• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zenith 2014 Results - Project M, Melee

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Zenith 2014, one of the staples of the Apex brand, once again brought some of the highest attention toward a late summer Smash tournament. Streamed by Clash Tournaments, Zenith saw a number of interesting story lines. This was the first major tournament this summer that Mew2King entered without the EMP tag, possibly indicating that he has dropped EMP as a sponsor in favor of new avenues and strong representation. That said, this isn't the final word - it could simply be an omission from the TO.

UPDATE: the livestream included the full "P4K EMP" tag and EMP were tweeting his results - this indicates the sponsorship is in tact.

Zhu upsets Axe in a chance to win a major tournament

In addition, the tournament featured only 1 of the 5 Super Smash Brothers Melee "Gods" in Mew2King. This gave several players a chance to get a strong win at a major event - in particular Axe, Hax, and Zhu all had a chance to break through. Hax came the closest, losing Winners Finals 3-2 to Mew2King, including a Game 5 with Captain Falcon. Hax brought things back by beating Zhu in Losers Finals and reseting the bracket with Mew2King, but it was not enough. During grand finals, the livestream peaked at just over 17,000 concurrent viewers. Below are the top placement results.

Super Smash Brothers Melee Singles
View Zenith Smash Melee Bracket
1. P4K | Mew2King (Marth)
2. VGBC | Hax (Fox)
3. Zhu (Falco)
4. MOR | Axe (Pikachu)
5. APEX | Nintendude
5. CT | Wizzrobe
7. CT | Zero (Fox)
7. CTRL | The Moon (Marth)
9. Fly Amanita (Ice Climbers
9. GK | Reno
9. Phish-it
9. Swedish Delight
13. Animal
13. Cactuar
13. Swiftbass
13. Zanguzen
17. Ben Grimm
17. CTRL | DJ Nintendo
17. Emu Killer
17. GK | Gahtzu
17. Icer
17. Sol
17. Warrior Knight
17. Zoso
25. APEX | Ryobeat
25. Beta
25. Bones
25. Codi
25. Dudutsai
25. Ryan-K
25. Thx
25. Vist

Super Smash Brothers Melee Doubles
View Zenith Melee Doubles Bracket
1. P4K | Mew2King & VGBC | Hax
2. CT | Zero & MOR | Axe
3. Zhu & Cactuar
4. Zanguzen & Jsex

Project M Singles
View Zenith Project M Bracket
1. CT | Zero
2. Junebug
3. Emukiller
4. P4K | Mew2King
5. FS | Gallo
5. NinjaLink
7. FS | Frozen
7. VGZ | Seagull Joe
9. CT | Wizzrobe
9. Pink Fresh
9. Rolex
9. Wolf
13. CTRL | DJ Nintendo
13. FS | Gurukid
13. HBA | Shiny Zubat
13. Xzax
17. APEX | Smokey
17. DA | Jtails
17. DA | Wes
17. DarkTooth
17. Es Jreed
17. JohnNumbers
17. Raptor
17. Stereo_Kidd
25. Cruz Control
25. FS | Eli
25. Kaeon
25. Poob
25. Reslived
25. Sol
25. VGBC | GIMR
25. VGZ | Crescent Monkey

Super Smash Brothers 64 Singles
View Zenith Smash 64 Bracket
1. SuPeRbOoMfAn
2. Koroshiyo | KeroKeroppi
3. CT | Wizzrobe
4. The Z
5. APEX | Nintendude
5. Killer
7. Fireblaster
7. Koroshiyo | Stranded

Super Smash Brothers Brawl Singles
View Zenith Brawl Bracket
1. Vinnie
2. NME | Xzax
3. Viva
4. LoF | False
5. Jtails
5. Waldo
7. Penta
7. ThunderStorm

Last edited by a moderator:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Of course M2K would wi-

Wait whaddya mean he did it without Mewtwo? O_o

ZackTheGreat

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZackTheGreat
3DS FC
4227-2410-9609
Axe placed pretty well this tourney, still being my hero. <3 Congrats to all the top players.

D

Deleted member

Whaaaa? When did Wizzrobe get a sponsorship? Geez, I guess he showed his skill to the right people.

