• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Social Thread

4tlas

Smash Lord
Do you mean aerial upB, hold diagonal, let go once moving? Or is there a grounded variant you can use? I haven't found anything grounded besides being right next to the ledge and doing it, but that's super hard to put the stick back to neutral quick enough. And would only have VERY niche uses.
I wanted to like this, but you worded much of it as questions, so instead I will try to answer them.

I believe everything you said/asked here is true/yes.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
You could probably ledge cancel it if spaced properly, usually just more efficient to aerial it.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Yeah, I was talking about what Irish linked. I don't think there's a way to do it from the ground. Shortening might work, sort of like when Ganon uses side-b just barely off the stage and then can grab ledge. Even if it is, I don't know how much faster it would be. It certainly wouldn't be easier. It might be a LITTLE bit safer, because you could back off at the last second if you're too slow to get there

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
Extreme gamer tip: Place a din in the path of the balloon on Smashville to have it come back earlier and not require a side-B!!
The actual reason you want to put a dins in the path of the balloon is to win the balloon battle.

actually* the only reason to play on smashville is to win the balloon battle.

Captain Zack

Banned via Administration
NNID
Chibi_Zack
so not to be bragging but do i have the only P:M zelda guide? for this character it seems there should be more on her.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
so not to be bragging but do i have the only P:M zelda guide? for this character it seems there should be more on her.
You do, technically. No one has put together a formal guide. However, if you read the Triforce of Wisdom thread, you will find a collaborative effort by all of us to analyze each move and its uses. Additionally, throughout the other threads, she has been talked about plenty.

I think the reason that you don't see as many guides by individuals is that it wouldn't be as good as a group effort, unless it was done by one of the top players of the character (Zhime for Zelda). However, the work required in collecting all of that information and formatting it as a guide would take a great deal of time.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
Us Zeldas have kinda worked together to make her what she is today. Talking on the boards and discussing every little detail about her.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
After playing local again after several days of netplay I am realizing just how fast Zelda can be. Also how deep you can go while edgeguarding with her. Jumping off the ledge with Side-B and placing it asap then ledge guarding lets you go way way out for kills and gimps. Her nair seems like the best option for aerials in terms of safeness for deep off-stage play, but her fair and bair has such small ending lag it's not TOO risky. Plus sour spot at medium high percents taps them back enough to go for another. Dair is completely dependent on the enemy's aerial mobility and options. It's damn risky when playing deep-Z.
I've landed a fair number of farore's startup hit as gimps actually. Sometimes on accident after a failed gimp, sometimes on purpose. Works very well when you have a dins pressuring the opponent into concentrating on recovering instead of concentrating on counter-gimping. Definitely worth exploring!
None of this is really new. You could do all of that in 3.02

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
http://www.twitch.tv/long_island_smash/b/601422960?t=18m53s

help pls the first game wasnt hard but then he switched to luigi and i have no idea how to deal with this stupid fking character
Spacing spacing spacing. Luigi has moderate range, poor air speed, and great ground speed. You need to better abuse Zelda's small disjoint. You got caught right in his face a LOT. Keep your distance. When he rushes in, throw out something like Nayru's or f-smash that will outrange him. Fade away more instead of charging in. Think like you're a Marth and you have to get tippers.

4tlas

Smash Lord
Is farore's wind a viable ledge stall? And is din's fire a viable "jab reset?"
Farore's can ledge stall, but I think you will have a gap of invuln frames, so its not stupid like Sheik's.

If by jab reset you mean force the getup, I dont think so. If by jab reset you mean put them in enough hitstun to followup without moving them, then absolutely yes. The hitstun is pitiful at low percents, but if you place it over their getup beforehand you will have time to close the gap, thereby being in range to followup on the tiny hitstun.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Is farore's wind a viable ledge stall? And is din's fire a viable "jab reset?"
Yes and...yes?

