Katti. In the game, this is Lyn’s normal attack before she is promoted.

B ^: Sword Flip. Lyn leaps up in the air and flips a bit forward at the apex of her jump. As she flips, she draws her sword out and comes slashing down with it in front of her hitting anyone in her path with it. If anyone can’t picture this, it looks like the regular attack of Lyn when she is promoted or the regular attack of a mercenary.

B v: Sacean Sweep. Dropping to the ground Lyn performs a quick 360 degree leg sweep. Opponents would be tripped up getting a fair bit of damage and being knocked back a bit. However this move would only work on the ground and in close proximate.

Super Smash: Sol Katti. Lyn draws her larger sword and performs her amazing critical attack from the game: It briefly looks like there is several of her before she moves in and performs an incredible sword combo for a massive amount of damage.

Taunt: Lyn flicks her hair back a bit before saying something in Japanese that we will not understand but still sounds cool.

The Kirby Look: When Kirby sucks up Lyn, he would get Lyn’s long green hair complete with hair band.

That's it. Personally, I wish I had been able to think of a better B v move. Still, this moveset does show off Lyn's skills and it is definitly different from Marth's and Roy's making her not a clone.

hao chi

Smash Cadet
Nice job Franchise. I've been trying to think of a moveset that would be different from Marth for a while but I couldn't think of one. Though I'm not very creative. :p

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Lady Lyndis
after a grueling 3 minutes on MS paint, I created this. Sorry about the B move, it looks kinda crazy.

The "B" is supposed to look a little more like this:

↑B Katti Dive- Lyn leaps straight up into the air (as high as zelda's farore's wind technique) with lightnig quicknes and once she reaches her zenith, she stays hovering for a brief second, at this point, you decidewhether you want Lyn to plumet staraight down, back at a 45º angle, or forward at a 45º angle with a tilt (or lack there-of) with the control stick. she will then (after the fraction of a second suspended), plummet at an equal speed downward, slashing with her sword anyone she touches, doing 10-25 damage and shooting the people off at fairly upward angles

B Kwik Katti- Lyn holds the sword in a ready position and starts to glow, the longer you hold doen "B" the more feircly she glows. When realesed, she'll strike with her katti multiple times, catching in the blows anyone within range. She can strike a max. of 13 times and a min. of 1, doing 1-5 damage with each hit. Good for racking up damage, but a poor idea for knocking an opponent off. She'll remain charging until the button is released.

↔B Sacaean Bow- Lyn releases an arrow quickly, someone with a quick hand at the "B" button can tap it repeatedly one the bow is out and she can shoot 7 arrows before putting the bow back. these arrows are week (1-7 dammage), but are fast and will go through anything until it hits solid terrain or goes of the edge. the arrows fly fairly straight

↓B Lightning dodge- Lyn splits into five silouhets (sp?) breifly. Any attack passes through them, and if you are standing where the sillouhets meet when they merge, lyn will automatically hit you with a swift, fully charged upward slash. (17-25 dmg.)

(A attacks use primarily mani katti which does more dmage with slashes than stabs and thrusts. Does most damage in center, mid near hilt and least near tip, but difference in damage is minimal)

A= Backhanded horizontal slice
A (2nd)= Forehand horizontal slice
A (3rd)= Turn back toward enemy while slicing backhanded horizontally
A (Continuous)= Turn back toward enemy while slicing forehanded/backhanded (alternating) horizontally.

A (while dashing)= Kneeling horizontal slice.

↔+A= Upwards diagonal crescent slice
Smash↔+A= Hop forwards and thrust sword simultaneously
(Press A again after smash attack)= Hop forwards again with a POWERFUL downwards diagonal slice.

↑+A= Upwards funnel swing.
Smash↑+A= Full Arc swing (Full extension on both sides and apex or zenith of attack. This means that it is a fairly good protective move)

↓+A= Full downward, diagonal, backhand swing. Hits high behind Lyn, and low in front of her.
Smash↓+A= Top spin. Rapidly makes 3 full revolutions hitting low with Mani Katti all 6 times (three in front, three in rear)

