• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZSS: Which color do you use??? (Updated with Recolors!!! 25/08/2008)

smaci92

Smash Lord
You people need to learn your Metroid. The pink suit is the NES Metroid Varia Suit. IMO, the ZSS version of it should have had Green hair to mimic the armorless Samus that you can play for beating the game in under three hours, or by inputting the code, "JUSTIN BAILEY", but Sakurai hates Metroid fans, so she's still a blonde.

The suits are:
Super Metroid Varia Suit, Fusion Suit (Kinda, the shape is off. Oh well.), NES Metroid Varia Suit, Gravity Suit, Dark Suit (More of the wrong shape. Should have been Phazon Suit, which is far sexier.), and... well, okay, that suit is just ugly as hell and has no basis. But they need a green team Samus.

I also really wish they'd do the Hazard Suit at some point.
ok...I'll go fix it again...

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Dark Suit FTW. Though I wish they had the Phazon Suit or Dark Samus palette.
I'd actually be more inclined to play the black Samus (when I do play Samus) more often if they had made it the Phazon Suit. As it is, I prefer NES and Super NES Vaira Suits.

Cynan Machae

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CynanMachae
I play the pink (NES Metroid Varia Suit). I dont find it really better than other suits, it's jsut that I like playing with flashy color schemes :) "Banana suit" would come second for that. And the one who said that they should have made the NES Samus green haired, I totally agree, that would ahve been awesome :p

But if I were to rate them:
Dark Suit (black/gray)
NES Metroid Varia Suit (pink/red)
Fusion Suit (dark blue)
Super Metroid Varia Suit (light blue)
Banana Suit (green/yellow)
Gravity Suit (purple/white)

1337ZSS

Smash Apprentice
I play the pink (NES Metroid Varia Suit). I dont find it really better than other suits, it's jsut that I like playing with flashy color schemes :) "Banana suit" would come second for that. And the one who said that they should have made the NES Samus green haired, I totally agree, that would ahve been awesome :p

But if I were to rate them:
Dark Suit (black/gray)
NES Metroid Varia Suit (pink/red)
Fusion Suit (dark blue)
Super Metroid Varia Suit (light blue)
Banana Suit (green/yellow)
Gravity Suit (purple/white)
Oh, that's where the red/pink suit came from? :O

Crystanium

Smash Hero
You people need to learn your Metroid. The pink suit is the NES Metroid Varia Suit. IMO, the ZSS version of it should have had Green hair to mimic the armorless Samus that you can play for beating the game in under three hours, or by inputting the code, "JUSTIN BAILEY", but Sakurai hates Metroid fans, so she's still a blonde.
I disagree with you, ph00tbag. The pink variant is not the Varia Suit color in Metroid (NES). If you do use the Missile, that color will be present. However, I believe that the salmon colored Power Suit is simply the Gravity Suit as seen in Super Metroid. There are dark shades, but overall, it's a salmon color. The Gravity Suit in Brawl is the equivalent of the Gravity Suit in Metroid Prime. The Gravity Suit didn't have that dark shade until Prime. I'd consider the salmon color of Zero Suit Samus, or "pink," if you will, to be the colored leotard that Samus wore under her Power Suit in Metroid (NES).

Oh, and NARPAS-SWORD-00000-00000 is a better password than JUSTIN BAILEY, since you have the armor, infinite health and infinite Missiles. Furthermore, you start with everything.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I disagree with you, ph00tbag. The pink variant is not the Varia Suit color in Metroid (NES). If you do use the Missile, that color will be present. However, I believe that the salmon colored Power Suit is simply the Gravity Suit as seen in Super Metroid. There are dark shades, but overall, it's a salmon color. The Gravity Suit in Brawl is the equivalent of the Gravity Suit in Metroid Prime. The Gravity Suit didn't have that dark shade until Prime. I'd consider the salmon color of Zero Suit Samus, or "pink," if you will, to be the colored leotard that Samus wore under her Power Suit in Metroid (NES).

