• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZSS Laser -> Down-B -> Follow-ups: how can I use it?

Golden Rainbow

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2707-2708-0253
I was just fiddling with ZSS a bit when I sorta discovered this. I'm pretty sure I'm not the inventor for this, but I found it interesting, not obvious, and I didn't find it in these boards, so I wanted to share it. You can watch it by clicking here. Apologies for the low quality footage, but that was the only way I could do it.

If you can't watch the video, here's a written explanation: you can connect Down-B after Paralyzer/Stun Gun. It's guaranteed (or at least easier) the more you charge your laser, being almost 100% guaranteed with a fully charged one (save for awkward situations). After the opponent is buried, you can follow up as they rise, since they can't immediately act when getting out of a buried state. You can get guaranteed attacks when they are buried, when they rise, or mix it up and go for airdodge punishes.

My major question, though, is: is it useful? Sure, it looks cool, but I'd appreciate if someone more knowledgeable than me could apply it consistently in a match. My idea was to use it in high percentages where ZSS doesn't get combos/strings easily (and therefore not a whole lot of conversions), but I'm having a hard time identifying how can this be more useful than down-throw -> back air.

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
That is a really cool combo. Even if it isn't as useful as d-throw b-air it looks cooler.

Megamang

Smash Lord
This has been known for a while. If you hit them right near the edge, you can try and time a flip kick spike on them when they release resulting in a kill. If they aren't spikable, it seems most ZSS try and bair them towards the blastzone to finish them off or set up a HYPE KICK! Grabs are nice because they do a lot of damage once you pummel and chain them. I'd wager its better and more consistently deadly to simply do the grab combos because they leave the opponent in a pretty bad state of landing against ZSS.

But yea, flip kick them if it will kill them.

Otterz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Otterz
Definitely using this on a Town & City platform thats leaving. Thanks for posting this.

Last edited:

Sol Squid

Smash Cadet
If you start the combo and go Nair -> Paralyzer -> Down B, that is a free 22% average. Down B also kills, so if you start at percents that wouldn't usually kill, you could take a stock.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Uhh well here is one that probably hasn't been mentioned if you have someone on the ledge and your spacing is around say your grab range(when they use a ledge get up).
From that range if you get a fully charged laser on them , that spacing let's it be perfect in terms of timing to down b and kick spike them as they slide off the ledge., I'm going to work atm but if I remember I'll make a video when I get home.

Top Bottom