• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Morning girls. How's everyone doing? :4zelda:

Waiting for my score to come through for my University work. I'm rather nervous on what it'll be. (I'm hoping to get around a 70)

Also, I feel the urge to play a Tales game again since I've listened to Fighting of the Spirit again. Either Symphonia or maybe if I can find the PSP port of Tales of Eternia, since that was my first Tales of game (I'd love it if the SNES version of Phantasia was on the VC. Please Namco. :c)

Last edited:

ElderLolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Matze97
The Pokémon anime was never really something that was well-cohered, why is everyone surprised that the finale is a massive let-down

They turned Greninja into a DBZ character, do we need to say more

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord
I'm...honestly alright with the Charizard part of that battle. With all the crazy OP stuff Ash's Charizard has gotten away with over the years, having some other Charizard do things half as impressive as what Ash's Charizard routinely does (Taking out half of Gary's team, for example, including a Golem and Blastoise) made at least some amount of sense.

But what in Zelda's name was that Goodra fight?

Last edited:

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
Remember to feed me a balanced diet of poffins and Piplups so I may become big and strong.

I don't want to ask where yew got that.
The Pokémon anime was never really something that was well-cohered, why is everyone surprised that the finale is a massive let-down

They turned Greninja into a DBZ character, do we need to say more
What do you mean by turning Greninja into a DBZ character? What did they do to him
Also, while we're on the subject of the pokemon anime

ElderLolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Matze97
What do you mean by turning Greninja into a DBZ character? What did they do to him
Well first off, his design.

While I do get behind the idea of Ash creating a great bond to his Pokémon and all that stuff, turning Greninja into a literal deviantart OC (and it's appropriate this time around, it's a Greninja with some of Ash's features and... water on his back?). Not necessarily part of the DBZ thing, but Ash having a unique Pokémon like that because they have a great bond feels like such a shoe-horn-in that it's not even funny. It's literally what a kindergarten kid would come up with like "My Greninja is better and looks different because we're great friends and it's super strong!". And of course, when it has it's fanfiction form, it also gains new attacks, which brings me to the whole DBZ argument.

Now look, I'm not someone that followed the anime to understand everything 100%, but from what I gathered I heard that "Ash-Greninja" has super attacks which look like that. Spirit bomb shuriken and Krillin's disc thing. I don't know if other Pokémon do that kind of stuff, but from a surface level this just looks silly. And not even the "haha, oh man!" kind of silly, more the "oh god why" kind of silly.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
You have to admit, the animation of the Pokemon anime has definitely improved.

I should try the XY anime. Since I've heard good things about it. Aside from the obvious Ash-Greninja fusion, and Ash losing another league. Even though he won the Orange League and the Frontier League. :V

ElderLolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Matze97
I don't watch an anime just because the animation is good. Looking back at it and looking at how it turned out now by seeing a few things from the newer seasons, it still looks like the whole show is repetitive and mediocre.

The only animes I did watch were One Punch Man and currently JoJo's Bizarre Adventure up until now, I doubt that'll change anytime soon, maybe I'll look into HunterXHunter

Last edited:

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord
literal deviantart OC (and it's appropriate this time around, it's a Greninja with some of Ash's features and... water on his back?).

You have to admit, the animation of the Pokemon anime has definitely improved.
They changed animators when X&Y started to the studio that did the Pokemon: Origins OVA series.

While the writing is still pokemon-tiered, the action scenes are certainly aesthetically pleasing.

The only animes I did watch were One Punch Man and currently JoJo's Bizarre Adventure up until now, I doubt that'll change anytime soon, maybe I'll look into HunterXHunter
How is Jojo as an anime? I read it a few years ago but have been hesitant to pick up the anime.

In other news, reviews for Metroid: Federation Force are...not actually terrible. :surprised:

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'll be honest though, I really don't like Ash-greninja. It's weird and also kind of freaks me out. I'd hate to say it, but I've actually gotta agree with ElderLolz on this one. Ash-Greninja really does look like a Deviantart OC stereotype.

ElderLolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Matze97
I'll be honest though, I really don't like Ash-greninja. It's weird and also kind of freaks me out. I'd hate to say it, but I've actually gotta agree with ElderLolz on this one. Ash-Greninja really does look like a Deviantart OC stereotype.
Not sure if you hate agreeing with me or agreeing with the fact that it's a DA Stereotype :secretkpop:

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord
Also sort of invalidates all his other relationships. What made his bond with Greninja so special compared to Pikachu for instance?

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
Well first off, his design.

