• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Questions & Answers

noradseven

Smash Lord
No! That's not true! The flip automatically does another flip when it connects with a wall. The reason that you usually catch the edge is because it's programed to catch the edge and not wall jump when encountering both options at the same time.

When you bounce off the edge, it's because you've hit the wall, but are too high up to grab the edge (only the upper part of your characters body can grab the edge), so instead of grabbing, you end up flip-wall-jumping it instead.

Try it in Yoshi's. First use the flip without DI on the lower part so you'll see that it flips off no matter what. Then do it higher to catch the edge. Then do it ever so slightly higher, so your foot touches the edge as you are just about to and it, and it should flip back off.
Ohh snap you are right, I thought for sure thats how it worked, I must of just been magically spacing it right subconsciously, but yep holding down Does indeed make the second jump not come out, so when I flick to back I must of been pressing down.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of her Down B, does anyone know what frames she is invincible on when she uses it? Thanks.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
Speaking of her Down B, does anyone know what frames she is invincible on when she uses it? Thanks.
(DON'T ANSWER HIM! SHE'S NOT ONE OF HIS SECONDARIES! THIS IS MATCH UP ADVICE FOR HIM!)

It's really not enough for anything other than getting out of tight situations anyways. Don't worry to wave your whopping sword freely when she's in the flip. =P

Wenis of Lore

Smash Cadet
for me, the down B is either a god-send or a absolute suicide(engaging kick when i didn't press it). in what ways is it more ridiculous than i previously thought?..........although, the main reason i started writing this was to ask a different question. i just got out of a tournament and i kept losing to ledgehoggers. i know it's a tactic and all(not to mention, i don't think i'm great, but i don't suck) but for godsake, i can be punishing people and they'll still win by ledgehogging. it throws a wrench into every approach i try to take, which in turn just makes me passive since i'm concentrating on not being knocked off(which is inevitable of course). what i'm asking is, do you guys have any tips on recovering with ZSS?..............cause i'm dying here

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Well Snakeee made a nice detailed guide to recovering with ZSS, check the resource center. However, one of the keys to not getting hogged is to not put yourself in that situation. Yes you will get knocked off, so make sure you get knocked off as high as possible. Learn to DI.

More and more I've been recovering on stage, to the point where I just don't give them a chance to ledge hog me, and it's largely in part because of my DI, and just because I know all my options when recovering.

Ummm... not very helpful.
The cake combo is the definition of helpful.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
I guess tongue and cheek really is difficult to get over the internet.

And the first rule when discussing the cake combo is never, ever, discuss the cake combo.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Something I've been wondering: how many frames of start-up lag does DSmash have? Because from what I can see, it's pretty slow in that regard.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
NOTE: This was copy/pasted from the "ask snakeee" thread, and I put it here, too, hoping to get more help.

"Okay, first off, as a Pit mainer, I'd like to introduce Pit's bad matchups, and their ratios, or at least IMO:

G&W (35:65): Screw his turtle and priorities
Marth (40:60): Range, speed, tippers
Wario (40:60): He tends to be hard to hit, and is quite quick for a heavyweight, hard to kill
Snake (45:55): Snake's OP'd Tilts, KOs Pit easily, while Pit is bad at KOing and Snake's weight is just a lot.
Olimar (40:60): Side-B spam can force us to approach, and his grabbing is rather annoying
MK (40:60): He's broken, but he's simply a common sight, not as hard as G&W
Kirby (45:55): He's small, hard to hit, and can gimp a Pit somewhat easily via B-air spam

Others: These are practically the ones that round up to being even with Pit the most.
TL (from 45:55 TL to even): TL is one of the very few chars that can outcamp Pit, and his Z-air has priority.
D3 (around even): His annoying range and CGs, B-air spam can annoy Pit and gimp him too.
Falco (from 45:55 to even): If it wasnt for the CG-to-spike thing and maybe not so much the blasters.

The problem with Pit for the most part is that his melee range is bad, making it hard for him to approach long-ranged chars. I realize my other secondaries, which are Bowser, Wario, DK, and Wolf, are all heavyweights, but have limits in their recoveries, and easy to hit, mostly Bowser.

Why I chose to try out ZSS:
-She seems to do well against G&W, which is Pit's worst matchup, to me.
-I would like to have a Female char in my team, and since Zelda really is kinda limited, and vulnerable during her recovery, ZSS was the next in line.
-She'd probably be my only speed char, besides my alternate Fox

So that's where I thought about trying ZSS out, with her long range, and speed. So here are my questions.

