• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZENITH 2014 - Aug 2-3 - Brooklyn, NY

Maliki

Smash Ace
Actually the rule is whoever gets to the blue hat first wins the set. Maybe the tournament.

Ceasar

Banned via Warnings
Will the brackets for pools be posted online prior to Zenith, or will we find out who we have to play once we get there?

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
It's just "pools", Ceasar. You saying "brackets" for pools implies "bracket pools" which is the most evil thing in smash existence.

Ceasar

Banned via Warnings
It's just "pools", Ceasar. You saying "brackets" for pools implies "bracket pools" which is the most evil thing in smash existence.
Haha, don't worry, my intention was not to imply bracket pools, but little did I know of your deep hatred for bracket pools. I suppose I'll take note of that for future reference, then.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Hey does anyone who's doing commentary at this (I think jimmyjoe and clubba and cobr and fireblaster expressed interest? Greginator maybe? maybe a couple other peeps too) want to run a couple practice matches over skype? Just in case we end up paired on stream at some point and for practice.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
jimmyjoe's got 2nd day only if he comes, i say we just wing it and let personalities CLASH AND DEVELOP LIVE

i don't know if greg is even coming, that miami life is hardcore

don't sweat it battlecattle

Battlecow

Play to Win
OK that's fine

but the offer stands for any of you non-jimmy/greg/cobr people, I think it could be really useful.

Last edited:

Sangoku

Smash Master
If you guys do a practice commentary, on what would it be? Might be cool to have someone stream matches and you commentate. Or was the whole point to be offline training?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Hype!
Gonna be watching this with some popcorn!
Goo clubba ! =D
In the middle of a tough set when all looks lost, I'll remember that Banze is rooting for me from Brazil, and it will give me the strength of a thousand DK's. I will not let you down.

Battlecow

Play to Win
If you guys do a practice commentary, on what would it be? Might be cool to have someone stream matches and you commentate. Or was the whole point to be offline training?
The format I had in mind was to mute a couple of matches from (for example) last zenith and talk about them as if they were occurring at this, so that we could get our approach to player/community stuff organized as well as our actual game observation tendencies. I wouldn't want to do enough of that to kill the spontaneity of the actual event, of course, and that might be a bad idea in general--commentating (relatively high level) streamed stuff sounds like an equally good idea.

Really I just want to make sure that we have some sort of preparation so that when we start talking in front of all those viewers it's not for the first time and there's no adjustment period. Last apex I loved how me and nintendude worked together but if we had been a little more used to each other's styles and a little more used to commentary in general it could've been even smoother for sure; it took a match or two for us to really settle into roles.

Last edited:

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
I rewatched all the Apex 2014 videos recently and one of the thing that I found irritating about some of the commentary was that commentators would not be focused on the action at hand. Instead, they would go off on tangents about the matchup, playstyles, technical knowledge, etc. Commentating a fast paced game like SSB requires more play-by-play, and saves analysis for the moments between stocks, games and sets. In something like a Falcon dittos you can easily miss entire stocks if you start talking about a playstyle or DI techniques or whatever.

Anyway just my two cents. I won't be at Zenith but excited to see all the videos.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
someone please ban han solo from cyberbullying me

he's been mean to me for so long now.. i can only take so much harassment

i thought smashboards was supposed to be a safe place :(

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
I actually think Kero is not bad at all at commentating (Zenith 2013). If he can commentate like a normal person, he can do a good job.

but yeah, echoing what greginator said, matchup details, playstyles, tournament history should be info left for in between matches (or during any wizzrobe set). Nothing wrong with spending 3-5 seconds praising someone's specific playstyle, but play by play is better. imo Battlecow/Nintendude at Apex 2013 has been the best combo so far (sans Isai bias) because they were really balanced. Nintendude would always provide specific info to expand on the match up (ledge DI, recoveries), but wouldn't spend much time on it. At the same time, Battlecow responded to play by play stuff very quickly without tripping on his own words.

***Even though he doesn't know much about the game, I LOVED this kinda thing from dogysamich at Apex 2012 (starting at 5:45, the whole commentary during the first stock of game 2): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxmW1KkMDj8

I swear his play-by-play commentating is god tier.

Ceasar

Banned via Warnings
It seems the registration deadline has been pushed for tomorrow. From Alex Stifre, "Venue will be $15 Until July 15. After that the venue will be $20. Registration will close July 27 12am EST with brackets up July 29" (http://smashboards.com/threads/aug-2-2014-zenith-2014-melee-pm-64-register-here-brooklyn-ny.350467/). So, if there are still people who have yet to register, but would like to (*cough*Star King*cough*), there is still some time left.

If you knew this already, then disregard this post and throw yourself into a bowl of hot sauce.

Top Bottom