• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zucco Style Advancing/Retreating SH Nair Advice?

Scott Walker

Smash Rookie
If you're unfamiliar with what I'm talking about, here is a vid for reference:

youtube.com/watch?v=BJSQWp12HtY

I hear the words coming out of his mouth....but.....but....does not compute. I just cannot seem to get this to work, and when I DO get a string of what I'll call "successful" SH nairs, they either look clunky, have awkward pauses in between each, don't cover NEARLY as much ground as his does, or a combination of the above.

Is there ANYONE out there who does this as well as Zucco does or is this man just a god among mere mortals? I'd really love some advice on this, specifically in the form of the following if possible:

1. Physically type out the input string so I can see exactly where I'm going wrong.
2. Direct me to a video guide that perhaps gives clearer directions.
3. Please, for the love of God, anything else at all.

Thanks,

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
practice just jumping in place. so:
X/Y > wait > A > slide to X/Y > wait > A

Do this until you can consistently SH landing nair with an immediate (buffered) rejump.
Seriously... practice this until you get it smooth before you start moving.

Once you get that, practice the left thumb with it.

So simultaneously, you are inputting:
X/Y > wait > A > slide to X/Y > wait > A...
and
Left/Right (hold) > let off (right before A) > (quick) Left/Right (hold) > let off (right before A)

practice this and it'll get smoother.
-If you are inputting fair/bair instead of nair, you aren't letting off the control stick fast enough before hitting A.
-If you are not getting the horizontal distance, you are (A) letting off the control stick too early, or (B) not mashing it left/right quickly enough after pressing A (should be able to tell which of these by when the momentum stops)
-if you are fullhopping, you're holding jump too long.
-if you are turning around, you're not inputting jump quickly enough before/after landing.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I find it very helpful to map A attacks to a shoulder button. It's easier for me to alternate between X/Y and the L shoulder, for example, than it is to alternate between X/Y and A.

Scott Walker

Smash Rookie
practice just jumping in place. so:
X/Y > wait > A > slide to X/Y > wait > A

Do this until you can consistently SH landing nair with an immediate (buffered) rejump.
Seriously... practice this until you get it smooth before you start moving.

Once you get that, practice the left thumb with it.

So simultaneously, you are inputting:
X/Y > wait > A > slide to X/Y > wait > A...
and
Left/Right (hold) > let off (right before A) > (quick) Left/Right (hold) > let off (right before A)

practice this and it'll get smoother.
-If you are inputting fair/bair instead of nair, you aren't letting off the control stick fast enough before hitting A.
-If you are not getting the horizontal distance, you are (A) letting off the control stick too early, or (B) not mashing it left/right quickly enough after pressing A (should be able to tell which of these by when the momentum stops)
-if you are fullhopping, you're holding jump too long.
-if you are turning around, you're not inputting jump quickly enough before/after landing.
This sounds awesome! I had practiced sliding from X/Y to A with almost no success but never thought about reversing the slide. Doing it this way seems like it will give me more time on the control stick for better horizontal coverage also. Great suggestion, I look forward to trying this out. Thanks for the tip, I'll let you know how it goes.

Scott Walker

Smash Rookie
So as an update, I tried the A > X/Y slide and found that to be pretty awkward. I ended up trying out ChopperDaves recommendation mapping one of the shoulder buttons to A. I really only ever use R for shields and rolls, so I decided to dust off my L button and map it to A attacks. This REALLY REALLY helped! I don't quite have the rhythm down yet, but just that one change did more for me in 10 seconds than all my prior practicing. If you're having a hard time with this tactic, you should definitely try this out.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I find having attack mapped to a shoulder button helpful for attacking while holding a Metal Blade as well.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
How does that work, again?

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
I use a Wii Classic controller, the older one that is designed like an SNES controller. I remapped jump to B and attack is on Y. Makes this technique quite easy. I don't know if I could play MM the same way with a GC controller.

Top Bottom