• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Punctuation: Super Smash Bros. Brawl

japtar10101

Smash Apprentice
Durr...Audio in my computer is dead. Anyways...

Yahtzee's always like that. Well, no, he wasn't like that in the 2nd or 3rd episode, but then noticed people don't like it when they hear him complimenting a game. So now he resorts to sadism on all video games since (granted, he still praises Bioshock, Earthbound, Killer 7, Psychonauts, blah, blah, blah...).

I've yet to listen to this review, but at least I know what to expect.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
I love his stuff and sadly he is right about the game in some ways any one of us who is on this sight or goes to tournies is that guy (and yes im one of them too)

SaberPichu

Smash Cadet
Ah Yahtzee... My boring Wednesdays are never complete with out watching his reviews... I'm actually quite interested in seeing how people react to it...

he is right about the game in some ways any one of us who is on this sight or goes to tournies is that guy
So true...

masterspeaks

Smash Apprentice
His review was pretty fair, single player is a repetitive ordeal. Brawl really doesn't have appeal to people who aren't fans of nintendo or the melee franchise. People who may have been attracted by the chance to play Sonic and Snake probably didn't like having to play through SSE or 450 brawls to unlock them.

AlexX

Smash Ace
I guess since the point of the discussion is to have conflicting reviews, I'll post my opinion since it fights the trend a bit.

I'm not going to bother posting a wall of text, so I'll just shorten my opinion by saying that I think the review was wasted potential. There's so many legitimate points he could have made regarding Brawl's shortcomings, but he instead chose to make points that are either weak or don't make sense (such as the characters being too small, or first complaining that no matter how good you get you'll always lose to some random button-masher, but then going and saying completing single-player makes you "that guy").

taitai

Smash Rookie
He pretty much captures why I've decided to stop playing Smash, period. Even with items off it's a random flailing of smash attacks until someone can pull of a holy mother of a smash and eliminate someone. I came around here to see the reaction to his reviews and I'm quite impressed that instead of yelling for his death like Halo fanboys did when his Halo 3 review dropped, most of the posts here are atleast understanding of the flaws with your drug of choice.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
I guess since the point of the discussion is to have conflicting reviews, I'll post my opinion since it fights the trend a bit.

I'm not going to bother posting a wall of text, so I'll just shorten my opinion by saying that I think the review was wasted potential. There's so many legitimate points he could have made regarding Brawl's shortcomings, but he instead chose to make points that are either weak or don't make sense (such as the characters being too small, or first complaining that no matter how good you get you'll always lose to some random button-masher, but then going and saying completing single-player makes you "that guy").
In other words, it's Yahtzee.

He pretty much captures why I've decided to stop playing Smash, period. Even with items off it's a random flailing of smash attacks until someone can pull of a holy mother of a smash and eliminate someone.
Yahtzee has en excuse to be like that because he's Yahtzee.

You have no excuse to be so stupid.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Finally, I've been waiting for a new Zero Punctuation this week and I've also been waiting for him to review Brawl.

He didn't even mention tripping!

AlexX

Smash Ace
In other words, it's Yahtzee.
Huh? Yahtzee is normally pretty good at pointing out strong points and significant flaws in games. The only problem I have is that he didn't do that here when he could have and made for a very interesting review.

I realized it was pretty much a forced review, but it really shows...

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
Huh? Yahtzee is normally pretty good at pointing out strong points and significant flaws in games. The only problem I have is that he didn't do that here when he could have and made for a very interesting review.

Huh... you're right, actually. Didn't get much positive reaction. I'm guessing it was mostly just because he didn't really care for it to begin with and didn't want to review it.

SynikaL

Smash Lord

Obviously, your insight regarding the game is much greater than his due to the fact that you frequent Smashboards. Thus, it logically follows you'd have stronger issues to discuss regarding Brawl than Yahtzee. Try employing a little perspective. He's clearly uninformed about many aspects of Brawl, like most casual players, and his review reflects it. This review is not for us ("That Guy").

It was a good review, nonetheless. Just a bit ignorant, and that's to be expected given the quality ofmy perspective regarding Brawl.

-Kye

Smash Rookie
Obviously, your insight regarding the game is much greater than his due to the fact that you frequent Smashboards. Thus, it logically follows you'd have stronger issues to discuss regarding Brawl than Yahtzee. Try employing a little perspective. He's clearly uninformed about many aspects of Brawl, like most casual players, and his review reflects it. This review is not for us ("That Guy").

