• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Stupid Little Melee Thoughts...

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Melee and I go faaar back! It was my second Gamecube game after Pikmin! When playing Melee though, I was getting introduced to many new characters from many rich franchises I never even heard of. I had many stupid assumptions about these characters, and I'm sure some of you did too. Here are mine:

Gender Dilemas:
-I thought Samus was male
-I thought Kirby was female
-I thought Marth was female (<_<)

Stupid Character Assumptions:
-I thought Mr.Game and Watch was called Mr.Game and Watch Man after reading this mis-informing guide. Before I un-locked him, I thought he was a duo of two characters.
-I thought Mario's cape was a flag
-I never knew how to use counter
-I thought Toad puked to retaliate because he sustained too much damage

Noobishness at It's Finest!:
-I thought that Link's up-b was the best attack in the game (Link's up-b was all of Smash for me at one point <_<)
-I ridiculed people that played Peach because I said "Princesses can't fight!" (then I was introduced to her d-smash)
-I thought Bowser, Mewtwo, Link and Roy were the best characters in the game
-I thought C.Falcon was one of the slowest character (yeah, I never knew of dashing)
-I made fun of people that used a button attacks because "They're for noobs". BTW, I got this from the description of Singe Button Mode which said that using A moves was good for beginners.

Misc:
-I thought Capsules were pills
-I was afraid to fight level 9s (I owned one in my first match with one)
---

Yeah, I look life a fool...Feel free to make a mockery of yourfelf as well!

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
My friend and I used Link's Dair any chance we got. I was also obsessed with Link's Up Smash. I thought Marth's name was Martha, I thought Roy's hair and voice was funny and I said to my friends "Link is officially the greatest character in the game 'cos I beat Event 51 with him

Blackadder

Smash Master
Melee and I go faaar back! It was my second Gamecube game after Pikmin! When playing Melee though, I was getting introduced to many new characters from many rich franchises I never even heard of. I had many stupid assumptions about these characters, and I'm sure some of you did too. Here are mine:

Gender Dilemas:
-I thought Samus was male
-I thought Kirby was female
-I thought Marth was female (<_<)

Stupid Character Assumptions:
-I thought Mr.Game and Watch was called Mr.Game and Watch Man after reading this mis-informing guide. Before I un-locked him, I thought he was a duo of two characters.
-I thought Mario's cape was a flag
-I never knew how to use counter
-I thought Toad puked to retaliate because he sustained too much damage

Noobishness at It's Finest!:
-I thought that Link's up-b was the best attack in the game (Link's up-b was all of Smash for me at one point <_<)
-I ridiculed people that played Peach because I said "Princesses can't fight!" (then I was introduced to her d-smash)
-I thought Bowser, Mewtwo, Link and Roy were the best characters in the game
-I thought C.Falcon was one of the slowest character (yeah, I never knew of dashing)
-I made fun of people that used a button attacks because "They're for noobs". BTW, I got this from the description of Singe Button Mode which said that using A moves was good for beginners.

Misc:
-I thought Capsules were pills
-I was afraid to fight level 9s (I owned one in my first match with one)
---

Yeah, I look life a fool...Feel free to make a mockery of yourfelf as well!
That just about made my night, sir! :bee:
That is the grandest list of n00bishness I've ever laid witness too! You must have balls to admit to that.

As for myself, I know I thought Ganondorf, Bowser, and Mewtwo were the best characters because of their part in "The Final Showdown".

Aaand... that's sadly all I can think of right now. Sorry, it's nearly 4 AM here. I'll post some more when I can remember them later.

I know I was king n00b. :bee:

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
A loooooong time ago I used to think Dthrow to Shine was the best Fox combo ever :p
I also thought that the C-stick was for noobs who didn't know how to do smashes. Im gonna stop talking now bc I'm sick of looking like an idiot....SHFFL, WD, CC, SHL, SHDL, DFAIR, KEN COMBO, SHINE SPIKE, WAVESHINE! Phew, okay I feel better now, heh.

Cpt_EJ

Smash Cadet
I thought DK was one of the best characters. I thought the "new" side b attacks were obsolete and useless.

Yeah, I'm done.

Fletch

Smash Master
Used to think Ness was very good, and that his forward+B to bat was the best combo in the game... Also thought Mewtwo was too good. Can't even fathom how I thought this kind of stuff now.

BananaHammock

Smash Journeyman
:laugh: I used to think marth was a male... what do you know!
Boy were you ever mistaken! :laugh:

I used to think that Marth sucked and that Roy was amazing. I also thought Sheik's Fsmash was AMAZING and that Peach was terrible. I also thought Falco's layzor was too slow to be usable. Oh the memoriez.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
i guess it's good that you're willing to humiliate yourself in such a way. i do have some really stupid posts on smashboards that i put up before i understood the meaning of the word 'advanced' as in advanced techniques (i once got into a stupid argument with M2K himself, and i still have no clue why he even visited my thread) but that's about it.

golden_leeroy

Smash Journeyman
Lets see:

-I used to believe using Fox's laser was the only way to get a good homerun score.
-Hyrule temple was the greatest stage ever.
-B-moves were always the way to go.
-Played against level 5 computers, because anything higher than that would tool me.

<sigh> Those days were so much fun.

PitMasta

Smash Journeyman
My friend and I used Link's Dair any chance we got. I was also obsessed with Link's Up Smash. I thought Marth's name was Martha, I thought Roy's hair and voice was funny and I said to my friends "Link is officially the greatest character in the game 'cos I beat Event 51 with him
I beat Event Match 51 with Ness, and I hate it when people use Links Dair on me, and my Little brother beat Event Match 51 with young link!

P.S i used to think the capsules were pills too >.>

Andromeda

Smash Lord
I thought Links UpB was the best move in the game.

I thought shielding was useless.

I thought I kicked *ss because I beat lv9 CPU's.

TheLake

Smash Master
I thought mewtwo was the best character because hes psychic and I thought marios down tilt was useful...

*slaps self* SO STUPID!

soap

Smash Hero
marths counter befuddled me for a while, i was like what does this move do, hes not doing anything. and i didnt know about tilts for the longest time

Goldberg

Smash Apprentice
I doubted Marth's value when I first saw Roy's fully charged B, never happened again.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I used to think fox's shine was stupid and just for show, I used to think ganondorf was the best character in the game, I never ever used to play anyone other than Link or sheik out of fandom for zelda.

Insane-Contrast

Smash Apprentice
-When I first played melee, I'd pick Fox and run to the edge of the stage and use laser spam before charging at my opponent and hitting with a few running attacks and then a forward smash(My first few games against CPU's)
-I didn't know the c-stick could be used to do smash attacks (Very early on)
-I didn't know you could charge smash attacks (very early on)
-I thought Marth, Captain Falcon, Mewtwo and Bowser were god tier (in that order)
-I thought that Falco, Fox, Ness, Samus were High tier (under god tier, in that order)
-I thought Mewtwo's downthrow was an infinite combo against Bowser
-I thought Fox's down+B move sucked and was only good for reflecting Fox and Falco's lasers
-I didn't know you could hit an opponent while holding them before a throw
-I didn't know you could grab while running under I did it by accident with Bowser
-I spammed running attacks, mostly with Fox and Falco
-I didn't know Samus could do bomb jumps until I saw it on youtube
-I didn't know Samus could grapple edges until I did it by accident
-I didn't know what moonwalking was or many other techs of course!
-I didn't know Bowser's Koopa Klaw could grab foes in the air until I did it by accident
-I didn't know what walljumping was until I discovered it while doing Young Link's target test
-I didn't know I could do a reverse UP+B with Marth or Roy until I did it by accident
-I thought Roy was middle tier and hard to edgeguard
-I thought Lv9's were worse than Lv8's because Lv9's tended to suicide

Geist

Smash Master
Two words: coin matches.

lol back like 6 years ago me and my friends would have leet 1v1's with random 5 minute sessions of constantly rolling back and forth dodging attacks aaallll over hyrule, just like pros.
I also didn't know you could throw up or down, thank you SSB64
And, at one point I also thought roy was better than marth because Roy had fire. I was like 10, so i guess this is a legit excuse, right?

Jesus I've been playing this game since I was 10...

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
^
Lol, you should have seen my first attempt at Y.Link target test! I thought you had to greapple, flip around, and grapple that wall XD!

BBQ°

Smash Champion
I thought to do Mario's Back Throw (spin throw), you had to spin the analog stick in a circle once you grabbed him. I thought it was a failed attempt to spin throw if you did his Forward throw, which didn't look very powerful.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I thought to do Mario's Back Throw (spin throw), you had to spin the analog stick in a circle once you grabbed him. I thought it was a failed attempt to spin throw if you did his Forward throw, which didn't look very powerful.
LOL I thought the exact same thing

I used to think my game was broken because Fox's lasers wouldn't stun

saintrage

Smash Cadet
1. I used to think that Falco was God tier becuase Lvl 9 comps couldn't deal with his Dair
2. I used to think i was the best at SSBM >.<
3. I also didn't have FD and yoshi's story until like a few months ago becuase i sucked at the game (i've had it since it game out.
4. Hyrule ftw, best stage ever.
5. I thought that when fox did his short hop dair as a comp, that he was cheating because i couldn't figure out how to do it.

I miss the good old days ^^

mynameishector

Smash Rookie
xD I can agree with almost all of those :p but you seroiusly got some balls to admit that you thought that >.> I used to spam the down A attack for Link xD

Tr0n

Smash Cadet
Well... I thought fox's and falco's reflectors were for reflective use only.
Didn't know how to dash, or dash attack (kept wondering how on earth other players ran so fast)
Also used to spam link's up-B quite alot, and pikachu's down-B, completely missing the fact that there were platforms in the way alot of the time ¬_¬ lol

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
I'm always imagining my fox running around the stage canceling all his moves and moving at god like speed.

After all you can only play as well as you can imagine it.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
I thought Ganondorf was destined to an eternity of defeat at the hands of Link, but then I found out that I just sucked.

Oh, and when I picked up Mewtwo, I thought he was the best. <_<

Ted PJs

Smash Cadet
a year or two after ssbm came out id play with this group of 3 best friends, 2 of which i havent seen in a long long time. all we played was 5 stock, items on low, hyrule temple. i was always green fox and i only used lasers, phantasm, firefox, fsmash, usmash, and uair. i was the only one who used an a button arial move, lol. everyone else just stayed grounded all the time and was helpless in the air. my friends called the usmash 'the soccer kick' and it owned pretty bad even though i didnt know how to dash, grab, spotdodge, or roll. the would just fall helplessly in the air on top of me and died at like 80% because of the low celeings. i could shield and somehow miraculously tech every landing. i thought shine was a terrible move. my other friend who lost every game with me used captain falcon, samus, and mew2. he was the only one who knew how to roll. now he uses ganon, g@w, falcon, and in between now and then used roy exclusively. the other two won all of the matches. every single one ended up with them 3 stock a piece fighting 1 on 1 because they would wait around in the fight club or on the far left/right while me and the falcon player went around and got owned by eachother. one used doc and ylink, and the other used roy. the roy player destroyed the two of us with counter, which we couldnt figure out, and he fsmashed us dead from 50% plenty. the doc/ylink player used a lot of projectiles to own us and crouch cancelled dsmashes with both characters...too good. man i was bad

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I used to wonder why I couldn't beat my friends with Game and Watch like I could with Marth
i also used to think that Mewtwo was God tier, Zelda as well.
me and my friends went on record as saying that Ice Climbers were the worst characters of all time. We joked saying that it was programmed into the game such that IC's couldn't win

funnily enough, I always knew Fox was the best character. I just didn't know exactly why beyond the fact that he had strong smashes and speed.

I didn't know until I found smashboards that you could use C-stick to do aerial attacks.

I used to think spot dodge was useless.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I used to think:
-Hyrule Temple was the best stage ever
-Link was the best character ever because of his projectiles, extended grab, the fact that you can't hurt him by hitting his sword (disjointed hitbox), and his Up-B!
-Link's Up-B was the best move in the game because of it's power and range. More noobishly, I thought it was spammable as well.
-Marth was horrible because his moves were hard to land (I would always try nuetral B instead of f-smash)
-Pichu was better at everything than Pikachu except Thunder
-Pikachu was the 2nd best character in the game just because of Thunder (Pichu however was not 3rd)
-Jigglypuff was the 2nd worst character in the game (Bowser being the worst)
-Event Match 51 could only be beaten by shear luck
-Fox's/Falco's reflector as an attack was just a gimmick
-Falco's lasers were pointless because your opponent could roll past them and attack you while you were vulnerable (before I knew about SHL)
-Fox's lasers were pointless because they didn't even stun

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
xD I can agree with almost all of those :p but you seroiusly got some balls to admit that you thought that >.> I used to spam the down A attack for Link xD
Recheck your join date, you're still a newb XD j/k, j/k..

Anyways...

I can also probably agree with the most of the sheit here...

and I basicly used to think that there tiers where as such...

The later the character was unlocked, the better it was ;D

mr game and watch owns all then I guess

Top Bottom