• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZGD: Livin by a thread.

Villi

Smash Lord
K you're all on my list. You host, Fox.

Kat, I forget exactly what happened, but you were doing Naryu's Love and fell through the building and then couldn't get back through the stage or something. Tt was lol I gave you two "wat" taunts. :3

Also, your ZSS is amazing!
*hides from Snakeeee* She's really not. :embarrass

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
It disconnected again >.> nevermind! I'm headed off now anyways because it's 6am over here! But I really enjoyed that! woop woop!

Lol at your tag villi! Caaaaaaaaaaaaaake!

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Lol sorry that was me. Anyways you guys are way too good for me. :) I need to better up and quick before I become well known like you guys.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
=) well known? me? *blushes*

Tournament scene in the UK is dead so there's not much to be known for over here =( --> there's only unofficial tourneys where a collective bunch of people gather and play for money. But I know of one coming up in Feb in London which is way too cool for school, considering it's like one of the first offline uk tourneys ever.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Lol being the only Zelda in SA (and maybe TX) doesn't grab the attention that everyone gets. So I do my best to make her good.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Mocha is in Louisiana. And he is "retired" at the moment.

Scary, good luck to you! I hope it works out for you, and I hope you report back with how it went.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Mocha is in Louisiana. And he is "retired" at the moment.

Scary, good luck to you! I hope it works out for you, and I hope you report back with how it went.
Was that tossed at me or Kata?

Anyways Mocha is Louisiana. He came down here for HOBO 11 or 12, I can't remember.

He placed 17th out of all of the people there. I look up to all the better Zelda players cause I know my Zelda isn't as good as it should be.

Bandit

Smash Lord
That was to Taku who said he was from Texas. I was only correcting him.

I do the same. I feel I know Zelda extremely well, but I am not using her correctly when it comes to match-ups that are not as well known to me. I'm not sure if I will ever crack the top 10 of a tourney, but I feel I should be doing better than I have been.

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
Although I'm tourny-background-less, I am a Zelda main in Texas :3
El Paso is dead as far as the tournament scene goes. At least, as far as I know :/
But I'd be willing to play anyone who would like, if any of you all ever want!
Just lemme know if it's a yes. :D

& Good luck to any tournament goers!

Bandit

Smash Lord
Stage Rankings For Zelda

This is the list for the stages, in order, of how well Zelda performs on them based on input from the community.

The Ones We All Know

#1 - Luigi's Mansion
#2 - Battlefield

I would write up stuff about them, but we all know why these stages are so great. It is why I discouraged people from talking about them in the discussion phase. Now, here are the rest of the stages that should lead to some interesting counterpick stages.

#3 - Brinstar - It is a modified Battlefield with lava and a base stage that can be gone through. The walls are even shorter than Battlefield and allow her to kill even earlier. The gooey pillars can extend hit boxes along with the spheres holding the stage together. There is a small wall in the sphere area that allows for Dtilt "infinite". It isn't a true infinite because Dtilt will destroy the spheres though, on occasion this has caused my opponent to be spiked when they fall through. I find it fairly easy to camp the left side of the stage, and the top platform is a SH Uair away from a very low kill. Since the walls are so short, and the lava is ever present, the fact that you can go through the platform does not inhibit Zelda's recovery as much as say Delfino.

Positives:
- Small stage/Small Ceiling/Short Walls
- 4 different planes
- Stage works against campers
- Zelda can use platforms to force approaches
- String connectors/Sphere connectors can be used to extend hitboxes and refresh moves
- Dtilt in spheres to possible spike
- Top platform is SH Uair away from kill
- Lava can make saves should FW not sweetspot ledge

Negatives:
- Non-solid platform could lead to poor recovery if lava drops and you are left below the stage (this does not happen often)

#4 - Norfair - It stands to reason to be a strong CP for Zelda. The stage is roomy, but the ceiling and walls are very short at the top platforms. All the edges make Zelda faster, bring her aerial game into play, and gives her options to approach she never had before. You have similar protection hiding under platforms that you do on Battlefield, and she is fairly ungimpable on the stage due to the lava saving her should you miss the ledge.

Positives:
- Can hide under platforms
- New approaches
- Usmash reaches platforms
- Lava can make saves
- Many recovery options
- Walls/Ceiling have very little off screen room
- Allows Zelda to rely more on off-stage air game to chase opponents

Negatives:
- Bottom platform can screw up sweet spotting ledge as it is partially permeable

#5 - Japes (Ledge Camp Style)
- Japes is a stage I'm torn on as it has some fairly good advantages (ledgewarping, big protection platform, Dins auto-collides with the outside platforms, her spike), but it takes away from her ability to kill vertically which she does so well. A match-up like Dedede would be great here since he is awful at getting out of the water, his recovery is very spikeable, and he kills vertically as well. Also, he doesn't have a move that kicks Zelda downward, so he can't knock her into the water. This is also one of Dedede's worst stages.

