• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
So I just discovered that a couple characters got actual walk and run speed increases.

Those characters were Lucario and MewTwo.
you forgot our boyo
the poyo
Preeeeetty sure everyone who isn't a die hard FE fan was as well.
real FE fan here, not excited for corrin. you're looking for the weab FE fans

Last edited:

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
My first one was I believe was (I forgot the name of it. But it featured that one girl with the bird, and it was on the Wii).
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. It was my first FE game too. It's also where :4myfriends:'s design is taken from.

I wish it wasn't my first fe game since it spoiled Path of Radiance for me being the sequel to it and all, but I still managed to enjoy it anyway.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I feel like that Corrin should have been revealed like say, 2 weeks before Fates' release in the US since Bayonetta's also being released in February. Why? 'Cause it hypes up Fates. It's like, "WHOA! Corrin's going to be in Smash too? Cool, I get to play Fates and play as Corrin in Smash!", rather than revealing her now, angering some fans who feel like she "wasted a slot" and that the developers are biased to Fire Emblem. Having her revealed closer to the release of Fates would probably have lessened the backlash as she would be perceived as just promotion rather than a shoe-in, an example of bias, promotion, and a wasted slot. It would even lessen further if they did a pre-order bonus like, "Pre-order Fates and get Corrin free for Smash Wii U and 3DS."

Otherwise, I've nothing against Corrin, but I feel like her reveal was done way too early and in a time where people expected something else. I like her aspect as a partial transformation character - don't particularly like the animations or her transformation form, but whatever.

It'd be hilarious if Wolf was actually in Smash, but they kept him for a "secret" March release because that's supposedly when Star Fox Wii U will be released. If it's true, then it would make sense rather than spoiling what Wolf would look like months before the game's even out. Grasping at straws, but if that's true, then why didn't they do that for Corrin? Seriously, we know what she looks like, but this early? I feel like they dropped the ball with this and Corrin's taking a lot of flack for it.

In other news: Ffamran's slowly being seduced by Bayonetta... again. :p

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
I feel like that Corrin should have been revealed like say, 2 weeks before Fates' release in the US since Bayonetta's also being released in February. Why? 'Cause it hypes up Fates. It's like, "WHOA! Corrin's going to be in Smash too? Cool, I get to play Fates and play as Corrin in Smash!", rather than revealing her now, angering some fans who feel like she "wasted" a slot" and that the developers are biased to Fire Emblem. Having her revealed closer to the release of Fates would probably have lessened the backlash as she would be perceived as just promotion rather than a shoe-in, an example of bias, promotion, and a wasted slot. It would even lessen further if they did a pre-order bonus like, "Pre-order Fates and get Corrin free for Smash Wii U and 3DS."

Otherwise, I've nothing against Corrin, but I feel like her reveal was done way too early and in a time where people expected something else. I like her aspect as a partial transformation character - don't particularly like the animations or her transformation form, but whatever. Also, some of her animations are kind of weird...

It'd be hilarious if Wolf was actually in Smash, but they kept him for a "secret" March release because that's supposedly when Star Fox Wii U will be released. If it's true, then it would make sense rather than spoiling what Wolf would look like months before the game's even out. Grasping at straws, but if that's true, then why didn't they do that for Corrin? Seriously, we know what she looks like, but this early? I feel like they dropped the ball with this and Corrin's taking a lot of flack for it.

In other news: Ffamran's slowly being seduced by Bayonetta... again. :p
honestly they don't need to worry about selling fates, the pre order numbers and Japanese sales are high enough it points to a strong release in the US
furretdollfin.gif

Last edited:

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
Then again, who actually got excited for Wii Fit trai- PUT YOUR HAND DOWN.
Can I be allowed to raise my hand? I mean... my avatar and main. I should be allowed.
Also it's Wii Fit Trainer not Wii Fit trainer THIS IS THE ZELDA SOCIAL WHERE EVERY T MUST BE CAPITALIZED FOR EXTRA SASST

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
honestly they don't need to worry about selling fates, the pre order numbers and Japanese sales are high enough it points to a strong release in the US
You can always squeeze out some more money... Entice the non-believers. :p

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Just had to update my Security Software.

I'd be up for getting Fates. Since I do like the Fire Emblem series, not a big die hard fan of it. But I do enjoy the series.

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
So after the first of the year I'll stop being a human...

