• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Zelda Patch and Changes Discussion Thread

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
I'd love for a sweetspot kick to not be -20 on block.

They probably won't touch Kicks though. Besides, I don't think that would really help us in the long run. It's not like we're spamming Kicks all the time.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452

They probably won't touch Kicks though. Besides, I don't think that would really help us in the long run. It's not like we're spamming Kicks all the time.
They haven't touched the kicks since release. I guess they figure it's balanced as a risk/reward scenario right now. Problem is, it takes up two aerial spots and Zelda doesn't really have a safe aerial to throw out, unlike Captain Falcon who also has an aerial sweetspot move.

I always hated how it took up two spots. I always thought it should've taken up one and have the other just be a weaker, but safer kick.

Last edited:

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo

Maybe we should nerf jab to be -20 on shield so her moves can be consistent?
:^)

Valamway

Smash Apprentice
NNID
i38VWi
As useful as being able to store Phantom would be, I don't think it's realistic to hope for such a big change to that move.
The 0% hitbox being added was already a huge change considering the normal scope of the patches.
Being able to cancel the charge animation with a shield action would be so amazing though... even if it didn't store or save the charge.

I would love to see them touch the startup on jab and/or the endlag on dtilt; we need a better poke.

Some kind of safe aerial would be great, but I don't see how it could happen, so I'm hoping for an improvement to throws.
Better dthrow for combos, better bthrow for kills, better fthrow for damage, or better uthrow for setups.
I know those are the functions they already serve, but I'll take any improvements to their utilities I can.

But...
Let us not speak of the possibility...
That Soccerguy might...
Nerf Zelda...

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot Din's Fire.
If they improve the frame data of that move significantly, then they could even forgo any other changes and I would be so happy.
Hell, they can even nerf the sweetspot again; just give me better frames!

Last edited:

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Increase Fsmash endlag by 20 frames
And why in the hell should Zelda receive such a crippling nerf?

Anywho, She needs better frame data all around.

I want the ten second timer on phantom to be reduced by half or taken away entirely. If I can't store the damn thing why should I be given an eternity before I can reuse the only half useful move that is still pretty punishable?

Dins fire to not put me into freefall or dins fire to have endlag reduced dramatically. Either or, both is not necessary. (Or even to be given flat kill power no matter how far it's traveled, that **** is dumb; the further dins goes the easier it is to dodge).

Hitbox increases on Nair, Ftilt, Usmash, and Utilt. I don't think this is unreasonable animation wise. Just put more lightning around the original size. Ftilt's increase is to remove the deadzone.

Teleport startup or endlag reduced. This would make me able to have more fun :)

Better Dthrow so we can get some reward from grabs.

Pretty much what we all want, better Zelda.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
And why in the hell should Zelda receive such a crippling nerf?

Anywho, She needs better frame data all around.

I want the ten second timer on phantom to be reduced by half or taken away entirely. If I can't store the damn thing why should I be given an eternity before I can reuse the only half useful move that is still pretty punishable?

Dins fire to not put me into freefall or dins fire to have endlag reduced dramatically. Either or, both is not necessary. (Or even to be given flat kill power no matter how far it's traveled, that **** is dumb; the further dins goes the easier it is to dodge).

Hitbox increases on Nair, Ftilt, Usmash, and Utilt. I don't think this is unreasonable animation wise. Just put more lightning around the original size. Ftilt's increase is to remove the deadzone.

Teleport startup or endlag reduced. This would make me able to have more fun :)

Better Dthrow so we can get some reward from grabs.

Pretty much what we all want, better Zelda.
oh lol I mean decrease also tldr

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
im glad, pretty much everything im seeing people want for Zelda is about the same as what i want:

Dins fire > no free fall
phantom to just not be bad, in some capcity
and all her pokes to be more effective.
it would be nice if she had more effective throws,
and if nair had more hitstun.

Even though we're mostly joking about this being a prayer circle, I've sacrificed all professional high-tier mains to water Hylia's alter with the blood of the unrighteouss, im pretty sure our buff is set in stone. and if its not we'll learn some crazy thing Zelda can do, we're smart.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Phantom needs less endlag. We commit 40+ frames minimum for a move that does 6% with low KB. Like...the walling capabilities and stuff don't make up for this amount of end lag. If it got a big endlag decrease (I'm talking like...-7 frames from now or something) it could have a lot more uses.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
Phantom needs less endlag. We commit 40+ frames minimum for a move that does 6% with low KB. Like...the walling capabilities and stuff don't make up for this amount of end lag. If it got a big endlag decrease (I'm talking like...-7 frames from now or something) it could have a lot more uses.
i agree totally, PS has, in all cases proven to be less effective than almost any other option in my arsenal. the ONLY time its been viable is as covering get up options. if it had legit follow upsbecause of little end lag, that would axtually be cool. imagine phantoms second charge attack carrying them offstage into a perfectly placed lightning kick. that teammwork. Rosaluma would learn something from us

Last edited:

Valamway

Smash Apprentice
NNID
i38VWi
Do we have any idea when the patch will go live?
I can't remember when the last one came out, but I think it was late at night here for me.
Or will it just come out at a random time on the 30th?