You can use the beginning of Farore's Wind to stall ledge, like Fox does with FireFox. However, it is not nearly as good. You are vulnerable at points, and the hitboxes don't last nearly as long. It's very nice to reset your invincibility, though!

Din's fire's wisp knockback is low enough that it will function exactly as a jab reset. So in terms of knockback, yes, could be used as a jab reset. However, the fact that is has to be used at range makes it not as viable. I have used it effectively as a jab reset, but it's very very circumstantial.

they miss a tech > throw Din's out for "jab reset" > they are forced to get up > close the gap while they're standing up > grab > things

4tlas

Smash Lord
Ignore every part of this match accept the 2nd game (where the link starts)
http://youtu.be/oLEvMZe0Vzs?t=5m12s
So its 4am so I don't have time to watch the stream after watching this but I still wanted to post while I remember what I wanted to say loooooooool

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised to see my man CP9 as your opponent. I know him personally and I haven't seen him in awhile due to him being home (wherever you are) for school break. So naturally I had to watch the whole set despite you asking us not to. Oh my.

It was quite amusing to watch you play Zelda completely differently from me and see how CP9 plays against it in comparison to how our matches go. During the 2nd match, every time you did something I would do he read and punished it, but everything else you did is nothing like me at all lol

I don't know if this advice works on Olimar specifically, but I know it works for CP9: use Din's. A lot. He just loves running into it, its so pretty. And then he gets into this jovial frustration mode (except less during tournament) where he just jokes about wtf is this move even. Then he runs into it more. Eventually he'll just approach you, and victory is yours (because Zelda). This doesn't seem to be your playstyle, but it works pretty well for me.

Say hi to him for me! I loved watching him laugh when one of you did something stupid like blatantly suicide. Great dude.

Downdraft

Smash Ace
Would someone break down f-tilt for me? I don't understand where the sweetspot is or which hitboxes pull the opponent in. I assume low f-tilt launches at 110°. Standard f-tilt sometimes holds the opponent in place, but other times it sends them flying away, and I rarely use high f-tilt, but does it do different things too? I'm so confused.
GIFs are courtesy of Captain Zack. Code is from the sticky.

Code:
ID=0, Size=3, Damage (Hit/Shield)=13/15.4, Angle=110°, KB Units (0%/100%)=75.32/159.32, BKB=50, WDSK=0, KBG=80, SDI Multiplier=1x, Clang=True, Effect=Slash, Hitstun (0%/100%)=30/63, Shieldstun=7, Hitlag=7, Hit Advantage (0%/100%)=+9/+42, Shield Advantage=-14
ID=1, Size=4.25, Damage (Hit/Shield)=14/19.6, Angle=110°, KB Units (0%/100%)=85.208/152.408, BKB=65, WDSK=0, KBG=60, SDI Multiplier=1x, Clang=False, Effect=Slash, Hitstun (0%/100%)=34/60, Shieldstun=8, Hitlag=7, Hit Advantage (0%/100%)=+13/+39, Shield Advantage=-13
ID=2, Size=2.34, Damage (Hit/Shield)=10/7, Angle=361°, KB Units (0%/100%)=76.4/160.4, BKB=50, WDSK=0, KBG=100, SDI Multiplier=1x, Clang=True, Effect=Normal, Hitstun (0%/100%)=30/64, Shieldstun=6, Hitlag=6, Hit Advantage (0%/100%)=+9/+43, Shield Advantage=-15
ID=3, Size=3.13, Damage (Hit/Shield)=9/6.3, Angle=361°, KB Units (0%/100%)=74.93/151.93, BKB=50, WDSK=0, KBG=100, SDI Multiplier=1x, Clang=True, Effect=Normal, Hitstun (0%/100%)=29/60, Shieldstun=6, Hitlag=6, Hit Advantage (0%/100%)=+8/+39, Shield Advantage=-15
Also, how does one get Din's fire to loop around them? I haven't figured that out either.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
So its 4am so I don't have time to watch the stream after watching this but I still wanted to post while I remember what I wanted to say loooooooool

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised to see my man CP9 as your opponent. I know him personally and I haven't seen him in awhile due to him being home (wherever you are) for school break. So naturally I had to watch the whole set despite you asking us not to. Oh my.

