• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Zelda Patch and Changes Discussion Thread

CasMat

Smash Cadet
Around 40ish to 70ish% sounds right. Which character?
Mario. Internet is telling me 73% for 3DS? Is that outdated or different for Wii U? I stayed away from the side blast zone as much as possible when testing.

SM Mystic

Smash Cadet
NNID
MagicMissile6969
3DS FC
3093-7612-8482
Mario. Internet is telling me 73% for 3DS? Is that outdated or different for Wii U? I stayed away from the side blast zone as much as possible when testing.
If it's Mario, then yeah, that's normal. It also depends on where you hit the 2nd hit. If it was on her head, it's bound to kill at least 90% of the time. I would look on Kurogane Hammer though for actual data.

Last edited:

Uncertain Title

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3238-9292
Sadly, I haven't noticed anything different with her. I've kinda gotten to the point where I'm hoping there's some tech we're missing. Something that has made Sakarai decide she was good enough to be left alone. I mean, Melee has been out for a while and we're still discovering tech for it.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
3DS has larger blast zones.

64% is normal for elevator on WiiU with no DI involved.

Heaven forbid Sakurai thinks THAT is what should be buffed.

Rebel13

Banned via Warnings
So @Sammi Husky on smashboards here thinks he found the mysterious change to Zelda. It is.......wait for it......

An animation change to her final smash.

I'll let this speak for itself

No wonder we couldn't find it.........

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Yup, just saw that too.

Tbh now I need to know what it looks like. It probably isn't even a visible change lmao.

Basically Zelda wasn't changed gorls. Yew can all move along and find yourself a tourney viable main now :secretkpop:

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

tldr: Wow. XD oh wellz.

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
So @Sammi Husky on smashboards here thinks he found the mysterious change to Zelda. It is.......wait for it......

An animation change to her final smash.

I'll let this speak for itself

No wonder we couldn't find it.........
L
O
L
Tfw you have to use humor to hide your depression

That's a MASSIVE slap in the face. Holy ****.

Naxtoof

Smash Rookie
Everyone, I Found a huge change in Zelda,

Her sweet spot fair and dair now do 1% less damage, going from 21% to 20%.
This is an outrage and we should riot.

Last edited:

buzzard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BuzzardU
Everyone, I Found a huge change in Zelda,

Her sweet spot fair and dair now do 1% less damage, going from 21% to 20%.
This is an outrage and we should riot.
20% is the normal damage for fair and bair sweetspots. They do 21% with fresh bonus.

Zelda hasn't changed at all.

Bakagabby

Smash Rookie
Wow...
I've been checking back obsessively, poring over all of the Zelda posts. Nothing REALLY? Jeez. I guess I'm done. :/
There were so many buffs this patch, too.....
/sadnessoverwhelming

emuemuman

Smash Rookie
Welp, guess I won't be going back to Zelda after all. Time to run my new appreciation for Waifu Corrin to the bank I guess :(

Valamway

Smash Apprentice
NNID
i38VWi
Wait, it's not insanity if I wait to see if there's another balance patch before summer is it?

I... I don't want a new main.
I break top 10 at tournies with Zelda and Gunner, but I'll never win one without picking a new character.
Even if full-special Miis become legal, guest-size 3312 Gunner is only higherish mid-tier potentially.

So I need a high/top pick main now?
How do I even do that?
I don't really like anyone in the top 20 of the cast.
I need help gorls, but again I'm borderline derailing the thread...
Someone PM me or something.

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
People have been acting like this was going to be the last patch or something. IDK where that came from...? Probably because these are the last DLC characters?

I wanna say there was some article suggesting Sakurai was gonna stop soon. IDK what it said exactly though.

I mean, come on. Just look at the buffs Marth got. Damage on all aerials, several frames of endlag on 4 or so ground moves cut, range increases on a few moves...

And this was after he got landing lag buffs on all aerials.

And like, several adjustments to his side B.

Marth is so much clearly better than Zelda.

If Sakurai doesn't even consider taking action, (especially if sees at all what the competitive scene is doing/sees that tier list with Zelda viable for her own bottom tier) IDK what he could possibly be thinking as to why he isn't helping her, Jiggs, Paletuna, or Samus...