Positives:
- Side walls are good for Dsmash
- Dair loves the water
- Zelda can FW to 4 different ledges from the center platform
- Zelda has a few options when FW'ing out of the water as she can usually reach center edge or side edge

Negatives:
- Hurts her vertical kill game

#6 - Smashville

Red_Bandit said:
Smashville is alright. The moving platform is fun to camp and cause problems with. The ceiling and walls are not really beneficial nor are they detrimental.
SonictheHedgedawg said:
that's why I like it. only snake and ike have special advantages there really

#7 - FD
- Admittedly, this stage is not higher because there are no platforms, but it is a stage Zelda should perform decently on. The problem with it is approaching and spacing is the key. If you do not space well, or you are facing a campy character who can outcamp Zelda, the stage works against her.

#8 - Pokemon Stadium
SonictheHedgedawg said:
I like the stage honestly. zelda is beastly in the rock transformation if people actually are dumb enough to try approaching her when she digs in. and Din's works wonders against people who dig themselves in. none of the other stages really hurt her and ditlt lock or sheik jab lock in the tree of the fire stage is HAX. Water's windmill is kinda lame for us, though it can let utilt or usmash kill with NASTY deflected trajectories. Grass is pretty neutral to everyone. as is the "normal" transformation.

stages are nice heights for platform poking and chasing and the stage's barriers are close enough that KOs aren't too difficult for her (I think it's a shorter ceiling than most stages because the main platform is a little higher than it is on most other stages.) the ledges are BRUTALLY unforgiving, but the don't move around like lylat and they aren't permiable like delfino, halberd, norfair or brinstar, so sweetspotting it isn't hard... it's just awful if you misjudge.

all in all, I like the stage, I don't think it's bad for her, so it just depends on who I'm playing against and what charcter they are using.

#9 - Frigate
- Frigate does not seem to gimp Zelda. Her recovery lends herself to not needing a ledge, and we get ledge-hogged anyway. Small walls and ceiling along with a moving platform that she can hold down fairly well. Plus, Dsmash rules anyone with a tether recovery.

Positives:
- Small ceiling/short walls
- DSmash on right side for easy gimps on tether recoveries
- Zelda's recovery off right side has 2 options with platform for less predictable recovery
- When stage flips, it becomes a neutral stage with smaller boundaries

Negatives:

- Recovery is punishable on right side of starting stage
- Dins/FW while stage switches and Zelda can fall to her doom

#10 - Halberd - Zelda would love Halberd if it wasn't for the platform that takes you to the ship. If you start as Sheik there, you could switch to Zelda once the platform gets there and have a plenty of killing power.

Positives:
- Small Ceiling
- Dtilt Lock on slope

Negatives:
- Tendency to need Sheik while the platform travels.

Greyfox86 said:
Halberd I've never had a problem with the floor cause I don't go through it. I always reach for the ledges. And if that's the only reason why Zelda isn't good at that stage then it's kinda weak. =/

Zelda from that leverage of the stages during the flight part, is high enough to Fair or Bair any character. The platform is low enough to Usmash out of. Also this stage kinda gives her an advantage, her Dtilt gives her quite the priority on most uB's so if they come from the floor just Dtilt till you want to throw in a Dsmash.

I honestly find no problem in that stage. Now if you wanna talk about a stage that's bad for her its Yoshi's Island.
And there it is! The stages without write-ups or big summaries need them, and I will gladly accept someone else's write-up for them. If you have any additions, just post them up and I will quote you!

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Lol I was quoted on Halberd. :) Go me.

I like the stages up there so far.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
This is an awesome list. Now I really wanna use Brinstar and Norfair a lot more. RedHalberd's Falco took me to FD and lots of hurt ensued for me there. LOTS! Never ever fight Falco at FD, even if you press random stage select and it takes you there. Just No. I really want to learn how to use Japes more, that can be a really fun stage if it wasn't banned in FL. I think LM is also gone in FL, but I have to double check that.

EDIT: Scratch that, LM is okay in FL. "Whew" Japes is still out though.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Japes is Falco's best stage, so you would have to watch out for that too.

LM is gone in my region, so I am purely listening to the community on that stage, and they swear by the stage. Battlefield has a ton going for it, but you will find Brinstar and Norfair make for CP's that people aren't necessarily ready for.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I love everything about Frigate. I think it really helps her. Dsmash is amazing against any recovery that doesn't have multiple jumps or peach's float so normally you can punish their lag with another Dsmash or anything, even LKs.

And when it flips it really is a double-edged sword as it hinders her being the air and all, but sets up for a sweetspot so well and is easy to use Uair. Sometimes if you fall with your enemy you can Fw to the ground faster than they can fast fall and then chase them.

Bandit

Smash Lord
The problem I have found with Frigate is finding the right match-up for the stage. I like the stage in general, but there doesn't seem to be too many match-ups (Ike, Marth, ?) that would do well there as far as punishing recovery.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Well the way I see it, the stage helps anyone who's recovery goes vertical. Then again, the first part of the stage has the platform on the right despite the fact that if retreats hardcore.

