• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Zelda Social - Still the queen of Smash...and maybe queen of low tier for a decade, too. Shall we make it two?

Are you happy with the Link Between Worlds redesign?

• Yes, she's gorgeous and expressive.

Votes: 265 65.9%
  • No, Breath of the Wild had such potential.

Votes: 56 13.9%
  • No, Twilight Princess death stare Zelda was the best design.

Votes: 45 11.2%
  • I'm happy with any design, just as long as she's viable,

Votes: 36 9.0%

• Total voters

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
I'm still rocking the red palette but the Twilight Princess one turned my head a little

Her new red cape makes me think of Little Red Riding Hood lol

D

Deleted member 189823

Dude I totally missed you were THE Oz from here wtf,it's nice to see you maining Zelda :secretkpop: maybe we can ditto freeplay at a weekly
:B

Si, boludo. La re mainea. Mal. Onda, no te jodo si digo que fué casi toda la razón por la que le di tanta bola al juego...

Last edited by a moderator:

Gay Ginger

Make Smash Bros. Gay Again
Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
I think I actually prefer default Zelda this time around, to be honest. A close second would be the purple Zelda with blond hair, then white Zelda.

Honestly, a lot of her palettes look really good in this game. The worst is probably green though.

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
:B

Si, boludo. La re mainea. Mal. Onda, no te jodo si digo que fué casi toda la razón por la que le di tanta bola al juego...
A mi fue lo que mas me hypeo del juego,los newcomers (menos Daisy y el regreso de Young Link) ni le llegaron a los talones a la felicidad que sentí cuando vi esa Zelda y encima buffeada.

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
I think I actually prefer default Zelda this time around, to be honest. A close second would be the purple Zelda with blond hair, then white Zelda.

Honestly, a lot of her palettes look really good in this game. The worst is probably green though.
Wow ok then you walk in and give the worsT opinion possible! Default is a synonym for BasicT

HotSummer

Smash Rookie
Me right know @ watching you argue about her best palette

Honestly I like all of them (except green because sis you ain’t the deal). Brunette, White, Red and Default/OoT might be my favourites. But they all look great !

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Regarding Zelda's palettes, Zelderly's the only one I like because it does more than slightly change the color of her dress or underdress. I'm not sure what the outer garment is called and if it's just a sleeveless dress, sash, or something else. But I don't play Zelda, so my opinion doesn't matter. :p

At least Zelda's aren't as bad as Cloud's and Ganondorf's. Cloud has lore reasons, but even then, it's kind of disappointing because they're all super bland looking. Ganondorf has like two palettes that almost look the same. His red palette and the one that's apparently based on his appearance in Wind Waker.

Ultimate being less saturated compared to Smash 4 makes Falco's palettes more distinct. He still has his gaudy palettes and arguably the best footwear in the series with Fox stepping up to rival Falco in Ultimate, but now he has some quieter palettes, namely his orange and green ones along with his default palette. So, it's not all up in your face with vibrant colors like in Smash 4. The one thing I wished they did was for his white alt, either make his boots entirely gold or have the grey parts be gold like in Smash 4. I'm pretty sure his white alt is supposed to be a reference to one of the Star Fox Command endings where Falco becomes the new mentor for the next generation where for whatever reason, dude's rocking gold boots that look suspiciously like Captain Falcon's.

Meanwhile with FEH, probably not going to do any more full summons from the New Year's banner. Summoning tickets makes things less expensive, but it doesn't guarantee you'll get anything and these two summons told me I'm probably not going to get anything.
3* Arthur: +Res, -HP.

4* Cain: +Spd, -Atk.

4* Kaze: +Atk, -HP.

3* Seth: +Spd, -HP.

3* Sheena: +HP, -Atk.

4* Beruka: +Atk, -Def.

4* Donnel: +Res, -HP.

3* Olivia: neutral.

3* Setsuna: +Res, -Atk.

