• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Opinion on Kill Throws

What do you think about kill throws?

• I think all characters should have kill throws.

Votes: 30 19.9%
  • I think no characters should have kill throws.

Votes: 18 11.9%
  • I think things should stay the way they are.

Votes: 103 68.2%

• Total voters

Megalo

Smash Rookie
In my opinion, characters with kill throws are really good counter picks to lightweight characters like Mewtwo and Jigglypuff because it allows for an easier early kill. It's kinda balanced if you ask me.

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
I don't think all characters should have kill throws. Having a kill throw just makes a certain characters unique. Some don't even need them.

Managomous

Smash Cadet
NNID
RanmaTheAncient
I think throw kills are fine, so long as you either give everyone throw kills, or give nobody throw kills. Or if you decide to give certain characters throw kills, and other character no throw-kills, then you should prioritize other strengths for those characters that don't have throw-kills.

This is my problem with throw-kills, is that a lot of those characters who don't have throw kills don't have their other strengths prioritized, Puff for example and other low-tier characters. So right now, I don't care for throw-kills and think they kind of make the game meh. I don't know, the idea of shielding an attack to an automatic throw seems kind of lame (By lame I mean, requires very little skill to perform for the reward).

But that's my opinion.

XxSmashM4sterxX

Smash Cadet
Kill throws are just a crutch for bad players because it takes no skill to bthrow someone off stage for a free kill.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Kill throws are just a crutch for bad players because it takes no skill to bthrow someone off stage for a free kill.
I definitely feel like that sometimes. Some kill throws are just cheap (Ness's obviously). However, I can see them being important in certain situations. For example, kill throws can prevent matches from lasting too long. This can be very useful in the tournament setting where matches need to end relatively quickly so that they can fit as many in to one day as possible.

I see the mechanic as a double-edged sword. It makes matches quicker and allows certain characters to get kills easier that would have trouble otherwise. But, on the flip-side, certain kill throws definitely feel unfair. It's unfortunate to see a character revolve around their kill throw as their primary means of getting the KO (again, Ness is a good example of this).

I'm not sure exactly where I would come down on the issue yet, however, I think it would be nice if all characters had at least some sort of throw that kills at reasonable percents. Like how they gave Kirby a kill throw that kills around 150-160%. Maybe if all characters that don't currently have a kill throw had something like that, it would improve the overall meta. I bet a tweak like that would be able to help out some campy types of characters whose matches drag out for a long time (such as DHD).

I guess it's too late now for any tweaks but it still would have been cool to see some very deserving characters get kill throws even if they made them weak. I can totally understand the argument for keeping things the way they are, though. A lot of characters make up for a lack of kill throws in other, unique ways.

ShortcutButton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShortcutButton
There is a good mix of high tier characters that do have a kill throw and ones who don't. It doesn't look like having a kill throw immediately makes a character better.

So w/e keep it the same.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I can't understand people who compain about kill throws but forget about the Dthrow -> uair -> Up b combos that kills you at like 30%

Managomous

Smash Cadet
NNID
RanmaTheAncient
I can't understand people who compain about kill throws but forget about the Dthrow -> uair -> Up b combos that kills you at like 30%
Exaggeration much? Now i'm not defending dthrow-uair- upb combos (As I think anything that is guaranteed is kind of :/) BUT the actions required to complete this vs a shield-throw is much more input for sure (And there is room for error / DIing out of).

Shield throw = I shielded you, and now I can press A to throw you instantly. It requires the least bit of thought/skill.

I would be content if everyone had a throw-kill AND guaranteed combos. But right now, there are a lot of characters who are lacking in one department, over the other, OR they just don't have any of those two aspects but have to rely on bleh tactics (Bleh to me = Keep away tactics/projectile abuse) Or just have to play the keep away game.

Smash 4 does have a good mixup of all of this, which i'm happy about. But I definitely think work needs to be done and possibly some characters need to be revamped to keep up with the meta.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
How much "skill" it takes to do something shouldn't really matter to decide if a tool or strategy is too good or not. Competitive players are going to be able to do it no matter how hard you think it is, unless it's something extremely hard like constantly shield dropping in melee. (and those dthrow to uair combos aren't really that hard)

Last edited:

Managomous

Smash Cadet
NNID
RanmaTheAncient
Competitive players aren't perfect, and the margin of error is higher than shield-grabbing. That's just a fact. Not saying it's extremely hard, or even that much harder, but it does require more steps and thus there is a bigger chance of a mistake. Because competitive players, are still human and can make mistakes :)

MarMarTheGreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dylannumar2
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
Kill throws need to be a special perk and shouldnt be any lower than 150%

popernennins

Smash Rookie
i can agree in some areas like ness' throw, it really is overpowered. but these are on characters that have hard to hit or a small amount of kill options. i imagine sometimes its a panic maneuver.

Last edited:

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
I think the current system is actually pretty good, as it provides another factor that can be used for balancing. I also like the fact that one of the more frequent buffs given to characters is a better kill or combo throw, because it tends to be quite a big deal given how important shields are in this game (even post-patch). I have no problem with some characters having ridiculous kill throws (Bowser), and some having none (Fox). Bowser is slow and can't land, and Fox has excellent mobility and recovery. Different characters get different strengths and weaknesses, and throws are just another category to balance.

Top Bottom