• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Main and Why

Airrider

Smash Apprentice
Fox, because i'm still learning and it helps me get fast and good in general. Also it is a fact that he's a great character. The only character i refuse to play is Falco, because i think he's boring. Fox is much more legit IMO. I really think they should make both Fox and Falco like they are in PAL melee though. I might pick up another character once i get better at the game.

My secondary is Puff. I might drop her soon though... Or not...

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
I main marth because he is a good learning tool for me. He lets me space, punish when I get a correct read, and rewards me for learning. He also punishes me when I make a mistake on the ledge or when I get greedy.

My secondary is puff as well. I play her for the fun of my friends. I show newbies to Project M (or smash in general) not to rush into my uptilt>rest, and we all get some laughs out of it. I also have a really cute parka on her that makes me happy when I see her <3

Stunts

Smash Journeyman
Random

because everybody can be a good character (even G&W :p) and I tend to be at least a above-decent with everybody and pick at a whim at the same.

inb4 "enjoy maining Mario"

210stuna

Smash Lord
The feels I have towards this adoring picture captivate me to the fullest extent.

OT: I would pick Marth, Mario, Ness or Captain Falcon. I've picked on a lot of the characters nick knacks, but to dwell into them to perfection, and play competitive is something else when you have friends who don't own a copy of P:M. and only play as Gannon because that's who they mained as in Melee.

Smashiny

Smash Journeyman
Lucas, because I was about on the same level with my friends when playing other characters, but with Lucas I own them big time :p

PhantasyStar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyebre
3DS FC
1521-4107-6959
I mix a lot of characters but i'm normally Zelda/Shiek/Peach(I stand by saying that P:M Zelda is beautiful) and I am Zelda just because it seems that with every fighting game I play I ended up as a girl character somehow. Shiek also has a nightwing mod. And Peach is cute so

JohnnyGrey

Smash Rookie
Considering most of my playing experience with other people consists of FFAs or occasionally teams (which I have recently been pushing for excessively) and also because I am the most experienced player in our group (not saying much), I developed the habit of choosing random quite often. Many times I'd simply start at one end of the roster and go through its entirety. I do enjoy variety, and so even when I get to do 1v1s or practice on my own, I have a hard time narrowing down my potential list of mains (I had ~10 at one point xD). I hardly ever choose the same character twice in a row.
However, I obviously have characters that I particularly enjoy and seem to do well with. The first character I learned "how to use well", from different friends who are actually med-high level players, was Peach. I just love her recovery options, turnip game and aerials.
I picked up Sheik because the biggest threat at the time was my friend's Marth.
Those are probably my two best. I'd probably use them if I ever did anything serious.

However, I do love playing as Ganon, Puff and Zelda quite a bit too!

ItalianStallion

Smash Journeyman
shaky floor has always been his best move
I have been experimenting with Bacon, and oh my gosh it's so good! I would say it's on equal footing as Falco's laser and can be used in the same way.

Short-Hop--->Double Bacon (Opponent will normally shield to avoid incoming bacon)--->D-Tilt (Will normally cause them to drop shield, or shield poke. Opponent flies up into air and gets hit by falling bacon and deals with hitstun)--->Free fair on hit-stunned opponent. I would say that that approach is bread and butter for him. Even if their shield holds the whole time, you're normally far away enough to avoid a shield grab. If you want to mix things up, replace d-tilt with a single jab and replace the fair with a grab.

EDIT: Sorry for veering off topic. I got really excited and wanted to talk about G&W.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Not sure who my main is at this point, but I've been using these three characters:
Lucario: I still think he's a hype guy with a hype playstyle.
Wolf: His combos with throws are really fun to pull off.
Zero Suit Samus: Forward air.

^Yeah, making a cage with the bacon is fun. It messes me up sometimes, but it's fun.

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
Considering most of my playing experience with other people consists of FFAs or occasionally teams (which I have recently been pushing for excessively) and also because I am the most experienced player in our group (not saying much), I developed the habit of choosing random quite often. Many times I'd simply start at one end of the roster and go through its entirety. I do enjoy variety, and so even when I get to do 1v1s or practice on my own, I have a hard time narrowing down my potential list of mains (I had ~10 at one point xD). I hardly ever choose the same character twice in a row.
However, I obviously have characters that I particularly enjoy and seem to do well with. The first character I learned "how to use well", from different friends who are actually med-high level players, was Peach. I just love her recovery options, turnip game and aerials.
I picked up Sheik because the biggest threat at the time was my friend's Marth.
Those are probably my two best. I'd probably use them if I ever did anything serious.