Midair:
A= Full Circle Swing (“O” shaped swing that quickly and completely surrounds body once)
→+A= Upwards, vertical arc swing.
←+A= Quarter slash (begins above and slightly ahead of Lyn. Arcs down and halts parallel with ground completing slightly over a quarter of a circle with a counterclockwise swing)
↑+A= Double 120° swing (slices clockwise and then counter clockwise covering a third of a full circle each time)
↓+A= Fan slash (Stabs downwards 3 times(1st diagonally back and down, 2nd straight down (meteor smash) 3rd diagonally forward and down) These mimic a fan’s spines. A final, quarter slash downwards completes attack)

Z= Grab (nothing flashy)
While holding:
A= Gut stab
→+A= Vertical-sword smash (smash forward with a perpendicularly held sword)
←+A= Impaling arc (impale foe with sword and, in an arcing motion, swings foe overhead releasing him in backwards direction)
↑+A= Impale n’ flick (impale enemy, raise aloft, then flick wrist and send enemy a small distance)
↓+A= Rotating blade (Throw foe on ground and jump on him wile spinning like a top with blade held parallel with ground below Lyn. Sort of grinds enemy)

Speed: 8
Power: 5
Size: 7
Jump: 6
Durability: 5
Projectile or Melee: Melee

I'm not sure that I like the mechanics of the ↑B attack.
It doesn't help you grab an edge unless you are almost directly below it.
Another option is sending lyn out diagonally, and then straight down, but then it really loses the element of surprise when you use it to attack an enemy. plus it makes it hard to grab the edge if you are right under it.
The best option is probably somewhere in between having a slight curvature before the zenith and much more exagerated afterwards.
Here are the three possible trajectories in order (obviously, straight up and down remains unchaged.). I prefer the last

I think that it bears mentioning where I got the inspiration for her atacks.

↑B = Lyn's basic atack as a blade lord with the Sol Katti
B = Lyn's critical as a lord
↔B =Lyn's basic attack as blade lord with any bow
↓B = Lyn's critical as a blade lord with Mani Katti

Lyn: This aggressive female is very comparable to Krystal. The only real difference between the uses of the two is this: Krystal has better reach and more potent “B” button moves. Lyn is slightly better in all other stats, however. This leads to Lyn having much less emphasis on special attacks and being a much better melee combatant. Lyn’s sword, the Mani Katti, is a great weapon all around and can be used effectively at any distance within range; however, the many varied attacks of this sword result in one or two attacks that are best suited for each distance at which the sword can make contact. For example, her SMASH→A+A is the best attack to use when foe is at max possible range. Her ↓A excels at closest possible range. She is a great around fighter and an expert with careful practice can turn her into a lethal competitor.

If aggressive: You are in luck. Lyn is an excellent competitor. Her lightning fast moves and decent range can giver her the upper hand in almost any match up. She is best in one-on-one battles, however, so if enemies swarm, wield Lyn’s sword with surgical precision to break them up. Then use her awesome speed to dash from enemy to enemy being sure to quickly retreat to deal with enemies closing in from behind. Once you are no longer surrounded, maintain a constant assault to keep combatants on their toes. A great offense is the best defense.

If defensive: You have a slightly more difficult time playing Lyn than Krystal, but have no fear. Lyn can easily adapt to this game play style too. Lyn’s Sacaen bow is weak, and only attacks in one direction, but it’s as good a distance attack as any. Lyn’s great speed allows her to quickly retreat as well, and her swift swashbuckling allows her to quickly cut an escape route through the least dangerous direction while on the dash. This style of fighting makes the enemies come to Lyn one by one, which is just the way that she likes it.

If you love to be in the melee: use the strategy mentioned above to break up fighters into a more manageable orientation or arrangement. In a melee, however, Lyn’s special moves gain enormous potency. Lyn’s ↑B allows her to make a statement when she enters the fray, and that statement is “pain”. It won’t allow her as effective an escape as Krystal’s ↑B, however. Lyn’s ↔B allows her to cause massive disruption to a fray without actually entering it. If you can catch all 3 opponents in Lyn’s fully charged B move, you can easily rack up damage on all competitors (best used just out side of fray). Lyn’s down B move only does extreme damage to an opponent caught right where her silhouettes converge, but when used in a conglomeration of foes, it is bound to cause max damage to at least one of them. It’s the same basic concept as jigglypuff’s ↓B attack in a fray, but with much less vulnerability. Lyn can ALWAYS be used effectively, but it takes a truly skillful player to unleash her true potential; otherwise, her comparative frailty for someone of her tall stature makes her an easy target for a KO.

Top Bottom