4* Sothe: +Atk, -Res.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Been having problems with lag switchers lately, for some reason. Had Bowser doing it yesterday and a Dedede doing it again today. The Dedede, I managed to run into four times and the fourth time, the nearly flawless connection suddenly stuttered hard, whenever he was in disadvantage or when I was trying to recover. He barely managed to win due to an SD, despite me trouncing him all the other times. I already used my one report for the day, on a slideshow Young Link that somehow made it to 2.7, so I just had to block him instead.

Also I noticed that after 6 Up-B recoveries, Zelda no longer snaps to the ledge. I knew this was a thing with tethers in 4, but I didn't know that applied to Zelda's in Ultimate. Is this just a specific thing or does every Up-B recovery do this? Not really a problem. just curious.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Yea you can only grab the ledge a limited number of times now before it forces you not to. Just landing onstage resets it.

I have a present
You are a kween Rickster. It looks strangely convincing when I see it versus just hearing about it.

Questions: what other parts of the Sourspot have you tested with? I see point blank, but does it work if you hit someone while FFing onto them (so like, the underside of the hitboxes) or can you do anything with tipper Sourspot? (I assume no on this) also, do you know if this is airtight, or possibly how airtight?

Also I’m glad I’m not the only one hew noticed that Zelda has a minor window where Jab has enough hitstun (and the correct stun animation) to just barely allow a FW followup.

D

Deleted member 189823

I'm taking a flight to the U.S, tonight. I'm going to be staying in South Florida, for the next two weeks.

Can't say my play is on fire, but I want to go in with a strong mind this time.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
I'm taking a flight to the U.S, tonight. I'm going to be staying in South Florida, for the next two weeks.

Can't say my play is on fire, but I want to go in with a strong mind this time.
Interesting, hope you have fun. Which tournament are you going to? I haven't been keeping with all of that.

D

Deleted member 189823

Interesting, hope you have fun. Which tournament are you going to? I haven't been keeping with all of that.
None recognizable, likely. Don't have the money for it. They're $25-35 entry. I usually attend to the weeklies, which are $5 or so. The ones I went to are pretty stacked, and had 90-100+ people on average in 2016, for Smash 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
None recognizable, likely. Don't have the money for it. They're $25-35 entry. I usually attend to the weeklies, which are $5 or so. The ones I went to are pretty stacked, and had 90-100+ people on average in 2016, for Smash 4.
Gotcha. I haven't been to a tournament before, so don't really know how they work. I'm guessing this likely won't be streamed?

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Yea you can only grab the ledge a limited number of times now before it forces you not to. Just landing onstage resets it.

You are a kween Rickster. It looks strangely convincing when I see it versus just hearing about it.

Questions: what other parts of the Sourspot have you tested with? I see point blank, but does it work if you hit someone while FFing onto them (so like, the underside of the hitboxes) or can you do anything with tipper Sourspot? (I assume no on this) also, do you know if this is airtight, or possibly how airtight?

Also I’m glad I’m not the only one hew noticed that Zelda has a minor window where Jab has enough hitstun (and the correct stun animation) to just barely allow a FW followup.
Unfortunately I haven't lab tested the other flub hitboxes. In theory, I don't see why hitting with the underside (so us being higher from the ground) wouldn't work, but the opponent would need to be at a higher % to maintain the frame advantage. As for the tipper...I'm theorizing no due to them sliding farther away but it might be a thing on fatties

It appears to be pretty airtight; I had to buffer all followups. The new hold button buffer system helps a lot though. I imagine that it becomes more lenient with more % and/or rage due to the increased hitstun (kinda like our old drag down nair combos from Smash 4). I can get soft kick>dsmash pretty reliably in real matches (I have some on my channel if anyone cares) and jab>dsmash is also very common for me. Those are pretty low risk medium reward followups imo. I have yet to try the elevator, but I will try and incorporate it soon

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
tbh Zelda is one of the few characters who has 100% good colors. The iffiest one is her red option because her hair color is just 1 shade away from being too much reddish-stuff going on.

