• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Zero Suit Samus- Quick Question, Quick Answer Thread

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
You aren't understanding what i'm asking.

You get hit by the full attack. What's the optimal DI to avoid going off the top of the screen with the final kick. That's what I'm asking. With the best DI it hits more horizontally than vertically.
This answer wasn't for you anyway lol

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Since I am slightly tired of being fraudulent I was wondering something that clearly occurs at a frequent rate if not just for me but other ZSS's.

How long until opponents are in slide /launch frames from charged laserS?

The ammount of games /sets or just stocks that have slipped through my fingers when I could have potentially just down right ended a stock 50% earlier is just....

Even in matches from players like @ NickRiddle NickRiddle sometimes people are dumb when near the ledge or getting up and get hit by Charged lasers and without realizing it I do flip jump kick instead of pausing ever slightly so when I kick them it will spike them as they slide off.

Is there some sort of method for us to make a queue from the laser hit confirm so that we can better time spikes? (I.e maybe crouching twice and the flip jumping towards them, or trying the brawl dash away -> jump cancel flip jump kick at them)

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
I finally decided to main ZSS after a long searching for the perfect character. Now i am training with her and 2 questions came to my mind.

1. What is the trick to connect u-air u-air up-B ?? Does u-air have a sour spot that need to connect ? And after the first u-air i feel like i am falling too fast to connect second SH u air letting the time for my opponent to get out of the combo ? Is it just my timing that is wrong ?

2. Can you choose the direction your up-B will go or is the always the direction you are facing ? (Per exemple you can flip kick the opposite direction of where you are facing can you to the same with up-b)

Thanks a lot

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I finally decided to main ZSS after a long searching for the perfect character. Now i am training with her and 2 questions came to my mind.

1. What is the trick to connect u-air u-air up-B ?? Does u-air have a sour spot that need to connect ? And after the first u-air i feel like i am falling too fast to connect second SH u air letting the time for my opponent to get out of the combo ? Is it just my timing that is wrong ?

2. Can you choose the direction your up-B will go or is the always the direction you are facing ? (Per exemple you can flip kick the opposite direction of where you are facing can you to the same with up-b)

Thanks a lot
Can't answer the first one as I'm pretty bad at that myself, but if you just tilt the stick slightly in the direction you want to go, you should up-B that way.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever

Thanks a lot
To 1. it's not really something I like to do but you should take a look at my video in the ZSS combo video thread. It's in my last post there.
It includes the combo with different percentages and DI, SH and FH versions.
To 2. Yes you can reverse all your specials, including uSpecial. Just hit up+special and the direction you're not facing asap after that.

Since I am slightly tired of being fraudulent I was wondering something that clearly occurs at a frequent rate if not just for me but other ZSS's.

How long until opponents are in slide /launch frames from charged laserS?

The ammount of games /sets or just stocks that have slipped through my fingers when I could have potentially just down right ended a stock 50% earlier is just....

Even in matches from players like @ NickRiddle NickRiddle sometimes people are dumb when near the ledge or getting up and get hit by Charged lasers and without realizing it I do flip jump kick instead of pausing ever slightly so when I kick them it will spike them as they slide off.

Is there some sort of method for us to make a queue from the laser hit confirm so that we can better time spikes? (I.e maybe crouching twice and the flip jumping towards them, or trying the brawl dash away -> jump cancel flip jump kick at them)
nSpecial or dSmash too? I could sink some time into measuring it and try to make a short video about it.
I do my nSpecial offstage stuns into sex kick on reaction but anything else would interest me too.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
To 1. it's not really something I like to do but...

What do you use as an alternative when they are above? Just keep u-airing? I ask because I feel that chain isn't as good as everyone thinks it is, but I often do it because IDK what else to do.

David Viran

Smash Lord
What do you use as an alternative when they are above? Just keep u-airing? I ask because I feel that chain isn't as good as everyone thinks it is, but I often do it because IDK what else to do.
Not if they understand that it can be a DI mix up. When they are above up b still works if your not too far away from you but you might have to reverse it. The best thing to do is to not let that happen though.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Not if they understand that it can be a DI mix up. When they are above up b still works if your not too far away from you but you might have to reverse it. The best thing to do is to not let that happen though.

