• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
An interesting idea I thought up that I think would be fun to discuss - How would you all respond to future NASB games' rosters being "rotating" casts where most of the roster differs between games in terms of both cuts and additions while keeping the roster size? Like, every game would have your shoein, "no duh" reps like SpongeBob and Aang, but most of the cast beyond those picks would be wildly different from the game before, giving room for new additions and some returning veterans, including those who are absent fron NASB2.

I dunno, I thought this'd be a fun idea that'd make for an interesting discussion.
it's that what most fighting games do?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I personally would be all for this as long as they try to keep entire show cuts to a minimum and bring back cut characters from the previous game on occasion. Absolutely seems most realistic. I think the show selection as of now is a decent one to keep as final - while I have developed some gripes with the NASB2 roster now the cutchud panic is mostly over (particularly 2000s overrep, but even then I don't blame that on the cuts or any individual characters) I think they had the right idea of "add 2 or so shows, focus on the side casts of the shows we have", there are ChalkZones and Fanboy & Chum Chums to be added, but I think digging deeper into the sidekicks, villains, rivals, and comic-reliefs should take priority.
Can you stop calling people who criticize the amount of cuts "chuds" please, it's extremely derogatory. That kinda **** may fly on reddit and 4chan but I'd like to think we have a little more decency on Smashboards. Just because some people don't like the cuts doesn't make them gross or awful people.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I personally would be all for this as long as they try to keep entire show cuts to a minimum and bring back cut characters from the previous game on occasion. Absolutely seems most realistic. I think the show selection as of now is a decent one to keep as final - while I have developed some gripes with the NASB2 roster now the cutchud panic is mostly over (particularly 2000s overrep, but even then I don't blame that on the cuts or any individual characters) I think they had the right idea of "add 2 or so shows, focus on the side casts of the shows we have", there are ChalkZones and Fanboy & Chum Chums to be added, but I think digging deeper into the sidekicks, villains, rivals, and comic-reliefs should take priority.
Coming to this a little late, but yeah, let's try to keep the derogatory language to a minimum. It's natural to be upset about cuts, and certainly this thread has had issues handling that subject, but it's not exactly in good form either to be regarding those with differing opinions as extremists.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I'm a huge fan of Star Trek, specifically The Next Generation. And since Paramount owns both Nickelodeon AND Star Trek, I made a Nick Brawl 2 moveset for Lieutenant Commander Data, my favorite Star Trek character. The Android who wants to be human.
Generally I wanted to keep a few things in mind when building this kit. Melee fighting in Star Trek tends ti just be single strikes that instantly knock people out, and Data is canonically super strong (able to bend steel bars, throw steel drums filled with unknown spaceship substances, lift large pieces of rubble, he even lifted an anvil with one hand when he was trapped in the 19th century) so most of his melee attacks should be strong and powerful single strikes. Only using weapons for his grounded strong attacks and his specials. Because he's also a super-intelligent Android and a Science Officer. So he should have a few tricks up his sleeve that reward intelligent play and that have more unorthodox hit-boxes. I think I did a good job with it.
Light Attacks
  • Neutral Grounded: A typical jab-cross-hook-cross boxing combo amplified by data’s strength.
  • Side Grounded: a karate chop attack which frequently knocks foes out cold on Star Trek.
  • Up Grounded: A palm strike attack that has been repeatedly used by characters from Star Trek
  • Down Grounded: A sweep kick
  • Neutral Aerial: Data temporarily surrounds himself with a force field, repelling attackers who get near him for that instant.
  • Forward Aerial: A spinning forward kick.
  • Back Aerial: A backhand strike with a closed fist.
  • Up Aerial: a headbutt attack Data has used on occasion.
  • Down Aerial: Captain Falcon’s Down Air
Strong Attacks
  • Side Grounded: Data uses a Klingon Painstik, like when he helped recreate Lt. Worf’s Ascension Ceremony.
  • Up Grounded: Data slashes upwards with a rapier, similar to his holographic facsimile created by Lt. Barely.
  • Down Grounded: Data throws a photon grenade in front of him. The distance determined by the length of the charge.
  • Side Aerial: Data does a powerful rear kick
  • Up Aerial: Data does powerful uppercut
  • Down Aerial: Data does a stage dive using all his weight and power.
Special Attacks
  • Sensors Indicate (Neutral): Data uses his Tricorder to take readings of a foe and then applies the learned information to buff his stats to make him better equipped to fighting that particular foe. He is a science officer with a computer brain after all! For example scanning a slow and strong character might give him a speed buff. Each character would have to be given a variable on which stat of Data’s they’ed buff.
    • Slime Version: Data channels the extra slime energy to his sensors allowing him to scan more than one opponent and take into account multiple foes strengths and weaknesses. If used on 1v1 it simply increases the ammount he buffs his stats.
  • Phaser (Side): Data fires a beam from a phaser. It travels indefinitely forward in a straight line and has a pinpoint hitbox. The normal version is the stun setting and stuns a foe it hits.
    • Slime Version: The slime version sets the phaser to kill and it becomes a pinpoint hit-box of intense damage.
  • Beam Me Up! (Up): Data calls for the Enterprise to use sight to sight transport and beam him to a higher part of the stage.
    • Slime Version: The slime version allows him to select his coordinates with a cursor before transport.
  • Replicator (Down): Similar to Bugs Bunny’s paintbrush move in Multiversus, Data uses the enterprise’s replicator to create one of the game’s items. The specific ones he can create would be selectable on a wheel similar to Shulk’s monado arts and they would be on a cooldown timer after being created. The normal version allows him to create a random food item, Sokka’s Sword, Valerie’s Gun, The Bronze Boots of Truth, and Log from Blammo
    • Slime Version: The slime version allows him to create an Anchor, the Cheese Ray, Sandy’s Rocket, and Tommy’s Ball.
Throws
  • Grab: Data looks as if he is merely lightly touching his foe’s shoulder, but his Mega Strength (that’s what the show actually calls it) means that they are firmly held in place.
  • Pummel: Data does a series of rapid strikes with his free hand.
  • Forward Throw: Data picks them up over his head and chucks them like they’re nothing.
  • Back Throw: Data hurls them behind him like he threw that guy in Star Trek: Insurrection.
  • Up Throw: Data bends down and grabs the opponents leg and swings them into the air by it.
  • Down Throw: Data slams the opponent into the ground.
Other
  • Dash Attack: Data throws his weight into a body check ala Shao Khan.
  • Super Attack: Data beams aboard the enterprise and, following his captains orders, fires a barrage of Photon Torpedoes at the battlefield.
Costumes
Animations
  • Intro Animation: Data beams down from the Enterprise.
  • Idle: Data stands at the ready with his hands by his side.
  • Idle Animation 1: Data takes tricorder readings.
  • Idle Animation 2: Data whistles, poorly
  • Taunt 1: Data shuffles a deck of cards at high speeds.
  • Taunt 2: Data recites a line of his infamous poetry
  • Taunt 3: Data bends a Parsteel rod in half.
  • Win 1: Data sits at his Comms Station from the Enterprise and returns to work, his pet cat Spot jumps on the console and tries to bother him.
  • Win 2: Data beams back aboard the enterprise.
  • Team Win: Data politely claps while curiously examining the excited reactions of his teammates.
  • Lose: Data short circuits and then his head explodes off, lying on the ground as in the episode “Arrow of Time”
  • Jukebox: Same as Win 1
I know the odds of them actually doing it are low as long as Nickelodeon and Paramount aren't willing to throw more money into the project and pay more people, but I still wanted to do it because I love Star Trek, Data is one of my favorite characters of all time, and I would die if he got into this game.