That aside, nice find Rickster Rickster . I'd honestly just prefer a less crap FF Nair and a stronger sourspot for Fair/Bair/Dair tho. With how fast paced the game is, it'll be rare for someone to plant themselves close enough to hit a sourspot combo since Zelda needs to be point blank for most of her combos. Zelda did get buffs, but the buffs overall just translate into her being around the same speed as before when compared to the other characters. Although her aerial game is better, sans Nair, which was her best aerial (and would still be her best aerial if it worked properly and/or had a non-garbage KB angle).

Speaking of how fast paced this game is... They need to nerf aerials or remove mid-air momentum changes. It's just absurd how someone is spamming buttons galore, doing so much in a small span of time, but not actually advancing the match. These heauxes have commitment issues f'real real and not for play play. I though Sakurai wanted matches to be faster, not stall-and-pls-run-into-my-obvious-baits-and-walls-of-aerials. I'm winning most of my Elite Matches by just staring at the tryhards spamspamspam and hitting them with a FSmash or jab wall. I almost feel bad because I'm just stoic and model-ish for most of my matches and the other person is working towards getting carpal tunnel at a young age.

Last edited:

Gay Ginger

Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
Of course it’s streamed, lol.
If you're comfortable, post the stream link here before you play. I'd love to see some of your matches.

If that makes you anxious or puts extra pressure on you to perform, though, don't worry about it.

Wow ok then you walk in and give the worsT opinion possible! Default is a synonym for BasicT
Unlike Melee where Blue Zelda was the most powerful, Basic B***h Zelda is the Supreme in Ultimate :secretkpop:

Last edited:

Aussie1024

"Stow your fear. It's now or never!"
Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
tbh Zelda is one of the few characters who has 100% good colors. The iffiest one is her red option because her hair color is just 1 shade away from being too much reddish-stuff going on.
I'm inclined to agree. All of her colors are pretty solid. The only one I don't truly like is green, but even then it's not too bad. This is probably how I'd rank them:
1. Twilight Princess
2. White
3. Blue
4. Default
5. Black
6. Ocarina
7. Red
8. Green

While I like her design much better in this game than in previous ones, I like how the TP colors are integrated into this design a lot. It works really well for me. I'll rock either of the top 4 pretty evenly though. I love those almost equally, but that's how I'd rank them if I had to.

D

Deleted member 189823

Oh, alright. It seemed like you were talking about a smaller one, so I wasn't sure if they bothered or didn't have the funds/viewership for it.
If you can pack 100 players into a tournament (even if it's a weekly), chances are you can do stuff like that...

If you're comfortable, post the stream link here before you play. I'd love to see some of your matches.

If that makes you anxious or puts extra pressure on you to perform, though, don't worry about it.:/QUOTE]
In a way, it does give me a little preassure, but I think that is just a lesser me speaking. If I expect to be good at something, I can't allow something like this to get in the way.

If I suck, I suck.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
A plant has a chance of being faster than a humanoid bird thing and Zelda.

This was posted on the Ultimate CCI thread: https://twitter.com/_Mizumi/status/1080971781790416896.

People are guessing the third character might be from Dragon Quest. Something about either a character or a class in Dragon Quest being called Brave or translated as brave which would be Yusha or Yuusha where the former is the Arabic form of Joshua and it can mean "God is salvation", "hero", or "brave".

Speaking of DLC characters, I don't think it will happen, but I would kill for Dante from Devil May Cry or Raiden from Metal Gear Solid. Both of them would piss off people with the whole Chrom and Roy destroying everyone thing going on. I could see Dante being essentially Falco with a sword in return for a much lower jump and probably no projectile if they don't let him use Ebony & Ivory. Main reason being Falco's ability to combo and string from a variety of his moves could work to let Dante emulate DMC's gameplay, but in a Smash game. That would definitely piss off people though since you'd have a sword character who'd be able to combo, string, and juggle you to hell and back.

