• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda's model yay or nay?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Dunno, I feel her A Link to the Past outfit is kind of more detailed than her Twilight Princess one.
Of course, the Twilight Princess one is not the only one detailled.

But the markings on the gloves, on the purple part and at the bottom of the dress, the jewels, the details in the hair (how it's tied, in front and behind), the part with the triforce and royal crest (in front of the dress, don't know how this is called), even the earrings, that are said to have hylian on it.
Also, I like the boots :troll: Really.

But it's all those details that makes this Zelda unique and classy.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Are people still trying to convince people it's SS it's clearly TP get over it. Speaking of her design I think she looks gourgeous, I really like the bown hair on Zelda we already have enough blonde girls in smash. Now just palutena

(I still hate her boots, they look dumb with a dress)

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
SSB4_-_Zelda_Screen-27.png
Heres a Diagram of all the Zeldas....since most people don't seem to know the variations.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
View attachment 7833 Heres a Diagram of all the Zeldas....since most people don't seem to know the variations.
Don't worry, we know the different Zeldas (I don't really see why you say that).

By the way, TP Zelda is still the most beautiful of them to me. They all are (well, maybe not you, NES Zelda :troll:), but I love the details I mentionned earlier for the TP Zelda.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I had never seen her 4 swords artwork before. Wow.

Zelda never had a consistent look throughout the series... unlike Link. The OoT and Oracle designs look similar, and Toon Zelda has been the same. And TP Zelda is iconic too because of her continued appearance in Smash.

I'd really love to see all of them as alternate costumes. I wish....

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, there's some consistency. As you can see, Oracles is basically OoT with a different artstyle (with differents shoulders), Spirit Tracks is same as WW, and ALBW takes from ALTTP.
Also, Four Swords borrows elements from Oracles and TP share some similarities from OoT, despite being somewhat new (mainly the hair that give this uniqueness).

Edit: I should read the messages more carefully, I basically said again what you just said. Sorry :facepalm:

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
I remember dreading they would use her SS design in Smash.4, to the point it kept me up at night because of how bad (I personally think) it is. I do not like SS design at all. I look at her, and my instant reaction is 'That's a rejected Naruto character design that Nintendo must have found in a trash bin somewhere in japan, and decided to use'. Seriously just slap a head band from one of the ninja villages on to her SS design, with the Triforce on the metal part of the band, and it would fit just fine.

I also disliked how they went from giving Zelda a new color scheme (Brunet, with white and purple outfit) to the blatant "Blond Haired, Blue Eyed, Pretty Princess in Pink' look they had used constantly before TP. That's the color scheme and theme they use for Peach, they dont need two of their main franchise characters using the same color scheme like that. Zelda as a brunet, with the white gown and purple top, is just one of her more unique designs. The only other design of hers I like is her LTTP design, and that's only because the blue gown is still a nice get away from her usual pink dress shes always seen in.

I know most people are arguing that the reason they went with her TP design, instead of her SS design, is because of her personalities from said games, and I agree with those a fore mentioned statements wholeheartedly. But I just find her SS design to be ugly as ****, and I'm tired of her being tossed into the same personality/design niche as Peach. Her TP design is the only truly unique one for me, the rest of them are all pretty much the same, in terms of how they represent her and her personality.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I also disliked how they went from giving Zelda a new color scheme (Brunet, with white and purple outfit) to the blatant "Blond Haired, Blue Eyed, Pretty Princess in Pink' look they had used constantly before TP. That's the color scheme and theme they use for Peach, they dont need two of their main franchise characters using the same color scheme like that. Zelda as a brunet, with the white gown and purple top, is just one of her more unique designs. The only other design of hers I like is her LTTP design, and that's only because the blue gown is still a nice get away from her usual pink dress shes always seen in.
Wait, i'm not sure to understand. You like the TP design or not? I may have missed something here ^^'

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
I LOVE her TP design, it is my absolute favorite of all her designs, as it is the most unique as it is one of the few designs to lose the 'Pretty Princess in Pink' cliche that is shared with Peach, while at the same time it is the one of the very few designs she has where she isnt under the "Pretty Blond Haired, Blue Eyed" cliche, that Peach is also known for.

