• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Young Link Discussion

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
I personally prefer using YL for Peach/Puff rather than Falco (there's just more room for error, whereas with Falco you mess up once and you die).

Mario can cape all your projectiles, and his Dthrow alone is very devastating for YL. There's not much you have against him.

By the way guys, what do you ban against Peach/Puff???

Why Thank you :)
Yeah, I thought about that as well.... I will probably pick up YL for that matchup. Back to the lab for me :)

Ahh, okay, I was just looking at matchups and it seemed random for me considering Mario is not too good himself. But that does make sense.

Autometrics1

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, is there a reason we don't see down tilt being used for edgeguarding and lower % kills? Is it just not a good option most of the time? I feel like it's sneaky enough to mix in once in awhile considering how limited yL's KO options are.

.toasty

Smash Cadet
I find that it is hard to get the enemy off the ledge, (your grab is punishable and your moves have low knockback) that being said, it seems crazy to let someone back without a punish especially with all of your options (Nair, BOMBS, arrows, d-tilt, d-smash)

Laijin

Smash Hero
Actually Young Link wins vs Mario.
Mario cannot cape all of your projectiles unless he is frame perfect or something. More than not your projectiles will just explode in his face if he tries to cape it. You also wreck him when you are underneath him and are better in close combat. So yeah...I highly disagree with that lol. I also think YL wins against Dr. Mario for the exact same reasons.

Hey guys, is there a reason we don't see down tilt being used for edgeguarding and lower % kills? Is it just not a good option most of the time? I feel like it's sneaky enough to mix in once in awhile considering how limited yL's KO options are.
I use d-tilt for kills. The setup I use is bomb Z-Drop -> d-tilt for edge guards if they are coming from underneath. The bomb pops them up for a d-tilt. Most people won't see it coming the first time so its hard to react to at first. Makes for easy surrpise kills if they are unfamiliar with YL.

Last edited:

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
Actually Young Link wins vs Mario.
Mario cannot cape all of your projectiles unless he is frame perfect or something. More than not your projectiles will just explode in his face if he tries to cape it. You also wreck him when you are underneath him and are better in close combat. So yeah...I highly disagree with that lol. I also think YL wins against Dr. Mario for the exact same reasons.

I use d-tilt for kills. The setup I use is bomb Z-Drop -> d-tilt for edge guards if they are coming from underneath. The bomb pops them up for a d-tilt. Most people won't see it coming the first time so its hard to react to at first. Makes for easy surrpise kills if they are unfamiliar with YL.

But I have looked up threads and matchups and it all says Mario pretty much ****s YL... A decent counter. I mean I wont worry since I mean lets be honest what are there like 2 Mario mains out there? (A Rookie and..... Scorpion Master) Plus I wouldn't use YL against a character like Mario anyways.

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
I personally prefer using YL for Peach/Puff rather than Falco (there's just more room for error, whereas with Falco you mess up once and you die).

Mario can cape all your projectiles, and his Dthrow alone is very devastating for YL. There's not much you have against him.

Okay, so I know you use YL for the Jiggs/Peach matchup... Do you use it for IC's as well? Because if so how on earth do you do that? Also I probably shouldn't grab against a jiggs cause I will get ****ed if I whiff it correct? Not that I am trying to copy you, I just think using YL instead of Fox for these matchups is way more badass than Fox could ever be. Haha.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
YL does fine against mario lmao.
just throw stuff at him and make him approach you.

He can do some jank stuff if he camps the top platform though because YL is slow.

But w/e. A Rookie is pretty much the only mario.
Scorp only comes around when mango's had a few to drink or he's teaming with abate.

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
YL does fine against mario lmao.
just throw stuff at him and make him approach you.

He can do some jank stuff if he camps the top platform though because YL is slow.

But w/e. A Rookie is pretty much the only mario.
Scorp only comes around when mango's had a few to drink or he's teaming with abate.
Hahaha, I know I was just kidding about the Mario mains... A Rookie is too sick though.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Okay, so I know you use YL for the Jiggs/Peach matchup... Do you use it for IC's as well? Because if so how on earth do you do that? Also I probably shouldn't grab against a jiggs cause I will get ****ed if I whiff it correct? Not that I am trying to copy you, I just think using YL instead of Fox for these matchups is way more badass than Fox could ever be. Haha.
There is no shame in copying Axe, copying top players until you develope your own style is how you get good.
YL gets crapped on by ICs. But if you play big boy link he destroys them.