Last edited:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
If I suck, I suck.
Real quote from a real gorl. 10/10 :secretkpop:

Speaking of DLC characters, I don't think it will happen, but I would kill for Dante from Devil May Cry or Raiden from Metal Gear Solid. Both of them would piss off people with the whole Chrom and Roy destroying everyone thing going on. I could see Dante being essentially Falco with a sword in return for a much lower jump and probably no projectile if they don't let him us Ebony & Ivory. Main reason being Falco's ability to combo and string from a variety of his moves could work to let Dante emulate DMC's gameplay, but in a Smash game. That would definitely piss off people though since you'd have a sword character who'd be able to combo, string, and juggle you to hell and back.
I want Dante. He's edgy and hot and we need more of those. :^)

I was really hoping we'd get a Golden Sun boi/gorl. A magic boi/gorl who ISN'T slow or doesn't have weird projectiles would be lovely.

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
If this is a DQ character I'm going to be extremely happy,I'm a huge Dragon Quest fan and I wanted a DQ rep since forever. The thing is that the most sensible character to represent the franchise is the Hero from the third game which is a swordfighter......I hope his moveset is based on his spells or something.

Gay Ginger

Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
Lady Sakutena realized she made Zeldawful too powerful in this game by not making her Bottom Tier, so she is actually going to just add a bunch of cheap-*** sword characters via DLC to put her back in her place. :secretkpop:

Last edited:

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
Have you seen his ult stock icons yet?

Namco literally wouldn't even let them change the color of the pac man symbol lmao
Wait I thought they did that because they realised that they have no idea how they would show the difference between the palettes because the only thing they changed are the gloves and boots (which aren't shown) so they just pulled some stuff out of their ass (although Namco not letting Pacman being a highlighter yellow can be understandable)

But still, massive F for Pacman's potential alts

also why do y'all hate the blue zelda alt it's so pretty lol

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I got nothin cool to say like y'all but I'm def playing Falco in this game he feels MAD nice. Ungh!

Also holy **** how are you doin' Koiba? It's been like, 1-2 years has it been going well?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Apparently, I do not like Lifelight which is remixed for several of SmUsh's music. I don't know, something about it comes off as artificially grand to me. Now that I think about it, I don't like most of Smash's main themes or original music. Also, I'm already sick of seeing Pokemon Stadium 2.

Edit: Y'know what? I'm going to slap this here and I'll talk about it later since it's the middle of the night. The short take on it is that now I know exactly why I'm so biased towards fast fallers in Smash and that for me, there is an alarming trend going on with video games.

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
What's happening FGO fans? :ultlucina:

What's that? You don't like or never heard of FGO?

WHAT HERESY!!

Anyway, played some more Smash Ultimate; and I may end up dropping Doc. While I find him very fun to play, he struggles so damn hard against Sword users. FeelsBadMan.

But at least I'm using Palutena and Lucina who are really good. :secretkpop:

If push comes to shove, I'll find someone else to try out. Oh and personal stuff wise, reading through some University stuff; shouldn't be too bad I guess? Also, I got blocked by someone in Smash Ultimate. :secretkpop:

They blocked me because I was according to them. "Spamming" with Palutena. When I was using Side B to force a ledge option and Neutral B to zone, I did try to return to their Arena a few times, but they would always kick me out, smh. Oh well, guess that means less toxic people to run into. :yeahboi: (He should take it like a man and grow up anyway. :V)

edit: Dammit Smashboards, fix the images again!