It was quite amusing to watch you play Zelda completely differently from me and see how CP9 plays against it in comparison to how our matches go. During the 2nd match, every time you did something I would do he read and punished it, but everything else you did is nothing like me at all lol

I don't know if this advice works on Olimar specifically, but I know it works for CP9: use Din's. A lot. He just loves running into it, its so pretty. And then he gets into this jovial frustration mode (except less during tournament) where he just jokes about wtf is this move even. Then he runs into it more. Eventually he'll just approach you, and victory is yours (because Zelda). This doesn't seem to be your playstyle, but it works pretty well for me.

Say hi to him for me! I loved watching him laugh when one of you did something stupid like blatantly suicide. Great dude.
YEA DUDE! This is actually the first time he had beaten me in forever. First time we had played 3.5 together as well. I beat him in a MM with ICs afterwards so I got my revenge. I play pretty aggressively. In the second game I played so well it wasn't even funny.

In 3.0 I used teledash to get in on him and start combos, but due to the lag atm in the patch I can't really do that. Chris is one of my favorite people. He mentioned you a few times and I've seen you on the stream.

Alot of the Zeldas here love watching me play cuz I'm flashy but I usually lose cuz I don't play her correctly like you or them do. I'M TRYING THO! lol

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Would someone break down f-tilt for me? I don't understand where the sweetspot is or which hitboxes pull the opponent in. I assume low f-tilt launches at 110°. Standard f-tilt sometimes holds the opponent in place, but other times it sends them flying away, and I rarely use high f-tilt, but does it do different things too? I'm so confused.
First off, all of the hitboxes are identical no matter how you tilt it. High, medium, and low f-tilt are all the same, with the exception of the orientation of the hitboxes.

Two of the hitboxes send them towards you, the other send them away (at a sakurai angle). The PURPLE ones send them towards you, and the YELLOW ones send them at Sakurai angle. It is also fun to note that priority is:
small purple > large purple > small yellow > big yellow, with small purple having the highest priority.

Below are the images of the hitboxes at max extension so you can see them clearly

Also, how does one get Din's fire to loop around them? I haven't figured that out either.
Send it out, make it return. While it's returning, it tries to lock on to you, but it doesn't have very good turning, so you can literally run in circles around it. This is easier done with a larger (and slower) Din's. To get it to infinitely loop around while you're standing in place is...a bit tricky. I don't think any of us have figured out a consistent method, yet.

4tlas

Smash Lord
YEA DUDE! This is actually the first time he had beaten me in forever. First time we had played 3.5 together as well. I beat him in a MM with ICs afterwards so I got my revenge. I play pretty aggressively. In the second game I played so well it wasn't even funny.

In 3.0 I used teledash to get in on him and start combos, but due to the lag atm in the patch I can't really do that. Chris is one of my favorite people. He mentioned you a few times and I've seen you on the stream.

Alot of the Zeldas here love watching me play cuz I'm flashy but I usually lose cuz I don't play her correctly like you or them do. I'M TRYING THO! lol
I watched the other set now. You play much faster than I do, and your technical ability allows you to surprise your opponents with your aggressive play. This works great as long as they are still surprised by it. Unfortunately, if you ever screw up your intense technical movements you are left dead in the water. These were the times that DK/Olimar punished you HARD.