It is her only truly unique design, and that is why I'm happy Nintendo continues to use it to represent her in the Smash series.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Ok, that's what I thought. So when you say this:
"I also disliked how they went from giving Zelda a new color scheme (Brunet, with white and purple outfit) to the blatant "Blond Haired, Blue Eyed, Pretty Princess in Pink'"
You mean from TP to others games. That what I missed.

And I agree with you! Since Ocarina of Time at least, Zelda is not the typical damsel in distress. Sure, there's always a moment where you have to go save her, but in OoT/WW/TP/SS, it happens for a short time in fact. SP is a special case.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To be fair, most of those times where Zelda's kidnapping gets delayed are usually prevented for her because someone is assisting her from getting kidnapped (usually by Impa or the King of Hyrule) though sooner or later she still gets kidnapped anyway. Whereas Peach doesn't really have this benefit, especially since the Toads themselves are pretty wimpy to prevent her from getting kidnapped, so she's more or less on her own in this regard.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
To be fair, most of those times where Zelda's kidnapping gets delayed are usually prevented for her because someone is assisting her from getting kidnapped (usually by Impa or the King of Hyrule) though sooner or later she still gets kidnapped anyway. Whereas Peach doesn't really have this benefit, especially since the Toads themselves are pretty wimpy to prevent her from getting kidnapped, so she's more or less on her own in this regard.
Well, it's true. But your quest is not "save Zelda" in those games. In OoT, you have to save the world, in WW, it's saving your little sister/Defeating Ganondorf, in TP it's saving Hyrule from Zant and SS... Well at first it's playing Carmen Sandiego, with Zelda :troll: You happen to save her in the end, but she is not the damsel in distress that simply await you in a dark dungeon in a cage right behind the bad guy.

Of course, the other games, like Phantom Hourglass or A Link Between Worlds (to mention recent ones) have the "Save the girl" goal.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, it's true. But your quest is not "save Zelda" in those games. In OoT, you have to save the world, in WW, it's saving your little sister/Defeating Ganondorf, in TP it's saving Hyrule from Zant and SS... Well at first it's playing Carmen Sandiego, with Zelda :troll: You happen to save her in the end, but she is not the damsel in distress that simply await you in a dark dungeon in a cage right behind the bad guy.

Of course, the other games, like Phantom Hourglass or A Link Between Worlds (to mention recent ones) have the "Save the girl" goal.
Well yeah but that's a whole different debate. I was talking more about why Zelda sometimes gets the slip from the main villain in the games whereas Peach isn't usually as lucky. (However she does get some assistance herself too sometimes such as in Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga)

Unless you're just counting the Platformers then yeah...

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Toadsworth once said that "Peach gets kidnapped, on average, every week" (can't remember which game atm).

Also this

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
Peach is mainly a trophy, she is just an objective.
Zelda is an actual fleshed out character.
I mean in the 30+ years since the Mario series has been around, and all we know about Peach is that she likes to bake cakes.
Zelda at least has some substance to her character. So they're not really comparable.
That's why Rosalina vs Zelda is a much more popular debate, mainly because the two characters are much more relatable. Plus, Rosalina is a huge rip off of Zelda's Character.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I like the design, but I'm hoping for her blonde alternate costume to be similar to her ALTTP design, but with ALBW's darker hair color:

Unfortunately, I expect the SS design before this.

Also, Hilda, please.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Personally i prefer Twilight Princess Zelda, i think that it looks better than blond Zelda.
Though im a little dissapointed that SSB4 didnt used much of Skyward sword...

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
Peach is mainly a trophy, she is just an objective.
Zelda is an actual fleshed out character.
I mean in the 30+ years since the Mario series has been around, and all we know about Peach is that she likes to bake cakes.
Zelda at least has some substance to her character. So they're not really comparable.
That's why Rosalina vs Zelda is a much more popular debate, mainly because the two characters are much more relatable. Plus, Rosalina is a huge rip off of Zelda's Character.
So Rosalina....who is basically the Goddess of the Cosmos, watches over an entire race of Lumas, pilots the Comet Observatory, and does not get regularly kidnapped....is a ripoff of Zelda?