Last edited:

Jimbo Jumbo

Smash Rookie
I'm inclined to agree. All of her colors are pretty solid. The only one I don't truly like is green, but even then it's not too bad. This is probably how I'd rank them:
1. Twilight Princess
2. White
3. Blue
4. Default
5. Black
6. Ocarina
7. Red
8. Green

While I like her design much better in this game than in previous ones, I like how the TP colors are integrated into this design a lot. It works really well for me. I'll rock either of the top 4 pretty evenly though. I love those almost equally, but that's how I'd rank them if I had to.
I hopped on this thread to start a conversation about her skins and it was already happening lol

I'm all about the red. Gives her some attitude, and I love the auburn hair. White looks like she's in a night gown, which I can get behind. I play white when I'm feeling a little sleepy. Twilight and black are cool (Zelderly lmfao). Ocarina's too pink for my tastes. I think her hair is blonder with blue and green, which I don't love (generally I'm all about blonde Zelda but not in this game for whatever reason).

Like you said though all her skins are great. I do love her design in other Smash games but this is the best for sure; it's nice that she doesn't look so damn serious for once. I do think a BotW design could've been super good but I'm glad they went with this instead.

Aussie1024

"Stow your fear. It's now or never!"
Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
I hopped on this thread to start a conversation about her skins and it was already happening lol

I'm all about the red. Gives her some attitude, and I love the auburn hair. White looks like she's in a night gown, which I can get behind. I play white when I'm feeling a little sleepy. Twilight and black are cool (Zelderly lmfao). Ocarina's too pink for my tastes. I think her hair is blonder with blue and green, which I don't love (generally I'm all about blonde Zelda but not in this game for whatever reason).

Like you said though all her skins are great. I do love her design in other Smash games but this is the best for sure; it's nice that she doesn't look so damn serious for once. I do think a BotW design could've been super good but I'm glad they went with this instead.
Red will probably move up my rankings sooner than later. I might move it up to fifth now that I think about it. I really like the brunette hair color and the dark red dress color looks sharp. The light purple necklace is a nice touch as well.

White does make her look like she's wearing a night gown. SS Zelda's white dress looked like one in retrospect. I always liked it because it's nice and clean. Very simple but elegant color swap.

I'm not as big a fan of black as most people, but it's still a cool design with the full black dress and purple lining stripes.

The Ocarina color used to be high on my ranking, but it's fallen because it looks to similar to her default color. Other colors just feel superior to it IMO (aside from green). The other colors have a more unique feel for me.

I do agree the LTTP/LBW design is the best one she's had in Smash. I've only played Zelda in Smash overall for two months but I can surely say it's her best one. I never minded TP Zelda in Brawl and Sm4sh, but here she's much more expressive and energetic. She has a cute innocence about her too (Ayumi Fujimura's voice adds to that quite a bit). Honestly, her design is what made me interested in her. It wasn't the entire reason because she looked so fun to play when I watched pre-release gameplay of her. It was a mix of the design and how she played. In retrospect, I've been wanting to use her since Brawl, and given how fun she looked to play, this was the best chance.

I know a lot wanted her to get the BOTW look, but I believe they made the right choice concerning that Zelda is more into researching. Plus this Zelda is such a throwback look. They also wanted to make sure each Zelda character represents a different game in the series, which has worked really well IMO.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero

Me right know @ watching you argue about her best palette

Honestly I like all of them (except green because sis you ain’t the deal). Brunette, White, Red and Default/OoT might be my favourites. But they all look great !
1. Twilight Princess
2. White
3. Blue
4. Default
5. Black
6. Ocarina
7. Red
8. Green

Red will probably move up my rankings sooner than later. I might move it up to fifth now that I think about it. I really like the brunette hair color and the dark red dress color looks sharp. The light purple necklace is a nice touch as well.

White does make her look like she's wearing a night gown. SS Zelda's white dress looked like one in retrospect. I always liked it because it's nice and clean. Very simple but elegant color swap.

I'm not as big a fan of black as most people, but it's still a cool design with the full black dress and purple lining stripes.

The Ocarina color used to be high on my ranking, but it's fallen because it looks to similar to her default color. Other colors just feel superior to it IMO (aside from green). The other colors have a more unique feel for me.

