• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Video Discussion

4tlas

Smash Lord
Here's a set I had against ES Deff on Saturday. I go relatively even with his Yoshi, but I get absolutely destroyed by his Bowser in game 3.

By the way, sorry about the potato quality video (I didn't record it). It's sadly almost unwatchable in parts due to skipped frames, but I'm hoping for advice nonetheless, since this is my first recorded set against a notable player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex5sVQZbptM
I, uh, literally can't watch that. Like, there are so few frames both of you are just teleporting around a bunch. I have to use the sound to try and guess at what's happening. I'm sorry =(

If you can link me to a watchable part, I'd be happy to look at it.

Vitriform

Smash Apprentice
I, uh, literally can't watch that. Like, there are so few frames both of you are just teleporting around a bunch. I have to use the sound to try and guess at what's happening. I'm sorry =(

If you can link me to a watchable part, I'd be happy to look at it.
Yeah, I know, the quality is abysmal, but there's not much I can do about that. I was trying to make sense of it myself and having great difficulty. I'll see what I can do in terms of finding a watchable segment.

ZGE

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
Going off only the first game. The commentary was like buttered autism though.

So there's a few stray Dins that you got punished for, and some bad recoveries. Remember you can shorten to mix up your recovery, and throw a din directly between you and the opponent to make them respect it. Also, up throw is usually a better throw, depending if you can read their DI. If they DI in, down throw can usually regrab on some characters. Not MK though, probably irrelevant here. Against MK, upthrow/dthrow at low percents, bthrow/dthrow at mid, bthrow at high percents. Spacing is key in Zelda, so always make sure to watch your distance. It's a bit hard to fade in/out of MK's range, so it's nice to stay right outside, and wait for commitment. Either let your nair's finish in the air, ledge cancel, or lcancel grab. He also has low downwards priority, so take advantage of that. Also, in tight situations, dsmash. Frame 4 > frame 9? jab. I like to Nayru's Love to edgeguard MK, since it can trade. But if you're better than me, dair, since the hitbox isn't disjointed above him. Try putting fair WL dsmash into your training, it's a stylish form of shield pressure.

Vitriform

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7ub3ocsJaU

Here's a tournament set I had a few weeks ago against Badangadang (or as you may know him, /u/orangegluon on Reddit, one of the guys who writes for Mind over Meta). He has quite a few little characters which he plays at a reasonably competent level, and he decided to go Squirtle against me in this set.

I don't feel like I played very well here, which is why I'm looking for feedback. Some obvious mistakes (from what I can observe) are overuse of Nayru in neutral, especially in the first game (I swear I don't do this most of the time; again, I didn't play well), generally bad option selection (I'm not really sure what my best options are in this matchup. I think Dsmash and Nayru are good for getting him off of me, but I have trouble starting good combos against Squirtle because his speed and tiny hurtbox make him so hard to grab/Ftilt/Usmash) and poor handling of Squirtle's shield crossups (any advice for what to do against this, especially tips for defending against side-B and crossup Nairs, would be welcome. My usual pressure relief options of Usmash OoS and up-B OoS didn't seem to be working very well, and his quickness and low endlag on his moves makes it difficult to properly space Bair OoS). I have similar difficulty dealing with shield pressure/crossups against other small characters like the PK boys, Kirby, and Pikachu. Oh, and the grab at 3:43 was an input error; I was trying to Utilt (although I have no idea how I managed to screw up Utilt in quite that way).

I know the matchup's one of Zelda's worst, but I can't in good conscience blame my loss on just the matchup. There must be something I can do to improve my performance here. The hope is that I can take what I learn about playing against Squirtle and apply it to other matchups involving characters with small hurtboxes or good shield crossup options.

4tlas

Smash Lord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7ub3ocsJaU

Here's a tournament set I had a few weeks ago against Badangadang (or as you may know him, /u/orangegluon on Reddit, one of the guys who writes for Mind over Meta). He has quite a few little characters which he plays at a reasonably competent level, and he decided to go Squirtle against me in this set.

I don't feel like I played very well here, which is why I'm looking for feedback. Some obvious mistakes (from what I can observe) are overuse of Nayru in neutral, especially in the first game (I swear I don't do this most of the time; again, I didn't play well), generally bad option selection (I'm not really sure what my best options are in this matchup. I think Dsmash and Nayru are good for getting him off of me, but I have trouble starting good combos against Squirtle because his speed and tiny hurtbox make him so hard to grab/Ftilt/Usmash) and poor handling of Squirtle's shield crossups (any advice for what to do against this, especially tips for defending against side-B and crossup Nairs, would be welcome. My usual pressure relief options of Usmash OoS and up-B OoS didn't seem to be working very well, and his quickness and low endlag on his moves makes it difficult to properly space Bair OoS). I have similar difficulty dealing with shield pressure/crossups against other small characters like the PK boys, Kirby, and Pikachu. Oh, and the grab at 3:43 was an input error; I was trying to Utilt (although I have no idea how I managed to screw up Utilt in quite that way).

I know the matchup's one of Zelda's worst, but I can't in good conscience blame my loss on just the matchup. There must be something I can do to improve my performance here. The hope is that I can take what I learn about playing against Squirtle and apply it to other matchups involving characters with small hurtboxes or good shield crossup options.

I can't say I'm an expert on this matchup since I rarely get to play good Squirtles. The only top Squirtle main in my region co-mains Lucas, and every time I've played him he's gone Lucas (idk why).

Fast characters with quick moves have the luxury of waiting for you to pick an option and then arriving afterward to punish, so it is difficult to go aggressive against them. However, they still have to commit when approaching you, whether through using aerial momentum to propel themselves at you, taking to the air to come in with an L-cancelled aerial, running at you and thus not having fsmash, dsmash, less risky standing grab, ftilts or uptilts, or quick jabs, or finally wavedashing at you which leaves windows of vulnerability during the initial performance of the wavedash. Since Squirtle cannot outcamp you, your job is to wait for him to approach then just barely outmaneuver him so he isn't crossing up your shield, baiting you, or smacking you out of the air.

Stay on the ground more and don't move so much, but don't sit in shield either. Keep your options open as much as possible at all times. Don't pick laggy moves (upsmash, uptilt, fsmash, Nayrus) if possible unless you are SURE he will be hit, and try to pick options that outrange him with disjoint (LK, jab, ftilt, upair). You can't CC much because even the CCable moves will lead into other moves before you can get out a dsmash due to hitstun or crossup.

I would strongly recommend you to relax your play a little. The first thing that struck me immediately upon seeing you play was that you were CONSTANTLY doing something, anything. This means you were always committing to another option, and so the Squirtle player just waited a beat and then committed during the opportunity. Much like with Jazz, the moves you don't take are more important than the ones you do. I know against a fast character you need to be fast, but you shouldn't be rhythmic. Occasionally, picking nothing is an amazing mindgame. And no, I'm not just talking about empty hop or dashdance (which are also good picks sometimes), I mean literally nothing. There was one part where you just crouched and waited for him to come to you, and except for the fact that you never did anything at all that was perfect. What you needed to do there was at the last second dtilt once you saw the sideB, since sideB is negatively disjointed.

Don't challenge him at the ledge so much. The right idea (and I saw you do it on FoD) is to place a Dins on him mid-upB (or before he gets that far, if possible) and just rack up percent so that next time you'll get an outright kill.

I would say this is her worst matchup, but I like playing it more than I like playing vs. Fox. Frame 1 moves piss me off and you have to approach him because of blaster ew lol

Vitriform

Smash Apprentice
I can't say I'm an expert on this matchup since I rarely get to play good Squirtles. The only top Squirtle main in my region co-mains Lucas, and every time I've played him he's gone Lucas (idk why).