I'll be on 2nd shift :////

The only upside is that I'll actually be able to play with @Rizen again.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
When the FE cutscene thing started playing at the beginning of the announcement, I was just like, "no????"

and then the girl with the huge pigtails talked and i was like, "NO."

and then they announced that foot fetish pokemon water robin was joining smash

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
I'll let you gorls know I'll be going to a tourney this coming Saturday~. Since it's gonna be at my university, I'll definitely have wi-fi so I can link it to you all when I'm there. Some highlights for this tourney you all need to look out for, IF there's a stream, include:

- BAN•ZELDA (doing doubles Zelda with my bro)
- THREE ZERO SKILL SPAMUS MONEY MATCHES FROM ME
- One :4zelda: vs BUFFED :4mewtwo: money match rippp
- Commentary from yours truly

I'll also be opening up a room on wifi at around 3:30PST if anyone wants to help me practice~

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Can I be allowed to raise my hand? I mean... my avatar and main. I should be allowed.
Also it's Wii Fit Trainer not Wii Fit trainer THIS IS THE ZELDA SOCIAL WHERE EVERY T MUST BE CAPITALIZED FOR EXTRA SASST
Then shouldn't it be Wii FiT Trainer? :smirk:

Gay Ginger

Make Smash Bros. Gay Again
Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
Study: White people react to Evidence of White Privilege by Claiming Greater Personal Hardships (click link for full article)

Some excerpts (emphasis mine):

“Despite this reality, policy makers and power brokers continue to debate whether racial privilege even exists and whether to address such inequity,” the researchers noted. “One reason for this inaction might be an unwillingness among Whites to acknowledge racial privilege — acknowledgment that may be difficult given that Whites are motivated to believe that meritocratic systems and personal virtues determine life outcomes.”
Subjects in the study were separated into two groups. The group that was shown evidence of white privilege “claimed more hardships than those not exposed to evidence of privilege,” the study found.

A second experiment suggested “that people claim more life hardships in response to evidence of in-group privilege because such information is threatening to their sense of self.” Researchers observed that whites who read self-affirming statements before completing the survey claimed less hardships, and they found that self-affirmations could actually reverse the denial of white privilege.

“Furthermore, Whites’ claims of life hardships mediated their denials of personal privilege, supporting our hypothesis that hardship claims help people deny they personally benefit from privilege — that White privilege extends to themselves,” Phillips and Lowery wrote. “Importantly, these denials of personal privilege were in turn associated with diminished support for affirmative action policies — policies that could help alleviate racial inequity.”

Researchers recommended that efforts to reduce racial inequalities also include the education of advantaged populations.

“Our work suggests that privilege reduction efforts might need to focus not only on convincing or educating advantaged group members about privilege, but also on reducing the feelings of self-threat this information induces,” Phillips and Lowery explained. “The existence of hardships does not reduce racial privilege, since racial privilege entails comparison to someone of a different race with equivalent hardships. People may erroneously think privilege entails complete ease in life and that the presence of any hardships denotes an absence of privilege.”

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
bayonetta is too sexualized omfg they have NO RESPECT FOR WOMEN!!!!! THEY AREN'T JUST TOOLS TO PLEASE YOU STUPID STRAIGHT WHITE MALE CIS MEN!!!!!

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
bayonetta is too sexualized omfg they have NO RESPECT FOR WOMEN!!!!! THEY AREN'T JUST TOOLS TO PLEASE YOU STUPID STRAIGHT WHITE MALE CIS MEN!!!!!
Speaking of which, I now want to see Anita Sarkeesian flip out more than an olympic gymnast.

Gay Ginger

Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
What's your opinion of Bayonetta, Ginger sis?
I haven't played either of her games, and I don't really know all that much about her.

I don't like her weird body proportions, or that the camera zooms in on her snatch for no reason, though lol. From what I've seen, I don't think she's a positive female character.

McKnightlíght

NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
I haven't played either of her games, and I don't really know all that much about her.

I don't like her weird body proportions, or that the camera zooms in on her snatch for no reason, though lol. From what I've seen, I don't think she's a positive female character.
Because of her accent?

Gay Ginger

Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
You can joke about it and pretend to be "feminazi" but the Gaming Community really doesn't take sexual objectification of women seriously.

Female characters are often sexualized in a manner the male characters are not, and it is almost always so (presumed) straight male players can enjoy the "view."

Does that mean you're not allowed to enjoy the game or like the character? No, of course not. But gamers should have enough maturity to recognize that when games literally pan to a female character's boobs, butt, and vagina (or let's the player fondle them with the 3DS stylus -- I'm looking at you, FE) that women are being needlessly sexualized.