So what do you think of the moveset I made? Even if you don't know much about him would you play as this character with the moveset I've described?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Not really? There’s probably a lot of examples from early FG history, but lately we’ve been seeing bigger casts with more veterans returning.
Aside from Smash bros there really isn't that many fighting games that have bigger cast in sequel. Mortal kombat has stayed very consistent since MK9, even reducing the number of characters (28 characters in Mk9, 24 in MkX, 25 in Mk11 and 22 in Mk1). Street fighter also stayed pretty consitent (16 in 5 and 18 in 6) and Tekken too (36 characters in base game console Tekken 7 and 32 in Tekken 8).

If Nasb 3 exist, I don't really expect a bigger roster. My guess is that there would be around 4-5 cut veterans back, around 5 newcomers, but with a few cuts too so the roster wouldn't be that much bigger.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Aside from Smash bros there really isn't that many fighting games that have bigger cast in sequel. Mortal kombat has stayed very consistent since MK9, even reducing the number of characters (28 characters in Mk9, 24 in MkX, 25 in Mk11 and 22 in Mk1). Street fighter also stayed pretty consitent (16 in 5 and 18 in 6) and Tekken too (36 characters in base game console Tekken 7 and 32 in Tekken 8).

If Nasb 3 exist, I don't really expect a bigger roster. My guess is that there would be around 4-5 cut veterans back, around 5 newcomers, but with a few cuts too so the roster wouldn't be that much bigger.
I mean, the roster WAS going to be bigger because originally they were only going to cut 4 characters. Then when they actually got their budget and deadline they saw they had to cut more.