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
There is no shame in copying Axe, copying top players until you develope your own style is how you get good.
YL gets crapped on by ICs. But if you play big boy link he destroys them.
Seriously? But IC's could run circles around Link I thought.... How so?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Seriously? But IC's could run circles around Link I thought.... How so?
My set with stro from awhile back sums it up pretty well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMrV1o-SCmM

Neither of us were super serious this set, but this is basically how it goes down.
It's not as much about the mobility, it's about links ability to kill nana super easily.
As long as you are using your projectiles efficiently, it makes their movement really sloppy.
ICs are fast on the ground, but way slower in the air (similar to luigi), so when you force them in to shield or into the air, you can take advantage with utilts/usmashes/uairs
when they shield, spaced grapple is actually very safe so long as you don't use it predictably and whiff. Once you get a grab, fthrow is good at smacking the other climber to prevent getting punished easily.
UpB also completely destroys nana since she DIs and recovers like an idiot.

YL is faster and can still do stuff, but his lack of range and not having link's broken ass upB makes the matchup waaaay harder because ICs can pretty much blizzard and fair/bair wall him all day.

Laijin

Smash Hero
But I have looked up threads and matchups and it all says Mario pretty much ****s YL... A decent counter. I mean I wont worry since I mean lets be honest what are there like 2 Mario mains out there? (A Rookie and..... Scorpion Master) Plus I wouldn't use YL against a character like Mario anyways.
Trust me. No one in those threads probably have no idea what their talking about when it comes to Young Link. The things you've read on there are probably not applicable/doesn't matter.
YL does great against Mario and always has.

YL vs Icies is easy. Just throw **** at them. Icies rely on grabs, and YL is hard to grab.

YL vs Ganon is wonky cause Ganon can kill you early. I'm still unsure about this one.

Last edited:

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
My set with stro from awhile back sums it up pretty well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMrV1o-SCmM

Neither of us were super serious this set, but this is basically how it goes down.
It's not as much about the mobility, it's about links ability to kill nana super easily.
As long as you are using your projectiles efficiently, it makes their movement really sloppy.
ICs are fast on the ground, but way slower in the air (similar to luigi), so when you force them in to shield or into the air, you can take advantage with utilts/usmashes/uairs
when they shield, spaced grapple is actually very safe so long as you don't use it predictably and whiff. Once you get a grab, fthrow is good at smacking the other climber to prevent getting punished easily.
UpB also completely destroys nana since she DIs and recovers like an idiot.

YL is faster and can still do stuff, but his lack of range and not having link's broken *** upB makes the matchup waaaay harder because ICs can pretty much blizzard and fair/bair wall him all day.
No offense, but I feel like you just had no matchup knowledge in the match.... You were like a deer in headlights in some instances. Don't get me wrong Stro is a great Link so idk.

downbfordays

Smash Cadet
I feel like Ganon is the embodiment of YL'S matchups, he takes forever to kill, but he only needs like 2 hits on you :/ his up air also has a lot of range and is good at poking through platforms

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
No offense, but I feel like you just had no matchup knowledge in the match.... You were like a deer in headlights in some instances. Don't get me wrong Stro is a great Link so idk.
I have more recent matches with him, but this is the only recorded set. trust me, its not a good mu.
Also ICs don't grab YL at all unless they are going for a wobble or low-percent sopo cg.
ICs just camp him out super hard. It's a lame MU. It's pretty free, honestly. YL doesn't have the tools to deal with blizzard walls.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
thats not saying much considering how hard pika gets rekt by ics. or at least my pika <_<
a lot of the cast does significantly better vs ics than pika imo

derf, i imagine yl would win the attrition war vs ics
but im not a low tier theorycrafter so what do i know

Magnawolf

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't say YL counters ICs. At the end of the day, it's still ICs and you're still YL. It's probably 50/50 at best which seems great considering the discrepancy between ICs and YL on the tier list.

Someone was talking about Marth vs YL earlier. I think YL does relatively well against Marth as well (I still think it's in Marth's favor though). YL is way faster and can run away and pull out bombs and Marth can't do much. He basically gets a free approach when he has a bomb in his hand. Also, YL does well against Marth in super close range because of how great YL's nair is. YL also edgeguards pretty well against Marth.

Fox/Falco is still ridiculously hard for YL. They're too fast for YL and his out of shield options don't work as well. Falco's lasers stop a lot of YL's projectile game as well. YL has to get to the point where you're basically the Armada of YL players: perfect punishes and perfect edge guarding.

