• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Questions & Answers

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
It is really good for her actually. A combination of factors, like her having a ****ty SH, good aerials, and good run speed, make plat canceling a superior way to crossup compared to just shorthopping over their heads.

ZS can pressure shields pretty well with bair into ground moves, in general, but it gets really hard when characters are good at stopping you from using your SH approach in the first place, case in point falco

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Falco has to commit to keep you away, you just need to position yourself properly to get him.

Anyways, best use for Platform canceling is dropthrough uair > see what you can do. You can rejump to uair again, you can upb, you can platform cancel and repeat etc
But really, we have nothing that pushes them off easily or is that scary up close.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Guys.
I realized i'm bad today

any tips on how to get better on Uairing really low to the stage and OOS?
Or is it morely practice?

Most of the time i buffer it wrong and i keep grabbing OOS. :-\

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Just tilt up and press Y and A at the same time... If you can do buffered SH nairs you should be able to buffer uairs, just tilt up on the control stick and input a buffered nair.

I've never gotten grab when I try to buffer a Uair, only jump canceled U smash or Nair. You must be hitting A too early somehow.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
You can not buffer SH uair, you have to do uair on the first frame after ZSS leaves the ground. This is because up+attack input cancels jumps. It's not easy, you're not bad.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
You can not buffer SH uair, you have to do uair on the first frame after ZSS leaves the ground. This is because up+attack input cancels jumps. It's not easy, you're not bad.
That's only if you smash up; you can buffer Uair if you tilt stick or tilt up and use jump and A, try it.

KatanaK7

Smash Rookie
I think this is the place for my questions, right?
Well, I've read something about stages, someone chooses certain stages, and someone else cries about the chosen stages, and it was in a Wifi-match. How can one communicate over Wifi?

Next, I wanted to ask something about my ZSS-play.
[COLLAPSE="ZSS"]I don't really use any (advanced) technique, I just play on instinct, with minor DI I think (I just press the opposite direction or 90° off of the directrion I'm flying).
What I know so far, is that Fsmash sucks, I use Ftilt a lot although some people think it sucks too, same for Dair. I know ZSS's moveset and I mostly try to get my opponent into the air as explained in the forums.
I'm currently improving my recovery. I don't have a GC-controller yet, but I'm planning on getting one. What should be the next thing to learn?[/COLLAPSE]

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Ftilt isnt bad per se, but overall dtilt is better. Though at low-mid percentages ftilt can combo into dash attack into anything really. Ftilt has its uses, angled up its really good against approaches like foxs dair, for example.
Dair can be used as a mixup, but you need to predict your opponent to properly use it. If he knows you are going to dair, he can wait for you.

Get recovery down first. Spacing is obviously important. Learning how to work your defense is important, too.

BioDG

Smash Ace
I'm a little confused about the properties/limits of the 2xdsmash->upB string so I was hoping someone here might know more about it.

I know there's times where the upB doesn't pull down, so I don't know when it's the best time to make use of the string. Also, is there any worthwhile advantage at all at any percent to only single dsmash before the upB? I have a nasty habit of holding off doing a second dsmash at times, but I can't tell when/if there's any real advantage (from the longer stun) to doing that.

@Mink:

I guess you aren't hitting jump if you're buffer-grabbing instead? Anyway, make sure you can clean up that jump oos first and foremost. Then...figure out what else might be the problem. Practicing your speed with moving your joystick input from standing/run to up (at the jump for a sh uair) may help, for instance. When I was learning it, that part was the most important.

But yeah, it's not overly complicated but it does take some practice. You'll be good to go before you know it uair-****** players.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
I'm a little confused about the properties/limits of the 2xdsmash->upB string so I was hoping someone here might know more about it.

I know there's times where the upB doesn't pull down, so I don't know when it's the best time to make use of the string. Also, is there any worthwhile advantage at all at any percent to only single dsmash before the upB? I have a nasty habit of holding off doing a second dsmash at times, but I can't tell when/if there's any real advantage (from the longer stun) to doing that.
You can DI the Up B easily or tech it. You should be doing D smash x2 > aerial or D smash x2 > Dash Attack > U tilt/D tilt.

The only times you should be using 1 D smash is offstage if you're going to follow up with a spike, stage spike, or footstool or for some character specific infinites/chains.

It's just not 2008 anymore. Good players will get out of D smash x2 > Up B every time.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
How exactly do you do the forward throw to upB offstage so that it drags your opponent all the way down? Everytime I try going for that upB to drag him down I end up grabbing onto the ledge :(

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
How exactly do you do the forward throw to upB offstage so that it drags your opponent all the way down? Everytime I try going for that upB to drag him down I end up grabbing onto the ledge :(
Hold up + forward.
Like, the diagonal.
You won't grab the ledge.

FEAR977

Smash Apprentice
What's the highest percent we can get off the dsmash lock on fox

:phone:
I might be being an idiot, but I'm not exactly sure what you are asking.
The lock goes from about 0-96%.
The highest percent fox can be at before you can't dsmash him again is about 58%.
I hope this helped. Sorry for not understanding you.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
No worries man and that's exactly what I wanted to know I just explained it horribly, also what part of her downB is the one that actually spikes?

FEAR977

Smash Apprentice
No worries man and that's exactly what I wanted to know I just explained it horribly, also what part of her downB is the one that actually spikes?
I think all of the hit boxes on her downB spike. It depends on when they make contact with the opponent. Her downB only spikes on the first few frames. I'm not exactly sure which number frames though.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
Oh wow 8 frames? Isnt Up air out of shield like 6? I was toying around with a lot of things at the tourney last weekend and I found out that Up Smash out of shield is amazing against short characters that can avoid. I'm also working a new technique ( or rather actually apply an unexplored AT) that could potentially change some match ups for us.

FIERCE

Smash Journeyman
I really should try and practice more random ZSS things. I don't play a lot as of late (late being 2009) but I see some new untapped potential. YAY.

Dakpo, how was it to play some of our San Diego MK's?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Oh wow 8 frames? Isnt Up air out of shield like 6? I was toying around with a lot of things at the tourney last weekend and I found out that Up Smash out of shield is amazing against short characters that can avoid. I'm also working a new technique ( or rather actually apply an unexplored AT) that could potentially change some match ups for us.
Uair is 9. Jump = 5, Uair = 4.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
\
Dakpo, how was it to play some of our San Diego MK's?
Hav0k and T3arb3ar new the match up extremely well and i wasnt quite ready for it. They gave lots of complements to you! Im sad you werent there though. I honestly have no clue how good you are -___-

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
If you D smash D3 then grab and buffer a pummel he instantly ground releases after the pummel and he kinda vibrates for awhile regardless of percent. Does anyone know how many frames we have to hit him after the ground release before his shield comes out?

PEACE7

Smash Champion
If you D smash D3 then grab and buffer a pummel he instantly ground releases after the pummel and he kinda vibrates for awhile regardless of percent. Does anyone know how many frames we have to hit him after the ground release before his shield comes out?
That sounds so dope can't wait to hear if its an infinite or not good stuff

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Test it for sure, even a guaranteed utilt/up b/DA would be nice. Any theories on why DDD gets randomly ****ed over by our grab, apparently in multiple ways now lol? I'm always curious about this kind of thing

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
Loool if we can regrab off of that we have an infinite on D3, ladies and gentlemen
uhhh...you mean if you can get a dsmash after the grab again...because the release from the dsmash>grab>pummel is in a different animation then the normal grab release

at the very least you get a mixup situation, they either dodge or shield .

Top Bottom