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Oh wait.

I just realized the 47 frame endlag was after release.

Pressing DownB actually makes you commit to 67 frames.

That's even worse :secretkpop:
I'm in a pessimistic mood rn ok

Crudedude

Smash Cadet
Another fast start up move. It becomes predictable that your best move to punish a fast move is your naryu's love which we can't follow up on. I'm starting to find ftilt to be very useful but the move can be very punishing that the payoff isn't worth it. So I hope that ftilt becomes a fast move. Buff her damage output or give more kill power. At times I feel like it takes too long to reach the point where I can finish off my opponent which is really bad for a character with very little approach. Phantom buffs.
My hopes for zelda that may never come:
-No free fall din's
-better farore's wind recovery
-less lag for lightning kick
-better damage and knock back for sourspot on lightning kick

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
Another fast start up move. It becomes predictable that your best move to punish a fast move is your naryu's love which we can't follow up on. I'm starting to find ftilt to be very useful but the move can be very punishing that the payoff isn't worth it. So I hope that ftilt becomes a fast move. Buff her damage output or give more kill power. At times I feel like it takes too long to reach the point where I can finish off my opponent which is really bad for a character with very little approach. Phantom buffs.
My hopes for zelda that may never come:
-No free fall din's
-better farore's wind recovery
-less lag for lightning kick
-better damage and knock back for sourspot on lightning kick
i agree with all those wishes except the lightnig kick: we're so presise, Nayru never expects us to miss! now, if the buff the sweetspot for earlier kills, im all for that.

Valamway

Smash Apprentice
NNID
i38VWi
Pressing DownB actually makes you commit to 67 frames.
We are the only character that can tap a button and be unable to take offensive action for over 1.1 seconds because we're waiting for a point-blank reflectable sword-swing projectile minion to spawn and deal 6% to anyone who happens to be asleep at the controller right in front of us.

All other stuck-in-place high-lag moves in this game (Ganon utilt, Lucas usmash, etc.) are also insanely strong...
Poor Zelda, she's a glass canon that only occasionally shoots cannonballs.

Crudele

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xbulsajawnx
Would gladly take:

+ Reliable kill throw (if ness can kill at 90% by the ledge, why can't we)
+ Slightly less landing lag on nair
+ The ability to DI at all after FW endlag
+ Storable phantom
+ Quicker jab
+ Anything I can get

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
You know, I'm not a particularly religious man, but holy **** I'm praying for these buffs like it's some kind of judgement day.

Nayru, send us your love through Sakurai.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
I would like:
Slightly stronger Bthrow
Much better Dins
Slightly less end lag on Phantom
Maybe a few frames less end lag on nyrules loves?
Less landing lag on Nair
Increase auto-cancel window on Dair

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Don't mind me. Just here to pray.

I promise to eat all my Mashed Potatoes mister Samurai

Amen

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Don't mind me. Just here to pray.

I promise to eat all my Mashed Potatoes mister Samurai

Amen
SysT I hope you aren't suggesting yew don't eat your mash potatoes...
Seriously they are delicious omai

Some things I wouldn't mind seeing in patchland:

• A KB improvement on Dsmash, simply put. Maybe a hitbox improvement too.

• Ftilt blindspot fix. This is an easy fix tbh, and Sakurai usually addresses at least one move "glitch" every balance patch for Zelda.
[1.0.6] Fsmash connects far better.
[1.0.8] Usmash connects far better.
[1.1.0] Jab connects far better AND Phantom's point-blank blindspot was almost completely removed.
Now Zorldo is out of multi-hits to fix, so let's move onto other problems like Ftilt blindspot pls.

• Maybe some sort of frame data improvement to Ftilt. Something like either 2F off the startup, or 3F off the endlag. Having one of those implemented would at least make her Ftilt on par with some other characters imo.

• Some sort of KB increase on sour-spot LKs. The easy answer would be a raw damage increase. Hex they could nerf it to 3% of that's what it took for it to get a safe on hit KB buff.

I honestly don't care that much about no freefall Din's Fire anymore, considering the move is overall terrible. It wouldn't really mean as much as we would wish for the move. Sheik's side B design existing has probably set the Din's freefall design in stone anyways.

Last edited:

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
SysT I hope you aren't suggesting yew don't eat your mash potatoes...
Seriously they are delicious omai

Some things I wouldn't mind seeing in patchland:

• A KB improvement on Dsmash, simply put. Maybe a hitbox improvement too.

