• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zap-Jumping a Glitch?

ShadowRoamer

Smash Cadet
Some of you may use a helpful little Lucas tactic called Zap Jumping. It is done by using PK Fire the second you double jump, and can give you a lot of elevation as well as horizontal recovery.
Well, aside from that, a lot of people claim that it is a "glitch" and therefore it is "cheating". I do admit, it probably wasn't purposely programmed into the game, but neither were a lot of advanced techniques. So is it really a glitch?
Discuss.

HelpR

Smash Ace
it is a glitch, it's merely the backwards momentum from PK fire being transferred into vertical momentum, the same concept is used in wavebouncing, and both abuse brawl's physics system rather well.

However, if you consider any glitch cheating then you should probably throw DACUS, glide tossing, jab locks, and, perhaps even tornado, out as glitches and make them illegal.

glitches are a big part of brawl's metagame

one thought does occur to me though, do you guys think that grenade stripping is a glitch? I honestly cannot tell if it's intentional or not

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
lol, Wavebouncing, DACUS, Glidetossin, Jab Locks and Whornado are definitely not glitches.
I can tell you straight up that that Wavebouncing is just reversal b-ing a turn-around b-move which was programmed into the game. DACUS is not a glitch and is specifically found within fighter.pac which was programmed by Sakurai's team, same goes with glide tossing and jab locks. Whornado is just Sakurai favoring his character that he made in his series. I mean during play testing, don't you think that they would find out that DDD has a chaingrab? If Sakurai weren't so partial to DDD, then it defefinitely wouldn't be in the game.

However, Zap Jump is a glitch. It is not cheating as defined by the SBR therefore, is totally allowed. So tell your friends to STFU when they say you're cheating.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
However, Zap Jump is a glitch. It is not cheating as defined by the SBR therefore, is totally allowed. So tell your friends to STFU when they say you're cheating.
Seconds this alot lol

It's completely legit they just jealous they don't got a move like that xD

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
one thought does occur to me though, do you guys think that grenade stripping is a glitch? I honestly cannot tell if it's intentional or not
i believe it is a glitch, i think snake is supposed to drop it like that if he is already holding a grenade and pulls out another one, but they forgot to specify for whether snake is holding the grenade or not...imo.

HelpR

Smash Ace
the reason I brought up the tornado is because if you look at the priority for the move, on the ground it's somewhat normal, but once it gets into the air... jesus, it just becomes ridiculous

as for wavebouncing, didnt say it was a glitch, just that it used the same kind of physics flaw that makes zap jumping possible, where you can build up large amounts of momentum using the recoil from pk fire.

i'll take your word on DACUS and glide tossing though, but glide tossing doesnt seem intentional, and seems more like an oversight when they said 'let's let them throw items while air dodging and spot dodging!'

If it was intentional, that'd be awesome

and jab lock isnt really a glitch I guess either.

as for the DDD comment, lol. to be fair, DDD doesnt have a chain grab on everyone, just almost everyone that matters and a large number of the people who dont

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Some of you may use a helpful little Lucas tactic called Zap Jumping. It is done by using PK Fire the second you double jump, and can give you a lot of elevation as well as horizontal recovery.
Well, aside from that, a lot of people claim that it is a "glitch" and therefore it is "cheating". I do admit, it probably wasn't purposely programmed into the game, but neither were a lot of advanced techniques. So is it really a glitch?
Discuss.
Play to win, scrub.

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/intermediates-guide.html

"The game knows no rules of “honor” or of “cheapness.” The game only knows winning and losing."

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
Whoa, another Lucas/Ganon player.

Anyways, regardless if its a glitch or not, Lucas's recovery isn't that good compared to others. This "glitch" just helps that. Personally, I don't use it, because if I happen to mess it up (I happen to mess it up 1/10 times), thats a lost stock, and there's very few times where I'm too far out to PKT2 above the edge.

Top Bottom