• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zap jump?

Iraku

Smash Cadet
It's a very nice trick, though I can't get it to work with the Gamecube controller, only the Wiimote an Nunchuck. Instead, I can do it by throwing the Home Run Bat straight up. It works just as good, if not better. Doesn't work with Ness, or other characters, I haven't bothered trying it with other items, and I can't get it to work with the Wiimote and Nunchuck.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
I actually just reposition my fingers for a moment on the GC controller, pressing X or Y with one of my fingers and the B button with my thumb. If I know I'm going to do this ahead of time, it's easy to move to this position and back.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
Can I set L to jump in addition to my X and Y buttons? I guess I don't use L for anything else, so if that's the case, I see no reason not to try that.

QueTee

Smash Apprentice
i can pull this off 90% of the time, consistent enough. you guys have to learn this, it's a great unexpected way to KO either with the pkf or another move.

you should probably set jump to the left bumper to do this. press jump just slightly before i press side+B, and it should go off. practice for a good half an hour or so and you should get it.

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
So basically you just forward b and jump at the same time and you move upward far and fast?

Shouldn't be TOO hard on GCN controller.

spyk90

Smash Cadet
It worked for me.

I'm gonna practice getting knocked off a stage and using it for recovery now.
Same here.

I seem to get this move about 60% of the time off the first ground jump. So far, trying this while falling away from the stage proves to be very difficult. Anyone have any other tips?

dantemasta

Smash Apprentice
I been workin' on it, and once you get a rhythm going it comes pretty natural. I tried it with short hopping and it works pretty good . So, a short hop to aerial, to zap jump should be possible, but it'll take some work. I've yet to try it for recovery though.

dantemasta

Smash Apprentice
I been workin' on it, and once you get a rhythm going it comes pretty natural. I tried it with short hopping and it works pretty good . So, a short hop to aerial, to zap jump should be possible, but it'll take some work. I've yet to try it for recovery though.
Actually, I found a way to me that makes it alot easier to do. Set your specials to L, and use the X to jump. I always had a problem doing the analog stick and B button at the same time because they were using seperate hands. It's alot easier using one hand to PK fire.

kidbu916

Smash Cadet
If you look at the Brawl Tactical Board this guy named Panda made this other technique and controls would work well for this tech as well because he use the C-Stick for specials which means zap jump will be even easier plus the controls play good on my Marth too.

MaximoSmasher

Smash Apprentice
****ing idiot
lawl.

I actually did this a few times on accident, I was wondering why he was shooting up into the air.

I don't feel like its useful enough to bother doing. I've never had problems recovering with Lucas personally.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
If you look at the Brawl Tactical Board this guy named Panda made this other technique and controls would work well for this tech as well because he use the C-Stick for specials which means zap jump will be even easier plus the controls play good on my Marth too.
this guy named Panda? You mean SamuraiPanda?

Anyway, yeah, I'll try this with the "b-stick" later.

Starstorm

Smash Rookie
This is really not hard to do once you get the hang of it. I can do it consistently after my 4th try its cool trick but my boy already know this awhile ago wish he would of told me.

NYC Fab, i know you are a big tekken player, i saw your Evo 2k7 vids.

i play tekken as well, maybe you have heard of me... the name's Ares. i play Bryan.

------------------------------------------

anyways, i tried Zap Jump today, and it is great for opponents who knock you up and try to attack you while in the air. Zap jump dodges and you can quick fall and punish their whiffed move.

rushdown

Smash Rookie
For anyone interested in why this happens, I posted a theory on a different forum. Here it is, copied.

When Lucas jumps the second time in air, you notice that it's sort of spacey. There's this weird gravity thing going on. What we figured is that the jump is composed of two forces. One is the up force that causes Lucas to jump. The other is the down force which causes the up force to decay. The end result is that parabolic, spacey movement Lucas has. For Lucas's PK Fire, we think there's a slight movementary modification in down momentum. It's really, really subtle, almost nonexistant. But it helps that he juts back when he uses his PK Fire. So what we feel is going on with his Zap Jump is that by pressing Jump and PK Fire at the exact same time, you're actually canceling out the down vector of the air jump, causing Lucas to inherit all of the momentum of the up vector. It results in him flying 3U into the air at high speed. And he still ends up shooting a PK Fire before the apex of the jump.

Krii

Smash Journeyman
OMG Epic Zap Jump Combo i pulled off! I recovered from the left side of FD with a zap jump, the opponent/Sonic, got hit into the left side of with the PK Fire and i Neutral air as im up their stalling and i hit him and he pops back abovie me to the right over FD and I PKThunder2 him to death! TWAS EPIC! i dont have anything to record the match, but i haves it saved on my Wii!