While I do get behind the idea of Ash creating a great bond to his Pokémon and all that stuff, turning Greninja into a literal deviantart OC (and it's appropriate this time around, it's a Greninja with some of Ash's features and... water on his back?). Not necessarily part of the DBZ thing, but Ash having a unique Pokémon like that because they have a great bond feels like such a shoe-horn-in that it's not even funny. It's literally what a kindergarten kid would come up with like "My Greninja is better and looks different because we're great friends and it's super strong!". And of course, when it has it's fanfiction form, it also gains new attacks, which brings me to the whole DBZ argument.

Now look, I'm not someone that followed the anime to understand everything 100%, but from what I gathered I heard that "Ash-Greninja" has super attacks which look like that. Spirit bomb shuriken and Krillin's disc thing. I don't know if other Pokémon do that kind of stuff, but from a surface level this just looks silly. And not even the "haha, oh man!" kind of silly, more the "oh god why" kind of silly.
That's... terrible. They're literally copying DBZ. You cannot deny that. Also the design is embarrassingly deviantart, as you mentioned.
In other news, reviews for Metroid: Federation Force are...not actually terrible. :surprised:
Not surprising actually. People are annoyed about the game not because of the game itself, it the fact this is what they're using to commemorate Metroids 30th anniversary, and it's the first Metroid game in years. So a spin-off was not the right choice.

ElderLolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Matze97
The whole beef with Federation Force is essentially "It's not Metroid!"

bad metroid game =/= bad game in general, same applies for Other M, it's a questionable Metroid game, but not a bad game at all.

How is Jojo as an anime? I read it a few years ago but have been hesitant to pick up the anime.
Finally replying to this, JoJo as an anime is very well done. If you liked the manga, you'll like the anime.

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Speaking of JoJo. I need to catch up on Stardust Crusaders, I've put that on hold since Episode 3. Since I've got other shows on my list due to Crunchyroll. Like Golden Time, Handa-kun (Even though this one is Funimation only), Ace Attorney, ReLIFE, Flying Witch, etc.

ElderLolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Matze97
Speaking of JoJo. I need to catch up on Stardust Crusaders, I've put that on hold since Episode 3. Since I've got other shows on my list due to Crunchyroll. Like Golden Time, Handa-kun (Even though this one is Funimation only), Ace Attorney, ReLIFE, Flying Witch, etc.
Did you at least watch Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency before?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Not sure if you hate agreeing with me or agreeing with the fact that it's a DA Stereotype :secretkpop:
Don't worry, it's the latter. Sorry if that came out wrong.

Indirect personal attacks aren't really my thing.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
The whole beef with Federation Force is essentially "It's not Metroid!"

bad metroid game =/= bad game in general, same applies for Other M, it's a questionable Metroid game, but not a bad game at all.
I entirely disagree with you.
Other M was terrible. It took one of Nintendo's most bad*** characters and turned her into a sniveling child. The game didn't take advantage of the Wii's superior technology. Metroid Prime for the Game Cube had huge environments that people loved; OtherM used 'hallway' levels. It also artificially lengthened the game with forced walking sections and (more arguably) detective mode. The story was terrible (what was the deal with the traitor? Was he just a faceless squad member thrown in for no reason?). The art style looked like a comic book as opposed to the immersive sci-fi environments of the Prime series. The whole game was mediocre at best in a series known for it's quality (this is a big downside of MPFF too).

Nintendo's current generation of intellectual property, with a few exceptions, has been mediocre, party style rather than hard core games that take advantage of the improved technology. The LoZ series got Triforce Heroes but also ALBWorlds and Breath of the Wild. Metroid's been going downhill with no improvements since MP3. The problem fans have with MPFF is that this is the bar Nintendo has set for one of their (previously) best, most immersive, graphically quality, and hard core series. Look at MP1 which was on the freaking Gamecube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJsyOSC_oTw
It looks freaking good. Fantastic lighting, particle effects, great environmental detail with plants, stone/metal, texture mapping, weather, realistic alien creatures/plants: it's like you're behind the visor exploring the planet as Samus. This was in 2002. But now in 2016 this is the "best" they can do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L7moeWarhw

ElderLolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Matze97
I'm not saying Other M is a good Metroid game, dear god no, for a Metroid game it's a shame. But if it was a different IP I'd say it would be okay.An okay game, butnot an okay metroid game.

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
I think Metroid is a pretty cool guy.

Eh kills aliens and doesn't afraid of anything.

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord
That's... terrible. They're literally copying DBZ. You cannot deny that. Also the design is embarrassingly deviantart, as you mentioned.
Technically, they're only copying DBZ if the Krillin Disc thing never actually hits it's target.

If something related to Krillin ever ended up being useful, then it would be original. :secretkpop:

It was so strong that Ash got turned into a Pikachu for a whole episode instead
Its not even lunch and I think I've had enough interwebs for today.

Also, never search for "Ashachu" without a safety filter on.

Finally replying to this, JoJo as an anime is very well done. If you liked the manga, you'll like the anime.
I think I'll start watching with Diamond is Unbreakable and maybe work my way back, then.