Oh, and NARPAS-SWORD-00000-00000 is a better password than JUSTIN BAILEY, since you have the armor, infinite health and infinite Missiles. Furthermore, you start with everything.
Not quite. If you look at the Varia sprite on the NES, it's a softer pink (or salmon) than the Gravity Suit of Super Metroid, which is much closer to fuschia. And if you look at Brawl's coloration, it really lacks the blue hue to put it at fuschia. It is, for all intents and purposes, salmon, like the Varia Suit from Metroid (NES). Furthermore, if the "red team" Zero Suit is closer to the Power Suit leotard from Metroid, then don't you think it would make more sense for two suits of the same game to appear in one costume?

And Narpas Sword is certainly a better code than Justin Bailey. However, it doesn't give you the leotard, as Justin Bailey does. Incidentally, the Justin Bailey leotard is actually the Varia leotard, whereas the standard leotard can be achieved by inputting 000000-000020-000000-000020.

I suppose that the salmon Zero Suit is more like the NES Power Suit. Despite this, the Varia leotard would have been better, IMO.

Edit: In fact, upon further checking using droppers in paint, I'm fairly convinced it's the Metroid (NES) Varia. The SM Gravity Suit fades from manilla, through a pinkish salmon color, to violet, to a dark puse. I'm going to assume the manilla and puse are light and shadow, so it comes down to somewhere between salmon and violet. When you looke at the NES Varia, it's a very soft Pink. Finally, the Brawl costume doesn't even come close to violet in shaded areas, instead becoming rich maroon.

The NES couldn't display the shading that the SNES and Wii can, so we can't know what the shaded sections of the suit looked like there. Regardless, the Brawl costume looks more pink than the SM Gravity suit, in my opinion.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Not quite. If you look at the Varia sprite on the NES, it's a softer pink (or salmon) than the Gravity Suit of Super Metroid, which is much closer to fuschia. And if you look at Brawl's coloration, it really lacks the blue hue to put it at fuschia. It is, for all intents and purposes, salmon, like the Varia Suit from Metroid (NES). Furthermore, if the "red team" Zero Suit is closer to the Power Suit leotard from Metroid, then don't you think it would make more sense for two suits of the same game to appear in one costume?

And Narpas Sword is certainly a better code than Justin Bailey. However, it doesn't give you the leotard, as Justin Bailey does. Incidentally, the Justin Bailey leotard is actually the Varia leotard, whereas the standard leotard can be achieved by inputting 000000-000020-000000-000020.

I suppose that the salmon Zero Suit is more like the NES Power Suit. Despite this, the Varia leotard would have been better, IMO.
It was not enough for me to go and search for Samus NES sprites online, so I decided to take it from the original game. Here's what I have.

• Samus' Power Suit is orange.
  • With the Missile selected, the orange hue seems to become lighter. It's difficult to tell.
  • With NARPAS-SWORD-00000-00000, Samus' Varia Suit is not a salmon color, that is to say, it does not share any resemblance whatsoever with the salmon color in Brawl.
  • With NARPAS-SWORD-00000-00000, Samus' Varia Suit resembles the salmon color of Zero Suit Samus' pink Zero Suit when the Missile is selected.
  • The Varia Suit has a lighter orange hue, but it is not equivalent to the salmon colored Power Suit in Brawl. In fact, the color of the Varia Suit in the NES would be similar to the flesh color if you put in JUSTIN-BAILEY-------00000 or 00000-00020-00000-00020.

In regard to your question about Samus in the red team, in Brawl, she is wearing the Zero Suit, as opposed to her other alternative suits in Metroid (NES), Super Metroid, and Metroid Fusion. I don't see what difference it would make on this matter. :urg:

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
  • With NARPAS-SWORD0-00000-00000, Samus' Varia Suit is not a salmon color, that is to say, it does not share any resemblance whatsoever with the salmon color in Brawl.
Uh huh... Next time, try getting the Varia for yourself, and don't rely on a password that already tells the game to do one thing it's not supposed to (give you infinite life and ammo). The Varia Suit is pink, but the Narpas Sword doesn't load that sprite, even though you still take half damage.