1: Are there any basic ZSS follow-ups I can use, besides the Dash attack to U-tilt at low %s?
2: What basic strategies does ZSS have that i can try to do, in general?
3: Do u think ZSS would make a decent secondary for Pit?
4: Though this would be hard to answer, but how well do u think a Pit/ZSS 2v2 team would do overall?

Sorry for the long intro, but this is probably my first time being specifically here on these boards."
Once I get the basic follow-ups down, I can probably get good with her.

noradseven

Smash Lord
She does better against marth and wario too, both those matches are even or slightly our way.

As for general stuff I suggest you look around I know my handbook is still on the first page somewhere, and the resource guide is a good place to start.

With ZSS when you get good you want to do alot of b-air, and u-air, n-air is your god priority move, but b-air and u-air, have great hitboxes, that allow us to be beat many moves.

You will quickly learn that over B and neutral B are quite dangerous, and the only way to make them sorta safe is do them on retreat, often times throw them in front of the opponent.

dash attack, to d-tilt.
Dash attackXn (dazlock)
dash attack to d-smash at very specific damages (ya it combos)
stale u-air into more u-air at low damages.
Learn how to use your items well, there is alot of crazy stuff you can do with them.

ZSS is a S tier team character, she does good with basically everyone, Pit isn't exceptionally good or bad just kinda there.

I think ZSS would be an alright secondary, though they don't play that alike. We do cover your 3 worst matches so that is good.

Blade1844

Smash Apprentice
ZSS vs Wolf

at 0:28 to 0:32 ZSS does something that looks like multiple rotations of a flip in the air. Can anyone explain what this is and how to do it?

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
ZSS vs Wolf

at 0:28 to 0:32 ZSS does something that looks like multiple rotations of a flip in the air. Can anyone explain what this is and how to do it?
That's her down-b flip footstool without a specified direction. It just goes directly up, in the little ball-flip.

It is kinda hard to see her doing the flip there because of her placement in relation to wolf, but she's doing it.

noradseven

Smash Lord
Someone told me ZSS has a combat walk, is that true?
If it is, can someone show me a vid of it. =P
Ahh you mean crouch walk just crouch then tip forward slightly its just like snakes, and sheiks.

and just like snakes and sheiks it can be useful occasionally.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Ahh you mean crouch walk just crouch then tip forward slightly its just like snakes, and sheiks.

and just like snakes and sheiks it can be useful occasionally.
I think combat walking is when you move forward with your jabs... Like, 1st jab > 2nd jab, hold A to go back to first jab, etc.

And, yes, we have one. but I don't think there's a vid of it online.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
So it's just, 2 jabs, and then? =P
You hold A and it goes back to the first jab... Then you do the second jab again... There's a timing for it where you can do it pretty fast, like Ike, but it's pretty useless for us, since Ike's jabs actually have a good third hit.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
I have another (possible nooby) question about ZSS. One person on here (I think it was SFP) said that ZSS was one of the hardest characters in the game to gimp if her recovery is used right. Well, if that's true, I'm using her totally wrong. If you're recovering in a strictly horizontal sense, double jump then Flip Jump can usually make it back. But what happens if you need some vertical height too? If the Flip Jump doesn't reach the stage, surely that leaves you open to edgehogging since she has to use her tether? And if your opponent times it right after that, I get screwed over. How do I overcome this problem? Apart from the obvious 'DI upwards' scenario, which doesn't work 100% of the time for me.

sasook

Smash Champion
It may be hard to you, but honestly the best answer is DI. I can't give a link since I'm on my itouch, but do me a favor, go on YouTube and search "arkivezero DI" it should be the first result. It's titled "Directional Influence: Things You Should Know" that vid will help you tons.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Just realize that our recovery is amazing because good DI is implied. Pretty much, unless you are MK, Pit, ROB, or Wario (maybe a few others), DI is essential.

Yes you will sometimes get edgeguarded if you are forced to recover low. That's not a tether unique situation though, every character with the exceptions of the ones above can be edgehogged if they come in low.

That said, learn your options. Boost jump and flip kick wall bounce especially, are your friends

noradseven

Smash Lord
I have a question. What's with the hats? Inside joke?
probably because I made fun of smashboards tier list pickings by claiming that the people who select them are a bunch of people with top hats going hurf durf, I like ____ character is better, ho ho ho I disagree good sir, but after this lets go out and have some tea and crumpets oh ho ho, sounds good, *adjusts monicle.

Top Bottom