• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Also, even though the teased items gives us a hint on who we should likely expect i am hoping that beetlejuice gets in for the season, He is getting another movie.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Running under the assumption of say, maybe a character a month, if a Season lasts two months, two new characters a season wouldn't be bad imo. Gives each character a little extra time in the oven and to stand out as a new addition.

I've softened a bit on Banana Guard seeing as we've got some hints on other character choices, but I maintain I think they shouldn't have made a big deal of his inclusion. If they had say, revealed Agent Smith early, then when the game dropped Banana was just in the game as a bonus surprise, I think it would have been received better, by myself included. But trying to hype it up and be a "one of our three new characters at launch, don't you love joke characters!", I think came off a bit wrong. Alternatively, had they just dropped this trailer at the start I think this would've been much better marketing. It would've given people stuff to pick up on and salivate over for a month before release.

The trailer though? Good stuff outside of the pairings feeling kinda weird, but I guess such is the nature of this crossover. Things I liked:
  • Iron Giant and Marvin may not make much sense on paper, but they're both Martians
  • Titans Tower stage...?
  • Jason and Smith flanking Joker is an intimidating image
  • Rick's lines as he's jumping through worlds were pretty fun. I especially like the "sorry Bruce, I'm not here."

All in all, that's how you do a trailer. I'll give them props. As long as the gameplay is good (and the greedy monetization is chilled out a bit) I'm willing to jump back in. Probably not gonna be doing any battle passes though if the grind is just as tedious as before.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Which one of these is the most terrifying?
baesyboeyk1d1.png

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Which one of these is the most terrifying?View attachment 389662
Probably Jason. The dude is already pretty much immortal and unstoppable, and like it wasn't enough they give him a huge size.

I dunno. I’d say a trailer with no gameplay is not how you go a trailer for a game
I do agree that the lack of gameplay is disappointing, but I'm sure Jason will have a gameplay trailer very soon (maybe tomorrow? Joker was announced a friday and the monday after he got his gameplay trailer).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I dunno. I’d say a trailer with no gameplay is not how you go a trailer for a game
I mean, we already know how the game plays. If this was our first look at the game I'd agree, but that's a bit of a moot point.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I will admit I'm a little concerned about the lack of a hint towards

Betelgeuse but with the new film slated for I think October this year I'm sure they just wanna have him tie in with the movie and that's minimum next season if not the season after.

Cinematic Trailer I should say. Based on the recently shown gameplay it looks like it plays pretty similarly to the OG, just ideally with better designed hit boxes. I'm still a little miffed that there's only dodging and parrying for defensive options but it's not a deal breaker. Though I still think each class could get a different defensive boon to actual make them... Classes and not just a generic indicator of roughly their play style.

I do think they need to modify characters movement and air speeds as well as that was one thing everyone felt kinda like every attack had the same weight behind it. Superman and Gizmo shouldn't be running and falling at the same speed after all

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay guys, let's talk movesets.

I predict that Jason is going to go haaaaaard on the super armor. He'll be almost entirely Melee and have a command grab. He'll be the traditional big body as opposed to Iron Giant's strange one.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Another thought just occurred to me.

If they managed to get Jason, even though he's historically been in copyright hell...

Could this maybe be time for Gandalf? What are his copyright issues exactly?

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman

If they managed to get Jason, even though he's historically been in copyright hell...

His issues seem to be more of a simple "we don't currently have the rights" affair.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I’m interested to find out which way they’re going to balance Agent Smith using a gun as his main weapon. Very limited ammo? Close range only? You have to charge it or it’s weak like with Rick’s lasers? Is it like Stripe where it only has range if he gets a melee hit first?

edit: Or maybe the bullets would be really slow so that it looks like everyone is Neo. That’d be kind of a funny way to make it balanced.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

I predict that Jason is going to go haaaaaard on the super armor. He'll be almost entirely Melee and have a command grab. He'll be the traditional big body as opposed to Iron Giant's strange one.
Jason I imagined him being the Ganondorf of this game, maybe even more extreme. I think he will be insanely slow, but will have lots of armor and will take little to no knockback from projectile. He'll definitely have a command grab. Maybe down special he could put a bear trap on the ground to stop opponents. Maybe he will have a gimmick where he can resurrect if he dies like in Mortal kombat X, but not sure how that could be implemented.