There is some advantages to Frigate, like the part of the stage where it switches. At FS5, I think it was eiter Melee1 or Infinity but he was about to die right around the time the stage flipped over and it saved him by knocking him back down.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Man, so many good Zelda's fall cause they don't wanna play Brawl anymore. :(

Hope you come back SAL.

Bandit

Smash Lord
A whole crew in my region quit brawl to focus on melee. I'm not sure why because they were led by a strong diddy player and had some decent tournouts at tourneys.

Sorry to hear it SAL. I'll change it.

Super Angry Luigi

Smash Apprentice
It's not because I don't like Brawl anymore or that I prefer Melee (I don't like Melee more than Brawl), it's because I just suck. People that I used to be able to beat can wreck me with ease now, and even against characters that Zelda should have a clear advantage over (like C. Falcon and DDD), I do terrible.

Sorry guys. I want to keep playing, but all the game is really doing right now is just making me angry, so I just need to give the game a rest for now. I'm sure I'll start playing again before too long.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
Here are my tournament results that I found (could be all of them... not sure though). They go in chronological order starting with the first tournament I entered and ending with the one I went to yesterday. At least I am pretty sure they do.....

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=168360&highlight=Mass+madness
Mass Madness 9. 65th out of 97

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=182175&highlight=Mass+madness
Mass Madness 10. 33rd out of 65

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=178968&highlight=Riot
Work Time Fun. 14th out of 35

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=186733&highlight=Riot
TGA Ranking Battles. 12th out of 25

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=191863&highlight=Riot
PlayNTrade Tourney. 3rd out of 30. (thread does not show full roster)

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=197510&highlight=Mass+madness
Mass Madness 12. 17th out of 65

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=211884&highlight=Riot
LOBSTER3. 5th out of 13

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=216681
Super Mass Bros. 9th out of 49.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Riot, you forgot MIC.

Memphis Isn't Cool. 4th of 17?(can't remember the exact number of entrants)

And I can't find the results thread. But by god I ran that tourney for Memphis and I remember the top 4.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
good stuff guys! have you submitted some of these results in the tourney thread? Zelda/Sheik could use some points ^^

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
Thanks! But, sadly the thread only give points for the top 8 no matter how many people have entered the tournament. I always seem just out of reach! I will just have to try harder... or get better....

Bandit

Smash Lord
Thanks for the results! Finally, I see people saw the title. I didn't do a big write-up because I thought it was self-explanatory. I'll get these in the 3rd OP in the next days.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Hey I should be listed on here lol. I usually go Sheik/Zelda together, but I'd go just Zelda for a couple of match ups. If you need proof, well this is the only results that has me down as using them, and it's both chars together. It's recent though, a month ago or less.

Snakeee - Blue's Battle Circuit #6 NJ - 1/31 - $10 entry - $160 payout

Singles:
1: Snakeee (Zero Suit Samus and Zelda/Sheik)
2: Yes! (Snake/Wario)
3: Inui (Meta Knight/Snake)
4: teh_spamerer (Meta Knight)
5: BlackWaltz (Olimar)
5: Keitaro (Falco)
7: Shadow (Meta Knight)
7: Izumi (Meta Knight)
9: Pierce7d (Marth)
9: Umbra (Meta Knight)
9: D1 (Falco)
9: Rookie (Fox)
13: Doom (Meta Knight)
13: RJ (Lucario)
13: PRiDE (Yoshi)
13: Magus (Luigi)
17: Juice (Olimar)
17: HolyChef (Ice Climbers/Meta Knight)
17: NinjaEdd (Falco/Diddy Kong)
17: Eazy (Marth)
17: Munk (Dedede)
17: Rend (?)
17: Mr. Ryu (Snake)
17: Malcom (Sonic)
25: Dumba (?)
25: Palpi (Ike)
25: Ryko (Ike)
25: Rockin (Meta Knight)
25: bschung (Dedede)
25: Melo (Ice Climbers)
25: Jil (?)

link if you want it - http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=211824
and I just noticed that 5 out of the top 10 in that one used Metaknight >_>

Bandit

Smash Lord
Awesome job Snakeee! I'm not sure how I missed adding you; I was under the assumption I already did. No problem though because you are there now.

I will take this information and put it in the tournament placers area (3rd OP). It'll be up soon; I am trying to figure out exactly how to format it.

Keep up the great work, and if you are using Sheik/Zelda, then I'll take any tournament placing you have that you know you used them.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Amazing job Villi! What characters/players did you beat (I saw the bracket) and what characters/players beat you?

I played in a tourney yesterday that I will expand on later when the results thread gets made. It was not nearly as big, but it was a lot of fun.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Very good job Villi. Man for some reason, it looks like our Zelda stops short of top 8. :(

I'm not sure if its just me or not but that's what I've seen so far.

Top Bottom