Fast characters with quick moves have the luxury of waiting for you to pick an option and then arriving afterward to punish, so it is difficult to go aggressive against them. However, they still have to commit when approaching you, whether through using aerial momentum to propel themselves at you, taking to the air to come in with an L-cancelled aerial, running at you and thus not having fsmash, dsmash, less risky standing grab, ftilts or uptilts, or quick jabs, or finally wavedashing at you which leaves windows of vulnerability during the initial performance of the wavedash. Since Squirtle cannot outcamp you, your job is to wait for him to approach then just barely outmaneuver him so he isn't crossing up your shield, baiting you, or smacking you out of the air.

Stay on the ground more and don't move so much, but don't sit in shield either. Keep your options open as much as possible at all times. Don't pick laggy moves (upsmash, uptilt, fsmash, Nayrus) if possible unless you are SURE he will be hit, and try to pick options that outrange him with disjoint (LK, jab, ftilt, upair). You can't CC much because even the CCable moves will lead into other moves before you can get out a dsmash due to hitstun or crossup.

I would strongly recommend you to relax your play a little. The first thing that struck me immediately upon seeing you play was that you were CONSTANTLY doing something, anything. This means you were always committing to another option, and so the Squirtle player just waited a beat and then committed during the opportunity. Much like with Jazz, the moves you don't take are more important than the ones you do. I know against a fast character you need to be fast, but you shouldn't be rhythmic. Occasionally, picking nothing is an amazing mindgame. And no, I'm not just talking about empty hop or dashdance (which are also good picks sometimes), I mean literally nothing. There was one part where you just crouched and waited for him to come to you, and except for the fact that you never did anything at all that was perfect. What you needed to do there was at the last second dtilt once you saw the sideB, since sideB is negatively disjointed.

Don't challenge him at the ledge so much. The right idea (and I saw you do it on FoD) is to place a Dins on him mid-upB (or before he gets that far, if possible) and just rack up percent so that next time you'll get an outright kill.

I would say this is her worst matchup, but I like playing it more than I like playing vs. Fox. Frame 1 moves piss me off and you have to approach him because of blaster ew lol
Yeah, the relaxation thing is a big issue of mine. I know I really need to work on my patience in neutral (I think it's one of my weakest traits right now). I'm happy that you pointed it out because it's something that I often forget to consider when I play. There are these times when I'll just feel on edge, especially when playing against heavy pressure, which makes me speed up my APM where I should really just take it slow and easy. I make the mistake of letting my opponent dictate the pace of the game, forgetting that I have the ability to slow things down of my own accord.

EDIT: As for not staying on the ground enough, that was something I noticed in this set as well, and I actually tried to pick up a Marth shortly after I played this set (who does his best neutral game work on the ground) in an effort to improve my ground game and reduce my overreliance on aerial options. I've noticed slight improvements to both my ground movement and my neutral game since then.

Last edited:

4tlas

Smash Lord
Yeah, the relaxation thing is a big issue of mine. I know I really need to work on my patience in neutral (I think it's one of my weakest traits right now). I'm happy that you pointed it out because it's something that I often forget to consider when I play. There are these times when I'll just feel on edge, especially when playing against heavy pressure, which makes me speed up my APM where I should really just take it slow and easy. I make the mistake of letting my opponent dictate the pace of the game, forgetting that I have the ability to slow things down of my own accord.

EDIT: As for not staying on the ground enough, that was something I noticed in this set as well, and I actually tried to pick up a Marth shortly after I played this set (who does his best neutral game work on the ground) in an effort to improve my ground game and reduce my overreliance on aerial options. I've noticed slight improvements to both my ground movement and my neutral game since then.
Slowing down has the added benefit of giving you the presence of mind to read your opponent's patterns. Since it is such a difficult MU, I would argue the best thing to do is play the player, not the MU. As such, I would recommend using your first actions as a means of testing your opponent. Whether its placing a Dins and seeing if they are afraid/dismissive/ignorant of it or teleporting and seeing where they expect you to go (while conditioning them to expect that movement in the future), picking a safe but "aggressive" option and seeing how they respond can do wonders for your game, especially on the first game.

For example, if your very first teleport lands on their head with teleburn, they will start shielding every time you teleport. Grab or lightning kick out of teleport next time, etc.

Vitriform

Smash Apprentice
Slowing down has the added benefit of giving you the presence of mind to read your opponent's patterns. Since it is such a difficult MU, I would argue the best thing to do is play the player, not the MU. As such, I would recommend using your first actions as a means of testing your opponent. Whether its placing a Dins and seeing if they are afraid/dismissive/ignorant of it or teleporting and seeing where they expect you to go (while conditioning them to expect that movement in the future), picking a safe but "aggressive" option and seeing how they respond can do wonders for your game, especially on the first game.

For example, if your very first teleport lands on their head with teleburn, they will start shielding every time you teleport. Grab or lightning kick out of teleport next time, etc.
Good stuff. I can always use some advice on fundamentals and on the mental game. I have most of my tech skill down, but since I've only been playing competitively since late September (i.e. less than a year), I don't have that great of an intuition for some of the more mental aspects of Smash yet. There are many cases where I know what I should be doing in a logical sense (either in retrospect or while theorycrafting), but I fail at the execution because I react poorly while in the moment, where it really matters. I think I need more experience playing against better players.

Last edited:

4tlas

Smash Lord
Good stuff. I can always use some advice on fundamentals and on the mental game. I have most of my tech skill down, but since I've only been playing competitively since late September (i.e. less than a year), I don't have that great of an intuition for some of the more mental aspects of Smash yet. There are many cases where I know what I should be doing in a logical sense (either in retrospect or while theorycrafting), but I fail at the execution because I react poorly while in the moment, where it really matters. I think I need more experience playing against better players.
Better players play smarter, and outguessing a Chimpanzee is hard because not even he knows what choice he'll make!

In other words, practicing against stupid players will keep you bad or at least improving as slowly as the slowest of you, while practicing against smart players will train you to play one step ahead of them. Unfortunately then you get bodied by stupid players sometimes because you can't predict them...

Lately I've been playing dumber and dumber because I only play friendlies so nobody takes them seriously. Its making me place better right now because I'm thinking exactly 1 step ahead of the midtier player, but before I was placing poorly overall despite playing well against top players because I expected too much from the midtier player. You, on the other hand, can just outtech the midtier player, and turn on your smarts for the top tier player.

Its all very much like playing Rock Paper Scissors. First throw, what do you pick? Well Rock and Scissors are the easiest shapes to make, with Rock being easiest. Lazy players may pick Rock. This means that a throw of paper is most likely to be decisive, whether win or lose. This makes players that want to get RPS over with throw Paper. As a result, you should throw Scissors against those players. This is analogous to putting out that first Dins or Teleport. You are feeling out what type of player they are with your first throw. You both pick options and probably neither of you win or lose much. Second round.

So you threw the same thing, right? Do you think they are the type of person who sticks to their guns? The type of person that wants to outsmart you? The type of person that thinks you're smart? If they don't want to back down, they will pick the same thing (lets call it paper) again. If they want to outsmart you, they'll assume you will change because most people mix it up, and will pick Rock. If they think you're smart, they'll expect you to call that bluff and pick Paper, so they'll pick Scissors. This is even harder than Smash, where you have more to go off of.

