• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Z-Drop Turnip Kill Set-Ups

gagelax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GageLax
3DS FC
4699-6577-1898
Guys, I think I've really found something good this time. What if I told you that a Z-Drop Turnip, by itself, could actually kill.
Well, it can't really do that, but it sure can set-up for one!

*( http://youtu.be/GgFmd59Z7k4 )

To Perform:
1. Turnip pull
2. Float with your back turned to the opponent
3. Let go of float
4. Z-Drop
5. React to your opponents input and punish!

Obviously, in a real match, you're not going to float across the stage like a ninny and think that you'll just get the z-drop off without getting hit first. How we are going to use this is as a punish. If we guess someone's get up, catch them charging a smash, read that they will try to airdodge into the ground, those kind of things.

One interesting thing about this set-up is that you can control whether they go in front or back of you. To make them go in front of you, you have to float into them so that the turnip will be closer to their back-side, sending them forward. Basically, you can position yourself with this set-up to get them in the right spot. This may be very important so that you can get them closer to one side of the stage to easily kill them off of the horizontals.

Now, this set-up has a lot of factors. *The kill shown in the video is not actually a combo. When z-dropping out of float, the best, more Reliable options are to do an IRCOOF and throw the turnip, dash attack, or grab. A quick bair may also work.

Now, if you float above their head and do a z-drop, you will be able to land an u-smash. This is possible due to how the z-drop at a higher position allows you more time to set up and get ready for the kill. One great application of this is to be floating in the air with a turnip as your opponent is falling. Fake them out by floating towards them or throwing out a uair. Because of this, they may airdodge into you, allowing you a free z-drop to use however you want!

The wonderful thing about this tech is that with z-drop's knockback, it can be used to set up so many things other than kills. You can do z-drop -> dtilt and do a big string there, get a grab and do the 20% dthrow -> bair, throw out a bair and get that hit, it goes on and on. Keep in mind that the ability to do these combos really depends on the height of your z-drop to give you more time to set-up.

I think this set-up has A LOT of opportunity and could be very useful, please share anything you find!

Stay Peachy; Thanks to Yaaay for contributing.

Last edited:

Tundra

Smash Cadet
NNID
Joyleaf
3DS FC
4012-3240-3546
Wow, cool! Another simple, yet extremely useful trick. Thanks for sharing, keep up the good work c:

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Ok so this is pretty interesting. I havent used it against anyone yet but floating above opponent > Zdrop > Drop float behind opponent > Usmash is an inescapable combo.

Furthermore, ground floating zdrop wont combo into Fsmash (havent tested Dash Attack) but if you float just a little bit higher it will combo and be a guaranteed kill setup. Its likely because the turnip hits them a bit later leaving you at a bigger frame advantage.

Now as always with turnip Zdrops and Dthrows the main problem is the abysmal range. In order to get this combo you will have to force yourself into places that arent safe. Its not very hard to hit a Peach floating above/towards you. It seems pretty easy to evade too by simply moving around.

Nonetheless, if you happen to be in a position where you can use this I would definitely give it a try since the zdrop itself is completely lagless and safe after all, and the reward is great. Definitely something worth messing with, we might find more applications for it.

Nice find!!

gagelax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GageLax
3DS FC
4699-6577-1898
Ok so this is pretty interesting. I havent used it against anyone yet but floating above opponent > Zdrop > Drop float behind opponent > Usmash is an inescapable combo.

Furthermore, ground floating zdrop wont combo into Fsmash (havent tested Dash Attack) but if you float just a little bit higher it will combo and be a guaranteed kill setup. Its likely because the turnip hits them a bit later leaving you at a bigger frame advantage.

Now as always with turnip Zdrops and Dthrows the main problem is the abysmal range. In order to get this combo you will have to force yourself into places that arent safe. Its not very hard to hit a Peach floating above/towards you. It seems pretty easy to evade too by simply moving around.

Nonetheless, if you happen to be in a position where you can use this I would definitely give it a try since the zdrop itself is completely lagless and safe after all, and the reward is great. Definitely something worth messing with, we might find more applications for it.

Nice find!!
Okay, awesome. Will keep testing some things.

gagelax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GageLax
3DS FC
4699-6577-1898
Post updated with more accurate information on ground float and air float z-dropping height's follow-ups.

DiNoahsaur

Smash Rookie

Nice find!!
This sounds pretty cool, could you post a video showing this? I am still a bit confused how to execute it by your description.

marc0polo

Smash Cadet
NNID
NoticeMeKohai
Zdropping a turnip off stage as an edgeguard works: roll so your back is to the edge, then float/zdrop. It's particularly easy to land on characters with vertical recoveries like megaman.

Oh, also zdropping can be use as you come off a platform to cover your back (if you're retreating)

Last edited:

gagelax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GageLax
3DS FC
4699-6577-1898
Zdropping a turnip off stage as an edgeguard works: roll so your back is to the edge, then float/zdrop. It's particularly easy to land on characters with vertical recoveries like megaman.

Oh, also zdropping can be use as you come off a platform to cover your back (if you're retreating)
Yup! :D

Top Bottom