Last edited:

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
People have been acting like this was going to be the last patch or something. IDK where that came from...? Probably because these are the last DLC characters?

I wanna say there was some article suggesting Sakurai was gonna stop soon. IDK what it said exactly though.

I mean, come on. Just look at the buffs Marth got. Damage on all aerials, several frames of endlag on 4 or so ground moves cut, range increases on a few moves...

And this was after he got landing lag buffs on all aerials.

And like, several adjustments to his side B.

Marth is so much clearly better than Zelda.

If Sakurai doesn't even consider taking action, (especially if sees at all what the competitive scene is doing/sees that tier list with Zelda viable for her own bottom tier) IDK what he could possibly be thinking as to why he isn't helping her, Jiggs, Paletuna, or Samus...
Lucina at this point is also much clearly better too. I honestly think at this point that Zelda's only better than Puff, Doc, Shulk, Ganon, and Samus.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Lucina at this point is also much clearly better too. I honestly think at this point that Zelda's only better than Puff, Doc, Shulk, Ganon, and Samus.
Zelda is worse than all those listed. She honestly deserves her own tier gorl.

Zelda's weaknesses eclipse her "strengths" which are killing and "dealing damage" she has four of the worst moves in the game, gets comboed, dies fast, has shulk levels of lag, bad startup, worst range in the game, a really bad grab, no combos (easy ones anyway) and even her best kills pale in comparison to faster characters with little weaknesses.

Puff has good qualities even though she is somewhat void. I'd say she is second worst, but even puff can throw out moves and has some good combos.

Ganon actually does what Zelda should be doing: killing and doing damage. Also ganon lives longer, even the best characters can get beat by a few lucky hits.

Doc is actually really good, it is a misconception to say he is bottom. He is a worse version of Mario but is very similar and Mario is high tier.

Shulk may have the worst frame data, but he has some kind of a neutral with his range and speed. Monado arts help a lot.

Samus may be bad, but she has a lot going for her, namely one of the beat projectiles in the game. She also has good spacing tools, an optimized punish game, some good combos and a great spike.

What does Zelda have? Moves that get beat out by everything because the weak jits go out first, moves that require you to be inside people to connect, moves that are some of the hardest reads in the game but aren't *that* rewarding...

None of this matters, I still play my gorl.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Random mini poll about something because reasons

If Dsmash were getting a 3F endlag reduction, and you could choose between

• Hitbox size increases (range increase)
• KB increases (Making it a relevant KO move, like Brawl Dsmash)

As an additional buff. (Only one of those)

Which would you prefer?

Zolda

Smash Cadet
NNID
carcanet
I noticed that d smash actually hits enemies on the ledge now. It never worked for me pre patch so that's why I'm bringing it up.

Valamway

Smash Apprentice
NNID
i38VWi
I noticed that d smash actually hits enemies on the ledge now. It never worked for me pre patch so that's why I'm bringing it up.
It depends on the enemy, and the exact spacing of it.
Nothing relevant changed this patch. At all.

Which would you prefer?
If we could keep the angle, then definitely an increase to knockback.
Preferably both base and growth.

The angle it sends at could set up for kills on poor recoveries at mid percents, or set up for dairs offstage on better recoveries.
Then it would be an actual kill move at high percents.

One of Zelda's biggest problems is that she has no options on opponents at mid percents; her very low percent combos are great and she has many options for killing at high percents with various punishes.
If she had more things to do and follow up on at mid percents, then she wouldn't actually need a kill confirm; she'd be a mixup character that can threaten punishes at a range of percents.
And I think adding to her intimidation factor would be great, since it's already something she has going on for her.

Last edited:

Zolda

Smash Cadet
NNID
carcanet
It depends on the enemy, and the exact spacing of it.
Nothing relevant changed this patch. At all.

If we could keep the angle, then definitely an increase to knockback.
Preferably both base and growth.

The angle it sends at could set up for kills on poor recoveries at mid percents, or set up for dairs offstage on better recoveries.
Then it would be an actual kill move at high percents.

