• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your style vs pro style

ryuu seika

Smash Master
The high level players can always flow from one thing to another without hesitating, and they play intelligently while doing so.
From what I can tell from my own experiance, this comes with practice but not in the way that actual skill comes from practice because lack of hesitation isn't really a skill. It comes from having been in the same situation often enough before that you know what to do without taking time to think.

This one time I saw hungrybox Bair and it looked pretty good so I copied him :/
In a way this kinda sums up how my style evolved. I saw some guy charging FireFox get Daired into oblivion and have loved the move ever since.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I initially tried to copy Chu, which did help me get some basics ICs things down, but it caused a few problems. The biggest one was that by trying to act like he did, I would often end up being really predictable. I also had (and still have) a fondness for lots of the weird desynchs that he never used. There were two major times when I started to find my own mold: the first was when I became a lot more cautious to avoid getting ***** for approaching stupidly; the second was when I started trying to solve some problems I encountered by looking for legitimate applications of obscure tricks that I had previously perceived as gimmicky.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I am still just trying to emulate pro style. I try to play like T!mmy's Kirby but I seem to be playing too offensive and that causes problems while playing Kirby. I Just started to put a lot more work into my back ups for my main and the high tier back up I am trying to develop is Purin and I have to say I really like Hungrybox's style so I plan on trying to play like that. After I develop my Kirby and Purin accordingly then I will create my own style, but right now I am still working on the basics.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Jiggs plays a lot like Kirby, except with some better specials and no recovery move (ok, and a better Bair). I tend to forget I'm not Kirby when playing as him and offstage Sing.
Purin not only has a recovery move, she has a superior recovery move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpj6Yn3X2Ys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3ff7BDPHLE&feature=related

Just so you know.

If you meant to say Purin has no up b and this was a simple misunderstanding then yes, I understand, and yes you are correct.

Velox

Smash Ace
Don't try to reinvent the wheel, but also always look for progression from yourself as well as others. You should have a large amount of progression that simply comes from yourself..

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Quite honestly...watching videos to emulate isn't the exact reason. Get ideas...or watch reaction, then yes. At least that's for me. It helps train my mind. (If I only practiced more, lol.) I've always tried to go to the beat of my own style. I just don't like emulating. *shrugs*

I.B

Smash Lord
I really just ripped my style of M2K's pretty much. I can't tell if I've personalized it at all.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I have always had my own style with mewtwo.

I try to learn/copy **** from Silent wolf axe Dr Pee Pee for falco.

I try to learn/copy **** from silent wolf and other technical foxes.

ahhh ****.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
a way you go about distinctively using your char

EG;

abusive amount of bairs (which i find sexy personally)

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
im currently trying to improve my reaction speed. and im also trying to stop dropping edgegaurds and bread and butter combos..

Mario_PHD

Smash Rookie
Most "pro" vids I see of Dr. Mario characters are all short jumps + pills over and over.

I actually use the ground-dodge, then go into a throw and set up combos. Ground dodge all day. I am always suprised to see the pros never use the gound dodge.

Jeapie

Smash Journeyman
Throughout last 3 years i started `stealing/copying` certain tricks from great players.

Things like, light shield edgeguarden vs marth.
cancelling the falling animation after you got hit in the air ( you have to do left-right on the control stick ).
-> I learned this one actually from mindtrick , a yoshi player.
Soo my point is on this topic i guess that i didnt created my own styl only by watching good falcons,
but also from good other players who main other charackters.

however if you live close to Mango in USA you can just copy everything he does and you will be fine ofcourse. =o
anyway this is how i got my own styl, i think..

Combyning: ( `lol how do you spell that` )
1small little details tricks from other players +
2the use of your own spacing +
3being creative got me to where i am now.
`example of being creative: Silent Spectre using sticky walk to let his opponent spotdodge so he can hit him with a back air` sexy and effective ^^

Ofcourse I also did steal some american sillence jeffboy things to get me were i am now lol =)

gm jack

Smash Lord
Most "pro" vids I see of Dr. Mario characters are all short jumps + pills over and over.

I actually use the ground-dodge, then go into a throw and set up combos. Ground dodge all day. I am always suprised to see the pros never use the gound dodge.
They do, but if you abuse it an get predicted and they just wait, you can get destroyed for it.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
A rose by any other name is still a rose. And by rose, I mean me. And by this whole comment, I mean I'm awesome. ;)

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
Styles are fun to mimic/learn from tech skill wise until it gets to the point where in order to be as successful as the pros are, you gotta learn to pick up habits/read/adapt at the rate they do in-game X_X

Then it gets a bit tedious :laugh:

Top Bottom