Not let them get above me? I thought that was the best way to rack up damage?

Im still very new to ZSS, but my game plan was basically to get them above me, or stun them and punish, all with the safety of my range. Kill with up-b, down-b, or possibly bair once they are more damaged.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
To 1. it's not really something I like to do but you should take a look at my video in the ZSS combo video thread. It's in my last post there.
It includes the combo with different percentages and DI, SH and FH versions.
To 2. Yes you can reverse all your specials, including uSpecial. Just hit up+special and the direction you're not facing asap after that.

nSpecial or dSmash too? I could sink some time into measuring it and try to make a short video about it.
I do my nSpecial offstage stuns into sex kick on reaction but anything else would interest me too.
Well it's just that I doubt especially on most stages that players will be able to react to the spike when they just slide off the stage netting us an early kill.

Down smash isn't that big a deal usually,
I sometimes surprise myself by calculating my rage and the oppenents% for killing early with my signature finisher.

NSpecial is basically the same no matter what unless they are in the air or its uncharged.

Last edited:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
try an uAir and see what they do. After some tries you should be able to predict the airdodge and get some bigger hits in. You try to trap them into an airdodge into ground too if they spam airdodge. Don't forget to FF your aerials if you didn't get the uAir hit in or already did your DJ.

Not let them get above me? I thought that was the best way to rack up damage?

Im still very new to ZSS, but my game plan was basically to get them above me, or stun them and punish, all with the safety of my range. Kill with up-b, down-b, or possibly bair once they are more damaged.
Yes for racking up damage but not for connecting the uSpecial. You need to have about the same height as they have.

Well it's just that I doubt especially on most stages that players will be able to react to the spike when they just slide off the stage netting us an early kill.

Down smash isn't that big a deal usually,
I sometimes surprise myself by calculating my rage and the oppenents% for killing early with my signature finisher.

NSpecial is basically the same no matter what unless they are in the air or its uncharged.
Rage only affects the speed and distance they get pushed away right? Not stun duration.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
Thanks for the advice @ Tobi_Whatever Tobi_Whatever ! My last question is what do you mean by bigger hits? Higher damage aerials? Or FF into a smash?

I would guess that is situational, but what is generally your go-to if they are airdodging really predictably?

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Thanks for the advice @ Tobi_Whatever Tobi_Whatever ! My last question is what do you mean by bigger hits? Higher damage aerials? Or FF into a smash?

I would guess that is situational, but what is generally your go-to if they are airdodging really predictably?
Force them to dodge into ground and do a landing uAir or nAir. both can lead into uAir > uSpecial or fAir/bAir. Bigger hits in the air also mean uAir or uSpecial most of the time but bAir is nice too.
You have some more options but landing nAir and uAir have a lot of damage potential because they come out fast and can be chained into other stuff.
You could also wait for the dodge and punish them right in the air.
It's all very situational stuff especially when you're starting. Just concentrate on the neutral and your execution and the rest will come by itself.

TrunksBrief

Smash Rookie
After having the game for about 4 months, I've decided to strictly main ZSS. I just wanna dominate For Glory. Although I don't attend local tourneys, I watch them on Twitch regularly

One question comes to mind. If I get a grab early on an opponent, lets say <20%, is it actually better to use an u-throw rather than d-throw>u-airs to rack damage?

TrunksBrief

Smash Rookie
I think your best bets is dthrow to fair or bair, as they will usually chain into more aerials.
Yea I went into training mode, I found more success with d-throw>short hop into u-air than u-throw>u-air, even at low percents. Thanks, I should mix up d-throw intro f-air or b-air more often

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Yea I went into training mode, I found more success with d-throw>short hop into u-air than u-throw>u-air, even at low percents. Thanks, I should mix up d-throw intro f-air or b-air more often
At low percent I nearly always go for dThrow > fAir. It's good damage and keeps your uAir fresh for the serious stuff later on

Last edited:

VeteranUnderdog

Smash Rookie
NNID
VeteranUnderdog
3DS FC
3110-7027-9609
My best friend recentley started playing smash and uses ZSS as one of his mains but i don't play her at all. Could you give some bread and butter combos or tips on how to land the Up-B so i can teach him something about her?