This is a tough one. Bigger stages mean more room to run around and take advantage of his speed, but it also means killing them is a lot harder. Personally, I like running around so I would probably ban FoD against Peach because of how well she can control space there and the ceiling is higher compared to Yoshi's. I'm not sure what I'd ban against a Puff though.

I main Falco and Peach. I am not having troubles with any Jigglypuff's but I want to be prepared when I do face a good one. Is investing my time in Young Link a good idea to play against Jiggs/Peach? I enjoy the character so... having fun is not the issue, I would just like to have a good investment than just wasting my time with a secondary.
Not trying to deter you away from an awesome character but using Fox would probably be way easier.

How does Young Link do against Ganon?
Ban Yoshi's, try to go to FD (Ganon's worst stage by far). I think Dreamland is also good because you're most likely going to be killing off the sides and ledgeguarding Ganon's bad recovery and you get to live longer. The matchup seems doable, Ganon, can't really handle projectiles if you have enough space.

Last edited:

Laijin

Smash Hero
Nah. Falco isn't that bad vs Young Link. His recovery is ***** and his vertical approach is also slow as balls. Hes not that fast. And he can't take advantage of approaching from the air since Young Link is better than him when he is above YL's head.
Fox on the other hand...too fast.

vs anyone, **** FD. No platforms means no camping. I'll take Yoshis over FD all day.

Magnawolf

Smash Apprentice
Nah. Falco isn't that bad vs Young Link.
No. Any good Falco completely runs over YL. The matchup is terrible. Just because Falco's recovery sucks means nothing. His recovery sucks against Sheik and Marth yet Falco still beats them. YL isn't as good as either of those at edge guarding and his neutral game vs Falco is waaaaay worse than marth or sheiks neutral. Hell, even Pikachu does way better against Falco than YL, which is sad because Pikachu gets bopped.

vs anyone, **** FD. No platforms means no camping. I'll take Yoshis over FD all day.
I don't think you understand how bad Ganon is on FD. Ganon on FD is way worse than YL on FD. YS is actually a good stage for Ganon too.

Last edited:

Laijin

Smash Hero
Falco beats YL, yes. But its not an unwinnable match up. YL has a slightly better neutral game than Falco. The easy edge guards are just icing on the cake.

I don't think you understand how bad Young Link is without platforms lol

downbfordays

Smash Cadet
The thing about Falco is that you can combo him like fox, but he's not fast so you can out speed him, and it doesn't take a million attempts to finally seal an edge guard

Laijin

Smash Hero
I played Zhu for like 30 minutes straight yesterday. Being that every match was close, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about with my Falco match up experience lol since hes like top 5 Falcos in the world.

Last edited:

hamyojo

Smash Ace
I'm thinking about dropping Fox and putting Young Link in his place for my secondary... I'm a Yoshi main and I do very well against all the top tiers in my area except Puff. Peach is tough, but I'm good at that MU.
My main obsticles are definitely Puff and Peach, and I don't enjoy practicing Fox enough to keep him up with my Yoshi.

I've always liked YL, and I want to take him more seriously, if only for the Puff MU. I'm really tech skill heavy and I can already do a lot of grapple and bomb shenanagins, but I'm also pretty patient.

I've been studying a lot of ARmada, Axe, and Laigin vids, y'all make this char look pretty cool! Maybe soon there will be more of me here, but any starting tips of bad habits to watch out for or something?

Last edited:

.toasty

Smash Cadet
Does anyone on this board play net play?
I do, contact me if interested.

I'm thinking about dropping Fox and putting Young Link in his place for my secondary... I'm a Yoshi main and I do very well against all the top tiers in my area except Puff. Peach is tough, but I'm good at that MU.
My main obsticles are definitely Puff and Peach, and I don't enjoy practicing Fox enough to keep him up with my Yoshi.

I've always liked YL, and I want to take him more seriously, if only for the Puff MU. I'm really tech skill heavy and I can already do a lot of grapple and bomb shenanagins, but I'm also pretty patient.

I've been studying a lot of ARmada, Axe, and Laigin vids, y'all make this char look pretty cool! Maybe soon there will be more of me here, but any starting tips of bad habits to watch out for or something?
I honestly think Young Link counters Peach fairly hard (or I just have a really bad Peach in my friendcircle) Anyhow, as for habits, avoid becoming predictable with your spam game, mixing it up is really important.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
I honestly think Young Link counters Peach fairly hard (or I just have a really bad Peach in my friendcircle) Anyhow, as for habits, avoid becoming predictable with your spam game, mixing it up is really important.
Will look out for that.