If they don't feel the need to scrap all their assets and re-make everything for go-around 3 they might not actually have to cut anyone and might be able to just polish up the assets they have already.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I mean, the roster WAS going to be bigger because originally they were only going to cut 4 characters. Then when they actually got their budget and deadline they saw they had to cut more.

If they don't feel the need to scrap all their assets and re-make everything for go-around 3 they might not actually have to cut anyone and might be able to just polish up the assets they have already.
How do you know there were originally only going to be four cuts? And also, who were those four characters?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
How do you know there were originally only going to be four cuts? And also, who were those four characters?
I saw some news and forum posts about it earlier on. From what I gather the info was only ever leaked and not officially stated but I believe it.

Those cuts were Sandy, Shredder, Toph, and CatDog

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I saw some news and forum posts about it earlier on. From what I gather the info was only ever leaked and not officially stated but I believe it.

Those cuts were Sandy, Shredder, Toph, and CatDog
These all make sense. Shredder was made into a boss in the campaign, CatDog caused a lot of issues in the first game, and Sandy and Toph were cut to allow for other characters from their shows to be added instead, those being Squidward, Plankton, and Azula.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I decided to write some campaign dialogue for Data too.
  • Miscelaneous
    • Phasers locked on target. Ready to engage. (Mind-controlled Data challenging the player in the Campaign mode)
    • I am fully functional in every way. Programed in multiple techniques. A broad variety of combat. (Mind-controlled Data challenging the player in the Campaign mode)
    • I am now returning to normal operational parameters. (When being unlocked)
    • Curious. This abnormally large mollusc is exhibiting feline behavioral traits. I shall take a sample for further analysis back on the Enterprise. (when meeting Gary)
    • What a curious contraption. To think it came from the mind of a 21st century inventor. (After receiving the energy dampener from Nora Wakeman)
    • Something is not right. Why have I not returned to the Enterprise? (Wondering why he returned to the Timeless Stardial after defeating Vlad for the third time)
  • King Jellyfish
    • Data to Enterprise! I am engaging in combat an abnormally large monarch of the phylum Cnidaria! (When starting a fight with King Jellyfish)
    • I'm detecting a massive power surge in my positronic net. Entering self-diagnostic and repair mode. (If he loses the fight against King Jellyfish)
    • The Federation's goal is to seek out new life, I only wish it would have let me study it, instead of attacking me. (After Defeating King Jellyfish)
  • Flying Dutchman
    • Sensors are picking up a large humanoid energy coalescence in the form of a 19th century seafarer. It appears to have hostile intentions. (When starting a fight with The Flying Dutchman)
    • As an android, I do not experience pain. But if I did, I believe that would have hurt. (If he loses the fight against The Flying Dutchman)
    • I am an android. I do not experience fear. (After defeating The Flying Dutchman)
  • Shredder
    • I am sorry. But I will have to place you under arrest for collaborating with a hostile alien force, intent on the destruction of the planet Earth. (When starting a fight with Shredder)
    • Perhaps further training with Lt. Worf is in order, to further hone my combat capabilities. (If he loses the fight against Shredder)
    • Data to Enterprise. One to beam up, directly to the brig. (After defeating Shredder)
  • Sartana de los Muertos
    • Curious. Perhaps this phenomenon is not at all dissimilar to those created by the D'Arsay archive we encountered on the Enterprise? (When starting a fight with Sartana)
    • I do not think the kill setting will be effective in this scenario. (If he loses the fight against Sartana de los Muertos)
    • Odd. For a brief moment during the battle... my visual sensors detected... a Koala? (After defeating Sartana)
  • Vlad Plasmius
    • Your goal involves the subjugation of entire planets. This is something the federation can not allow. (Confroting Vlad for the first time in the Campaign mode)
    • Critical damage to all primary systems! (If he loses the fight against Vlad)
    • If Captain Picard were here, he would say that Starfleet officers do not bow to petty tyrants or cosmic bullies! (Rematch against the first fight with Vlad)
    • In many ways, I am superior to an average human. (After seemingly defeating Vlad for the first time)
    • Intesting. Perhaps this means this whole room is nothing more than a large holodeck? (After Vlad's ghost clone disappears)
    • This does not look good. (Witnessing the destruction of the universe firsthand)
    • While I do not enjoy violance, I assure you I am more than up to the task of ending this conflict in a decisive victory. (Confronting Vlad for the second time)
    • It would take nothing short of complete atomization of my entire positronic net to prevent my eventual return, and your eventual defeat. (Rematch against the second fight with Vlad)
