• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Questions & Answers

noradseven

Smash Lord
Brinstar is what I recommend but do not go to battlefeild or distant planet vs marth
Lyat cruise is another good stage to CP against
Marth can camp under platforms well, ZSS likes the platform part but not the oppenents standing under them part thats why brinstar is good, vs marth.

Gotta be careful on FD, marth is slightly faster than us in the air... but over all its probably a good stage for us.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Air releasing.

Wario's have found out you they can air release > waft MK, by grab realeasing, picking up a close wheel, glide tossing, and farting.

So I was thinking, in the start we have 3 armor pieces, why don't we experiment with grab release > glide toss > aerials/anything?

noradseven

Smash Lord
Air releasing.

Wario's have found out you they can air release > waft MK, by grab realeasing, picking up a close wheel, glide tossing, and farting.

So I was thinking, in the start we have 3 armor pieces, why don't we experiment with grab release > glide toss > aerials/anything?
Because that implys you landed a grab with ZSS...which is unlikely, plus we already have a decent number of options with grabs, but I woulnd't be surprised if we had some cool stuff but, I so rarely grab and im never really in the position to while I have items.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Because that implys you landed a grab with ZSS...which is unlikely, plus we already have a decent number of options with grabs, but I woulnd't be surprised if we had some cool stuff but, I so rarely grab and im never really in the position to while I have items.
Still worth testing, if we have a nice option for 1 situation
and we get a new one every once in a while...
we'll own in every situation! :bee:

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
You need to find a setup for it basically, where you can have the piece near you and land a grab. downward JCT would probably work alright. I think there is probably a distance which you could forward GT and grab them out of the knockback before they fly too far away, which would also work.

Unfortunately, this wouldn't that great for us anyways. We have 20 frames to do something before the air released can act, so you won't get a dsmash out of it (which would probably have allowed for an infinite til the item disappeared lol). It might allow for a nB, which could allow for some crazy stuff actually.

I duno I'm 100% theory crafting right now, but I can imagine a scenario where you air release, downward GT nB, pivot grab, air release regrab back over to the item, then do it again.

Edit: or just air release dGT pivot grab, air release to the piece, repeat, for infinite grab release until the piece dies

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
But isn't the start-up on DSmash exactly 20 frames? That would mean that if we buffered it then it should hit just in time.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
But isn't the start-up on DSmash exactly 20 frames? That would mean that if we buffered it then it should hit just in time.
You should keep the glide tossing in mind, it hits on frame 21 iirc, which is why wario can pull off his bike.

Btw, downward JCT would be best as seeing zero slide and the throw animation easily baits a shield

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
You still have to pick the item up and travel the GT distance, which will add to the time it takes, so no dsmash wouldn't work. 17 frames for a nb or grab would probably be tight be doable, and if I'm envisioning the situation right, it should give us some crazy infinite regrabs until the piece expires, and if you keep it bouncing (upward throw would be better than dthrow for this reason) that could be a lot of damage, even if you're only getting a nB and one pummel per grab.

Of course setting up that situation would be very difficult in the first place.

Gah777

Smash Lord
Um can we do like the Wolf boards are doing and have a team matchup discussion? You know, talking about which characters Zamus works well with and vice versa as well as team combos.
For example I like to know how well Zamus and Zelda team up.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
ZSS is top 3 or 4 in teams and works with seriously almost anyone.

ZSS/Snake, ZSS/Gaw (gimmicky but it works), ZSS/MK, and ZSS/Ness or Lucas, these are all favorites talked about.

noradseven

Smash Lord
ZSS is top 3 or 4 in teams and works with seriously almost anyone.

ZSS/Snake, ZSS/Gaw (gimmicky but it works), ZSS/MK, and ZSS/Ness or Lucas, these are all favorites talked about.
Yeah I was about to list some more but its p. much everyone who doesn't have a gay *** spammy projectile(that stuns read not snake). aka wolf/falco/pikachu

I have had good success with diddy.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Zero Suit Samus is amazing in teams.
She's an amazing support character that can hold her own against pretty much the entire roster. Thanks to her ability to flip jump, as well as her amazing speed and jump height, her partner doesn't have to watch out for her either.

In teams, I always stick with ZSS or Wario; they both work well with just about anyone.

Now that I think about it, a ZSS/Wario team would do really well.
Bite -> SH Nair -> Bite Catch/Dair.
Low Knockback + Solid 10% would be nice for allowing team combos.

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
I've just started training my ZSS and these are a few issues I've run into:

-I cannot cancel Dair. No matter what I do I go down the entire distance until the move itself is fully finished. I thought there was a way to cancel it within, what, 30 frames or so?
-I cannot cancel DownB. I use the move, want to jump/attack out of it and instead end up doing the kick. I've seen players use it, then break out of it by using another move, how is this done?
-I heard Nair can combo grounded opponents. So far the landing lag has been so bad that I cannot follow up, how are you supposed to use the move to get it to combo into other things?
-When I jump, and want to fastfall, it doesn't work until I've reached the highest point of my jump. Aren't you supposed to be able to SHFF? How are you supposed to fastfall before the highest point of the jump? I use a chuck+wiimote, and tap down repeatedly, but nothing happens. It might be because of the controller I guess.