I do agree the LTTP/LBW design is the best one she's had in Smash. I've only played Zelda in Smash overall for two months but I can surely say it's her best one. I never minded TP Zelda in Brawl and Sm4sh, but here she's much more expressive and energetic. She has a cute innocence about her too (Ayumi Fujimura's voice adds to that quite a bit). Honestly, her design is what made me interested in her. It wasn't the entire reason because she looked so fun to play when I watched pre-release gameplay of her. It was a mix of the design and how she played. In retrospect, I've been wanting to use her since Brawl, and given how fun she looked to play, this was the best chance.

I know a lot wanted her to get the BOTW look, but I believe they made the right choice concerning that Zelda is more into researching. Plus this Zelda is such a throwback look. They also wanted to make sure each Zelda character represents a different game in the series, which has worked really well IMO.
I see ya'll coming for my green Zelda. See me in smash sisterns :v

McKnightlíght

NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
Blue is the best because of the matching blue necklace. All the other palettes have ugly clashing colors for jewelry. If they all matched then they would be tied as the best skin with exceptions.

Current Ranking:

SSS: Blue

S:Green, OoT, Red, White

C: Zelderly, Brunette weave

FFFFFF: Default

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I like listening to the weird music-y things YouTube recommends to me. Mostly because they're basically random. So here's today's rando music thing:

WE
FLUTE
GORLS
NOW

I got nothin cool to say like y'all but I'm def playing Falco in this game he feels MAD nice. Ungh!

Also holy **** how are you doin' Koiba? It's been like, 1-2 years has it been going well?
Any character with lengthy hitbox Nair/Fairs or drag downs are pretty much top tier this game. Since aerials are the main go to during most situations. His reflector is probably the best of the Spacies too.

Also, unlike Zelda's whirly-twirly attack, Falco's attack sends people at a lower angle than Zelda's, resulting in sooner KOs with multiple hitboxes to catch-and-throw. Oh and his actually links semi-properly and has enough hitstun to not suck. :^)

I like Falco too, though. He can kind of play like Zelda in the sense that he doesn't have to empty-spam just to catch people off guard and his direct attacks have the same reach as hers. He can harass from afar if he really wants to. And he has off-stage harassing tools (WHIRLY BIIIIIRD 60% KO GOGOGO or SideB insta dunk). His moveset is pretty much "Zelda. But if she was not bad and didn't have Phantom." He's kind of a mean-sassy boi too so that's cool.

Anyway, played some more Smash Ultimate; and I may end up dropping Doc. While I find him very fun to play, he struggles so damn hard against Sword users. FeelsBadMan.

But at least I'm using Palutena and Lucina who are really good. :secretkpop:

If push comes to shove, I'll find someone else to try out. Oh and personal stuff wise, reading through some University stuff; shouldn't be too bad I guess? Also, I got blocked by someone in Smash Ultimate. :secretkpop:

They blocked me because I was according to them. "Spamming" with Palutena. When I was using Side B to force a ledge option and Neutral B to zone, I did try to return to their Arena a few times, but they would always kick me out, smh. Oh well, guess that means less toxic people to run into. :yeahboi: (He should take it like a man and grow up anyway. :V)
Palutena isn't even the best spammer. Her moves are all laggy and she has a hard time forcing them to be where they should be since they're set angles/distances during the cast time, but they can't be reflected so it evens out. They must've been real bad if they thought her "spam" was considered problematic.

Though I am not a fan of the actual-pure-spammies, since they feel very anti-climactic to fight.

McKnightlíght

NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
Anyone else notice how big Zelda's head is? JigglyZelda called her a bobble head waifu

Arwon

Smash Apprentice
Anyone else notice how big Zelda's head is? JigglyZelda called her a bobble head waifu
On the other hand, look at her compared to Rosalina...

Also, a question: I just activated Elite Smash with Zelda, is there any way to play regular Quickplay with other characters now? Seems kind of weird to lock that out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom