• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zap jump?

ARVY

Smash Apprentice
what are the commands for it? or is it secret :3

Penguyen

Smash Journeyman
I would leave a comment but i can't.. Hopefully they'll tell us soon :ohwell:

BentoBox

Smash Master
Well, pretty much you have to press jump and forward/back B at the same time after you do your first jump. If you do it right then you'll soar up. You can do it also while recovering. If done correctly, it's very effective.
Interesting indeed. Applications? =o

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
Except if you flub it, you're going to have a hard time making it back.

According to those comments, you just jump, and hit back, forward B really quick?

Eldiran

Smash Lord
To be honest, I'm having a hard time telling what exactly is going on. Could anyone elaborate on what the 'Zap Jump' is exactly?

Mikezor

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, I'm having a hard time telling what exactly is going on. Could anyone elaborate on what the 'Zap Jump' is exactly?
^This and...

Can someone please describe it? I cannot watch the video as of now, so a description would be incredibly helpful.

Svkv

Smash Cadet
It basically just pops you up a little higher. Jump, zap jump, second jump, upB.

Edit: Wait, does it just increase your second jump's distance?

BentoBox

Smash Master
You see Lucas jumping, double jumping and then going 2 times higher after pk firing using the explained method~ There are 4 lucas on the screen so the camera stands still and the Lucas that performed the maneuver goes high enough to exit the screen.

Maggirus

Smash Journeyman
I tried it ingame.
It increases the height of your second jump by far. Lucas jumps incredibly high.

Also, it isn't difficult to do this. You need a little bit training for timing, but then it's really easy to do.

With this glitch Lucas can recover (after Pit) the biggest vertical distance of all characters.

kingofping4

Smash Cadet
Though I highly doubt it, can Ness do this too? If anyone can give it a try and confirm it, and by this I mean messing with the timing and such just to make sure that it's not just slightly different for him, I think it would go a long way to proving that Lucas > Ness. :)

Maggirus

Smash Journeyman
Maggirus: Im having difficulties doing this. Can you explain how it is done please?
You must activate the second jump and PK Fire at the same moment.

And Ness can't do this.

HighInDaSky

Smash Cadet
I tried it, its a cool move. It gets easier after you get used to the timing but i still cant do it consecutively lol.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
I just tried it today. It's really nifty. I didn't find it that difficult to do--just press the Special button and Jump buttons at the same time when performing PK Fire. I actually did it my first try. Pretty simple. I hope it's in the US version, too. Ness can't do it. I think it's because Lucas's PK Fire has that kick back effect, and I think that's what's glitching with his jump to make this happen. Ness remains stationary in the air when he uses PK Fire, so he can't zap jump.

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
Ness doesn't need it... he has other skills that would be way more useful (especially in bed). but ya cool glitch. i will have to try it. also, what happens to the pk fire? i haven't watched the vid recently (and frankly i don't feel like watching it again) and i think i remember the pk fire disappearing. does it continue forward invisible? does it equip the hitbox of the pk fire for those frames, similar to YYG, or does it just go away?

Kuronekokun

Smash Cadet
I remember doing this by accident and shrugging it off, but now that the method's known it's going to be fun to play around with it.

On another note, would this technique be banned in a tournament? (such as the upcoming gamestop one >.>')

BentoBox

Smash Master
Ness doesn't need it... he has other skills that would be way more useful (especially in bed). but ya cool glitch. i will have to try it. also, what happens to the pk fire? i haven't watched the vid recently (and frankly i don't feel like watching it again) and i think i remember the pk fire disappearing. does it continue forward invisible? does it equip the hitbox of the pk fire for those frames, similar to YYG, or does it just go away?
Seeing how this could have a tremendous impact on Lucas' recovery, I don't see why Ness wouldn't want to be able to do the same... What other skills are you refering to exactly?

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
Ness doesn't need it... he has other skills that would be way more useful (especially in bed). but ya cool glitch.
Seeing how this could have a tremendous impact on Lucas' recovery, I don't see why Ness wouldn't want to be able to do the same... What other skills are you refering to exactly?
Isn't that getting a little ... private? ;)

The Fire didn't disappear for me. It ended up shooting midway through the jump. Could that mean that my timing is slightly off?

(NYC)Fab

Smash Journeyman
This is really not hard to do once you get the hang of it. I can do it consistently after my 4th try its cool trick but my boy already know this awhile ago wish he would of told me.

Levitas

the moon
Yeah, this will be really nice considering the difficulty involved in trying to get a PKT2 to go straight up (especially when you can't see yourself. It's as if Lucas has sonic's recovery, lol.

Also reminds me of the samus grapple thing in melee...

Zek

Smash Ace
So how well does this work if you don't have the momentum of your first jump? i.e you're falling down off the stage when you do the double jump.

__Crazy__

Smash Cadet
I got my copy of Brawl and this is actually really easy. The bolt shoots out about halfway through the "jump".

And I'll have to check whether your momentum affects the height of the jump. Check here later for info.

Ok I just checked and your momentum hardly affects your height at all, maybe like a cm difference.

Wakeuplan

Smash Rookie
Hey, i just got the U.S. version, and i can't quite get the zap jump down. I'm sure it's still in this version, but can anyone confirm it?

EDIT: thanks for the help. i can do it now :)

__Crazy__

Smash Cadet
Hey, i just got the U.S. version, and i can't quite get the zap jump down. I'm sure it's still in this version, but can anyone confirm it?
It is in the US version make sure you are pressing jump and side-b at exact same time. For me I have jump also set to L so I just press L and side-b at the same time. Works everytime.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
I was so afraid they were going to take it out for the US version, but luckily it does still work! :)

EDIT: I just noticed something really interesting. Ness can't Zap Jump, but he can do ... something else. His PK Fire still has an odd effect when timed a certain way with his second jump. He kind of slides upwards at about a 45 degree angle in front of him. The trajectory is similar, but not identical, to his second jump. The catch is that he throws the PK Fire on the fly. As in, he begins his throwing animation in one place, slides a considerable distance, and releases at the peak of the slide!

EDIT: The Ness players are telling me this is old news. Ah well. Still cool and useful.

Sheer Cold

Smash Journeyman
So does everyone has there controller set up a special so they can do this? Is it eve possiable to do this with the default controls?

Subtle

Smash Cadet
I have preformed this a few times now but can't get the timing down perfectly. I would experiment more but I'm trying to switch from a gcn controller to wiimote+nunchuk right now

Top Bottom