If they are afraid of your Dins, you can probably approach with it as protection. You can use it later to zone opponents in toward you, to scare them into recovering high/low, and scare them to avoid a platform. If they are dismissive and swat it away, you can place one slightly past them and bait them into using a move on it, during which you teleport approach and confuse them more, or you can explode it to make them afraid of it and/or kill them. If they ignore it and go around it, you can place it in chokepoints (yay platforms) or at their normal movement height (forehead height for wavedashers and SHFFLers, waist height for dashdancers) to block their options and maybe even capitalize on their ignorance.

Every time they are in a techchase, you can do the same thing. Have they been playing afraid of you, or are they aggressive? Are they more concerned with dying outright or getting gimped? How easily can they retake center stage from you if you push them to the ledge? This lets you determine whether they will roll toward the ledge or roll toward center stage.

Use that read in different ways. If you are already at the roll in option, place a Dins above the roll out option. If they roll out, they either stand up into your Dins (approach and punish) or are now stuck under it without the ability to wavedash or jump, so destroy them. If the roll in, you're waiting and ready. If they stand up in place, they can't retreat because of Dins so its easy to approach because they can't bait and punish as easily. Lets say you were on their head. Begin dashing the way you think they will go. If you see them tech the other way, you can turn your dash around and follow, and if they tech in place you should be able to bair or pivot grab them.

If you are techchasing onto a platform and they are starting on one side, jump directly at them and float at the apex of your jump for as long as possible. If they get up in place, nair and drift properly to send them the direction you want. If they roll toward the side they are already on, fall a little then jump and nair the same (or jump back and LK them). If they roll across the platform, LK or jump LK them depending on how long they wait. If they wait long enough, you will have to jump and upair them. If they wait even longer, you should have already hit the ground and can pressure them all over again. If they start in the middle, jump slightly to one side so you can nair if they are on your side or the middle, then LK if they roll to the far side. For platforms, generally you can read whether your opponent is afraid of you and is going to roll away (and into a LK) or if they have learned not to do that and will get up in place. This is the type of thing where dumber opponents (to a point, obviously if they do something 100% of the time its easy to read) get harder, because you can't be sure when they will finally adapt to you. Smart players usually adapt after the first time, and then it is up to you to guess when they will alternate back to their old plan because now you're reading the new one instead!

Vitriform

Smash Apprentice
Better players play smarter, and outguessing a Chimpanzee is hard because not even he knows what choice he'll make!

In other words, practicing against stupid players will keep you bad or at least improving as slowly as the slowest of you, while practicing against smart players will train you to play one step ahead of them. Unfortunately then you get bodied by stupid players sometimes because you can't predict them...

Lately I've been playing dumber and dumber because I only play friendlies so nobody takes them seriously. Its making me place better right now because I'm thinking exactly 1 step ahead of the midtier player, but before I was placing poorly overall despite playing well against top players because I expected too much from the midtier player. You, on the other hand, can just outtech the midtier player, and turn on your smarts for the top tier player.

Its all very much like playing Rock Paper Scissors. First throw, what do you pick? Well Rock and Scissors are the easiest shapes to make, with Rock being easiest. Lazy players may pick Rock. This means that a throw of paper is most likely to be decisive, whether win or lose. This makes players that want to get RPS over with throw Paper. As a result, you should throw Scissors against those players. This is analogous to putting out that first Dins or Teleport. You are feeling out what type of player they are with your first throw. You both pick options and probably neither of you win or lose much. Second round.

So you threw the same thing, right? Do you think they are the type of person who sticks to their guns? The type of person that wants to outsmart you? The type of person that thinks you're smart? If they don't want to back down, they will pick the same thing (lets call it paper) again. If they want to outsmart you, they'll assume you will change because most people mix it up, and will pick Rock. If they think you're smart, they'll expect you to call that bluff and pick Paper, so they'll pick Scissors. This is even harder than Smash, where you have more to go off of.

If they are afraid of your Dins, you can probably approach with it as protection. You can use it later to zone opponents in toward you, to scare them into recovering high/low, and scare them to avoid a platform. If they are dismissive and swat it away, you can place one slightly past them and bait them into using a move on it, during which you teleport approach and confuse them more, or you can explode it to make them afraid of it and/or kill them. If they ignore it and go around it, you can place it in chokepoints (yay platforms) or at their normal movement height (forehead height for wavedashers and SHFFLers, waist height for dashdancers) to block their options and maybe even capitalize on their ignorance.

Every time they are in a techchase, you can do the same thing. Have they been playing afraid of you, or are they aggressive? Are they more concerned with dying outright or getting gimped? How easily can they retake center stage from you if you push them to the ledge? This lets you determine whether they will roll toward the ledge or roll toward center stage.

Use that read in different ways. If you are already at the roll in option, place a Dins above the roll out option. If they roll out, they either stand up into your Dins (approach and punish) or are now stuck under it without the ability to wavedash or jump, so destroy them. If the roll in, you're waiting and ready. If they stand up in place, they can't retreat because of Dins so its easy to approach because they can't bait and punish as easily. Lets say you were on their head. Begin dashing the way you think they will go. If you see them tech the other way, you can turn your dash around and follow, and if they tech in place you should be able to bair or pivot grab them.

If you are techchasing onto a platform and they are starting on one side, jump directly at them and float at the apex of your jump for as long as possible. If they get up in place, nair and drift properly to send them the direction you want. If they roll toward the side they are already on, fall a little then jump and nair the same (or jump back and LK them). If they roll across the platform, LK or jump LK them depending on how long they wait. If they wait long enough, you will have to jump and upair them. If they wait even longer, you should have already hit the ground and can pressure them all over again. If they start in the middle, jump slightly to one side so you can nair if they are on your side or the middle, then LK if they roll to the far side. For platforms, generally you can read whether your opponent is afraid of you and is going to roll away (and into a LK) or if they have learned not to do that and will get up in place. This is the type of thing where dumber opponents (to a point, obviously if they do something 100% of the time its easy to read) get harder, because you can't be sure when they will finally adapt to you. Smart players usually adapt after the first time, and then it is up to you to guess when they will alternate back to their old plan because now you're reading the new one instead!
I'm pretty good with my punish game once I get going, but I often have trouble converting into a good punish, so I really appreciate your description of how to "test" a player's reactions in neutral. It's something I often forget to do; most of my practice is against one training partner, and I know for the most part how he will react already, so we typically skip the step of feeling each other out when we play. It's nice having someone who's always around for a few games, since it means I don't have to rely on beating up computers to lab things out, but it's also conditioned me to deal with only a single playstyle (with some variations), so I sometimes choke when exposed to something new since I don't have a good grasp on how to scan for weaknesses on the fly, as demonstrated here. Because of how badly I felt like I was playing, I was actually reluctant to post this match for critique at first, since it didn't highlight any of the things I'm usually good at, but I'm happy I posted it, since it establishes a baseline for my gameplay at its worst, where my flaws are most obvious and pronounced. This makes it easier to evaluate exactly what they are and how I can go about fixing them.

4tlas

Smash Lord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kBKZa7bR78 Vs Fox
Rip my week old Zelda a new one. I already see tons of movement issues, and just overusing LK. There were a few other sets, but this one did a good job of explaining why I only got 9th. Be mean, I won't learn otherwise.
I think your movement was decent, but you used waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many LKs. They are a good move, but Fox can get between them so they aren't safe at all, and you were using them so much it was predictable. Generally (and especially against fastfallers), you want to try and lift your opponents into the air so they lose their defensive options and you can combo them. This means grabs, ftilt, and upsmash usually, but sometimes Dins, uptilt, and dair work too.

Explore your options more. Even though LK is a great move, if you are predictable anything can be punished.

