• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Favorite Cooperative Games

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
I know this site has a bit of a focus on competitive stuff, but I'm curious, what are your favorite cooperative games or game modes that you've played?

These are some that come to mind for me:
  • Phantasy Star Zero (DS): I had a lot of fun being part of a group on PSO World that played this game online together. It's relatively simple, but there's decent variety in classes and I feel like the art style is pretty distinctive (I prefer it to the one used for PSO2 personally). There's not much of a penalty if you or one of your party members messes up, so I think it's pretty welcoming to new players and I never really saw anyone get angry at anyone else for not healing in time or not doing enough damage or whatever. My experience playing with random people online was also very positive; people were generally very polite. The game has some serious nostalgic value for most anyone who played PSO.
  • Super Mario 3D World (Wii U): co-op in this game is just fun. I feel like 3D World was optimized for co-op play a little better than New Super Mario Bros. Wii since there's enough space for all the players in most levels and not a lot of stuff (aside from the final world maybe) where having more players seemed more like a hindrance than a help. I think the unique abilities of each of the characters also makes co-op more fun since each person can use their abilities to their advantage in certain levels without feeling useless in others. While there's some skill involved in the game, I think even people who don't have a ton of experience with platformers can enjoy 3D World, which is a big positive for me.
  • Nintendo Land (Pikmin Adventure, Legend of Zelda: Battle Quest, Metroid Blast) (Wii U): I think the Nintendo Land team attractions generally did a good job of balancing out players' responsibilities and making co-op accessible while also providing some harder levels if people want to try them. I think the controls of the co-op games are one of their strong points.
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2/3/3 & Knuckles (Genesis, etc.): the option for a second player to play as Tails isn't quite as in depth as a lot of co-op options are, but I think it's pretty cool that someone can hop in at any time and help Sonic out. I'd really like to see this type of option return in future 3D Sonic games.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
There's been quite a bit of games with co-op that I've liked. Starting off with 2, it'd be Joe & Mac and Kirby's Superstar.

Joe & Mac was a pretty fun SNES game. Featured some parts where co-op really helps.

Eggggggggggbert

Smash Apprentice
My best friend and I really enjoy playing through games that aren't very good or are just lacking all together. The experience very quickly becomes more fun just because we need to survive is such a poorly generated world rather than enjoying the "quality gaming experience" the company attempted to provide. Some games that come to mind are FEAR 3, Cry of Fear and an abundance of poorly made indie Steam games.

Borderlands 2 is a lot of fun, I've spent a lot of time with friends in that game and the original Borderlands before that.
Alien Swarm is a surprisingly great team orientated game that's free on Steam. It's surprisingly strategical.
Dark Souls 2 is an extremely fun game in general, let alone when you play with a friend.

moist teabag

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3110-5189-1454
My best friend and I really enjoy playing through games that aren't very good or are just lacking all together. The experience very quickly becomes more fun just because we need to survive is such a poorly generated world rather than enjoying the "quality gaming experience" the company attempted to provide. Some games that come to mind are FEAR 3, Cry of Fear and an abundance of poorly made indie Steam games.

Borderlands 2 is a lot of fun, I've spent a lot of time with friends in that game and the original Borderlands before that.
Alien Swarm is a surprisingly great team orientated game that's free on Steam. It's surprisingly strategical.
Dark Souls 2 is an extremely fun game in general, let alone when you play with a friend.
Dark souls is way too underrated co-op game if you ask me.

Eggggggggggbert

Smash Apprentice
Dark souls is way too underrated co-op game if you ask me.
It's super fun when you replay with co-operative builds in mind. We build our characters specifically to compliment each other, we did a Mario Bros run once and a Kirby/King Dedede one too. It's a blast!

moist teabag

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3110-5189-1454
It's super fun when you replay with co-operative builds in mind. We build our characters specifically to compliment each other, we did a Mario Bros run once and a Kirby/King Dedede one too. It's a blast!
Hahaha, that's awesome. Haven't really had anyone to do that with though, sounds amazing

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
This game. My God, this game is awesome.

Aside from that, probably Gauntlet.
I haven't seen too many people outside of PSOWorld who have played PSZ. It's not a super sophisticated game, sure, but I did find it pretty entertaining and I think it did a good job of catering to fans of the series. One of my favorite memories of the game was going online with a group of people, doing the photon blast glitch to be invincible during the last phase of its boss fight, and then beating it with our bare hands. I think it's a shame that going online with the game isn't possible anymore, especially since the Western release of PSO2 has been delayed for a while.

I probably should have mentioned Double Dash too. While the idea of having co-op Mario Kart might have been a little odd, I think it could be pretty fun once you got used to your role and could coordinate side swipes and turbo boosts and stuff like that.

Last edited:
Monster Hunter is probably the best co-op series I've played. Even playing with random people isn't that annoying, either. Unless they're new to Monster Hunter and they're using the long sword and they're just swinging everywhere and Jesus please stop hitting me you idiot.

Peace Walker had some pretty fun co-op as well. A must-play for any fans of cardboard boxes.

Inclemence

Smash Rookie
There's too many for me to choose a single favorite, but I have a few per genre.

For party games, it'd probably Double Dash, or Mario Party 5. I have a pretty huge family, so back in the day we'd have a weekly get together at a relative's place and I'd always bring my gamecube to go HAM with my cousins. Just the adrenaline and competitiveness nature of my family made the experience more fun and memorable.

For FPS, Star Wars Battlefront 2 or Borderlands 2. one of my favorite things to do as a kid was going to a friend or cousins house and doing LAN battlefront, usually with a party of 3-5. Doing space battles or controlling one the Jedi got me addicted right from the start. Borderlands, i don't know. Maybe its the chaotic nature of the game or the constant **** that happens, but eh, my summer disappearing from trying to 100% the game (in a sense) was a blast.

For other games, Portal, Dark Souls II, or Halo (the series in general). Portal and Dark Souls frustrated the hell of my friends and I starting it, but they were just games that we couldn't stop playing, especially dark souls. The teamwork left a pretty satisfying feeling after every puzzle or boss cleared. Halo wise I just loved playing and ****ing around with people during the campaign.

Last edited:
Top Bottom