• Ftilt blindspot fix. This is an easy fix tbh, and Sakurai usually addresses at least one move "glitch" every balance patch for Zelda.
[1.0.6] Fsmash connects far better.
[1.0.8] Usmash connects far better.
[1.1.0] Jab connects far better AND Phantom's point-blank blindspot was almost completely removed.
Now Zorldo is out of multi-hits to fix, so let's move onto other problems like Ftilt blindspot pls.

• Maybe some sort of frame data improvement to Ftilt. Something like either 2F off the startup, or 3F off the endlag. Having one of those implemented would at least make her Ftilt on par with some other characters imo.

• Some sort of KB increase on sour-spot LKs. The easy answer would be a raw damage increase. Hex they could nerf it to 3% of that's what it took for it to get a safe on hit KB buff.

I honestly don't care that much about no freefall Din's Fire anymore, considering the move is overall terrible. It wouldn't really mean as much as we would wish for the move. Sheik's side B design existing has probably set the Din's freefall design in stone anyways.
I love mashed potatoes and now Sakutena knows I do. He knows right? My prayers aren't falling on deaf ears right?

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
I hope they keep nerfing Din's so they'll feel obligated to give us a buff :^)

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Wow I had lost interest in Smash for a while but now ZELDA BROKEN BUFF BANWORTHY PATCH PRAYER CIRCLE?!?!?! I can never escape from Zelda smh :secretkpop:

What I'd like to see most for Zelda is a damage (hitstun) increase and slight knowback growth decrease to dthrow so stuff can always combo into it. It'd be nice if dtilt also got more hitstun so dtilt > uair is a reliable kill combo instead of making you look dumb when you miss :^)

Crudedude

Smash Cadet
Just wondering how many people would be ok if Zelda, if she ever gets a dramatic buff, that rockets her into mid tier or higher would drop all their wishes and say "Ok, I'll stop complaining about fixing Zelda's other issues." Tbh I can see myself doing that... until the next series if it will ever be made.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
I'll be happy when we can finally surpass Melee Zelda's ranking.

Like she's clearly the worst designed and most incomplete Zelda yet she's the highest placing version. How even

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I'll be happy when we can finally surpass Melee Zelda's ranking.

Like she's clearly the worst designed and most incomplete Zelda yet she's the highest placing version. How even
Actually as of recent, lots of people have been really down placing Zelda in Melee, iirc, like, bottom 3-5. Depending on where you're looking SSB4 Zelda arguably has a better viability perception.

Either way both are Zelda, so... :secretkpop:

Patch goes through, Sakurai buffs Farore's wind
I'm calling it first. KB buff for FW2 :secretkpop:

Marusero

Smash Rookie
NNID
Puzormarcelo
3DS FC
4811-8183-4279
Buff on Farore's Wind - Now elevator kills Rosalina at 10% with full rage

jk

I'd like to see a change on:

- Down throw (Making it combo to Nair more often / maybe to lightning kicks at like mid %)
- Jab (Make it faster to make out neutral slightly better)
- Phantom (A storable phantom would be awesome)
- Down tilt (More guaranteed follow-ups?)
- Nayru's Love (Less ending lag)

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
List of buffs Zelda needs
-Make Sass-walk autocancel (As stated in the social).
-Lower the BKB and endlag on down taunt so it can link into Din's Failure Suicide more frequently.
-Make Din's Failure explode 30 frames after the animation starts, regardless of how long it was held for. To compensate for this *!!AMAZING!!* buff, the hitbox on it is now the size of Zelda's ring finger.
-To fix people DIing out of FW1, FW2 should be removed and be replaced with FW3. It instantly kills anyone that gets hit by FW1, but if the opponent moves at all, EVEN IF THEY BREATHE, FW3 instead turns into a Din's Failure Suicide.
-Make Nayru's Rejection the default neutral B since clearly the goddesses reject Zelda and give all of their gifts and magic powers to Sheik.
:secretkpop:

Last edited:

Valamway

Smash Apprentice
NNID
i38VWi
It's almost 2pm in Japan right now, so I'd imagine anytime between the next few seconds and the next handful of hours.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Well maintenance started 5 minutes ago and it will last for an hour and a half. The patch will probably be out afterwards.

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
PATCH IS LIVE, UPDATING RIGHT NOW!!!

BUFF TO DOWN TAUNT PLS

False alarm, it was "installing downloadable content." -_- I haven't bought anything, don't know why that came up.

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
WAIT REALLY

SO MUCH FOR SLEEP

Awww much disappoint

Last edited:

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Balance Patch hype! I think? I have a feeling there wont be one, but thats just me doubting....i dont like being disappointed, so no happiness allowed. :,(

though Mario maker stage looks cool actually. =)

---

Cress! Cress!

"......."

Last edited:

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
Okay NOW I'm getting the update.
I pwomise. :3

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
Zelda gets her old down b back and Sheik loses bouncing fish. Everybody wins! /s

C'mon sakurai give zelda some love.

Top Bottom