    • It appears your plans have ended in failure. I'm taking you into custody for the kidnapping of a Starfleet officer. Data to enterprise! ... Data to enterprise!... (After defeating Vlad for the second time)
    • I will attempt a shutdown sequence of the device... but this technology is unlike any I have ever seen before! (Asking Clockwork to save him after Vlad's machine malfunctions and destroys the universe a second time)
    • As long as you continue to threaten the fabric of the multiverse, I will continue to return and oppose you. As would any Starfleet officer. (Confronting Vlad for the third time)
    • Your logic is flawed, and only serves to support the conclusion you wish to be factual, instead of the real truth. (Refusing to listen to Vlad)
    • Your machine has been disabled. Surender before you cause any more damage. (Telling Vlad to give up after disabling his machine)
    • I can not allow you to dominate the wills of the universe's sentient population. I will put an end to your plans. (Rematch against the third fight with Vlad)
    • Now that your plans have been thwarted in an act of versus style combat, the sensible course of reaction would be to release your hold on the others and send us all to our home dimensions. (After defeating Vlad for the third time)
    • Curious. (Watching the universe be destroyed a third time)
    • I am curious as to why you have been brought here. On previous occurences of this loop you remained in your castle lair. What has changed? (Asking Vlad why he is in the Timeless Stardial)
    • If you are correct in your observations, then that would mean our host is not as benevolent as he at first claimed. (Wondering why Clockwork would leave him and Vlad trapped in the Timeless Stardial)
    • While the task was accomplished and our host returned to his normal faculties, it was not accomplished without severe risk and injury sustained by myself and the other captives. (Talking to Vlad after defeating Clockwork)
    • Sensor logs from the previous loops do show different configurations of the machines componants on each repitition, but without a deeper understanding of the machine's construction I can not verify your claim of "trying to fix it". (Doubting Vlad's intentions)
    • Your hypothesis is supported by the available data, yet I still doubt your intentions. (Reminding Vlad of his evil plot)
    • That may be the case, but it was your actions that resulted in the creation of the "Evil Clockwork" entity in the first place. (Reminding Vlad that the events of the Campaign happened all because of him)
    • Does this mean you plan on ceasing your future criminal activities? (Expecting Vlad to atone for his actions)
    • Then I'm afraid I must continue to stop you on behalf of the United Federation of Planets. (Telling Vlad he'll keep beating him in future encounters)
  • Clockwork
    • An explosion of that magnitude would require more energy than can be contained in a single physical space, unless we are dealing with an entity that can alter the laws of physics, which is not unheard of. (After Clockwork warns him about Vlad's plans)
    • Was it your intention to send me chasing an untamed ornithoid without cause? (Asking why Clockwork lured him into a fight with Vlad's clone)
    • While I understand the logic behind your decision, I can not help but speculate how much further our enemies plans have advanced while we spent time diverted from his course. (Understanding why Clockwork sent him to fight Vlad's clone)
    • I'm detecting an unidentified energy field intersecting with your own. (First meeting with the evil Clockwork)
    • I must return to the Enterprise, to my friends, and to my cat. I can not do that if I return to the Stardial. (Refusing Clockwork's demands to return to the Timeless Stardial)
    • Previous encounters suggest combat dissipates this strange unidentified energy. It appears the only way to free our host, and return to our homes, is to find and engage him in battle. (After the evil Clockwork disappears)
    • I do not wish to engage in needless violence. But this appears to be the only way. (After his second meeting with the evil Clockwork)
    • I am an android. I do not feel any emotions. You are being influenced by the energy created by this machine and are acting unlike yourself. If you return to the Stardial with me, the effect will dissipate. (Begging Clockwork to return to the Timeless Stardial to undo the effects of Vlad's machine)
    • I believe this is what is meant by the phrase "to loose your mind". (Before starting the final battle against Clockwork)
    • My internal chronometer is experiencing rapid fluctuations. I must retreat and re-calibrate my systems. (If he loses the fight against Clockwork)
    • These continuous battles prevent me from fulfilling my duty to Starfleet. I'm afraid they must stop. (Rematch against Clockwork)
    • I'm detecting a surge in chroniton radiation! (After Clockwork uses his powers to refill his health bar)
    • Stop it! Stop! Stop! Stop! Stop! Stop! (After powering up before delivering the final blow against Clockwork)
    • Unidentified energy readings dissipating. (After defeating Clockwork and freeing him of the effects of Vlad's machine)
    • I understand, I have experienced similar circumstances in my own life. But not having that information lead to sub-optimal outcomes in our previous battles. (Telling Clockwork he should have been honest about succumbing to the mind-altering effects of Vlad's machine)