For Agent Smith, I'm not huge fan of Matrix, but I assume he will be assassin. He probably have the bullet dodge as a gimmick, which might work as a counter.

Middle earth enterprises was bought in 2022 by Embracer group, although WB still own the film rights I think. The rights are just very messy, I think Amazon owns a few things too. Another problem with Gandalf is that one of his moves was given to Morty. To me this shows that the team might have given up entirely on the character (although I personally don't think that 2 characters having the same up special is really a big deal).

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Since there’s TTGo teases in the trailer, makes me wonder what version of Raven we’re really getting.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Since there’s TTGo teases in the trailer, makes me wonder what version of Raven we’re really getting.
I doubt it’ll be TTGo design.

I don’t say that because of any opinion I have about the show (I saw the first episodes air 11 years ago and thought it was designed for Gen A kids and not me), I say it because the idea of a small hitbox plus crazy good projectiles scares me.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Jason needs to swing a sleeping bag around otherwise yeah, armoured moves and a command grab are a lock imo
Agent Smith could send out clones ala Noob Saibot or even have a move where he converts anyone into another Agent Smith (a foe would be a debuffed version and an ally might be a buffed version to give extra application perhaps?) otherwise he's largely an Assassin with a gun move.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think a middle-ground between the two is somewhat easy to strike - and maybe necessary, just since it’s an obvious move to offer one as a costume for the other and that would be hard to do if they followed the exact proportions. My speculation up to this point has been that it leans more toward the 2004 design, just for the sake of relative consistency within the DC characters.

I don’t think the stage locks anything in one way or the other, but it does at least tell us they’re concerned with TTG as a brand. That can coexist with any version of Raven, but we’ll see.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I doubt it’ll be TTGo design.

I don’t say that because of any opinion I have about the show (I saw the first episodes air 11 years ago and thought it was designed for Gen A kids and not me), I say it because the idea of a small hitbox plus crazy good projectiles scares me.
Good God it's been eleven years since that show first premiered?

Jason needs to swing a sleeping bag around otherwise yeah, armoured moves and a command grab are a lock imo
Agent Smith could send out clones ala Noob Saibot or even have a move where he converts anyone into another Agent Smith (a foe would be a debuffed version and an ally might be a buffed version to give extra application perhaps?) otherwise he's largely an Assassin with a gun move.
I feel like they won't have him say transform people as they'd be changing their moveset midmatch which might be frustrating for allies but I could see him maybe like being able buff allies. It's a creative liberty for sure but I think it might be the better option.

I'm not the most familiar with the Matrix films, but I do know that both Neo and Trinity are hackers; is Smith one too? If that's the case hacking allies and enemies like Sombra in Overwatch might be something he could do.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think a middle-ground between the two is somewhat easy to strike - and maybe necessary, just since it’s an obvious move to offer one as a costume for the other and that would be hard to do if they followed the exact proportions. My speculation up to this point has been that it leans more toward the 2004 design, just for the sake of relative consistency within the DC characters.

I don’t think the stage locks anything in one way or the other, but it does at least tell us they’re concerned with TTG as a brand. That can coexist with any version of Raven, but we’ll see.
I don't know if it sways people's opinions one way or the other, but apparently in the background there's also the TTG version of Silkie, so it's not just the Robin portrait either.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I don't know if it sways people's opinions one way or the other, but apparently in the background there's also the TTG version of Silkie, so it's not just the Robin portrait either.
Fudge, as if we already know that it's TTG for the stage.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Do note they make kind of a big deal that the other WW skins are from other timelines in the trailer, so they may want the Teen Titans related level to represent a different timeline than the more series DC verse content.

LimeTH

Smash Lord

Yeah that’s the rub, because they can’t really have both considering the design proportions of the TTGO versions of the characters wouldn’t line up with the more composite style designs the DC characters have been getting. I can’t imagine fans of Robin being okay with the sole representation of the character being from a much maligned version of him, but like, it’s TTGo, like it or not it’s been a smashing success for WB and would bring in a younger audience of players. Gotta figure out a compromise somewhere.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
They do invent some of the costumes right? Like seasonal ones. Hmm the image of agent smith in a Christmas jumper

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
They do invent some of the costumes right? Like seasonal ones. Hmm the image of agent smith in a Christmas jumper
I was just thinking about what they'd even do for agent smith's costumes. In terms of canon ones I don't recall him wearing anything but the suit

Top Bottom