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
My best friend recentley started playing smash and uses ZSS as one of his mains but i don't play her at all. Could you give some bread and butter combos or tips on how to land the Up-B so i can teach him something about her?
Fully charged paralyzer> boost kick

Dsmash > boost kick

Dthrow> up air> boost kick

Dthrow> up air> up air > boost kick

Boost kick out of shield

Flip jump bury> boost kick (for extra damage, do a dsmash after you bury them.)

Last edited:

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
hey what are our OOS option other than up b ? I tried doing SH nair but i always get a zair instead ... weird

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
hey what are our OOS option other than up b ? I tried doing SH nair but i always get a zair instead ... weird
If your getting zair, you might still be holding shield while pressing A,
So let go of shield as your jumping, then press A to get the nair.

Kim_UK

Smash Rookie
NNID
ks6g10
Trying to learn neutral B wavebouncing and having some troubles.

1. I can successfully do it using the "press B while holding back very slightly on the analog stick, then press forward on the analog" technique 85% of the time (facing left), but it always shoots above the head, i.e. fully charged before landing.

2. Whilst the conventional method (Flick back on the analog stick, allow it to return to neutral, press B immediately after, then press forward on the analog stick.) I can barely do it reliably, but it never misses target (does not go above the head) when I land it.

Questions:

Should I stick to 1. or 2.?

Do you have any tips on how to achieve 2. better? Or is it just practice practice practice?

Read on some wiki that you can use b-sticking for neutral B (use it for WB side/down b), is it achivable? Have tried all directions but it never does neutral B unless I spam the C-Stick.

Last edited:

TheMasterHand

Smash Rookie
Idk if this has been answered but how do you spike with zss's down b? When I try spiking the opponent goes sideways instead of straight down how does her down b work?

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Idk if this has been answered but how do you spike with zss's down b? When I try spiking the opponent goes sideways instead of straight down how does her down b work?
When pressing an attack button, instead of spiking you'll do a kick. To spike, don't press anything and just land on them. It's also how you bury someone.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Wow, that information is incorrect as ****.
To spike somebody with the kick you have to hit with the flames below ZSS's foot.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Trying to learn neutral B wavebouncing and having some troubles.

1. I can successfully do it using the "press B while holding back very slightly on the analog stick, then press forward on the analog" technique 85% of the time (facing left), but it always shoots above the head, i.e. fully charged before landing.

2. Whilst the conventional method (Flick back on the analog stick, allow it to return to neutral, press B immediately after, then press forward on the analog stick.) I can barely do it reliably, but it never misses target (does not go above the head) when I land it.

Questions:

Should I stick to 1. or 2.?

Do you have any tips on how to achieve 2. better? Or is it just practice practice practice?

Read on some wiki that you can use b-sticking for neutral B (use it for WB side/down b), is it achivable? Have tried all directions but it never does neutral B unless I spam the C-Stick.
The way i do it is i slightl tilt tye stick in the opposite directions as to get a turn around nuetral special, and quickly tilt it back the way you were facing, and you should get a b reverse of the nuetral special.

It takes timing and practice. If you get side special, while getting the wavebounce right, you initially pressed the opposute direction too far. So option 1 wouod be your best bet

To get the spike kick, you have to acivate the kick just before you hit your opponent. You want to hit with the very tip of the kick.

You can practice the spacing in training mode by having the cpu jump.

Also a near sure fire way to get it is to back throw someone between 35%-50% and immediatly flip kick after them.
Or dsmash at point blank range, flip jump over them, activate the kick, and you should have sweet spotted the spike (to which if they dont tech, at high percents the stage bounce will kill them.)