Wow, guys, after playing this character more seriously for a few days I've realized he's so odd in so many little ways, I love it. Back air is prob my favorite move of his, it feels so safe on shield, especially when I can jump at the end of it. I adore all the little technical tricks I'm finding that I never knew he had, and it's clear there's still lots more to discover about this character.
Fortress hogging(?) from the side platforms on to the ledge for a ledge hog is so silly and fun to watch, Young Link is best Beyblade.

What's everone's vie on using the chain in the air to tell floaties to go away? I've tried it a few times, never really feel safe doing it, but I swear it has a use somehow, somewhere.

Magnawolf

Smash Apprentice
I played Zhu for like 30 minutes straight yesterday. Being that every match was close, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about with my Falco match up experience lol since hes like top 5 Falcos in the world.
I still stand by the matchup being bad. It's close to 30-70 for YL. At best it's 40-60. I can't really take you seriously when you say YL has a better neutral game than Falco. Falco/Fox have the best neutrals in the game.

What's everone's vie on using the chain in the air to tell floaties to go away? I've tried it a few times, never really feel safe doing it, but I swear it has a use somehow, somewhere.
I usually only do it if I accidently air dodge and the opponent thinks it's a free punish then I pull out the hookshot lol.

Last edited:

Magnawolf

Smash Apprentice
For a low tier vs the second best character in the game 60-40 is an AMAZING matchup
I was being pretty generous when I said 40-60. It's definitely closer to 30-70. Regardless, you shouldn't really consider 40-60 or 30-70 to be an amazing match-up even if one character is drastically lower on the tier list than the other. A bad match-up is still a bad match-up.

I honestly don't understand how you can say Falco is a good match-up when he's definitely a part of YL's top 3 WORST match-ups (Fox, Falco, Sheik). YL vs Marth would be closer to 40-60.

Last edited:

Laijin

Smash Hero
I honestly don't understand how you can say Falco is a good match-up when he's definitely a part of YL's top 3 WORST match-ups (Fox, Falco, Sheik). YL vs Marth would be closer to 40-60.
Really just sounds like you don't know how to play the match up personally. I wouldn't put Falco as one of YL's top 3 worst. When my opponent chooses Falco, you'll see the biggest grin come across my face cause I'm about to have some fun.

YL's worst match ups top 3 are Fox, Falcon and Sheik in that order. Extend it to top 5 and you have it followed by Marth and then maybe Falco. But even Ganon is way harder to fight than Falco.

Magnawolf

Smash Apprentice
Really just sounds like you don't know how to play the match up personally. I wouldn't put Falco as one of YL's top 3 worst. When my opponent chooses Falco, you'll see the biggest grin come across my face cause I'm about to have some fun.

YL's worst match ups top 3 are Fox, Falcon and Sheik in that order. Extend it to top 5 and you have it followed by Marth and then maybe Falco. But even Ganon is way harder to fight than Falco.
Not sure how you concluded that I don't know how to play the match-up. Just because I said Falco is a bad match-up does not mean I don't know how to play it. You're trying to shut down my argument by spontaneously concluding I don't know the match-up, which is a fallacy.

Okay let's actually discuss this match-up (that's what this thread is for, right?). I didn't think I was saying anything wrong by initially stating Falco runs over Young Link and I still stand by that statement, but if you and others disagree, here's my case for why Young Link vs Falco is a terrible match-up.

While http://www.eventhubs.com/tiers/ssbm/ is still in its infancy, this website provides a lot of accurate data, voted on by users, regarding the tier list in SSBM and every match-up in the game. I agree with a majority of the information that's put up on there.

Here's a match-up chart for Young Link

http://www.eventhubs.com/tiers/ssbm/character/younglink/

The chart implies that Falco is YL's worst match-up followed by Sheik and then by Fox. I actually found this website before I even mentioned Fox, Falco, Sheik being YL's top three worst match-ups (in my earlier post) but the votes tend to agree with me as well. Personally I prefer the order Fox, Falco, Sheik followed closely by Falcon. Those four match-ups are incredibly difficult for Young Link. Marth still beats Young Link but like I said, it's closer to 40-60 while the top 4 worst match-ups are closer to 30-70.

I completely disagree with you saying Falco has a better neutral game than Young Link. That's absurd (almost as absurd as that Ganon comment). It's pretty much undisputed that Fox and Falco have the best neutrals in the game. Young Link does have a pretty high neutral game to punish game ratio (maybe even the highest in the game) which means that YL can play his neutral game insanely well compared to how hard he can punish (we all know his punishes are terrible). I think maybe that's why you think YL has a better neutral than Falco.