If you don't believe me, you can go look at the Metroid Walkthroughs on youtube, or take some time out to go find the suit. It doesn't take that long. You only have to get Marumari, Missiles, Bombs and the Ice Beam, so it doesn't take too long. It's not like getting all of the missiles in Norfair.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
here's my order:

gravity
banana
dark
nes varia
fusion
zm varia

(yes, it's zm varia. i don't remember seeing lightblue zero suit anywhere in super metroid. didn't she wear black in that one?)

i mostly switch between gravity and banana, sometimes using dark. i use pink when i want to blind the opponent with it's flashiness :p. i rarely use fusion because almost ever zamus i see uses fusion (though now i'm starting to see a lot of gravity users, too...), and i pretty much never use zm varia, which is boring with it's lack of colors.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
(yes, it's zm varia. i don't remember seeing lightblue zero suit anywhere in super metroid. didn't she wear black in that one?)
The actual Varia Suit design is the same from ZM to SM, and SM was earlier, so I consider it to be the basis of the design. For every ZSS costume, I'm looking to the Power Suit version to determine what I should call the suit, thus I use SM. If you want to say it's ZM, then that's your prerogative.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
The actual Varia Suit design is the same from ZM to SM, and SM was earlier, so I consider it to be the basis of the design. For every ZSS costume, I'm looking to the Power Suit version to determine what I should call the suit, thus I use SM. If you want to say it's ZM, then that's your prerogative.
XD

yeah, it's closer to the SM power suit, but the ZM zero suit :p

>_>

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
Dark Suit and Pink Suit are my faves. Never noticed the purple (gravity suit) colour, pretty kl!

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Uh huh... Next time, try getting the Varia for yourself, and don't rely on a password that already tells the game to do one thing it's not supposed to (give you infinite life and ammo). The Varia Suit is pink, but the Narpas Sword doesn't load that sprite, even though you still take half damage.

If you don't believe me, you can go look at the Metroid Walkthroughs on youtube, or take some time out to go find the suit. It doesn't take that long. You only have to get Marumari, Missiles, Bombs and the Ice Beam, so it doesn't take too long. It's not like getting all of the missiles in Norfair.
You're making terrible judgment toward me, ph00tbag. As if I've never played the game without any passwords. I've seen the Varia Suit in Metroid (NES). Here's a video with the password. As you'll see, the color of the Varia Suit, when Samus uses the Missiles, shares a very similar color to that of the salmon colored Zero Suit. That is something I've been arguing in favor of.

Now, for the Power Suit in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the salmon color looks nothing like, nor shares any resemblance to the Varia Suit at all. I've seen it. There is a darker hue. You're better off comparing the salmon colored Varia Suit to the color Samus has when she uses her Missiles as seen in the video I have provided. Even so, if we were to assume that the Varia Suit contained any pink color, then you must ask yourself, Why was it in Metroid 2: Return of Samus, that Samus' Varia Suit was orange on the box art, as well as in Super Metroid and the rest of the Metroid series?

You may also look at this video where Samus acquires the Gravity Suit. As I've said before, the darker hue of the Gravity Suit was first seen in Metroid Prime. The salmon colored Varia Suit in Brawl is better off being compared to the Gravity Suit in Super Metroid.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
You're making terrible judgment toward me, ph00tbag.
I'm making this judgment because I've seen the Varia Suit with my own wet, glistening orbs. I've input the Narpas Sword code myself. I've seen that the game gives you a suit of a completely different color. I am convinced, from the fact that your argument is hinged on the dubious Narpas Sword code, that you've either never seen the real NES Varia Suit, or are willfully ignoring it. Either way, your argument is fallacious.

I feel I don't need to address your point about the design change from Metroid to RoS, since in the very next paragraph, you imply that design changes are irrelevant, and I think that on this point, we both agree.