4tlas

Smash Lord
Ok so Vitriform made a good point about putting up videos where you feel you played horribly to expose you at your worst and work out any hidden issues you have, so I'm going to post a terrible terrible video of myself playing recently. I have a bajillion different johns for why I sucked here, but that doesn't matter. Please tell me what you think I should work on. Unfortunately, technical solutions still need not apply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zY1-7rdqrw

Sorry for no sound, Twitch muted us =(

HanAmes

Smash Ace
Ok so Vitriform made a good point about putting up videos where you feel you played horribly to expose you at your worst and work out any hidden issues you have, so I'm going to post a terrible terrible video of myself playing recently. I have a bajillion different johns for why I sucked here, but that doesn't matter. Please tell me what you think I should work on. Unfortunately, technical solutions still need not apply.

I really like your play style with Zelda, as I can learn a few things from your matches. For me, Zelda requires a lotta concentration to play effectively as well as precise timing to speed up my games, but during mid matches, I always seem to burn out, and in return, the tables always turn on me. My vids are coming soon, though.

Vitriform

Smash Apprentice

A few things I noticed:

1) When on a platform above Marth, try not to stay in one place (this includes spot dodges) or roll into him. Marth has such a strong advantage in these positions that your best bet is generally to wait in shield (angle it down to prevent shield pokes) and look for an opportunity to use your up-B, roll away, WD OoS (I know you don't WD, so I guess you can disregard this one, but I firmly believe it's the best option in a lot of cases), jump to another platform, or shield drop (hard; I'm still trying to learn this). I didn't see this happen too often, but you did get punished for it.

2) Never set a Din against Captain Falcon if he hasn't committed to an option or if he isn't in a knockdown, juggle, or edgeguard situation. He's so fast that he will easily chase you down before you can place your Din accurately and punish you for it. Your Din usage when you managed to place them is excellent, as I've mentioned before, but it's worth keeping in mind that you should probably be a bit more careful when setting a Din in neutral against Captain Falcon. The same goes for other committal options like Ftilt and Utilt. I also saw you get punished for using these in similar situations.

3) I see you use dash attack for a lot of your techchases; it might not be a bad idea to techchase with grabs a bit more when you have the time, since you'll generally get more off of a grab than a late hit dash attack. This isn't really a concern so much as a suggestion for optimizing punishes, since there's nothing inherently wrong with what you're doing.

4tlas

Smash Lord
A few things I noticed:

1) When on a platform above Marth, try not to stay in one place (this includes spot dodges) or roll into him. Marth has such a strong advantage in these positions that your best bet is generally to wait in shield (angle it down to prevent shield pokes) and look for an opportunity to use your up-B, roll away, WD OoS (I know you don't WD, so I guess you can disregard this one, but I firmly believe it's the best option in a lot of cases), jump to another platform, or shield drop (hard; I'm still trying to learn this). I didn't see this happen too often, but you did get punished for it.

2) Never set a Din against Captain Falcon if he hasn't committed to an option or if he isn't in a knockdown, juggle, or edgeguard situation. He's so fast that he will easily chase you down before you can place your Din accurately and punish you for it. Your Din usage when you managed to place them is excellent, as I've mentioned before, but it's worth keeping in mind that you should probably be a bit more careful when setting a Din in neutral against Captain Falcon. The same goes for other committal options like Ftilt and Utilt. I also saw you get punished for using these in similar situations.

3) I see you use dash attack for a lot of your techchases; it might not be a bad idea to techchase with grabs a bit more when you have the time, since you'll generally get more off of a grab than a late hit dash attack. This isn't really a concern so much as a suggestion for optimizing punishes, since there's nothing inherently wrong with what you're doing.
Thanks. The parts where I got stuck on a platform above Marth were simultaneously input errors and me used to playing a much better Marth and countering his playstyle by habit. I've lost to Marths that arent as good simply because they have a different style, so I have to do the thing I suggested to you, wait and watch. I did it a little here but I was still dropping inputs everywhere so it doesn't show. The same thing happened with setting a Din against Falcon. From playing with better Captain Falcons, I found times in their play where I could set a Din even in neutral, and I tried to do that here. This particular Falcon didn't choose the commitments that made Dins safe and I also screwed up my timing of it, so I got punished. Same with the tilts. Normally I techchase with grab but again, input error. Blech, it was a bad day.

I think my main concern is my teleports, especially my recovery. Were those readable?

I really like your play style with Zelda, as I can learn a few things from your matches. For me, Zelda requires a lotta concentration to play effectively as well as precise timing to speed up my games, but during mid matches, I always seem to burn out, and in return, the tables always turn on me. My vids are coming soon, though.
Oh, thanks! I'm not really sure what that playstyle is, though, as I try to mix it up between all playstyles to keep things unpredictable and adapt to my opponent. Elaborating on what you think that playstyle is will help me notice patterns in my play, which is something I want to work on.

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
Could I get some critique as well?

Town & Sydney (Sydney major) - 11th July, 2nd in singles, 1st in doubles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MilRc3biB_E - 0-3, lost to Spud (NZ Marth) in winner's side of bracket
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S-KLyyd_ws - 3-0, won against Scabe (Peach) in loser's semifinals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8drMH_MroHU - 3-1, won against Spud in loser's finals (ignore the salty commentary)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G4IY-GS7HM - 2-3, lost to Zxv (Ganon, Fox) in grand finals

If you don't have time to watch all of them, critique on one of the matches that I lost would be great.

4tlas

Smash Lord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MilRc3biB_E - 0-3, lost to Spud (NZ Marth) in winner's side of bracket
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S-KLyyd_ws - 3-0, won against Scabe (Peach) in loser's semifinals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8drMH_MroHU - 3-1, won against Spud in loser's finals (ignore the salty commentary)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G4IY-GS7HM - 2-3, lost to Zxv (Ganon, Fox) in grand finals

If you don't have time to watch all of them, critique on one of the matches that I lost would be great.
I can watch more later if you want, but I only had time to watch the Marth matches in winners. If you fixed these points in losers, disregard them. As usual, I will only talk about vague gameplans and such, as you can obviously see when a move was unsafe by the fact that you got punished, etc.

Marth outspeeds and outranges you. His plan is to wall you out and push for more of the stage with his zone of control around himself. Your job is to be outside that zone until you are suddenly inside it with a hitbox. This means you need to barely outrange him suddenly (lightning kick), harass from afar (Dins), or use burst movement (telecancel). Most other things are situational.

You had wonderful movement and were very fluid in your play, but you used your body as a weapon too much in this matchup. This is definitely a case where you need to be poking with the tip of your hitboxes. Your combo strings could have been better as well. There were many opportunities when you chose to bthrow at decently low percents just to get him offstage, when an upthrow->LK/upair would have been much better. You also respected him too much when comboing him. There were many opportunities to end your string with a LK, but instead you left him in the air above you (which can be better) and then lost neutral when he returned to the ground before you or away from you. You jumped at him and nair'd quite often, and used dash attack when he had time to shield but not much else. Use dash grab for the latter. When Dins passed by him, you always chose to either let it zone him passively or attack simultaneously with your body, causing him to simply shield it or ignore it. Instead, explode it manually when it would force him into shield, as it does massive shield damage and will make opponents respect Dins more.

That's all I have for 3:30am.

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
I can watch more later if you want, but I only had time to watch the Marth matches in winners. If you fixed these points in losers, disregard them. As usual, I will only talk about vague gameplans and such, as you can obviously see when a move was unsafe by the fact that you got punished, etc.

