• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zamus's grab = awesome

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I noticed something today about Zamus's grab: It can grab out of the air. There is the obvious stun to grab combo, which works whether your opponent is grounded or not, but I've noticed some other things that are nice, too, such as dtilt --> grab, or uair --> grab. Note, of course, that these combos aren't necessarily guaranteed, due to the massively reduced hitstun in Brawl, but they're good against slow learners, and the latter one, at least, seems to work well on Bowser.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Zamus grab is slow, and laggy, but her throws are pretty good.
Also, has anyone noticed any difference between her running grab and her standing one, last time I played they seemed the same to me(it might be my memory failing, as I haven't played for around a month).

Eten

Smash Ace
Mixing it up with a charge stun shot, I like run away, jump, turn around charge in the air, land and release the charged stun shot on a fresh opponent, makes it easy to get a grab to where her throws set you up in a good place to combo upwards with ZSS.

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
Her throws are very nice, but if you miss a grab you are getting punished. However, the new air dodge will ruin many a set up from a down or up throw. I tend to use a dashing Up Smash after a throw as the last 2 zaps will hit after an airdodge. Any aerials will be dodged past without mind games.

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
Her throws are very nice, but if you miss a grab you are getting punished. However, the new air dodge will ruin many a set up from a down or up throw. I tend to use a dashing Up Smash after a throw as the last 2 zaps will hit after an airdodge. Any aerials will be dodged past without mind games.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I'm trying to say that there may be some neat ways to set up grabs themselves by catching opponents while they're in the air, because the grab can do this. This is an amazing thing, as it's the only long range grab, other than Lucas's, that can do this. You can grab people who are off the ledge. You can pivot grab people if they try to come at you from above. Is Peach trying to float towards you with an fair? Grab her. There is no longer the question of whether your foe is grounded. This is what I find amazing and useful.

heypancho

Smash Apprentice
Man, Zamus is so much fun. I found she really does well in harassing. UpB, Usmash, B and DownB get annoying fast for your opponent.... and now you find she's capable of grabbing people who are OFF the ledge and approaching above. YOU'RE NUTS MAN! NUTS!

robman1

Smash Cadet
can't wait to find the zamus air grab in some combo vids...

what happens if you're off the edge? I had to leave the game at college so i can't test, but can you suicide? or maybe pull something like a diddy hump spike?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I don't mean you can grab while you're in the air. You can grab your opponent while they're in the air. For instance, if your opponent is off the stage, you can still grab them and throw them back out.

M@v

Subarashii!
I never really get the chance to grab my opponents(a.k.a friends)...theyre too good to fall for it. But i might be able to suprise them with the air one. I never really need to grab online, I just prefer juggling and comboing, then topping it off with a down b kick(in case you havent realized yet, its ridiculously strong)

Eten

Smash Ace
I've used this grabbing out of the air now that I know about it. Samus's grab comes out quickly, it just has a ton of lag if you miss. It gives you an extra option to punish certain approaches, and you can grab people while standing out from over a ledge, which I find a very useful and reliable way to edgeguard in certain situations.

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
What do you ZSS players do against opponents that are good at DI and take away the down throw -> uair combos?

From watching some of Azen/Chillin's videos, I noticed that if you DI all the way to the left/right, it becomes very difficult to follow up down throws with uair.

Do ZSS's throws become more or less useless?

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
ZSS's throws are still very good for setting up combo's. Whether or not your opponent can DI away from your being able to directly hit them again, you should still be able to chase them down even if their damage is considerably low.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
What do you ZSS players do against opponents that are good at DI and take away the down throw -> uair combos?

From watching some of Azen/Chillin's videos, I noticed that if you DI all the way to the left/right, it becomes very difficult to follow up down throws with uair.

If you DI out of it I'll just Bdown spike you =D

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ

Usmash also works after a dthrow.

Rui

Smash Cadet

Well, I usually try to short hop -> wavebounce forward special, but it doesn't work very often haha. I just really like wavebouncing.

heypancho

Smash Apprentice
How well does grab to fthrow to grab to fthrow to grab etc work? I can only do it on CPU's right now so I can't really test it thoroughly.. or actually i'm just too lazy. Hehehehehe... I think it works from 0% okay but I'm not sure. Does someone wanna look deeper into this? It's pretty fun.

Top Bottom