• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

What do you want most in a Switch Successor?

• Total voters

Noipoi

Howdy!
That said, I was a Dreamworks kid growing up. They were on a hot streak too growing up, Shrek 1 and 2, Madagascar 1 and 2, I think I was an Over the Hedge fan as well, I had a sleeping bag with the characters of that movie on it.
To this day the Kung Fu Panda trilogy are among my favorites. And the first two HTTYD movies are literally my all time favorites. They still make good stuff today, but Dreamworks was cooking for a while back there.

Dragons 3 is kinda aight, I don’t like some of the decisions they made. And Panda 4 is mid.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
To this day the Kung Fu Panda trilogy are among my favorites. And the first two HTTYD movies are literally my all time favorites. They still make good stuff today, but Dreamworks was cooking for a while back there.

Dragons 3 is kinda aight, I don’t like some of the decisions they made. And Panda 4 is mid.
I still like the Light Fury and her romance with Toothless. Plus, the main villain was actually pretty good. But I could've done without the dragons leaving and Hiccup and the majority of the others insisting on it even though plenty of the dragons seem like they've would've still preferred to remain with their human trainers in New Berk, more so since there were no longer any clear signs of an immediate threat by any human factions anymore.

Also we were robbed of Drago Bludvist's return and redemption arc.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

I loved the first 3 KFPs, peak cinema. I didn't see Dragons 3 but 1 and 2 are also peak cinema (RIP to Hiccups father, the man who stepped UP).

Now since most of us are still on Disney, I gotta say, Incredibles 2. Arguably the most disappointing movie of my lifetime. It wasn't bad, in fact it was a good movie by all means, but it did not hold a candle to the first one like at all and MAN it could've been so much better. Props to Elastigirl though, carried the movie in more ways than one.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Now since most of us are still on Disney, I gotta say, Incredibles 2. Arguably the most disappointing movie of my lifetime. It wasn't bad, in fact it was a good movie by all means, but I did not hold a candle to the first one like at all and MAN it could've been so much better. Props to Elastigirl though, carried the movie in more ways than one.
It’s a shame, but the film had a very tough act to follow.

Also it took them like 15 years so expectations were high.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I loved the first 3 KFPs, peak cinema. I didn't see Dragons 3 but 1 and 2 are also peak cinema (RIP to Hiccups father, the man who stepped UP).

Now since most of us are still on Disney, I gotta say, Incredibles 2. Arguably the most disappointing movie of my lifetime. It wasn't bad, in fact it was a good movie by all means, but I did not hold a candle to the first one like at all and MAN it could've been so much better. Props to Elastigirl though, carried the movie in more ways than one.
I've read spoilers on 2 but haven't seen the full film, so I'm not one to judge it either way yet.

The Fake Screeslaver fight was legitimately awesome, though.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
It’s a shame, but the film had a very tough act to follow.

Also it took them like 15 years so expectations were high.
The first movie was all about Mr. Incredible learning that he's not alone and needs to fight alongside his friends and family in order to protect them. The 2nd movie has them doing absolutely nothing for like 90% of the film. Idk why it needed to exist man why was it for Elastigirl ass shots? it had to be you're not slick Disney

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
This Disney talk has me wondering, are we getting old?

Is the Disney Magic no longer working on us?

Or are the movies genuinely mid
just provide more stuff like Owl House (without ****ing it over) and X-Men 97 to keep the magic up

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
Guys can we all take a moment and realize that this kid
1714370384929.png

May just be the most patient character in all of fiction

25 seasons of being accosted by Team Rocket non-stop, dealing with people like Gary, Paul and Trip putting him down, and failed league after failed league up until Alola, and somehow he hasn't completely gone insane???

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Will say though, trying to make Lilo and Stitch into Disney's Pokemon was, a choice for sure.
Honestly as much as I'm not a Disney person, that movie is way too ****ing special, it has a certain edge and air of tragedy that just isn't really there in a lot of kid movies and as a neurodivergent kid who had a rough upbringing after the early death of a parent, I found it highly relatable back in the day, hell, last time I saw it I cried lmao

Show me your motivation Dandyism
THEY KEPT HIS XRD VOICE **** YEAH THAT WAS ALL I CARED ABOUT BUT GIVING SHARON MORE EMPHASIS TOO?! DAISUKE IS THE GOAT

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
View attachment 388608

Hello yes as one of the resident Demonologists(I play Shin Megami Tensei), I shall weigh in on the whole "Bug/Fairy" debacle.