Marth outspeeds and outranges you. His plan is to wall you out and push for more of the stage with his zone of control around himself. Your job is to be outside that zone until you are suddenly inside it with a hitbox. This means you need to barely outrange him suddenly (lightning kick), harass from afar (Dins), or use burst movement (telecancel). Most other things are situational.

You had wonderful movement and were very fluid in your play, but you used your body as a weapon too much in this matchup. This is definitely a case where you need to be poking with the tip of your hitboxes. Your combo strings could have been better as well. There were many opportunities when you chose to bthrow at decently low percents just to get him offstage, when an upthrow->LK/upair would have been much better. You also respected him too much when comboing him. There were many opportunities to end your string with a LK, but instead you left him in the air above you (which can be better) and then lost neutral when he returned to the ground before you or away from you. You jumped at him and nair'd quite often, and used dash attack when he had time to shield but not much else. Use dash grab for the latter. When Dins passed by him, you always chose to either let it zone him passively or attack simultaneously with your body, causing him to simply shield it or ignore it. Instead, explode it manually when it would force him into shield, as it does massive shield damage and will make opponents respect Dins more.

That's all I have for 3:30am.
Haha, that's really good for a 3:30 am analysis. Much appreciated.

And yeah, it'd be great if you could give me some more feedback on the other videos.

ZGE

Smash Apprentice

Something I noticed against Marth (at least in your first set, not sure if you adjusted the second set cause I didn't watch it) was that when you were near one of the ledges and getting grabbed, you would DI in toward the stage. It seems counter productive at first but you'd be better off to DI down and offstage especially at higher percents. While this doesn't put you in the most favorable position, it's much better than giving him a guaranteed spike. By DI'ing offstage you remove that follow up. Other than that I thought your combos were fine. I liked your use of pivot grabs in general. Something I like to do is forward throw my opponent offstage and see how they DI. If they know to DI away, I would then revert back to the pivot grabs. But if they DI f-throw in, that should be a guaranteed kick to the face (unless they're at really high percent =D)

Also a small note about the Smashville platform and teleporting: the way teleport seems to work is that you can travel down through stationary platforms (Battlefield, Dreamland, WarioWare, etc) but when you're on platforms that are moving (Delfino's, Smashville, GHZ) you can't go through it. I noticed against Marth and Peach you'd try to teleport down off the moving Smashville platform and reappear just above the ground because of the aforementioned mechanics, which leaves you quite open for counterattack. Against slower characters this isn't as big of a deal especially if they were on the platform with you and you were trying to get away, but against faster characters you could eat a hefty punish for it.

One more thing I noticed is that when you came off the revival platform you would immediately throw a fully charged Din's. One time in particular against Marth he literally sat there in shield until you were finished throwing it, then grabbed you and got 30%. It's not a terrible idea to throw Din's out, but make sure you don't use up all your invincibility doing so. Try throwing said Din's in such a way that either closes off space for him (which is hard against Marth because he can just swat the fireball away with his $@#*$#*@ sword, although your opponent didn't seem to be doing that) or in a way that pesters him/sets up for a throw combo or something.

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
Something I noticed against Marth (at least in your first set, not sure if you adjusted the second set cause I didn't watch it) was that when you were near one of the ledges and getting grabbed, you would DI in toward the stage. It seems counter productive at first but you'd be better off to DI down and offstage especially at higher percents. While this doesn't put you in the most favorable position, it's much better than giving him a guaranteed spike. By DI'ing offstage you remove that follow up. Other than that I thought your combos were fine. I liked your use of pivot grabs in general. Something I like to do is forward throw my opponent offstage and see how they DI. If they know to DI away, I would then revert back to the pivot grabs. But if they DI f-throw in, that should be a guaranteed kick to the face (unless they're at really high percent =D)

Also a small note about the Smashville platform and teleporting: the way teleport seems to work is that you can travel down through stationary platforms (Battlefield, Dreamland, WarioWare, etc) but when you're on platforms that are moving (Delfino's, Smashville, GHZ) you can't go through it. I noticed against Marth and Peach you'd try to teleport down off the moving Smashville platform and reappear just above the ground because of the aforementioned mechanics, which leaves you quite open for counterattack. Against slower characters this isn't as big of a deal especially if they were on the platform with you and you were trying to get away, but against faster characters you could eat a hefty punish for it.

One more thing I noticed is that when you came off the revival platform you would immediately throw a fully charged Din's. One time in particular against Marth he literally sat there in shield until you were finished throwing it, then grabbed you and got 30%. It's not a terrible idea to throw Din's out, but make sure you don't use up all your invincibility doing so. Try throwing said Din's in such a way that either closes off space for him (which is hard against Marth because he can just swat the fireball away with his $@#*$#*@ sword, although your opponent didn't seem to be doing that) or in a way that pesters him/sets up for a throw combo or something.
DI is definitely something I need to work on in the Marth MU. Thanks for the advice.

I know about the moving platform limitation, but I don't think I was punished for using it. Teleport in place, both on the ground and on a moving platform, has its uses.

Yeah, the fully charged Din's after coming back from the revival platform was pretty stupid... Good thing I made sure I didn't do it when I played him again.

4tlas

Smash Lord
Not looking for critique, but if you want to give it go ahead. More just providing Zelda content. This week was a ton of doubles. This playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcSDnlN_g2t4KwoYwSg7T9krq76KQTt8C has a bunch of Zelda in doubles. Team 2girls1upsmash is Peach and Zelda (the Zelda is Riot, probably the best Brawl Zelda), and Team Backairs is Sheilda and Snake (the Sheilda is me, Atlas, but its mostly Zelda because teams). There are many games of both, if you're interested in Zelda doubles. Enjoy!

4tlas

Smash Lord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eaDJiRfeak
Only posting me losing. Me winning was also against a Wario. Was he always so safe on shield? Need critique pl0x.

Edit: There's no sound and it's 480p. Enjoy.
Ok, a few big things.

1) The only true combo off of dthrow, assuming proper DI, is dash attack. Your opponent didn't DI correctly may times, but you should assume he will. If he does, you can opt not to dash attack and instead techchase to keep your string going. If you think he might DI incorrectly, you can afford to immediately go for the techchase and then react with an upsmash or regrab pretty easily. If you are confident he'll DI incorrectly, then you can lightning kick, but this should never happen.
2) There are other throws! Upthrow leads to juggles or lightning kicks at low percent, leading to more total damage than dthrow + dash attack. Fthrow can lead to regrabs, lightning kicks, upsmash, dash attack, etc depending on percent and DI. Bthrow puts them offstage usually and lets you edgeguard.
3) You seemed to have 2 modes: I have a plan and I don't have a plan. Whenever you had a plan you had great movement and kept your opponent on your toes. Whenever you didn't have a plan you either stopped and stood still, letting him get advantage on you, or you made a decision too late, leading to some SDs. Always have a plan, but always be flexible.

BlueLettuce

Smash Rookie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eaDJiRfeak
Only posting me losing. Me winning was also against a Wario. Was he always so safe on shield? Need critique pl0x.

Edit: There's no sound and it's 480p. Enjoy.
I am not the most experienced player so take this with a grain of salt.

I noticed a habit you had that led to a lost stop on more than one occasion. Quite often when you got close to stage height when recovery you would jump. This led into many a shoulder. There were times where you would (potentially out of habit) jump after Wario started his side-b. In my, albeit small amount, of experience: 1) He was offering you ledge so there is no point in burning your jump if that is where you plan to recover. 2) If you notice him using his side-b often take stage control and put him in a recovery situation. Teleport back to the stage and make him pay for overcommitting.