However, I do love playing as Ganon, Puff and Zelda quite a bit too!

That's pretty cool! You develop lots of different play styles which allows you to adapt to almost any character or circumstance!

a vehicle

Smash Apprentice
I read this thread and I thought people on this forum were more into playstyle than pure fandom, turns out that everyone plays X because [insert cheesy quote from character] or "omg X is so kewl lolol xDD" which IMO is really sad because that tells me that people wouldn't play any of the SSB games if it didn't feature their character of choice.
For all my mains, which are many, I've never played their games, not even one (Falco, Marth, Lucas, Captain Falcon and Fox)
I've played games involving most of the rest of the cast, but I'm not really into their fighting technique.

I can't really say why, it's a matter of feel... but looking at my main list seems that I enjoy gimping other people

Sir Combee

Smash Apprentice
Sheilda for me. I am always attracted to characters that offer a lot of versatility, and being able to transform between Zelda and Sheik mid match gives me a wide variety of tools to deal with different play styles I am up against.

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I love when people use Zelda and Sheik, it makes fights more interesting and gives more variety for one fight!

Rarik

Smash Journeyman
I read this thread and I thought people on this forum were more into playstyle than pure fandom, turns out that everyone plays X because [insert cheesy quote from character] or "omg X is so kewl lolol xDD" which IMO is really sad because that tells me that people wouldn't play any of the SSB games if it didn't feature their character of choice.

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I started playing Smash at an age (~6-7) where "omg X is so [cool]" was the only thing that mattered, and since that character (Link) was how I learned to play Smash, that playstyle just kinda stuck with me. I would certainly believe that other people have had a similar experience with Smash bros.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Not even sure I have a main in this game. It used to be Marth but now that I am more into Melee I just play him there and don't enjoy him in this game as much. I guess Sheik is my new main, maybe I will use more Charizard as he feels like more like a Project M character then Sheik or Marth.

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Metroid and LoZ are my two favorite series, Samus and Link just so happens to have playstyles that I really enjoy. I love characters that have a great variety of projectiles that can be used for different things like zoning, camping, or stage control. I second Snake in P:M, and I have never played a Metal Gear game. But I like his playstyle and all the tricks he has with his explosives and CQC shenanigans.

Zolom

Smash Apprentice
My favorite character is Pit. Sadly, I don't have any history with the character like I do with Mario or Samus or Link. However, the whole angel thing appeals to me right from the start. Having an awesome double-edged blade that can be used as a bow is just wicked cool, and the use of a shield adds to that cool factor. My girlfriend can do character texturing, so she made me my own Pit skin, where everything down the Hyrulian lettering on my blade adds to seeing a truly bad-ass character. I've always tried to be the aerial fighter in any game I've played when going multiplayer, and Pit fits just that. The feeling of shooting an arrow into a grab, down-throw into nair, nair, nair, mid-air arrow, and fairing someone into the wall feels so great.

He is very balanced in all statistics, with numbers being toward the high-middle (good-average), with only his grab range at a low. This balance allows for all sorts of different play styles, and gives me the opportunity to find all sorts of new combos to utilize against the rest of the roster. Finding something no one has seen before, and chaining it together into an inescapable combo leaves the jaws dropping. Pit's recovery is terrific. The other day I was playing an old melee buddy, we spent months (I calculated at one time) of in-game play time together. He knocked me very close to death, being just under the FD platform, and nearly deathing to the wall. He dashed, he taunted, he thought it was golden, but a jump, side-b fly, jump and an up-B secured my safety. He just says "...bs", good feeling there. His ledge guarding is absolutely amazing, and when Pit is being played by a sniper with those arrows, he can often kill someone over the ledge just by using arrows.