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Thank God, they fixed the GIR issues on PC and console. After all this, I can finally say Zim feels like a functional character. It only took three months, but we sure did get there!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
As for a second wave of DLC, I'm now thinking that it will be all NPC promotions due to a reduced budget.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Playing Slap City, being so intimately familiar with NASB1, is funny because you can pick up on the ways one was influenced by the other (which goes both ways, Cruiser Tetron and Orka were released after NASB1 and their movesets reuse some move functions and animations from NASB1) - but I think my favourite is that Jellyfish Fields' theme is basically a tribute of sorts to Fancy Ruins' theme - very tranquil with an oxymoronically punchy beat - Fancy Ruins is also the Smashville equivalent in Slap.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
So, now that the new patch is live, I've returned to the game and Krabs, and I think I'm getting the hang of him to the point that I really enjoy him.

I also noticed something: during his victory animation that involves him playing the guitar, the background changes to a series of floating shapes. Was that background always there? Or was it added in the new patch?

LimeTH

Smash Lord
So, now that the new patch is live, I've returned to the game and Krabs, and I think I'm getting the hang of him to the point that I really enjoy him.

I also noticed something: during his victory animation that involves him playing the guitar, the background changes to a series of floating shapes. Was that background always there? Or was it added in the new patch?
It's always been there. I play the Switch version so I can only assume so, but it's always been there for me.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Leonardo, Michelangelo, Helga and Lincoln
I think that this the route they will most likely go down if they are sticking exclusively to NPC promotions for Season 2 (if there is one) because I'm not expecting them to promote a boss or a campaign NPC to a fighter. And besides, as these were the cuts that people complained about the most, doing this would also please the fanbase too.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I feel like I shouldn't be entertaining this idea, since there is absolutely no proof or prescedent for it and it was probably only brought up as a trojan horse for more Lincoln discussion, but if the rest of the DLC was to be NPC promotions, my picks would be:
  • Hugh
  • PTM
  • Dutchman
  • Odie

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I feel like I shouldn't be entertaining this idea, since there is absolutely no proof or prescedent for it and it was probably only brought up as a trojan horse for more Lincoln discussion, but if the rest of the DLC was to be NPC promotions, my picks would be:
  • Hugh
  • PTM
  • Dutchman
  • Odie
It was absolutely for more Lincoln discussion,
Here’s my picks.

-Hugh
-GIR
-PTM
-Vlad

My wildcard pick though is Tommy. His model is more detailed than Helga and Lincoln’s, after all.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
This was an idea I came up with after discussing future NASB2 DLC on a Discord server. They were much more pessimistic about the idea than you guys are, and one person brought up the idea of the second wave of DLC being all NPC promotions, which was an idea I decided to run with. I even came to the conclusion that it would happen as the result of a drastically reduced budget.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
This was an idea I came up with after discussing future NASB2 DLC on a Discord server. They were much more pessimistic about the idea than you guys are, and one person brought up the idea of the second wave of DLC being all NPC promotions, which was an idea I decided to run with. I even came to the conclusion that it would happen as the result of a drastically reduced budget.
I think you need to stop listening to those guys. Like I get the budget got reduced but do they really need that much money for a couple of character DLCs compared to the budget of an entire game? Just because they're not funding a whole-ass game anymore doesn't mean they're barely scraping by enough to make a second season. You hear these doom and gloom predictions then absolute insist upon them, which brings the whole thread down.

While I think it's totally possible we'll get new characters, NPC promotions aren't too farfetched an idea but it's not another sign of impending doom that we should all be miserable about. I don't think anyone would complain about Hugh or PTM coming back. GIR is the last character I really really want. Tommy would be hilarious. It's not that bad.

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
An interesting idea I thought up that I think would be fun to discuss - How would you all respond to future NASB games' rosters being "rotating" casts where most of the roster differs between games in terms of both cuts and additions while keeping the roster size? Like, every game would have your shoein, "no duh" reps like SpongeBob and Aang, but most of the cast beyond those picks would be wildly different from the game before, giving room for new additions and some returning veterans, including those who are absent fron NASB2.

I dunno, I thought this'd be a fun idea that'd make for an interesting discussion.
That would be lazy and kinda infuriating honestly. I can grit my teeth and accept that cuts had to happen for NASB 2. The sequel had a massive undertaking and did everything from scratch. But now that they have a stable foundation, they should put in the effort to build off what they have now. There is no reason or excuse to cut the current characters now that they properly reworked everyone in the cast and brought them up to a specific quality standard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom