• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Zelda Patch and Changes Discussion Thread

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
So i get from this discussion pretty much what we have been able to determine for every charcter: bc shieldstun increased, any stupid ridonk strong move Zelda got is pretty much safe on shield. So, in theory, fastfall bair, one pixel off the ground should have enough kb to keep us in control, amirite? (and fsmash, but yeah, we been chidori'ing forever)

...sounds a little lackluster.

Any of us ladies considered the nair options against an opponent shielding on a platform? sounds like with proper timing and/or placement, we can whittle down shield? or even potentially Heaven Kick of F-air them, ON their shield, and push them off said platform, leading to jab reset?

its a stretch, but cmon sisters, Zelda is literally all about conforming to crappy conditions
i don't think we can really Nair shield pressure that well even with the extra shield stun because Zelda still has bad landing lag and the move last a long time. like i'm sure we can rough up a shield but it would require them to be afraid and stay in it to get a serious shield pressure scare

Valamway

Smash Apprentice
NNID
i38VWi
i don't think we can really Nair shield pressure that well even with the extra shield stun because Zelda still has bad landing lag and the move last a long time. like i'm sure we can rough up a shield but it would require them to be afraid and stay in it to get a serious shield pressure scare
He said on an opponent on a platform, and a fullhop nair autocancels on platforms.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
1.11 Impressions:
  • F-smash is incredible now...definitely one of Zelda's most important spacing moves and kill moves.
  • Jab and D-tilt are also safer spacing moves
  • F-tilt isn't safe on block as I'd hoped it would be, but it's mostly used for quick punishes anyway so no biggie.
  • I've been getting punished for most of my sweetspot LKs on shield. Perhaps it's the online lag or me not spacing correctly, but it doesn't seem safe on shield against most of the cast.
  • Sweetspot d-air is safe enough against certain characters to not get punished
  • Customs: Naryu's Passion is much more usable now, but still mostly outclassed by the other neutral Bs (especially default)
EDIT: Mistaken on d-air. Should have omitted that :/

Last edited:

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
1.11 Impressions:
  • F-smash is incredible now...definitely one of Zelda's most important spacing moves and kill moves.
  • F-tilt isn't safe on block as I'd hoped it would be, but it's mostly used for quick punishes anyway so no biggie.
  • I've been getting punished for most of my sweetspot LKs on shield. Perhaps it's the online lag or me not spacing correctly, but it doesn't seem safe on shield against most of the cast.
  • Customs: Naryu's Passion is much more usable now, but still mostly outclassed by the other neutral Bs (especially default)
Speaking of default, think it is a good shield finisher? Does it keep people locked?

Valamway

Smash Apprentice
NNID
i38VWi
Speaking of default, think it is a good shield finisher? Does it keep people locked?
If I remember right, the re-hit rate is four frames...
So I think if your opponent tries to buffer a natural OoS option, they get out of their shield and start taking the hits.
So, like it's always been.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
So, like it's always been.

This is not the sort of thing I like to hear when it comes to Zelda. I thought she was my best option before. (Got me better results than my Marth). But this patch she feels worse in comparison to everyone else.

I pray for buffs.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
1.11 Impressions:
wai-wai-wait, sweetspot dair is safe on shield now? are you kidding? that literally doesnt make sense if a retreating fair isnt.

Valamway

Smash Apprentice
NNID
i38VWi
wai-wai-wait, sweetspot dair is safe on shield now? are you kidding? that literally doesnt make sense if a retreating fair isnt.
You can't autocancel fair, no matter how you space it.
But it seems pretty safe to me if you space it right.
Dair is better not autocanceled anyway, and it's only decently safe.

KarmaCastle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KarmaCastle
1.11 Impressions:
  • Sweetspot d-air is safe enough against certain characters to not get punishe

I have to contest this.

You can ask @CPU 3 or @Suicidal_Donuts (if he survives the flood in his house) I love dairing on stage. Even if it's stupid and bad and I get punished. It's a bizarre habit I have but I can't break.

This leads to getting a lot of sweet spot dairs, only to get grabbed or punished hardcore afterwards.

It depends on the angle it hits the shield and Zelda's momentum. If the Dair Sweetspot hits juuuust right, it slides the target a whee bit left or right. If it hits directly, it's a guaranteed punish. 50/50 if it's a small slide. 30/70 if it's a decent slide.

Trust me. I love Dair and it's ingrained to my playstyle to the point of stupidity.

I've had a lot of practice and seen a lot of Sweetspot dairs get punished, even after this patch. ;^;

Wiimas123

Smash Apprentice
Like something someone said earlier, her walking and running speed should be faster. Also Din's fire should not put you into freefall, Phantom Slash should go full screen, and less lag on a lot of her moves like Din's fire. Did I mention Din's fire?

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
You can't autocancel fair, no matter how you space it.
But it seems pretty safe to me if you space it right.
Dair is better not autocanceled anyway, and it's only decently safe.
Arent all of our aerials' autocancel frames 1-3? (except nair)

Last edited:

Valamway

Smash Apprentice
NNID
i38VWi
Arent all of our aerials' autocancel frames 1-3? (except nair)
Dair can AC frame 40, which is conveniently also the amount of time it takes to do a short hop.
But for safety on shield, it's much better to FFdair.
I personally prefer full hopping to bait a shield, then FFfairing it.
Seems safer than dair.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
Dair can AC frame 40, which is conveniently also the amount of time it takes to do a short hop.
But for safety on shield, it's much better to FFdair.
I personally prefer full hopping to bait a shield, then FFfairing it.
Seems safer than dair.
that makes sense, thx, didnt know that.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, popping in to say that any fully charged variation of DownB can still be rolled/dodged out of after blocking the first hit. This includes Phantom Strike which does the most damage. I was looking forward to getting some shield breaks with fully charged Phantom Breaker, too...

Also I'm all ears if anyone can make Nayru's Rejection sound useful.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Yeah, they couldn't manage to make the shield changes fix Phantom slash... :\ I guess we'll just stick with Strike.

Also I'm all ears if anyone can make Nayru's Rejection sound useful.
No one can.

It's completely worthless.

The only thing it 'has' over Love is a longer intangibility window. (Something like 7-17 for Rejection and 5-12 for Love.) But in return you lose the range, damage, hit duration, reflect duration, and knockback, of Nayru's Love. All of which combined are more useful than a few frames longer intagibility and a turning effect. :smirk:

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Yeah, they couldn't manage to make the shield changes fix Phantom slash... :\ I guess we'll just stick with Strike.

No one can.

It's completely worthless.

The only thing it 'has' over Love is a longer intangibility window. (Something like 7-17 for Rejection and 5-12 for Love.) But in return you lose the range, damage, hit duration, reflect duration, and knockback, of Nayru's Love. All of which combined are more useful than a few frames longer intagibility and a turning effect. :smirk:
Maybe if the intangibility frames and the first active hitbox frames overlapped, then maybe it'd be better since it'd beat everything. For now, Rejection is bad.

Squall may be better than Wind though. Since the elevator is almost a thing of the past due to DI and shieldstun changes, maybe Squall is better.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
View attachment 77684
Gorl...thing of the past? Come on now.
People are learning to DI the elevator and it's very hard to get it oos. It's better to use JC usmash oos because you won't get punished as hard for missing it.

Squall does still have things going for it. Frame 1 windbox to escape some strings and rapid jabs. Gimping is a use. Possibly OOS and to escape bad situations. It also seems hard to gimp due to the windbox pushing the char away from the ledge when they try to hit you in the 2 frames.

The endlag and duration was buffed last patch too.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
People are learning to DI the elevator and it's very hard to get it oos. It's better to use JC usmash oos because you won't get punished as hard for missing it.
You just have to be able to react to DI or hit 1 misses for FW. Basically if you mess up the elevator you can instead choose to then escape by teleportation. If you mess up Usmash you're a 30-50F sitting duck.

One of the core things a Zelda should try to be good at is reacting to someone while using FW.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I use FW after down tilt grab mix ups. I'll do two or three in a row often, and either grab or Nayru's. or Shield to grab again. But some will try to air dodge your 2nd or 3rd dtilt and that's when you use it.

FW is a very useful tool with her double jump still. That momentum allows you to jump and start it imediately out of hitstun to space for a counter attack.

If you get hit to the right and Up, double jump to the right and start as you jump and direct FW right back at them. IT's super quick but perfect when used once or twice per match. Or set, even.

You just can't reveal all your tricks in the first match. And as Zelda, its hard not to. I throw out Phantom like crazy.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Posting this in designated thread.
I looked up on the Patch Note changes on the SSBWiki.

Apparently, Zelda got a damage buff for the loop for Nayru's Love. And she travels further from doing the Elevator after a Midair Jump.

And Phantom Slash's damage got reduced from 26 → 24.

I can't say for sure about Nayru's damage buff and distance buff. I'll need to further test this.
Is this true???

If it is Im going to punch a wall and drop Zelda immediately not even gonna wait till February

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Posting this in designated thread.

Is this true???

If it is Im going to punch a wall and drop Zelda immediately not even gonna wait till February
It is.

Zelda's Neutral B now does 11% instead of 8%, each hit aside from the final hit does an extra 1% of damage. Elevator has increased distance if used after a midair jump. And I checked the Phantom Slash in-game. And it does do 24% instead of 26%.

The Elevator does feel like it travels further now from that.

buzzard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BuzzardU
Nayru's Love already did 11% max damage if I recall correctly.

I don't know what that means for the eleveator is it good, bad, changes nothing?

The nerf to phantom however....

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
It is.

Zelda's Neutral B now does 11% instead of 8%, each hit aside from the final hit does an extra 1% of damage. Elevator has increased distance if used after a midair jump. And I checked the Phantom Slash in-game. And it does do 24% instead of 26%.

The Elevator does feel like it travels further now from that.
Great. One useless buff and an equally meaningless nerf.

I wonder why they didn't find these changes in the character files though. Perhaps there are more useless buffs we haven't discovered yet?

Edit: yeah Im also prettu sure Nayru's did more than 8 damage before.

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Great. One useless buff and an equally meaningless nerf.

I wonder why they didn't find these changes in the character files though. Perhaps there are more useless buffs we haven't discovered yet?

Edit: yeah Im also prettu sure Nayru's did more than 8 damage before.
Yeah, seems like Zelda got the short straw from these buffs.

Most likely seem like Nayru's Love was unchanged, I did check the Wiki earlier today; so it may get changed to fit with the proper changes. Seems like Ganon, Bowser, Shulk and Mewtwo got some good benefits from the buffs.

buzzard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BuzzardU
Also I'm pretty sure that Phantom was doing 24.8% damage at full charge already...

Last edited:

Rebel13

Banned via Warnings
So I've been messing around in training mode (which I almost never do) and I am wondering a few things now.

1. Could you always double jump after FH Fair/Bair?
2. Can anyone confirm if phantom has less endlag, to compensate for reduced damage?
3. Can anyone confirm if Nyaru's also seems has less endlag? (though I suspect this one is just placebo.)

I'm still kinda upset Zelda didn't get anything more out of this patch :(

Valamway

Smash Apprentice
NNID
i38VWi
Questions
There are literally zero changes confirmed, and no damage or hitbox changes period.
So,
1. Yes, you could.
2. Phantom might have less endlag; I haven't seen anyone claim to have tested it. HOWEVER, it deals the same amount of damage it did last patch.
3. Nayru's endlag may have changed a bit (see answer 1), but I think it's unlikely since they did not change the damage of it or of anything.

Don't spread misinformation kids.

buzzard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BuzzardU
Nothing changed at all.
So I've been messing around in training mode (which I almost never do) and I am wondering a few things now.

1. Could you always double jump after FH Fair/Bair?
2. Can anyone confirm if phantom has less endlag, to compensate for reduced damage?
3. Can anyone confirm if Nyaru's also seems has less endlag? (though I suspect this one is just placebo.)

I'm still kinda upset Zelda didn't get anything more out of this patch :(
No changes there.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Most of the time people who edit smash wiki are complete idiots and the work there always needs to be verified.

Fairy Fountain is up to date too and has the info. The good sistren buzzard buzzard is noT being fooled <3

Nayru's always did 11%, (and always COULD DO LESS.)

No FW distance changes,

No Phantom damage nerf.

These are like, the most placebo alarm-sounding changes I've ever heard SMH.

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
I'm blaming all of you for not getting buffs.

Obvs somebody didn't sacrifice enough Phantoms to Sakurai SMH
secretkpop

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Sorry sistren for perpetuating placebo "buffs".

The placebo changes were so bad it might as well have been no changes anyway

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Have you seen the patch changes on her SmashWiki page? They have nonsense like "Farore's make you jump higher when combined with a jump" and "Din's Fire travel speed increased".

Are we so desperate we have to resort to...that?

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Are we so desperate we have to resort to...that?
Yes.

Every patch it feels like Din's gets faster but that's because it's so awful our memory of it is a slow moving taunt and then we're mildly surprised when it's slightly faster than a turtle (a turtle being Robin, who I love <3)

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
It looks like we'll be on the watch for Zelda buffs any changes along with the release of Bayonetta and Corrin.

This is your daily reminder that I'll infract people for making threads to talk about patch changes here. :secretkpop:

Last edited:

Valamway

Smash Apprentice
NNID
i38VWi
C'mon SoccerGuy!
This might be our last chance, or maybe penultimate.

At this point, I'd take anything.

Top Bottom