Am I super offended by Bayonetta? No. But I don't like the way women are often portrayed or used in video games.

Because of her accent?
Exactly.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788

Bayonetta is great. She's a woman who isn't afraid so show her sexuality, and I think that's a great for young woman to learn.

Bayonetta is strong, she's independent and doesn't need anyone, and she's sexy.

The weird proportions thing is just the art style of the games. They actually normalized her proportions quite a bit in Smash. She's gigantic in her own games, and she's not even the tallest person in them.

And it's not even like they're pandering to straight men or anything. The whole is to be so over-the-top with her sexuality that it's humorous. It's not meant to be sexy per se.

Also, if you were unaware, she was designed by a woman.

Last edited:

Gay Ginger

Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
Bayonetta is great. She's a woman who isn't afraid so show her sexuality, and I think that's a great for young woman to learn.

The weird proportions thing is just the art style of the games. They actually normalized her proportions quite a bit in Smash. She's gigantic in her own games, and she's not even the tallest person in them.

And it's not even like they're pandering to straight men or anything. The whole is to be so over-the-top with her sexuality that it's humorous. It's not meant to be sexy per se.

Bayonetta could very well have some very redeeming qualities, but that doesn't necessarily mean she's not also sexualized.

I haven't played the games, so maybe Bayonetta isn't pandering to straight men -- I don't know the tone of the game -- but I have a hard time believing that. I don't think a lot of women gamers would find it empowering to see a bunch of gratuitous crotch/a** shots. And if they're meant to be so over-the-top it's humorous, I find it even less likely it's empowering women.

But it would be better to ask some women who've played the game how they feel about it, because as I said, I don't know the tone of the game, so I don't have a strong opinion about Bayonetta.

I didn't know she was designed by a woman, but that's not really relevant.

But if this is in response to what I wrote in my second post about (presumed) straight male players, I was talking more generally about women in video games, and not just Bayonetta. Extremely revealing and impractical outfits, boob physics, etc are common in video games, and I don't think these are positive things.

Last edited:

McKnightlíght

NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
On a lighter note. Next Tuesday I'm leading a Christmas song service for a bunch of people in jail. Should be pretty sweet tbh.

Actually, I'm not sure if that is a lighter subject or not, it involves convicts AND religion.

Gay Ginger

Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
On a lighter note. Next Tuesday I'm leading a Christmas song service for a bunch of people in jail. Should be pretty sweet tbh.

Actually, I'm not sure if that is a lighter subject or not, it involves convicts AND religion.
The YMCA I work at told me I had to teach my 5-6 year-olds in the after-school program 2 Christmas songs to sing to senior citizens at a nursing home, so we've been practicing for 2 weeks. We were supposed to go there tomorrow, but I just found out today that the idea was scrapped over a week ago. I love the communication from management :)

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968

Thiis omg. I saw screenshots on Tumblr of people on Twitter saying Bayo's inclusion in Smash is "gross". I don't get it, do these people even play her games? The big thing about Bayonetta is not just her sexuality, but the fact that she OWNS her sexuality. She kicks ass and does what she wants to. Many modern feminists call for women being able to show their bodies how they want to, and that's exactly what Bayo's doing, but they don't see that and just see her on the surface, so they blame the developers for sexualizing her just for the male audience. And it's not like all males like her just for her body or whatever. Most I've seen emphasize that they like her character above all else.

Edit: Most of her incredibly sexual scenes are confined to the Prologues, and are meant as gags. After that there aren't too many over-the-top scenes.

Last edited:

McKnightlíght

NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
The YMCA I work at told me I had to teach my 5-6 year-olds in the after-school program 2 Christmas songs to sing to senior citizens at a nursing home, so we've been practicing for 2 weeks. We were supposed to go there tomorrow, but I just found out today that the idea was scrapped over a week ago. I love the communication from management :)
Which songs?

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Bayonetta is one of my favorite female characters because she really doesn't give a damn about what people think of her and just does her own thing while keeping a very lovable sassy personality. The sexual stuff she does in her games are so over-the-top that they become really funny, and that's coming from someone who really doesn't like seeing fanservice like that.

But I also like her because even with all her sass she can show that she's a really sweet person as well. She's not just fanservice, she has a personality beyond just it as well and she's a very sympathetic character.

I really only played her game because it looked really funny but what really hooked me up was seeing how Bayonetta's character developed. Me and my sister are both really hype about her inclusion in Smash and my sister is also gonna make sure to buy her amiibo when it comes out.