You are certainly succeeding at being flashy, which, if that's what you value, you should be proud of! I think you are doing a lot of things that I can't do, such as your fast approaches. In terms of your playstyle being "incorrect", I don't agree. At least, mine is no more correct. The optimal playstyle is most likely somewhere in the middle. There are times when you should consider placing dins and approaching gradually to fake out opponents. The one thing I can definitely say you are doing suboptimally is the thing you admitted to yourself: the teledashes. You are rather slow. The 2 frames of extra lag is not THAT big of a deal, and I have found ways of using the teledash despite it. You just need to practice it and get used to the timing!

And then all that practice will be somewhat wasted when it gets fixed lol

Downdraft

Smash Ace
First off, all of the hitboxes are identical no matter how you tilt it. High, medium, and low f-tilt are all the same, with the exception of the orientation of the hitboxes.

Two of the hitboxes send them towards you, the other send them away (at a sakurai angle). The PURPLE ones send them towards you, and the YELLOW ones send them at Sakurai angle. It is also fun to note that priority is:
small purple > large purple > small yellow > big yellow, with small purple having the highest priority.

Below are the images of the hitboxes at max extension so you can see them clearly

Send it out, make it return. While it's returning, it tries to lock on to you, but it doesn't have very good turning, so you can literally run in circles around it. This is easier done with a larger (and slower) Din's. To get it to infinitely loop around while you're standing in place is...a bit tricky. I don't think any of us have figured out a consistent method, yet.
Thanks Kaeldiar. So basically, hit with her hand or the sparkles to draw them toward you. Hit anywhere from her shoulder to her elbow to knock them at the Sakurai angle? Also didn't know that the high f-tilt could draw them towards you; I don't notice anyone using that tilt angle.

Regarding the Din's, I asked because I've seen the trick pulled off a few times in a few videos.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Thanks Kaeldiar. So basically, hit with her hand or the sparkles to draw them toward you. Hit anywhere from her shoulder to her elbow to knock them at the Sakurai angle? Also didn't know that the high f-tilt could draw them towards you; I don't notice anyone using that tilt angle.

Regarding the Din's, I asked because I've seen the trick pulled off a few times in a few videos.
Yep! That's right about f-tilt!

As far as Din's goes, it's sort of something you have to feel out. Mess around with manipulating the wisp by running around

4tlas

Smash Lord
Did anyone watch Smashing Grounds today (1/8)? I finally got a chance to be on stream again. I usually don't get a chance because I'm the TO, and when I do I always lose because I'm in the middle of the rankings (so the only matches of me I think are worthy of putting on stream are against tougher opponents), but I'd still like to hear what people think!

I assume everyone was watching TLoc as usual instead, so I'll post vids when we finish processing them.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
I was working :( I know those TO johns tho lolol Every week that's me. Hard to focus when you are running stream and bracket WHILE competing. Looking forward to the vods

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Did anyone watch Smashing Grounds today (1/8)? I finally got a chance to be on stream again. I usually don't get a chance because I'm the TO, and when I do I always lose because I'm in the middle of the rankings (so the only matches of me I think are worthy of putting on stream are against tougher opponents), but I'd still like to hear what people think!

I assume everyone was watching TLoc as usual instead, so I'll post vids when we finish processing them.
I missed it! I was packing, since I'm driving to school tomorrow. Be sure to let us know when those videos are up, though! I'd love to check them out!

4tlas

Smash Lord
I was working :( I know those TO johns tho lolol Every week that's me. Hard to focus when you are running stream and bracket WHILE competing. Looking forward to the vods
I haven't been doing much for "running" stream lately. When I first started TOing I also ran stream and commentated (all new to me), but we had a wonderful person set everything up (hardware, software, the whole nine yards) for us. Then that wonderful person lost interest and we had to get new hardware and a new stream setup person. Now I don't even touch the stuff unless I'm commentating. Today we had almost 20 new players so I was occupied helping them feel welcome and accommodating any issues they had.

I've actually never posted any of my videos, but I guess they're all obsolete now since the patch. I think this one set I did today is my first time on stream since the patch. Or maybe I played so ****tily I purposely forgot lol

Top Bottom