-Does DownB really start at frame 1? If so, can't you escape lots and lots of combos by just jumping out of them?
-ZSS' first jump has been bugging me. When I try to SH an aerial, she jumps so high, even with a short hop, that my Fair just goes right over their heads, the only thing I can manage is a SH Uair with very strict timing. Am I supposed to wait with the aerial until I've reached the highest point of the jump?
-How do I follow up a successful double Dsmash? I've been trying to SH Fair, but the Fair just goes right over their heads.

noradseven

Smash Lord
I've just started training my ZSS and these are a few issues I've run into:

-I cannot cancel Dair. No matter what I do I go down the entire distance until the move itself is fully finished. I thought there was a way to cancel it within, what, 30 frames or so?
-I cannot cancel DownB. I use the move, want to jump/attack out of it and instead end up doing the kick. I've seen players use it, then break out of it by using another move, how is this done?
-I heard Nair can combo grounded opponents. So far the landing lag has been so bad that I cannot follow up, how are you supposed to use the move to get it to combo into other things?
-When I jump, and want to fastfall, it doesn't work until I've reached the highest point of my jump. Aren't you supposed to be able to SHFF? How are you supposed to fastfall before the highest point of the jump? I use a chuck+wiimote, and tap down repeatedly, but nothing happens. It might be because of the controller I guess.

-Does DownB really start at frame 1? If so, can't you escape lots and lots of combos by just jumping out of them?
-ZSS' first jump has been bugging me. When I try to SH an aerial, she jumps so high, even with a short hop, that my Fair just goes right over their heads, the only thing I can manage is a SH Uair with very strict timing. Am I supposed to wait with the aerial until I've reached the highest point of the jump?
-How do I follow up a successful double Dsmash? I've been trying to SH Fair, but the Fair just goes right over their heads.
-d-air yeah you got to do it REALLY REALLY HIGH.
-down B we head tap press up when over or ontop of an moving item(nade/turnip/thrown pikmen), or person to jump off of them then you can cancel this.
-do n-air really close to the ground and hit the center box and its quite easy to follow up with u-air around 20-40%ish.
-thats how fastfalling works bro, you can't fastfall earlier, you can shorthop then fastfall that might be what your seeing.

-Yes down B starts on frame 1, and yeah we can the problem is if they predict us we are now off the edge without one of our best recovery moves, plus if you read here alot we do use it to escape alot of combos lol hit 2-3 of marths dancing blade hahaha.
-Yeah she has a p. high shorthop, just learn to shorthop fast fall u-air/b-air/n-air, f-air is terrible against grounded oppenents but p. great against oppenents in the air.
-God **** it do I have to pull out my flowchart again

d-smash->d-smash->f-air(damage)/u-air(setup)/b-air(killing)/grab(only at higher percents)/over B(only at higher percents)
..............->down B,spike, off the edge IK
..............->jabx2,crouch cancel, sh.fastfall,n-air(close),j. u-air(weak),u-air *yes this true combos
..............->dashattack xN (char dependent
..............->(wait till the pop up, d-smash on landing) xN (char dependent bascially only super fast fallers).
..............->jabx2,crouch cancel, over B(killing)

For the f-air do the f-air earlier and it should work, not the jump the move f-air as soon as you jump.
Also my flowchart was more flowcharty and more detailed before but I don't feel like doing it again and I can't find it.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
That talk of down b and dair got me thinking, if you do the vertical down b footstool and then dair does it stall? If so, I think I found my new tricksies to try out

solecalibur

Smash Master
Zero Suit Samus is amazing in teams.
She's an amazing support character that can hold her own against pretty much the entire roster. Thanks to her ability to flip jump, as well as her amazing speed and jump height, her partner doesn't have to watch out for her either.

In teams, I always stick with ZSS or Wario; they both work well with just about anyone.

Now that I think about it, a ZSS/Wario team would do really well.
Bite -> SH Nair -> Bite Catch/Dair.
Low Knockback + Solid 10% would be nice for allowing team combos.
When you would grab release during teams I usually do d smash as long as my team mate is spaced enough? is that better then a regular one?

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
That talk of down b and dair got me thinking, if you do the vertical down b footstool and then dair does it stall? If so, I think I found my new tricksies to try out
I don't think so.

The Stall&Fall usually just applies for knock back momentum.
(However, I'm interested in that as well. I think I'm going to try it.)

When you would grab release during teams I usually do d smash as long as my team mate is spaced enough? is that better then a regular one?
Grab release who? Wario or another character?

I was talking about when Wario is ON your team, not against your team.
Other characters, grab release to down smash usually isn't guaranteed.