Furthermore, I've beaten Super Metroid with 100%. I know very well what the Gravity Suit looks like. It is fuschia, not salmon. Therefore, to say it looks more like the salmon colored Power Suit in Brawl than the salmon (gasp) colored Varia Suit in Metroid (NES), is folly, not to mention incorrect.

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
correct me if i am wrong but isn't the "banana suit" the varia suit from metroid fusion?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I'm making this judgment because I've seen the Varia Suit with my own wet, glistening orbs. I've input the Narpas Sword code myself. I've seen that the game gives you a suit of a completely different color. I am convinced, from the fact that your argument is hinged on the dubious Narpas Sword code, that you've either never seen the real NES Varia Suit, or are willfully ignoring it. Either way, your argument is fallacious.
Well, until you can prove that I've only used passwords, rather than actually doing it myself, or as you told me, watch a walkthrough, I don't know what basis you have to consider my argument dubious. Would you care to tell me why my argument is fallacious?

I feel I don't need to address your point about the design change from Metroid to RoS, since in the very next paragraph, you imply that design changes are irrelevant, and I think that on this point, we both agree.
A word-for-word on my part that you think or believe I imply design changes are irrelevant would be nice. I'm still curious on why the Varia Suit would be a pink color, and then all of a sudden, the Varia Suit is an orange color, which has been the very color to this day?

Furthermore, I've beaten Super Metroid with 100%. I know very well what the Gravity Suit looks like. It is fuschia, not salmon. Therefore, to say it looks more like the salmon colored Power Suit in Brawl than the salmon (gasp) colored Varia Suit in Metroid (NES), is folly, not to mention incorrect.
That's nice that you've beaten Super Metroid with 100%. I could brag about having the same game since 1994 in my bedroom. I can brag that I've beaten the game myself many times, including yesterday. It proves nothing. Either way, all you've done here is helped me out. Whether the color in Super Metroid is salmon or fuschia, it's fine by me. You see, I've been arguing also that the Gravity Suit has not contained such a dark hue of purple as seen in Metroid Prime. In case you have not noticed, the trophies of Samus for both the Varia and Gravity Suit are simply the model designs of Metroid Prime. (Well, the Varia may be the model from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. Still, it's a Prime sub-series.)

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Well, until you can prove that I've only used passwords, rather than actually doing it myself, or as you told me, watch a walkthrough, I don't know what basis you have to consider my argument dubious. Would you care to tell me why my argument is fallacious?

A word-for-word on my part that you think or believe I imply design changes are irrelevant would be nice. I'm still curious on why the Varia Suit would be a pink color, and then all of a sudden, the Varia Suit is an orange color, which has been the very color to this day?

That's nice that you've beaten Super Metroid with 100%. I could brag about having the same game since 1994 in my bedroom. I can brag that I've beaten the game myself many times, including yesterday. It proves nothing. Either way, all you've done here is helped me out. Whether the color in Super Metroid is salmon or fuschia, it's fine by me. You see, I've been arguing also that the Gravity Suit has not contained such a dark hue of purple as seen in Metroid Prime. In case you have not noticed, the trophies of Samus for both the Varia and Gravity Suit are simply the model designs of Metroid Prime. (Well, the Varia may be the model from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. Still, it's a Prime sub-series.)
The burden of proof is on you. I merely brought the provenance of your "proof" under question. Every time you cite the results of passwords, and willfully ignore my evidence, you undermine your own credibility.

And I really have to ask directly now, since I can't be circumspect and expect an answer from you: Why is it that you argue for the design for the Gravity Suit has barely been the same from one game to another as evidence that you are right, and then cite the variations in the Varia design as a reason I am wrong? The contradiction here strains logic.

I'm not saying you're wrong because the Gravity Suit has changed, either. I'm saying your wrong, because the color matches better for the NES Varia, from where I'm standing. If you think the color doesn't match, based on the actual designs for every suit, as they appear in each game individually, without the use of codes, then that's fine. We can just write each other off as colorblind and be on our merry ways. Just don't try to logic cancel at me. I know how to wavethink.

Top Bottom