• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZMan presents: Tournament Prep time for Lucas players

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
Just to show how much I care about you guys, I'm gonna right you all a shibby guide about tournaments and how to prepare for them.

Do:

Learn where Tournaments are at in your area
Just use the regional forums to find your state or country's thread. Maybe a tournament will be in your area. If there is, then go to it.

All about the research baybee, all about the research.
In your free time hang around here on Smashboards and learn all about your character (Lucas in this case). Learn your matchups, counterpicks, and ATs and practice before tournament time.

Get rest.
Nany times people go out with friends the night before tournaments, but thee sleep you miss will cost you. I have experienced this first hand. So sleep and eat well before tournament day. Maybe an omelet for breakfast would be good.

EAT.
Eating gives you energy and not having a bad stomach all day. There is always a McDonalds or a Wendys or something around the venue so bring some extra cash for that. Alas, I've experienced not eating during tournaments, and it's a prince not worth playing.

Expect failure.
Unless your a really experienced player like myself, losing is always there. If it's your first tournament, you WILL lose. Always think you CAN win rather than you WILL win. Overconfidence is a killer.

Don't:

Pretty much don't do the exact opposite of what I said above. So don't get crunk, starve yourself, play lvl9s/Melee/Wifi/Brawl+, or be overconfident before a tournament. Other than that, have agood time.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Yeah, the tournaments I've been to happen at night after dinner, so I usually have a full stomach at those, and I always approach with confidence. I figure the only thing I'm actually missing is skill. I'm just plain not good at this game, even though I've been practicing vigorously since May. Regardless, it's still fun, and I think I'll try to get out to more tournaments. I know I'll get better with time... it's just a slow process.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
Do:

Friendlies
Play some friendlies before the tournament start. This will help you to warn up, meet some people and relaxing. Try to don't use all your arsenal, and save something for the tournament.
Learn to counterpick
I'm talkin about stages and characters. Read Tyr faq for more info. Use a counter character only if you are positive that you can win, it doesn't matter if the match up is 90-10 if you don't know how to use the character, stay with your main.

Don't:

Relax
Don't get nervous, this can cost you the match. Remember that your opponent can alway "smell" the fear, giving him some confidence. In my first tournament, my idea was to play first with Toon Link, then change to Lucas no matter what, but i got nervous after i lost the first fight, my hands started to shake, and couldn't choose Lucas :(

Neon Ness

Neon, I like your signature.
Why thank you, good sir.

Also, prO, you're right about "smelling the fear". I got nervous a lot when I first decided to fight competitively, and made a lot of mistakes. But I'm also pretty good at reading when my opponent gets impatient. Sometimes when I'm at like 148%, my enemy will start to use only Smash Attacks because they're ready to kill, which get to be slow and predictable after a while. Sidestep and punish! I've learned to fight patiently even when my opponent is at high percents; it really pays off.

Noraa

Smash Lord
Every match i look at who im playing and i say im a lucas main.
Usualy puts me at ease and make them look dumb

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Wendys does make you better at smash.

Also, Playing Melee gets you thinking faster, so if you can keep both games separate in your mind then it'll help you warm up much faster than playing brawl; basically, if you're good, Melee'll help you.

Neon Ness

rumor has it that eating wendys makes you better at smash.
It do.

I eat there before every tournament.

Also @ Noraa, I never tell my opponent who my main is. I just let my Nair do the talking.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I tell my opponents that I'm a Captain Falcon main, move my character selecter in a circle around him 3 times before selecting Metaknight, purposely lose the first round and then switch to Lucas to win the second two. I swear it works everytime. Mindgames!!

No, really I just never talk in tournaments unless I know the person well already. Smash is serious business guys.

Neon Ness

I tell my opponents that I'm a Captain Falcon main, move my character selecter in a circle around him 3 times before selecting Metaknight, purposely lose the first round and then switch to Lucas to win the second two. I swear it works everytime. Mindgames!!

No, really I just never talk in tournaments unless I know the person well already. Smash is serious business guys.
'Tis quite serious. Although, I'll admit it intimidates the heck out of me when my opponent is silent. I'd rather fight someone who'll say "Ohh, nice one!" or something every once in a while. Makes them seem more human and less like a robot.

ChaosTheoryX

Smash Lord

Chuee

Smash Hero
Your forgetin one thing. Research your opponents. Even though you dont know how might be there if you live in one of the biga** smash places like vegas or california you can find some pros that might show.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord

Earthbound Zero

Smash Journeyman
Are there any good tourney's around Ohio? Gamestop tourney's suck... really badly. >_>

*Looks at FireKirby's sig* Ack! I'm not the only one the hyper chosen 4 in my signature. ): Now I have to change it.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
Are there any good tourney's around Ohio? Gamestop tourney's suck... really badly. >_>

*Looks at FireKirby's sig* Ack! I'm not the only one the hyper chosen 4 in my signature. ): Now I have to change it.
What? I see no sig. :/

You don't HAVE to change it..... Right? I'm really sorry about taking your sig idea. I looked around, no one else had it! :urg:

I can just switch to the Mother 3 party if you want. I don't mind, I love those guys.

BTW what's it like at a Gamestop tourney. I was gonna go to one.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Check the regional boards for your location. Ohio regularly hosts tourneys for both brawl and melee. iirc, they're even hosting a brawl+ tourney soon (for some reason). Illinois and Michigan also regularly host events. The regional boards on this site are your friend for finding tourneys that aren't scrubby like gamestops.

Earthbound Zero

Smash Journeyman
What? I see no sig. :/

You don't HAVE to change it..... Right? I'm really sorry about taking your sig idea. I looked around, no one else had it! :urg:

I can just switch to the Mother 3 party if you want. I don't mind, I love those guys.

BTW what's it like at a Gamestop tourney. I was gonna go to one.
Nah, It's fine. I'll use the 2 Brothers, since that hasn't been taken yet. :D

And thanks for the info Scotu, I'm still a bit new and don't really all the features on the site yet.

Irsic

Smash Ace
Tournament tomorrow...still debating on if I should use Lucas. I saw the attending player list and just went "Ugh, ****."

Top Bottom