If anything, I'd wager that Fairy and Bug would go along actually quite well.

The Bugaboo/Bugbear is a fairly famous fae creature that was effectively a goblin, which most likely evolved into the modern day Boogeyman.

And yes, back in ye olden times, Fae was a very wide-encompassing term. Things like Dwarves, Goblins, and other more malicious entities like Banshees or Spriggans were considered Fae.
Banshees weren't always considered malicious - they omens of death, but they were benevolent ones.

They would appear screaming and crying in mourning shortly before someone died.

But yeah "fairy" is a pretty broad term and means different things in different cultures.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The Bugaboo/Bugbear is a fairly famous fae creature that was effectively a goblin, which most likely evolved into the modern day Boogeyman.

And yes, back in ye olden times, Fae was a very wide-encompassing term. Things like Dwarves, Goblins, and other more malicious entities like Banshees or Spriggans were considered Fae.
Tbf, the word bugbear doesn't have anything to do with insects, it's simply a variation of "bugge", a spooky creature.

Also, speaking of SMT, Saturnus is revealed for SMT VV, probably the last returning demon yet to be confirmed.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
This Disney talk has me wondering, are we getting old?

Is the Disney Magic no longer working on us?

Or are the movies genuinely mid
Most of the latest movies are extremely lacking in that “Disney Magic”, like I think you can compare one of the recent films Wish to previous movies and see a clear difference in quality

Technically the bad guy from Wish was indeed the latest real villain who wasn't just a misunderstood person with past trauma or whatever.
You can’t even say that because they tried to make him sympathetic with him confiding in Asha about how he was forced to escape his past home and built his kingdom as a safe haven. (And honesty there’s quite a few not-unreasonable justifications I’ve seen people argue about him not being the villain that the narrative tries to paint him as)

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Since we're talking about Disney, here's a reminder that Disney had some hand in distributing Pulp Fiction with Miramax Films.

Jules Winnfield is my favourite Disney Princess.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
As for if Disney has lost its magic or if we've gotten old, I think both can be kind of true.

Raya had the spirit, but ultimately fumbled. I haven't seen Wish but from what I gather there was a ton of executive meddling. Strange World was ambitious but as much as I like it, it feels really lacking in some way. We are in a weaker era.

But let's be honest, not every movie Disney has put out has exactly been Lilo and Stitch. And if you look at a lot of the classic movies - a lot of what fans call the Golden Era, while they're cultural icons and visual spectacles, most of them weren't exactly Shakespeare. But I feel like we're much more forgiving of them in part due to nostalgia.

On a kind of related note I was kind of rolling my eyes when people were hyping up King Whats-his-face from Wish. People were really excited to see a flamboyant, pure evil villain again that I think they forgot to ask if that's all that made a villain good (or the only way to make one good). I think nostalgia really clouded people's judgement there - and a certain cynical Youtube video about Twist Villains a while back that I think controlled some of the narrative around Disney movies more then I think the creator ever even intended (and even he admited twist villains could be memorable if done right).

But honestly, I feel like people are just a bit jaded and burnt out on the modern era and what something new, especially in terms of that same aet style they've been clinging to since Tangled.

Also on the Pixar side of things I'd argue things are much better then people give them credit for. Turning Red is excellent, I hear Luca is really good, Soul has a cult following and Elemental ended up being much better then people expected. I think most of them missed adult audiences because they got screwed out of theatrical releases, but my relative who works at Disneyland tells me that Turning Red and Luca are popular with kids - especially the former.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Bug types would be great against Fairy types.

I wish they give something for Ice like strong against Water or something :dizzy:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Nah Slayer is reminding the world of something we've known for decades, classy vampire dude hot. Funny as hell having Slayer drop like this as if Daisuke himself went up to me personally and said "Hey girl, remember, you like dudes too"
Daisuke walking up to us bisexuals: " I've made yall dinner"

Top Bottom