In 2v2 he is a great partner. Firstly, his arrows can pelt the enemy and disrupt a combo, and when in the hands of a great Pit player, he can save his teammate which would have otherwise been a wall or floor death by hitting his teammate with arrows allowing them to continuously up-b to safety. When partnered with a ground-brawler, he can take to the skies to secure that kill, or jump off the edge to end someone trying to recover and have no problems getting back up. All his moves are very controlled, and relatively average in size (hit-box), meaning I can leap right into the fray of it and with safely controlled moves hammer the enemy and not my teammate.

I feel Pit is even more fun to watch than play, when in the hands of a great player. A spectacle of back and forth, arrows and melee strikes, and a ground to air game makes him so entertaining to watch. Needless to say, the feeling of doing these things is just as fun.

P.S: In case nobody is aware (and nobody seems to be) Pit's up-tilt needs to be toned down. Up-tilting a big, heavy character to at least 100% with no chance of escape isnt fair, even a regular weighted character can stack to 40-60% with just up-tilting. I'm a Pit player and I say it needs a nerf!

Dubforce

Smash Sidius
ROB - Because I couldn't pick a main and then I went to my first every tourney and said "**** it ill play ROB" and I got 7th. I enjoyed the matches and I enjoy ROBs playstyle.

Its about time I picked a main anyways.

Darkgun

Smash Journeyman
In Project M, I main Lucario and Bowser, which were my main and secondary, respectively, in Brawl.

Lucario's design in Brawl, the more injury, more power element, was what got me playing him (as a "main", though I was considerably better with Ike), and eventually I stumbled into an "I like characters that are all martial artsy." phase (in which I even picked up a "Monk...thing" in my first DnD game hosted by a friend) which kind of solidified the selection. Eventually, I was forced to learn air play with him, due to his overall lacking ability on the ground, and my lack of understanding of HOW to use tilts intentionally. In Project M, however, I was enlightened a bit. I had played a little with combo characters in B+, but never a combocentric character. Needless to say, nothing truly feels as awesome to perform as jab>jab>jab>ftilt>FP>DA>utilt>usmash[>JC>fair>DTC>Nair[>DT] or >JC>FP>Nair[>DT]]>uTaunt.

Bowser I picked when a few of my buddies said "Hey, let's go get G-Tier characters and learn to play them. You can't pick what you already know." And thus, I got Bowser. After laughing hysterically at how fun he was, I was set on him. Project M rolls around, and... eehehehe. Super Armor was meant to be abused, so much so that I could be taken to court on charges for said abuse. Also shaking the screen: I cannot wait for a Bowser ditto.

Kris Sweetser

Smash Cadet
i play zss cause of her hit comfirms. her whip just sets up up for combos with her up tilt and can reset them for long combos . her down smash is good for stun and with the laser gun of hers shes just a damage dealing boss . i love zss. although i played marth longer i find her funner but not as fancy as good old marth .

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
My main is actually different in Melee. I main Falcon in P:M because he feels very smooth and natural to me.

I don't play luigi because he feels very unnatural, and truly doesn't have that "slippery feel". It feels forced

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Ganon. Perfectly spaced L Canceled Fairs is the most satisfying thing to land ever, Dthrow, easy as hell to maneuver optimally as far as wavedash/landing consistently, several attacks that go straight through shields, most fun tech chasing game imo, u/b/dair, f/dtilt, jab.

Zolom

Smash Apprentice
I can't say I know for sure, as my experience with truly decent players is pretty minimal. However, from what little experience I have with players who know DI, good DI at that, they can have a very, very hard time escaping it. Heavy characters can really have a hard time as well. Much of it depends on per-emptively knowing where your opponent is DI'ing, and make that slight side-step to keep it going. I just want to see PM going all the way, and even racking up 30-40% off one of spammable move makes me nervous. Its the same with Wario's down-smash, it needs a change, even just a smaller reduction in size would do. Yes its tech-able, but when the player sees it coming, you're a side-b away from death or being knocked off the ledge. Easy kills suck, awesome, skill-based kills feel great and are a thrill to watch.

Dubforce

Smash Sidius
There are always going to be easy ways to kill people in a fighting game, especially one like smash (see shinespike). Warios Dsmash isn't a problem really, just tech and hold shield (I don't know for sure but I feel like this would work fine). Thats pretty specific, but basically you just have to be ready to outsmart your opponent, especially if they are known the get "cheese" kills when available.

And I'm pretty sure that good DI would make pits utilt hit only once or twice, but I'm not sure.

Top Bottom