It was a good review, nonetheless. Just a bit ignorant, and that's to be expected given the quality ofmy perspective regarding Brawl.

-Kye
Agreed. And he also stated that you could not become "that guy" in Brawl because he believes it is just random button smashing. Don't see how anyone can use that in an argument against him.

AlexX

Smash Ace
My friends play a lot more casually than I do, and their complaints show the differences between someone at our level and someone at Yahtzee's (for example, they mostly hate the fact that Ike kills at relatively low %'s while I hate camping with Pit or Samus's projectiles from afar, and while I complain about Final Destiantion being boring, they hate stages like Port Town Aero Drive... I think the only thing we agree on is that making custom stages is awesome). I was mostly comparing his opinion to theirs, rather than to mine.

Huh... you're right, actually. Didn't get much positive reaction. I'm guessing it was mostly just because he didn't really care for it to begin with and didn't want to review it.
It seems that whenever Yahtzee reviews a game that either A. is forced, B. is of a genre he doesn't care for, or C. both, it can really show...

EDIT:
Agreed. And he also stated that you could not become "that guy" in Brawl because he believes it is just random button smashing. Don't see how anyone can use that in an argument against him.
My point was that Yahtzee contradicted himself with that. He first states that it's pointless to try and get good because anyone who button-mashes will inevitably be able to beat you, but then goes and states that if you play single-player to unlock everyone you become "that guy" and have to play other people like you to get any sort of challenge.

It can't be both, thus, contradiction.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I love Zero Punctuation reviews as well but I feel this particular one was tainted by Yahtzee's annoyance at people pestering him for it. He picked some pretty trivial stuff to harp on and basically invalidated his own argument.

But I still liked this review, if only because I once made a post on these forums about how annoying it was to unlock things in Melee and got flamed for it. So I guess this is a sort of vindication for me.

SynikaL

Smash Lord
I thought we made it clear the review is laced with ignorance? What are you trying to prove, here? Pick a more fruitful battle.

-Kye

Smash Rookie
EDIT:My point was that Yahtzee contradicted himself with that. He first states that it's pointless to try and get good because anyone who button-mashes will inevitably be able to beat you, but then goes and states that if you play single-player to unlock everyone you become "that guy" and have to play other people like you to get any sort of challenge.

It can't be both, thus, contradiction.
Both what? Just because he's see both as being a negative makes it wrong? There doesn't always have to a bright side to a choice.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Best moment was the mention of Mother 3 and its lack of availability outside Japan. Nintendo fans would buy the game like it was Mario Kart Wii. Earthbound fans want Mother 3 the way a virgin straight out of one of those high school/college movies (Porky's, American Pie) wants to pop their cherry. The build-up is high.

Turbowombat

Smash Rookie
That was so epic. I'm totally "that guy".

:laugh:
You're on smash boards man, we're all "that guy" relative to Yahtzee. Someone made a comparison to the Halo boards vs. Yahtzee early on. To reference an earlier Yahtzee "The wii only knows like 3 or four songs and the Xbox 360 frequently comes onto the stage drunk." Nintendo Fanboys > Halo Junkies

No complaints about the review save for the part on button mashing. He's ignorant of the deeper gameplay, but any fan of the game will realize that and thus take his review with a grain of salt.

AlexX

Smash Ace
Both what? Just because he's see both as being a negative makes it wrong? There doesn't always have to a bright side to a choice.
What are you talking about?

It can't be both because if random button mashers can beat you regardless of experience, you wouldn't have to seek out others to get a challenge since the aforementioned button-mashers would still have a good chance against you (and thus, you cannot become "that guy").

Smash Rookie
What are you talking about?

It can't be both because if random button mashers can beat you regardless of experience, you wouldn't have to seek out others to get a challenge since the aforementioned button-mashers would still have a good chance against you (and thus, you cannot become "that guy").
You're not stating your view clear. I'm still confused about your whole argument.

Please quote where he said the game was both? He went on to say that it COULD NOT happen in Brawl. The first part you stated holds true for Brawl. The 2nd part however, he said is not the case with Brawl. He did not say all fighting games were this way. Therefore, I see no contradiction.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Yatzee is a troll. Simply put. He does this for all games. You have to take what he sees with a grain of salt (a big one too).

My problem with THIS one is two fold 1)He was biased coming in. It was obviously going to suck becuase you thought it was and didn't care. Self fafilling(spelling?) prophecy. 2)None of it was really related. Normally he makes good points to why it sucks. This time, it was straight opinions and it was obvious it was just him rather then a general flaw.

Top Bottom