The second thing I noticed was your edgeguards. A couple of times you had great din's placements that forced him to either eat a din's or recover where he didn't want to, but you didn't follow up. You don't necessarily have to go ultra deep, but put some pressure on him. Sometimes that is enough for a player to make a critical mistake.

Again, maybe a more experienced player can elaborate or correct me if I may be wrong, but those are just a couple things I noticed. Hope it helps.

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, that was a huge mental thing that I was stuck in, the jump habit. The wario I had just gotten done playing would fsmash at ledge, so I didn't adapt back to that. He even got me when I tele'd early and I shortened it to make him think I adjusted. Then din's fire is something I'm definitely going to work on in friendlies over the next two weeks, as well as making sure I always have a plan, or at the very least can act when I don't have one. I used to be an autopilot scrub, the standstills are me trying to get used to it.
I realized too late that when he jumps with sideb on stage, I should move IN and upsmash. Near the end I start punishing his stage sideBs, but too little too late. He'd also punish a lot when he did an aerial in front of my shield, then punished the shield grab. I had no idea Wario was so safe on shield. Thanks for the advice

Vitriform

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqEWUn59aps

Here's a winner's finals set that I had against Kingtoon at a local tourney. For those of you who don't know, Kingtoon is a top Toon Link player in Brawl. He's not quite as dominant in PM as he is in Brawl, but he's still one of the best in Philadelphia because he's an incredibly smart player with strong fundamentals. I also think he's a fair bit better than I am, so I'm pretty happy about taking a game off of him (even if it was one of his less developed characters).

I feel like I did okay in this set; I didn't do anything profoundly amazing, but I don't feel like I played terribly either. The first game went pretty well for me, but I think I lost a lot of momentum after flubbing my recovery on my second stock in game 2 and started playing quite a bit worse (flubbing teleport angles, making unnecessary, jumpy inputs, etc.). Any critiques would be helpful.

ZGE

Smash Apprentice

Here's a winner's finals set that I had against Kingtoon at a local tourney. For those of you who don't know, Kingtoon is a top Toon Link player in Brawl. He's not quite as dominant in PM as he is in Brawl, but he's still one of the best in Philadelphia because he's an incredibly smart player with strong fundamentals. I also think he's a fair bit better than I am, so I'm pretty happy about taking a game off of him (even if it was one of his less developed characters).

I feel like I did okay in this set; I didn't do anything profoundly amazing, but I don't feel like I played terribly either. The first game went pretty well for me, but I think I lost a lot of momentum after flubbing my recovery on my second stock in game 2 and started playing quite a bit worse (flubbing teleport angles, making unnecessary, jumpy inputs, etc.). Any critiques would be helpful.
I feel like most of the time when you got hit against Charizard, you were just within range of Charizard's moves while not being able to hit with your own. I'd say be more aware of your spacing and work on the fluidity of your movements, i.e. try to know exactly when you can act out of certain attacks and begin others. Have as few empty frames possible.

Against Luigi I feel you did fairly well with spacing and combos and stuff. A couple things I'll mention about him specifically:

1. He's a sitting duck in the air. He can't do anything that will beat your up air. Around the 2:00 mark I noticed you had Luigi in the air but you pretty much let him come down safely. What I like to do is if I have Luigi in the air, I'll camp directly under him and threaten with up airs (if he's high enough so that I can land with him still a decent distance above me) or just DD under him until he's within uair range. Most Luigi's know they can't do anything about it except to try to land. You might be able to bait an airdodge as well. If so, he should eat a kick to the face or an up smash or up air or whatever.

2. You pretty much gave him the ledge for free a couple times. I don't use dtilt very much, but this is one case where I definitely do. Dtilt will beat out any sweetspot attempts by Luigi when he up B's, or at worst it will trade meaning you take 1% and he takes 10 or whatever it is, + he can get dash attacked or kicked back offstage. Definitely use this to your advantage if you can't hog the ledge fast enough. Speak of that, try to work on teleporting to the ledge from the stage. I know it's scary to try to do in tournament, but you have about a 4 or 5 frame window to grab it which is more time than you might think. Try practicing on Battlefield or PS2 or wherever really. I practiced for a decent bit and now I rarely miss.

Something else I noticed is that in between your opponent's stocks, I didn't see you throw Din's once. I usually take that time to throw a fully charged Din's that hovers above the stage and will come down on detonation. That way, if it's clanked, it will make its slow trajectory back to me, and otherwise I have a safe place to teleport to. If anything else, it's one more thing for your opponent to be aware of. But yeah, most of your problem might be in your own head. You were doing decently against Charizard until you missed the angle, and even your last stock of game 2 you were doing pretty well until he started throwing you offstage.

One more thing I'll point out is around the 9:58 mark you had Charizard in a position where he had just airdodged and had pretty much no choice but to land onstage. You opted to try to forward smash him back off. Instead, try up smashing or grabbing him (I would recommend up smash) into uair or kick, depending on how he DI's. Charizard is tricky to deal with, as he's fast and has some decently long ranged attacks, but I feel that he's best dealt with trying to pester him with Din's (while being aware of his speed and position in relation to yours).

Speaking of Din's, you did a good a job of mixing up when you were throwing Din's out so that he couldn't punish. He kept electing to just get hit by it and letting it come back to you it seems like. Try mixing it up sometimes though: throw it behind him, stop it in front of him, let it go above his head. He never seemed to know to clank it either, but if an opponent ever elects to clank it, use that time to gain stage position.

Anyway, hope this kind of helps. I feel like I just spewed a bunch of unconnected thoughts at you, but maybe @ 4tlas 4tlas will have something to say too.

Vitriform

Smash Apprentice
I feel like most of the time when you got hit against Charizard, you were just within range of Charizard's moves while not being able to hit with your own. I'd say be more aware of your spacing and work on the fluidity of your movements, i.e. try to know exactly when you can act out of certain attacks and begin others. Have as few empty frames possible.

Against Luigi I feel you did fairly well with spacing and combos and stuff. A couple things I'll mention about him specifically:

1. He's a sitting duck in the air. He can't do anything that will beat your up air. Around the 2:00 mark I noticed you had Luigi in the air but you pretty much let him come down safely. What I like to do is if I have Luigi in the air, I'll camp directly under him and threaten with up airs (if he's high enough so that I can land with him still a decent distance above me) or just DD under him until he's within uair range. Most Luigi's know they can't do anything about it except to try to land. You might be able to bait an airdodge as well. If so, he should eat a kick to the face or an up smash or up air or whatever.

2. You pretty much gave him the ledge for free a couple times. I don't use dtilt very much, but this is one case where I definitely do. Dtilt will beat out any sweetspot attempts by Luigi when he up B's, or at worst it will trade meaning you take 1% and he takes 10 or whatever it is, + he can get dash attacked or kicked back offstage. Definitely use this to your advantage if you can't hog the ledge fast enough. Speak of that, try to work on teleporting to the ledge from the stage. I know it's scary to try to do in tournament, but you have about a 4 or 5 frame window to grab it which is more time than you might think. Try practicing on Battlefield or PS2 or wherever really. I practiced for a decent bit and now I rarely miss.

Something else I noticed is that in between your opponent's stocks, I didn't see you throw Din's once. I usually take that time to throw a fully charged Din's that hovers above the stage and will come down on detonation. That way, if it's clanked, it will make its slow trajectory back to me, and otherwise I have a safe place to teleport to. If anything else, it's one more thing for your opponent to be aware of. But yeah, most of your problem might be in your own head. You were doing decently against Charizard until you missed the angle, and even your last stock of game 2 you were doing pretty well until he started throwing you offstage.