One of Zelda's biggest problems is that she has no options on opponents at mid percents; her very low percent combos are great and she has many options for killing at high percents with various punishes.
If she had more things to do and follow up on at mid percents, then she wouldn't actually need a kill confirm; she'd be a mixup character that can threaten punishes at a range of percents.
And I think adding to her intimidation factor would be great, since it's already something she has going on for her.
I think the only one it doesn't hit is Ganon.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Just remembering some random 1.1.4 Dtilt range tests I did earlier. I accidentally did Dsmash every now and then, it its hitboxes' sizes were definitely not increased.

I mean, as you all probably know, Dsmash always had a negative y-axis hit zone, albeit pretty small.

Dtilt's negative y-axis hit zone is actually lower and larger. That's why it can interrupt a Rosaliba up B ledge snap decently.

Last edited:

buzzard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BuzzardU

Which would you prefer?
Hard to say really, I find myself missing many times because of the tiny range, but at the same time I sometimes hit my opponents at like 160 and they still live...

Probably KB increase, I think that it would be better than when I actually hit with it, it would KO.

Last edited:

Fuj¡netta 2

Banned via Warnings

Which would you prefer?
Give it brawl d smash range back imo.
With the intangible priority too (unless thats still in but smaller. idk I don't use ha)

The sooner you gerls just accept that Sakurai hates Zeldawful and that she's doomed to be terrible, the better off you will all be.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
The best part is I can't tell the difference between her 'old' final smash and her 'New' one lmfao2thegrave.

Fuj¡netta 2

Banned via Warnings
Which was more of a slap in the face?
The 0.7 u tilt buff or this final smash buff/change?

I can't decide.

Last edited:

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman
I'd pick the range increase on Dsmash. I'm tired of reading a roll or getting it out faster than my opponent only to whiff it because they're more than one micron away from me.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029

Which would you prefer?
Probably the range, and getting the intangibility back would be even better. I think it's better suited as a utility move for Smash 4 Zelda since she already has power.

Which was more of a slap in the face?
The 0.7 u tilt buff or this final smash buff/change?

I can't decide.
Final Smash. I mean we tested and tested for that mysterious small change...only to find out it was a visual change...to a move that's completely irrelevant in competitive play. Meanwhile Marth and Roy buffs LOL.

Also hi Fujin :secretkpop:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
If Dsmash got the leg intangibility back it probably wouldn't actually need the range increase.

SM Mystic

Smash Cadet
NNID
MagicMissile6969
3DS FC
3093-7612-8482
I still have at least a tiny bit of hope for another balance patch, but a crapton of doubt. Oh well, time to edit my profile.

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman
The best guess is that she'd be balanced with the other Princesses or Femme Fatales, since she's not grouped with the Zelda crew for reasons that I'm sure are both good and sensible.

buzzard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BuzzardU
Speaking of leg intangibility, Falco got it for his usmash in the last update (plus extra power)

Guess Zelda's final smash change made her too op

:secretkpop:

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman
Lucina is a Princess.
Lucina is not grouped with the princesses for reasons that I'm sure are both good and sensible. Oh yeah, because she's a Marth clone. So she's grouped with Marth, and Marth is not grouped with the princesses for reasons that escape me.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
seriously
SERIOUSSSLY
The mystery change was a visual change to the only move I use less than Din's??

I am actually OFFENDED. This is worse than no change. It means Sakurai looked at Zelda and decided the top priority at this time was her Final Smash being ever so slightly prettier.

buT I can't say I'm too surprised. At some point my optimism from some of the previous patches vanished long ago.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
seriously
SERIOUSSSLY
The mystery change was a visual change to the only move I use less than Din's??

I am actually OFFENDED. This is worse than no change. It means Sakurai looked at Zelda and decided the top priority at this time was her Final Smash being ever so slightly prettier.

buT I can't say I'm too surprised. At some point my optimism from some of the previous patches vanished long ago.
I think this happened to Captain Falcon too... Someone else got random changes to their animation or Final Smash and I think it was Captain Falcon.

Top Bottom