• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zap Jump Help

The Thunder Boy

Smash Rookie
Hello, I'm pretty new here but not at all new to smash bros. I've been playing this game since the 64 version casually and now I'm trying to get a little bit more competitive. For brawl, I chose Lucas as my main. I like this kid, despite his short comings, I like using the underdogs in any game I play. And I'm a fan of the mother series. Trying to get some of his advance Techniques down packed and I come across Zap Jumping. This thing is difficult for me to pull off and I've become frustrated to the point where I'm asking fellow Lucas mains for help. I need to know If I'm doing something wrong or what the consensus think is the most effective way to do it. I appreciate any help, Thanks in advance.

BTW, any other useful advance tech for lucas you guys are willing to recommend will be appreciated too.

x9whitey9x

Smash Journeyman
B-sticking (setting the C-stick to Specials) makes Zap Jumping much easier, although it is not necessary. BAsically, jump, then jump and smash <- or -> on the C stick at the same time, and it should work. It takes a little bit of practice to get it down, but it's not too complicated.

ChaosTheoryX

Smash Lord
well to make zapjumping easier most lucas players set either R or L to jump so that you can hit jump and the b button at the same time easier so you dont have to deform your hand to hit both x/y and b at the same time

another AT that is worth looking into is wavebouncing....it doesnt totally require you to use b-sticking...but it is difficult for some people to do it without. basically while you are in the air holding the control stickeither left or right. you do a special in the opposite direction. for example: you re runnng to the left and then you jump while still holding left and b-stick to the right causing your pk fire to be a wavebounced pk fire. what this does is causes lucas to bounce back from using pk fire farther then he would doing a regular pk fire. this is mostly used for spacing

Exia 00

Smash Champion
Its cool and all but in all honesty it never helped me before. It can confuse an unaware opponent but besides that.....i don't really care for it.

TheFast

Smash Lord
I use it to get back to the stage when playing Mario so he doesn't just cape me when i play Lucas >.< but that's just me.

Star Lucas

Smash Cadet
The recovery claw(thumb on b, smash the thumb stick to the side and index finger on x to jump) makes it somewhat easier
to pull of zap jump, but not 100% everytime
Also check out the Lucas Technique Section in the 'New & Improved Lucas Vid Compendium' http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=188898
to see some vids of Lucas AT's
ohhh so its called recovery claw....haha cool. I do that all the time. I personally find it easier to ZapJump, though I still suck at it lol.

EDIT: I find doing zapjump from the ground much easier to pull than doing it in the air. In clearer terms, it seems easier to do when you jump off the ground and zapjump rather than getting hit off stage or simply running off stage and zapjumping. Maybe the "zapjump at the peak of lucas' first jump" makes the ground zapjump easier.

Veril

Frame Savant
ohhh so its called recovery claw....haha cool. I do that all the time. I personally find it easier to ZapJump, though I still suck at it lol.

EDIT: I find doing zapjump from the ground much easier to pull than doing it in the air. In clearer terms, it seems easier to do when you jump off the ground and zapjump rather than getting hit off stage or simply running off stage and zapjumping. Maybe the "zapjump at the peak of lucas' first jump" makes the ground zapjump easier.
Zapjumping gets really easy with practice. Zapjumping over the stage is the same as zapjumping off-stage. Its just finger positioning and preparedness that make the difference.

Top Bottom