One more thing I'll point out is around the 9:58 mark you had Charizard in a position where he had just airdodged and had pretty much no choice but to land onstage. You opted to try to forward smash him back off. Instead, try up smashing or grabbing him (I would recommend up smash) into uair or kick, depending on how he DI's. Charizard is tricky to deal with, as he's fast and has some decently long ranged attacks, but I feel that he's best dealt with trying to pester him with Din's (while being aware of his speed and position in relation to yours).

Speaking of Din's, you did a good a job of mixing up when you were throwing Din's out so that he couldn't punish. He kept electing to just get hit by it and letting it come back to you it seems like. Try mixing it up sometimes though: throw it behind him, stop it in front of him, let it go above his head. He never seemed to know to clank it either, but if an opponent ever elects to clank it, use that time to gain stage position.

Anyway, hope this kind of helps. I feel like I just spewed a bunch of unconnected thoughts at you, but maybe @ 4tlas 4tlas will have something to say too.
Thanks for the feedback. I need to get a better feel for Zard's preferred spacing, since it's not a matchup I often encounter. I often underestimate his range, thinking I'm safe when in reality, I'm right in his threat zone.

I didn't know about Dtilt beating out Luigi's sweetspot attempts (I assumed it was like Marth, where perfect sweetspots can't be intercepted with it) so I'll be sure to use that next time.

At 2:00, I didn't think the Uair would hit, since Kingtoon still had his jump. I was trying to bait out the jump with my own empty full hop, but I wasn't positioned correctly for a Uair after doing so.

The Fsmash at 9:58 was absolutely a mediocre option. It's possible that it might have been an input flub, but I think it was more likely, as you mentioned, a bad option select.

Not setting a large Din between stocks is a stylistic choice. I don't typically like setting a Din at those times because the opponent can barrel through it with invincibility (don't even need to put out a hitbox) if I set it at center stage, or if I set it offstage or near the edge and out of reach, it doesn't affect the game state very much. Furthermore, if I get hit and it de-links, a large Din is slow to come back. Not only do I need to commit to recalling the Din in this case, but I no longer have one of my most vital neutral game tools available to me. I personally like having a quick Din available at any time for the purpose of walling or poking at midrange. Nonetheless, it's something with which I should experiment, and I'll keep in mind that I have it as an option.

The teleport cancel to ledge is something I practice frequently, but I'm not yet confident enough to implement it in matches. I used it often in 3.5, when it was far less risky, and used it more than I do now when 3.6 beta first came out, but dropped it in favor of RAR -> ledgegrab and WD to ledge. I still SD a bit too much to feel safe doing it, especially against a better opponent. Telesnaps and shield drops are what I'm labbing out right now for future use.

4tlas

Smash Lord

I have 2 things that are generally true for everyone, and 2 things that are specific to you. I am rather drunk at present, so forgive me if I do not word this properly or have observed things incorrectly.

I will start with the 2 general things.
1) You seem to be consumed with performing technical options to the point of not using them intelligently all the time. For example, every time you teleport to approach you either come out of it too close to your opponent because you reverse it or you dashdance out of it and consequently lose your element of surprise. More inputs =/= better options. Most players do this.
2) On a similar note, you seem to have a need to always be inputting something. I understand that this may keep you ready to perform more technical inputs, but doing nothing means you are free to do anything. For example, there were a few situations where you had cornered your opponent with Dins. Even though he was trapped and non-threatening, you proceeded to dashdance a decent way away from him. Remember that every dash away gives your opponent the briefest moment of freedom, and most players put themselves in a "mode" of dashdancing which takes them a moment to come out of. Starting a teleport or advancing slowly are much better ways of forcing your opponent even further into a corner and then reading him.

The 2 specific things to your play in this set.
1) You almost always chose to ledgehop fair. After the first 2 I started watching for it and reading it, and I was able to predict it 4:5 times for the rest of the set. Other options to consider are waveland on, roll on, standard getup (so that roll on becomes a mixup instead of obvious), ledgedrop jump lightning kick (for really close targets), ledgehop nayrus (for close targets), ledgehop stomp (for the hard reads. It might scare opponents into giving you space in the future), or ledgehop lightning kick (which you use already, and is good for far away targets). The last game you always picked ledgedrop jump fair, but I digress.
2) I almost never saw you re-detonate Dins to stall its travel and therefore hit your opponent. Appropriate times to do this that you missed are when the opponent is on the ledge (stalling it on top of them lets it wait until invuln is over) and when they are returning to the ground without jumps and they either get hit or airdodge, either way leaving them vulnerable.

ZGE mentioned the lack of Dins between stocks, which I feel is a waste. There is nearly no point in throwing out a quick dins during invuln because it provides no stage control during invuln and nearly none afterward due to being a quick wisp, whereas a large Dins during spawn is perfect to return to you after invuln wears off.

I would also like to mention that your teleports in neutral could use some work, but you seem to already know that. The only true value that this has an approach option is the inherent mixup, so I would recommend trying all sorts of things. All of the options you picked fell under the counterplay category of "attack immediately" (unless you appeared then dashdanced, in which case the counterplay was "attack anyway because Zelda isn't ready to counter"). Try some that counter that, like appearing just outside your opponents range and then rushing in, appearing on top of them but with a shield then shield grab, retreating to throw out a huge Dins, teleporting past them to take center stage, or teleporting in place/nearby as a microspace option. I saw you do the last one a little bit, but I don't recall it being at the right time.

Anyway, take this all with some amount of skepticism, as I am drunk. I still think your technical ability is impeccable, and I can't wait until you start taking big names with regularity. Or maybe you already do!

Vitriform

Smash Apprentice
I have 2 things that are generally true for everyone, and 2 things that are specific to you. I am rather drunk at present, so forgive me if I do not word this properly or have observed things incorrectly.

I will start with the 2 general things.
1) You seem to be consumed with performing technical options to the point of not using them intelligently all the time. For example, every time you teleport to approach you either come out of it too close to your opponent because you reverse it or you dashdance out of it and consequently lose your element of surprise. More inputs =/= better options. Most players do this.
2) On a similar note, you seem to have a need to always be inputting something. I understand that this may keep you ready to perform more technical inputs, but doing nothing means you are free to do anything. For example, there were a few situations where you had cornered your opponent with Dins. Even though he was trapped and non-threatening, you proceeded to dashdance a decent way away from him. Remember that every dash away gives your opponent the briefest moment of freedom, and most players put themselves in a "mode" of dashdancing which takes them a moment to come out of. Starting a teleport or advancing slowly are much better ways of forcing your opponent even further into a corner and then reading him.

The 2 specific things to your play in this set.
1) You almost always chose to ledgehop fair. After the first 2 I started watching for it and reading it, and I was able to predict it 4:5 times for the rest of the set. Other options to consider are waveland on, roll on, standard getup (so that roll on becomes a mixup instead of obvious), ledgedrop jump lightning kick (for really close targets), ledgehop nayrus (for close targets), ledgehop stomp (for the hard reads. It might scare opponents into giving you space in the future), or ledgehop lightning kick (which you use already, and is good for far away targets). The last game you always picked ledgedrop jump fair, but I digress.
2) I almost never saw you re-detonate Dins to stall its travel and therefore hit your opponent. Appropriate times to do this that you missed are when the opponent is on the ledge (stalling it on top of them lets it wait until invuln is over) and when they are returning to the ground without jumps and they either get hit or airdodge, either way leaving them vulnerable.

ZGE mentioned the lack of Dins between stocks, which I feel is a waste. There is nearly no point in throwing out a quick dins during invuln because it provides no stage control during invuln and nearly none afterward due to being a quick wisp, whereas a large Dins during spawn is perfect to return to you after invuln wears off.