Kim_UK

Smash Rookie
NNID
ks6g10
The way i do it is i slightl tilt tye stick in the opposite directions as to get a turn around nuetral special, and quickly tilt it back the way you were facing, and you should get a b reverse of the nuetral special.

It takes timing and practice. If you get side special, while getting the wavebounce right, you initially pressed the opposute direction too far. So option 1 wouod be your best bet
Thank you, figured out why it was not hitting as well, reason was that if you initiate the wavebounce before reaching the jump apex, the bounce will move a bit up, thus overshooting.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Wow, that information is incorrect as ****.
To spike somebody with the kick you have to hit with the flames below ZSS's foot.
Wait, what? I could've sworn just landing on top of them with down-b spiked, unless that wasn't a spike at all and I'm a bigger fraud than I thought.

TrunksBrief

Smash Rookie
At low percent I nearly always go for dThrow > fAir. It's good damage and keeps your uAir fresh for the serious stuff later on
Yep this is a great option.

Fully charged paralyzer> books kick

Dsmash > boost kick

Dthrow> up air> boost kick

Dthrow> up air> up air > boost kick

Boost kick out of shield

Flip jump bury> boost kick (for extra damage, do a dsmash after you bury them.)
I need to try mixing in boost kick more without forcing it for a potential punish. I have a knack for going for the gimp, and when I recover, I intercept them at the edge with up-b for the KO

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Who are the best characters to use against ZSS?

I can destroy almost everyone with Ike but even a moderately skilled ZSS can steamroll me.

Need a good secondary character to take out ZSS. Thoughts?

Megamang

Smash Lord
Who are the best characters to use against ZSS?

I can destroy almost everyone with Ike but even a moderately skilled ZSS can steamroll me.

Need a good secondary character to take out ZSS. Thoughts?
People who can abuse her poor neutral game/outcamp her give her great difficulty. Additionally, her strong spacing game is much easier against taller characters due to the way her moves work; short characters give her trouble. I have the most trouble against diddy, who fits both of those criteria. Additionally, shiek is a bad matchup just because her neutral is so, so so so strong and safe. I try ZSS against shiek but I almost always switch for diddy. Campy diddy who punishes attempts at spacing with bananas OOS is a huuuuge pain.

In general, to win the matchup you need to make sure you don't die to a boost kick really early, or get juggled with U-air for 70 damage each stock. Both of these things are mitigated by good dodging and DI, and made much more easy with predictable dodging.

I won a lot of matches at the last tournament I attended because people have the habit of jumping when they are sent horizontally over the edge. Literally won matches by just running at them offstage and RARing a bair at the ledge while they jumped into it. The point is, predictability - in the air especially - can mean death against ZSS.

Last edited:

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
is there any combo or AT that ZSS can't do it she doesn't have c-stick set to attack ?

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Wait, what? I could've sworn just landing on top of them with down-b spiked, unless that wasn't a spike at all and I'm a bigger fraud than I thought.
The flip jump has two spiking properties, sour spotted spike is when they get knocked down, usually during any part of the move, and a stronger spike that happens at the apex of her flip, and at the very very very end of the animation.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
The flip jump has two spiking properties, sour spotted spike is when they get knocked down, usually during any part of the move, and a stronger spike that happens at the apex of her flip, and at the very very very end of the animation.
... What are you taking about?

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
... What are you taking about?
Hmmm... it must be percent dependent if im getting different spike results.

Edit: yep.... doesnt start hard spiking till about 80%

Last edited:

Zelbur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zelbur
What do I do in the neutral? Like, what should my neutral game look like? Also, is utilt invincible at all? I can't shake the feeling I'm beating things I shouldn't with it. Such a great option.

And yeah, I really like Bowser as a secondary. A lot of the problem matchups for ZSS are fragile speedsters, and Bowser is all over that.
Micro-spacing with Nair is very good. Also with Zair and Bair. Against chars without ranged attacks/reflectors you can shoot some paralyzer shots. If you read a roll or land a Neutral B, grab and start a combo.
Also, Utilt does NOT give invincibility frames, but it comes out very early, like frame 3 (correct me if I'm wrong)

Last edited:
Top Bottom