I really hope young players like him and me become conquer the scene. Also, Zenith, good stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
M2K's falcon punch on Zero was god status! So hype :3

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Great, I came just short enough of being included in Brawl results >_>

Oh well. M2K was hella fun to watch in grand finals.

:093:

Osennecho

Smash Ace
Xzax posted to FB saying he got 2nd in brawl. I guess that means Vinnie got first.
Also, shout outs to Zero's losers PM run and to getting falcon punched

Last edited:

Sen. Sawft

Professional Laundry Folder
NNID
Sawft
3DS FC
4940-6793-4197
M2KWinsLol
But really, great showing by everyone involved. The whole "M2K without EMP tag" thing does seem interesting, though.

The Soap

Smash Apprentice
Hax would've won the tournament if he didn't go Falcon in game 5 of winner's finals

He needs to either keep playing Fox or go back to Falcon, he can't keep making these random switches

Twilight Emblem

Banned via Warnings
My take on it is that hax didn't have the tournament.

Early on m2k was missing chaingrabs consistently and throwing out dairs too early/not punishing as well as he normally does etc and hax was playing on a whole different level so it made it look more one sided than it was. Then later hax started losing the quality of play he began the set with through choking/hard upkeep of that level of play while m2k got better during the match so that made m2ks comeback a little bit bigger. Hax and m2k elaborated on this some in interview.

I do believe that this performance was our first glimpse at hax showing the true capacity to be a top 5 player. If hax can get even a little better with fox than what we've seen here and keep that level of play consistent we've got a new top 5 player I think. Very proud of you hax.

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Project M was the only one I watched. And it moved me how CT ZeRo and M2King were actually having fun in their matches. True spirit of Smash Bros. and friendship.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Was at this tournament, had a ridiculously fun time.
PM took a bit too long. 64/melee were both amazing.
Great venue.

Kudos to Alex Strife.

But the most important question of all. Was Dylan Sprouse any good?
his commentary was pretty good.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
You guys forgot about the triple reflect between the shadow ball. Emukiller vs CT Zero. That was so hype as well. Highlight reels everywhere.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Anyone noticed how everybody was dead silent when Zero won GF against Junebug for Project M? Only the commentators were giving him a golf clap to try and make it less awkward. xD The aftermath was dead silent; not that I can blame them. Not really a Zero fan considering how he abuses certain aspects of Pit.

Arrow (Kyle)

Smash Apprentice
Well, to be fair the majority of people were watching the GFs on the projector showing the stream and it was lagging a bit so the reaction to the win was a bit delayed. But the majority of the people at the stream were people who wanted to see June win so no huge eruption.

Estwood

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3609-2019-2185
In Melee singles, I have to credit both players for playing amazingly. Hax, I think, is the most technical fox at this moment. Somehow he beat M2K on FD, which like if paper beats scissors. Even reseting the bracket alone is exceptional. But we all know M2K's Marth . . . . :marthmelee:

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Good showing for Smashing grounds securing a top 10 and 3 overall in the top 32 :D. We are getting on the map.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Man, that Falcon Punch was beautiful. GG M2K, right there.

I hope Clash uploads some of the Melee matches later on, to Youtube.

TreK

Is "that guy"
The PM bracket looks soooo stacked

How many entrants for each event exactly ?

Killabyte

Smash Rookie
I hope this tournament's name is dedicated to the good old SD CRT TV company, Zenith. They had 90s gameshow proizes everywhere. I've played plenty of Smash 64 on Zeniths.

Also, Mew2King's Falcon Punch just taught my two year old cousin how to read perfectly, without error.

Dad'sHome

Smash Cadet
Hax$ is truly the most technical Fox at this point. Did you guys see that Nair->double-shine->Nair->double-shine on Zhu...one more hit and he would've broken Zhu's shield.

IMO, if he can consistently play like he did against M2K (I'm talking about those sets where Hax was on fire), then I don't see him losing to H-Box.

Ey yo Hax, that Top 5 position is now undoubtedly within your reach. Keep on pushing that Fox towards 20XX!

Top Bottom