• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zamus Grab suggestions?

nicksaninja

Smash Rookie
Zamus isn't my main, but she is my secondary. I figure I'm pretty good with her. But I'm struggling with her grabs. I can't seem to move fast enough. Any suggestions?

Vro

Smash Lord
Her grab is incredibly slow, so I suggest most of your grabs be shield grabs, punishing your opponent. Throwing out random grabs here and there is great to keep your opponent on their toes, but is more likely to result in punishment.

As far as throws, down throw seems to be most effective, as it can continue to combo with up airs > up b on almost all characters.

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
Her Dashing Shield Grab is relatively quick as she dashes and throw in the same time. I hardly use the standing grab regularly as it is slow and very punishable. But do use it when they do a move with slow after lag and for shield grabbing with move with slow after lag.Her Shield grab can be punch out of from what I heard so be aware of that.I could be wrong.

She has one of the longest dashing shield grab in the game(Pretty quick too). So take advantage of that. Also try to keep long distance with the throw.Try not to whiff up close and if you are going to whiff, at least whiff at long range so you might can recover in time for your punishment

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Dashing shield grab should help you out. And yeah, like Vro said, her down-throw is the best throw she's got since you set up your opponent for a air-combo party.

Ørion

Smash Ace
I tend to paralyze the opponent then use the grab, like said before. This keeps it from being punished, which it can very easily. It takes some practice getting the timing right and learning where you should use it (I'm still learning myself, but this is what I've found so far).

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I would really only grab out of stun. Sometimes I'll do a Pivot Grab while retreating, but that's rare.

Once I have them grabbed, I really only go for dthrow at low percents, and then only on slower characters, because then there's a small chance they won't be able to bring an attack out before I get to them. Otherwise, I throw them off the closest edge.

True Mikuru

Smash Rookie
Her grab is a high risk - low reward option even with trying to paralyze them. They'll see a charged one a mile away; they'll spot dodge or roll (or counter) after being hit by a light blast. Then if you land it they'll air dodge your follow ups after the uthrow or dthrow. After a bthrow and fthrow, if your player is even a little competent, you won't be able to follow it up with much.

My suggestion is not to use it a lot if at all. Only for a surprise once your opponent is used to you not grabbing, but even then you should be nervous about it. There is infinitely better things you could do after a dsmash though instead of grab...

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
Just as Mikuru said, High Risk for Low Rewards. Her dthrow, even being the best, isn't that great. Dthrow -> nair/fair is your best option for the most damage, and even then you're only stacking up about 15-20%. Also, about shieldgrabbing, it's horrible for it. Only when people use extremely laggy moves should you shieldgrab with it, because you will get jabbed every time on faster characters. In general, I try to stay away from the grab unless I need to control the match a little, and I'm positive it will work. I also agree that the best way to use it is dashgrabbing, it feels a little faster since she's on the move and covers even more ground.

Garde

Smash Ace
Like Faded and Mikuru said, it's a high risk move with very little reward. Any skilled player using a character with better DI than Zamus will come out of her throws unscathed about 80% of the time. That means that 1/5 grabs you get (against opponents with good air maneuverability), you'll actually be able to follow up with one or two attacks.

Shield grabs are particularly dangerous unless your opponent is in a lot of lag. She doesn't have many options out of her shield, which is a shame, but shield grabbing against people who don't use laggy moves will get you into trouble.

However, using it as a primary source of damage or a counter is not really what it was meant for. Instead, it should be used as a sort of mix-up when approaching on the ground. Dash attack to up-tilt will often catch people from spot dodges and some inexperienced players from their shields. Dash up-smash will usually catch spot dodgers. Dash grab will catch someone shielding. Instead of looking at this in terms of damage potential, you use it to make the opponent unsure of when you're going to throw that grab out, making it easier to score hits with the other 2 approaches.

Because the grab is so punishable, you should throw it out rarely (unless they're shielding all the time). Using it infrequently is probably when it is the most powerful in terms of mindgames, regardless of whether it is effective for damage. People will not expect it as much (though you should be EXTREMELY careful against spot dodge happy opponents and probably refrain from using it entirely), and it will be essentially a free 10% damage or so and stick the opponent in the air (though not in any advantageous position for you, it prevents them from being grounded temporarily, where most characters feel secure).

Keeping your opponent unable to guess your approach is important, and for that reason her grab is useful. It's definitely not effective for building damage in comparison to several other options, but it is better to do 10% damage to your opponent than it is to get punished by people that constantly drop their shield after you're in lag from one of your other dash approaches.

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
yea do a Dashing Shield Grab, and for throws...u can chain with the Fwd Throw and use the Dwn Throw to setup aerials and such.

teh_w0lf

Smash Cadet
I generally use it to change up my approaches

once they get used to the short hopped >b and the dash combos you can always run past and do the turn-around grab...she is generally faster than most opponents and can use this to punish campy players

Top Bottom