Gay Ginger

Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
Someone interviewed some women game designers and/or gamers about what their thoughts about Bayonetta are. Their opinions were varied, as expected, but it's an interesting read.

Many of them liked certain aspects about Bayonetta, or found certain aspects empowering, while disliking others.

http://www.negativeworld.org/featur...-bayonetta-franchise-part-1-of-2#.VnNuzfkrLIU

http://www.negativeworld.org/featur...-bayonetta-franchise-part-2-of-2#.VnNwYfkrLIU

(There are two parts)

Which songs?
Rudolphe the Red-nosed Reindeer and Frosty the Snowman

Last edited:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Aaah I can't wait for her amiibo!

I got the Bayonetta 2 + 1 for Christmas last year, mostly because of the bundle. I didn't want to play 2 without playing the first, so I'm glad they ported it! I played through both games in less than a week, and I fell in love with Bayonetta's character. She's so sassy and badass and just awesome in every way. I didn't vote for anyone in the ballot to avoid getting my hopes up, and I recently picked Bayo 2 back up in order to 100% it. Her reveal was the first to make me genuinely freak out about a character, and honestly, if she hadn't been put in, I probably would've quit this game. But I'm definitely sticking around for a while now. <3

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
The irony when Bayonetta wears more than ZSS. :p

Because of Hideki Kamiya's part in creating Devil May Cry and Dante and doing the same for Bayonetta, I feel like they were parallels. DMC was campy with DMC3 being really campy, so Dante felt like the coolest, but also the lamest protagonist. He was funny, he was cheesy, and he was awesome; he was as much of what a hero would seem like, but also what a parody of a hero would be. Dante being the gung-ho, flippant, too cool for rules sort of hero was kind of what 80's? heroes, predominantly male, were stereotyped as. Him being part-demon was like other heroes being (part-)some badass race just so they could be more badass. Bayonetta's in a similar vein where she was sexy, seductive, erotic - how many more words can I use that also mean sexy!? -, but while being all those things, she was on the extreme, parodying female heroes who wore skimpy clothing like the original Lara Croft, who somehow got stronger when wearing less like the whole chainmail bikini trope, and who were sexualized where even "innocent" ladies like Peach, Rosalina - dear lord, no more! -, Samus, and Zelda were subject to. Similarly, Bayonetta being a witch was also like a parody of witchcraft or whatever where apparently orgies, obscene rituals, and other unmentionable stuff was performed. For Bayonetta? Her hair clothing has to power her magic. That means she gets sexier which for whatever reason probably comes from the whole sex is evil thing and related to the witchcraft stuff. Oh, and lots of her finisher attack things were BDSM-like. So, might as well make fun of all that too.

That's the idea: that Devil May Cry and Bayonetta are over-the-top, wacky, insane, crazy, parodic, and not to be taken seriously. When people point out how Bayonetta's an example of sexualization of women, I laugh. You're pointing out a character from a game where almost nothing should be taken seriously. Want a better example? Take Tifa, take pre-reboot Lara Croft, take Samus, take Morrigan, or hell, take random NPC #12188943 from some random game. Those are better examples of sexualization of women; characters from "serious" games versus characters from silly games would make for better arguments. Granted, they might have never played the game or don't know anything other than the cover art, some snippets of gameplay where Bayonetta is shown "undressing" for her powerful attacks.

My problem with Bayonetta isn't her or the game, but the humor and focus. For Bayonetta, lots of innuendos are used which I don't really care for and didn't find funny or amusing. It got boring and irritating after a while which is a shame since I loved the combat - makes sense since it's basically Devil May Cry: Gender Bender Edition. Oh, and QTEs in general can rot in hell. DMC felt like cheesy kung fu movies where everything was over-the-top, there were insane martial art moves, and stuff was just action-y for the sake of action... Well, DMC3 and 3 were while DMC1 was more like a campy superhero show: "I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with LIIIII-GHT!"

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
im not going to read that huge wot from Ffamran Ffamran but i think he's agreeing so I'll like his post

edit: maybe i should reapply as a moderator

Last edited:

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla
and who were sexualized where even "innocent" ladies like Peach, Rosalina - dear lord, no more! -, Samus, and Zelda were subject to.
Zelda def hasn't been sexualized -fanart excluding (because that applies to literally every character)- where'd you get that from?

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Hey, anyone want to play in about half an hour? McKnightlíght McKnightlíght , if you're available, I'd like to make you a first priority since I have no experience against an Ike main but would like to learn (partially since I kind of want to learn the character myself, heh). But if not I'm up to play anyone else.

Top Bottom