Jojo, when in color, has always been a very vibrant series.

Take Jotaro for instance. This is one of the color schemes he had going on in Part 3 of the manga, if not a bit subdued due to the picture quality:

vs what he looks like in the anime (though apparently they colored him up at some point?):

The colors are just...dull, blacks and whites and greys and pastels. Regardless of how the artist's style changed over the decades, his specific use of color is as distinctive as everything else in any particular arc. The various openings, endings, and video games all inherently understood that which is why I like them so much, but the show itself just never seemed to get there before.

Part 4 is the first one that really looks like Jojo to me, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Funnily enough. Metroid Other M was my second Metroid game, my first being Prime 3. I stopped when I escaped from that station in MP3 early on in the game. And in Other M, I stopped after I defeated M.B. (Though I was just firing randomly and the game didn't tell me I could do the damn Super Bomb technique. > : C)

ElderLolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Matze97
Technically, they're only copying DBZ if the Krillin Disc thing never actually hits it's target.

If something related to Krillin ever ended up being useful, then it would be original. :secretkpop:

Its not even lunch and I think I've had enough interwebs for today.

Also, never search for "Ashachu" without a safety filter on.

I think I'll start watching with Diamond is Unbreakable and maybe work my way back, then.

Jojo, when in color, has always been a very vibrant series.

Take Jotaro for instance. This is one of the color schemes he had going on in Part 3 of the manga, if not a bit subdued due to the picture quality:

vs what he looks like in the anime (though apparently they colored him up at some point?):

The colors are just...dull, blacks and whites and greys and pastels. Regardless of how the artist's style changed over the decades, his specific use of color is as distinctive as everything else in any particular arc. The various openings, endings, and video games all inherently understood that which is why I like them so much, but the show itself just never seemed to get there before.

Part 4 is the first one that really looks like Jojo to me, if that makes sense.
How much of JoJo did you read so far? Because I would suggest watching the first three parts before starting with Diamond is Unbreakable if you didn't read up until Part 4. Lot's of spoilers and stuff.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Later today. I'll probably post those replays and cut them down. The replays I'm referring to is KO'ing Bayo at 50% on Omega Pilotwings from an UAir with Corrin. And KO'ing Puff with Bayo by just hitting with the first hit of her 2nd Witch Twist. :V

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I decided to download the Smash Brothers documentary and now my computer is on fire

wat do

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord
The LoZ series got Triforce Heroes but also ALBWorlds and Breath of the Wild.
Don't forget to add Hyrule Warriors to that list. I'm still amazed at how much fun I have with that game and it's 3DS port given all the time I've sunk into it.

Nintendo's current generation of intellectual property, with a few exceptions, has been mediocre, party style rather than hard core games that take advantage of the improved technology.
Well, how wide spread are you defining "party style"?

Cause Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, and Super Smash Bros 4 can all technically fall under that descriptor given their co-op nature. Those were all incredibly good 1st party console games.

Pikmin 3, while not really my favorite, was certainly not mediocre, and Splatoon is a massive hit, as is Super Mario Maker. I also personally loved Xenoblade Chronicles X.

In terms of their tried and true plat formers, their 1st party IPs on the console have also been incredibly polished, such as DK: Tropical Freeze and Yoshi's Wooly World. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse has some design philosophy problems (i.e., making a beautiful claymation world, then having the player spend the entire game looking at the 480p gamepad. All they needed to do was add a replay button after finishing the level to just watch it, but I digress), but it was still a well made successor to the original DS game.

Some of their party games have been mediocre, yes (Mario Party, Mario Tennis U, etc)...but those have been mediocre for quite a few generations now. The console Animal Crossing game was a bizarre choice and I still have no interest in the Star Fox game, but eh. That's really not a bad ratio.

Then if we look at the 3DS games, the ratio is even better because of how many more games there are. Relative duds like the 3DS Mario Tennis don't carry near as much weight with seemingly four to five good games to counter balance them.

How much of JoJo did you read so far? Because I would suggest watching the first three parts before starting with Diamond is Unbreakable if you didn't read up until Part 4. Lot's of spoilers and stuff.
I read up to about half of Part 4 before the scan quality got too bad for me to continue, and have a well worn copy of "Rohan at the Louvre" on my book case.

Last edited:

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
I kinda want to watch Jojo now.
I actually decided that I wanted to watch OPM again after January where I ditched it to let it create new episodes, but all the sites I went to have it still at episode 12.
Dafuq?!

ElderLolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Matze97
Before any of you wonder about Crabrawler not having water typing, it's based on a coconut crab

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
I hope they introduce new ways to evolve Pokemon like they did in X and Y

Evolving Inkay by turning your 3DS upside-down while it levels up was super cool

Top Bottom