It sorta makes sense to call it zap jumping cause the actual energy emitted when PK Fire is projectile is a Thunder object, thus 'zap'. But that's just me, i think that it's a good name and simple to learn, just BOOM u been ZapJump-comboed!

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
For those who know what WaveBouncing is and/or the effects of B-Sticking, both are different names for the same phenomenon, the backwards momentum and zap jumping can both be done at the same time.

The result is a Zap Jump that pushes you back a good distance. I don't see the usefulness in this, but of course just letting you guys know that so far these two techniques can be applied together.

Jaqen

Smash Rookie
I started practicing this for a while last night and I'm getting pretty consistent at it. I find that you actually press jump slightly before pressing forward+b. At least, that's how it feels to me and it makes it so much easier to get off when I think in that mindset.

Powda

Smash Apprentice
thought I'd point out a fun Mind game, I'll try to figure out how to make a video of it.

If you are hanging on the edge and someone is waiting for you to get up, you can drop off the edge, psi magnet 2 times then zap jump and the pk fire will hit the person. It's funny cause they never expect it.

I'm a psi magnet abuser so I find out weird quirks like this ;P

BlakeOut

Smash Rookie
Yeah, normally if you FF off the edge you can Zap Jump right away and you hit the middle level platforms in battlefield. Pretty convenient how you can Zap Jump and aim your PK Fire. Gonna practice the Psi Magnet into punishing ledge guarders hehe

Trozz

Smash Ace
How's the hitbox for PsiMagnet? If it's as huge as I think, I'll be adding it to my arsenal of attacks.

kyle?!

Smash Cadet
Has anyone else had trouble with the zap jump pushing them back too far? I've been having trouble even tethering because I'm so far away. Any suggestions about it?

Powda

Smash Apprentice
Zap jump should shoot you forward unless you are bsticking it, so I can't see how that would happen. If it does however, you can air dodge your way back to the stage and use psi magnet to play mind games by slowing your decent etc.

Psi magnet doesn't have a huge hit box, but it's the knock back that makes it awesome. I use this puppy alot to work into combos. Even at 0% it will knock them back enough to combo. If you b-stick it, it works well as a scare tactic. Psi magnet is also a great habit to have when fighting characters such as Zelda, lucas, ness, samus, lucario etc.

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
I managed to get it to work, but I'm not sure I can pull it off consistently enough to use it for recovery...

Basically, I smash to the side and hit jump/B at the same time...is that right?

kyle?!

Smash Cadet
Zap jump should shoot you forward unless you are bsticking it, so I can't see how that would happen. If it does however, you can air dodge your way back to the stage and use psi magnet to play mind games by slowing your decent etc.

Psi magnet doesn't have a huge hit box, but it's the knock back that makes it awesome. I use this puppy alot to work into combos. Even at 0% it will knock them back enough to combo. If you b-stick it, it works well as a scare tactic. Psi magnet is also a great habit to have when fighting characters such as Zelda, lucas, ness, samus, lucario etc.
Oh ok. Yeah I'm L Jumping + bstick.

Powda

Smash Apprentice
I managed to get it to work, but I'm not sure I can pull it off consistently enough to use it for recovery...

Basically, I smash to the side and hit jump/B at the same time...is that right?
If you do it enough it becomes second nature, much like wave dashing was.

A good way to practice in life combat is vs a lvl 3 computers. Purposely fall off the edge and do it to come back, when you miss doing it either A - you barely move up and pkf and you can PKT2 back to the edge or B you missed it cause you didn't press jump before pkf and in this case you just jump then pkt2 back to the edge. Either way you should get to the point that you survive no matter what in combat.

Remember you aren't pressing jump and pkf at the same time. You are pressing jump a nano second sooner. It almost feels like the same time but don't be mistaken, jump comes first.

GL and happy practicin !

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
If you do it enough it becomes second nature, much like wave dashing was.

A good way to practice in life combat is vs a lvl 3 computers. Purposely fall off the edge and do it to come back, when you miss doing it either A - you barely move up and pkf and you can PKT2 back to the edge or B you missed it cause you didn't press jump before pkf and in this case you just jump then pkt2 back to the edge. Either way you should get to the point that you survive no matter what in combat.

Remember you aren't pressing jump and pkf at the same time. You are pressing jump a nano second sooner. It almost feels like the same time but don't be mistaken, jump comes first.

GL and happy practicin !
Ok, so jump should be the first one hit.

Good to know.

Top Bottom