But that has me wondering too...

Wario Bite -> ZSS Down smash -> Wario Bite -> ZSS Down smash.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
You can just do force ground release while we charge dsmash, it's a 30 frame window before they can do anything after getting released so it's easy to time. Once they're stunned obviously your partner can regrab and do it again.

But really that's a 2v1 situation, there are so many stupid 2v1 combos that's it's not really that worth it to discuss them. Good synergies involve difficult to avoid tactics that work in 2v2 situations, like ZS dsmash GaW bucket, or C4 on MK to uthrow or nado

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Grab releasing to a down smash is too common though.
Guaranteed, but common. I'm looking for something a bit more stylish.

You know what's a cheap combo though, that actually works in 2v2 and not just a 2v1?

Ganondorf Murder Choke -> Pikachu Jab Lock -> Opponent Force Get-Up -> Ganon Fsmash/Warlock Punch.

That doesn't go in this board, but lulz.
It just came to my mind, since it's so fast.

As for ZSS; she's good with just about everyone.

Grab release -> double down smash -> regrab -> grab release -> double down smash -> strongest KO move.

solecalibur

Smash Master
All i was really looking for is if its a good idea because I think its easier to get punished when you miss a grab instead im not really into the flashy stuff yet just to get the job done in doubles

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
I've been figuring out ZSS' many aspects for a while now, almost ready to start playing her. One of the things I haven't been able to figure out: how does a good ZSS edge guard?
In videos I only see Dsmash spam which seems lame and predictable to me (although very good if your opponent isn't careful). What other tactics can a ZSS apply to make her opponent's return harder?
Also, ZSS herself returning. Once you've made it to the edge, how do you get safely back on stage? I've played a friend a while ago and he just shielded everything I did, so I figured I should push him away with a ledgedropped aerial to land on the very tip, then jump. Insta-flipkick leaves you vulnerable from below but can get players who don't expect it. I've also tried just ledge attacking or getting/rolling back on but those had so much afterlag that he could just grab me and throw me back out.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
How much ending lag does ZSS' grab if it doesn't connect? I saw somewhere that said it was 22 frames, but it must be more than that since that's the amount of cooldown frames an average grab has, and ZSS' grab has at least 50% more than that.

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have the frame data on her jab, maybe even the hitstun? Aside from opponents shielding the third hit I've had Snake FTILT the SECOND hit ffs, and I want to know how this is possible, because it may mean it it far worse than I thought.

DUB

Smash Lord
Options OoS against close pressure?

If I can't punish with an aerial OoS then what are some options I can against a badly spaced MK F-air or moves of this sort?

Is it best to Shield Drop F-tilt them away and reset or d-tilt and go for u-airs?

Help me Snakeeeeeeee

Salem

Smash Champion

If I can't punish with an aerial OoS then what are some options I can against a badly spaced MK F-air or moves of this sort?

Is it best to Shield Drop F-tilt them away and reset or d-tilt and go for u-airs?

Help me Snakeeeeeeee
I know i'm not Snakeee (And I better not be...) but you can OOS U-tilt that, but that depends if they short hopped or full hopped.

noradseven

Smash Lord
against oppenents in the air uhhh Shield drop jab, jab true combos on air bound oppenents :D. also PS standing down t-tilt wrecks MKs up B...unless he just blocks instead of trying to attack again like most MKs.

Snakeee

Smash Master

Help me Snakeeeeeeee
I don't use up tilt as much anymore as it's not as reliable as up air and can be punished more with that horrible afterlag (although it still has its uses) I try and powershield all aerials and instant-up air OOS most of the time. Work on your timing to powershield, and you have to be quick to up air fast enough as your short hop begins.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Does anyone have the frame data on her jab, maybe even the hitstun? Aside from opponents shielding the third hit I've had Snake FTILT the SECOND hit ffs, and I want to know how this is possible, because it may mean it it far worse than I thought.
-Jab's frame data-
Part 1:
Hitbox out: 1
Hitlag: 4
Shieldhitlag: 5
Shieldstun: 0
IASA: 18
Cycles: 7
1 Frame Buffer for Part 2 ASA: 8
Part 2 ALA: 30

Part 2:
Hitbox out: 2
Hitlag: 4
Shieldhitlag: 5
IASA: 21
Cycles: 10
1 Frame Buffer for Part 3 ASA: 9
Part 3 ALA: 29

Part 3:
Hitbox out: 3
Hitlag: 5
Shieldhitlag: 6
IASA: 23

I'm pretty sure only the third hit has hitstun, but I'm unable to check right now.

DUB

Smash Lord
I didn't see a critique thread or anything of that sort and didn't want to make a new thread about it sooo... where is a place I can post videos for a critique?

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
While there is a global forum rule against video critique threads we do it on the ZSS boards all the time and Dazwa probably isn't going to delete your thread and/or infract you.

TLDR: just make a thread. It's fine.

Really?

Top Bottom