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
So Rosalina....who is basically the Goddess of the Cosmos, watches over an entire race of Lumas, pilots the Comet Observatory, and does not get regularly kidnapped....is a ripoff of Zelda?
Yes, the whole solemn princess thing is a pretty big rip off from Zelda's character. Even the way you meet Rosalina in Super Mario Galaxy draws a lot of parallels to the way you interact with Zelda in Twilight Princess.

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Yes, the whole solemn princess thing is a pretty big rip off from Zelda's character. Even the way you meet Rosalina
in Super Mario Galaxy draws a lot of parallels to the way you meet Zelda in Twilight Princess.
Yeah remember how mario had to go through the castle in the twilight dimension as a wolf with a twilight princess imp thing to meet rosalina

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I was hoping for the SS version of her before she was revealed and admittedly wasmore than a little miffed it was TP Zelda again, but I've come to really like her look this go around.

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
Two of my biggest concerns with Smash 4 was that they weren't going to use the amazing Twilight Princess design and that Zelda will once a gain be bogged down by Sheik. I must say I made out like a bandit this time around. Zelda and Sheik are separated like I wanted, and they are using the design I absolutely love. Now all they need to do is give Zelda a decent buff and they'll be three for three!

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Two of my biggest concerns with Smash 4 was that they weren't going to use the amazing Twilight Princess design and that Zelda will once a gain be bogged down by Sheik. I must say I made out like a bandit this time around. Zelda and Sheik are separated like I wanted, and they are using the design I absolutely love. Now all they need to do is give Zelda a decent buff and they'll be three for three!
If you look at the clips of zelda in the direct it really seems like they have, farores wind seems to be faster, she seems faster overall and we already know of the din's fire buff

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
I think Twilight Princess Zelda is just becoming too generic. It's become Zelda's default look….It's just so boring looking at the same design from 2006. Just a lame rehash of Brawls models. This is very disappointing.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I think Twilight Princess Zelda is just becoming too generic. It's become Zelda's default look….It's just so boring looking at the same design from 2006. Just a lame rehash of Brawls models. This is very disappointing.
Think of it this way, you know how before 2006 the OoT design was just THE design for the characters, now it's TP until the next game with Link, Zelda and Ganondorf in it

Last edited:

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
Think of it this way, you know how before 2006 the OoT design was just THE design for the characters, now it's TP until the next game with Link, Zelda and Ganondorf in it
ALBW? Plus this is the second time they've used TP designs. If they made a TP version of Sheik then they shouldn't have too large of an issue creating a Skyward Sword style Ganondorf.

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
ALBW? Plus this is the second time they've used TP designs. If they made a TP version of Sheik then they shouldn't have to large of an issue creating a Skyward Sword style Ganondorf.
ALBW is ganon and young link and zelda, It wouldn't really work
They also used the OoT designs twice in 64 and melee
But that sheik was based on concept art from TP so it at least came from somewhere plus we've never really seen sakurai come up with his own design for a character

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
plus we've never really seen sakurai come up with his own design for a character
Well, he just did with Zero Suit Samus. It's not a major change, but it's unique to Smash Bros.
There's also Peach's dress taht is always more detailed in SSB than in Mario games.

But I see your point, he never creat totally new looks.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Well, he just did with Zero Suit Samus. It's not a major change, but it's unique to Smash Bros.
There's also Peach's dress taht is always more detailed in SSB than in Mario games.

But I see your point, he never creat totally new looks.
As you said peach's dress is just slightly more deatailed and with zero suit samus, it's other m samus, just slightly altered to be shinier and have jet boots and bracelet things, speaking of those they remind of of sabrina from pokemon

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Sakurai did create a new design for Pit, though.

Link, Zelda and Sheik are still in their TP looks, because TP was the last game to have an adult Link, an adult Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf in the same game. (Though Sheik wasn't actually in TP, she was still designed for that game anyway.)

Sakurai is aiming for a consistent art style for the Zelda series characters, Toon Link aside. Even if the characters weren't, the Heart Container was updated to the Skyward Sword look. Plus, the Fairy Bottle has its design taken from Skyward Sword, same for the Gust Bellows, and then there's the Skyloft stage and the Beetle item, so it's not like Skyward Sword is being ignored.

Personally, I think the Zelda series is actually quite balanced when it comes to representation, as you've got items and ATs spanning older and newer games.

Top Bottom