I would also like to mention that your teleports in neutral could use some work, but you seem to already know that. The only true value that this has an approach option is the inherent mixup, so I would recommend trying all sorts of things. All of the options you picked fell under the counterplay category of "attack immediately" (unless you appeared then dashdanced, in which case the counterplay was "attack anyway because Zelda isn't ready to counter"). Try some that counter that, like appearing just outside your opponents range and then rushing in, appearing on top of them but with a shield then shield grab, retreating to throw out a huge Dins, teleporting past them to take center stage, or teleporting in place/nearby as a microspace option. I saw you do the last one a little bit, but I don't recall it being at the right time.

Anyway, take this all with some amount of skepticism, as I am drunk. I still think your technical ability is impeccable, and I can't wait until you start taking big names with regularity. Or maybe you already do!
I'm still trying to get past the jumpy, excess inputs. It's going to take a long time. The neutral game is one of my greatest weaknesses right now in my opinion, so I'm glad you pointed out that my neutral needs work, especially since you mentioned specifics like teleport mixups, stage positioning (something I'm not great at), and poor options.

I do re-detonate Din's; I just tend to time it wrong, especially when the Din is small. It's entirely possible that I didn't utilize it much in this set though. I'll rewatch it to see what I do.

Yeah, I didn't really mix up my ledge options this set. I know I have the others, and I do use them, but for some reason I got fixated on ledgehop -> Fair and ledgedrop -> jump -> Fair in this set. It would definitely explain why I felt like I was having trouble getting back onstage both in this and other sets; I was probably getting read to hell and back. This is something I'll need to consider more strongly.

In light of both ZGE and you recommending setting a Din between stocks, I'm going to start doing that and see how that goes.

BlueLettuce

Smash Rookie
Quickly watching the videos:

@ GDNALK GDNALK waaaaaaaaaaaay to many side-b's... it is extremely punishable. Work on your float/float cancel aerials to try and bait out approaches. Having said that I haven't played peach often enough to know her intricacies. Peach boards will likely give you a better break down. As far as general knowledge goes, learn your spacing. Also understand that Zelda in particular is generally committed to a small radius (slow ground and aerial mobility). She does have tele-cancel to get around quick but used to approach too often can become predictable. Just know that whiffed moves can lead to a lightning kick to the face.

@ T Tactician Lan Try not to approach so often. Against more knowledgeable players leading with a lightning kick may work the first time but will get you punished from then on. LK is a great punish tool but you don't want to become predictable (about 80% of your moves were LKs). f-tilt, u-tilt and d-tilt are great tools. d-tilt is a quick poke, u-tilt is a great anti-air/kill move with less commitment than u-smash and f-tilt leads to combos. n-air is also another great aerial and I don't think I saw you use it. It can be used to stuff unsafe aerial approaches closer to Zelda.

Finally, Din's. You had to right idea when peach was off-stage but you weren't pressuring her enough. She was easily able to get around it without much effort. Din's can be used to control where you want your opponent to recover or put pressure on them to make a quick decision. Mistakes can easily be made when you force people to make split decisions. Also, don't forget Din's can be used ON STAGE!!!!

TL;DR Spacing is crucial for both of these characters IMO as they both have limited mobility. Make use of all of Zelda's kit, and use din's as a pressure tool both on and off stage (it can be used for much more but start with that).

Hope this helps.

ZGE

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMZRs71dx-A&list=PLF7EpQS-96ilj8yrA-z1XYdHJh2Xl3tBU&index=6 (vs. Fox/Falcon, went Bowser games 1 and 2 then Zelda for game 3, lost 2-1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxZloCJvER8&index=10&list=PLF7EpQS-96ilj8yrA-z1XYdHJh2Xl3tBU (vs. Falcon, won 2-0 after shaky game 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6JnuoYIscM&index=11&list=PLF7EpQS-96ilj8yrA-z1XYdHJh2Xl3tBU (vs. Wario, lost 0-3, played Zelda games 1 and 3)

Edit: posted the actual videos instead of the playlist.

Last edited:

4tlas

Smash Lord
http://youtu.be/hMZRs71dx-A?list=PLF7EpQS-96ilj8yrA-z1XYdHJh2Xl3tBU

I have 3 videos here from a tournament this past weekend, look for the ones with "A-Wall" in them. Two losses and a win.
I loved your Bowser play. It was great except sometimes it was predictable (like when you downB'd to ledge and he hogged it). I didn't watch the G&W game.

In your games vs. Captain Falcon, you did a pretty good job. I have 4 pieces of advice.

1) You can stuff his aerial approaches easily with jab. You did it once and I think it converted into a combo.

2) You can edgeguard him really easily with Dins beneath the ledge. If he hits it either lightning kick/stomp or rinse and repeat. If he goes around it (he has to eventually) you can dtilt->dsmash because he can't sweetspot.

3) You should be able to full-to-death him almost every time with chain upthrow into chain upsmash into lightning kick. You were choosing to end your combos early with nair and you never opted to chaingrab him. On a similar note, instead of fthrowing for a kill setup, just upthrow since you're guaranteed to get a lightning kick or upair. Or risk it and fthrow so you know they're on the side of the screen that kills them, up to you.

4) You can Farore's Boost out of a lot of Falcon's combos, especially his throw followups. Changing up your DI may force your opponent to react which may give you enough time to Farore's Boost out of almost anything.

As for your games vs. Wario, I only have 1 piece of advice: get used to his movement. I'm not talking about shoulder bash or his wavedash distance, I'm talking about the basic run speed, air speed, and fall speed. You frequently went for options that had literally no chance of hitting because it was physically impossible for Wario to get there!

Other than that I don't have much to say because I don't want to say anything misleading. Here's a set where I play against a great Wario player, and even though I don't even take a game its still more content for you to look at and there are good moments from both of us which may give you more ideas for what works as Zelda and what to be afraid of from Wario: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5etbBNpwEQ

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxZloCJvER8&index=10&list=PLF7EpQS-96ilj8yrA-z1XYdHJh2Xl3tBU#t=50s would have been a good time to ledgestall and use the ribbon hitbox to gimp him. Your wavelands are nice. Some of the telecancels were pretty good as well.

2) You can edgeguard him really easily with Dins beneath the ledge. If he hits it either lightning kick/stomp or rinse and repeat. If he goes around it (he has to eventually) you can dtilt->dsmash because he can't sweetspot.
I generally think it's better not to have the Din's out there unless you're coming from the other side of the stage, because Falcon can sideB it back (ZGE lost the stock when that happened), and dtilt->dsmash works just as effectively without it. Dtilt->dsmash might be even better without it because there's less uncertainty from where the Din's will hit Falcon. Agreed with the rest of your post though.

4tlas

Smash Lord
I generally think it's better not to have the Din's out there unless you're coming from the other side of the stage, because Falcon can sideB it back (ZGE lost the stock when that happened), and dtilt->dsmash works just as effectively without it. Dtilt->dsmash might be even better without it because there's less uncertainty from where the Din's will hit Falcon. Agreed with the rest of your post though.
If you can get the angle right (we might be thinking of different angles) that means you are far enough from the edge to curve Dins around it, and thus the Dins will be a decent size. Should be an easy manual explosion in that case. Against Falcon I like to put the Dins out to intercept his drift, sometimes I explode it in his face, sometimes I detonate it to make it follow him when he tries to avoid it, and sometimes I Transform to Sheik and true combo him to death with it. There are a lot of options, and placing it at the spot where he can sideB it is sometimes a good one, namely when he's so far away he has to recover with an upB, whether for height or distance.

Top Bottom