So why does Falco beat Young Link?

-Lasers: Lasers can shut down some of Young Link's movement options and ability to pull and throw projectiles. Large stages with three platforms like Battlefield and Dreamland can help alleviate this problem but you're only going to be able to go to one of these stages per set (assuming best of 3 and that your opponent understands the match-up). That means if you ban FD (which is obvious) you're going to have to play on either Yoshi's Story, Fountain or Pokemon Stadium for two more matches assuming you win on either Dreamland or Battlefield. Not saying it's unwinnable but it's harder on those stages (Pokemon is the best choice though).

-Falco's shield pressure: One of the reasons why Fox and Falco run over Young Link is because of their shield pressure. Young Link's nair out-of-shield doesn't work well on shield pressure by YL's top 4 worst matchups (fox/falco have shine and shiek/falcon have jabs that can beat out YL's OOS nair). It's only when you start playing Marth can you actually start using YL's nair effectively out-of-shield.

A good Falco who plays the match-up well understands these main attributes that help Falco beat Young Link. Among these things are Falco's decent ability to ledge guard YL (Only Sheik and Fox are better, maybe Marth) and the fact that Falco out-prioritizes YL like crazy. Fox and Falco are the best in the game at stopping YL's projectile game, followed by Sheik. A Falco who understands the match-up will stay on top of YL the whole match, and will not let up. If a Falco does this, he will win the match.

Just for fun I youtube searched "Laijin Falco". I'm not doing this to try to discredit your playing ability (believe me, we all know you're good and one of the best Young Links) but rather to further understand the match-up. These matches do not definitively sum up the match-up but rather provide some insight on what the match-up is like (I tried to search "Axe Young Link Falco" but couldn't find much on him, probably because he would never play the match-up in tournament; Pikachu/Falco is close to 40-60 and there's no way YL/Falco is any better). Also, this is more definitive proof rather than saying "I played Zhu for 30 minutes in friendlies and they were all close matches".

NOTE: Laijin, I'm gonna refer to you in third person from now on because other people will read this post and this is no longer directed at you

First match that popped up from Pound 5.5 - Laijin vs Fonz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w6YeTSDj6U

Fonz plays this match-up terribly. The first match, he clearly doesn't understand the match-up because he basically just allows Laijin to pull out bombs and throw projectiles when he should be doing his best to prevent that. He also ends up suiciding at 13% the first game which doesn't help him. So Laijin wins.

In the second game he goes Yoshi's Story, which is a great choice. Prevents Young Link from moving around so much. In my opinion, he still doesn't play the match-up correctly (he also doesn't seem like the most technical Falco) but he manages to beat Laijin. In the third game of the set, Laijin switches to Sheik (definitely a better match-up than YL vs Falco eh?).

Second match that pops up on youtube: Laijin vs Prince Abu from Fight Pitt 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K55zulDq6zc

First two matches are not YL vs Falco so I'd rather not comment on those. Third match is on Pokemon Stadium, YL vs Falco. Laijin is playing the match-up well. Running away and using projectiles (Falco destroys YL close range). Prince Abu plays the match-up poorly for the first stock. But if you watch the second stock you'll see Prince Abu start to stay on top of YL a lot more. Also, when Laijin and Abu have three stocks each and above 80%-ish you can see Laijin trying to nair out of shield. None of them land. Nair OOS against Falco is not good and you can get punished incredibly easy unless you are 100% sure it's gonna land. Laijin ends up dying his 2nd stock due to a failed nair OOS. I don't think Laijin hits one OOS nair the whole match and loses a stock because of one. Laijin ends up losing the match/set.

The third match that pops up is emoDinosaur vs Laijin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apAGA07ydmM

I don't have time to fully watch and analyze this match but by skimming through it seems Laijin goes 1-1 in the Falco YL match-up but then Laijin switches to Sheik again for the third match after realizing YL - Falco is too hard? Or maybe just trusting his Sheik more.

I can beat a lot of Falco's with my Young Link. Can I beat Falco's who are close to my skill level and understand the match-up? No. Do I believe the best Young Link can beat the best Falco? No. And that's what a match-up is about. What happens when two equal players (ideally high level players) play a match-up and both players utilize their tools to the utmost? I believe Young Link doesn't stand a chance against Falco in this theoretical scenario.

I'm incredibly curious to see what Axe thinks about this match-up, perhaps he could provide some more insight. I'm open to any comments though.

Last edited:

AXE 09

Smash Master
ok for some reason my phone won't let me do capital letters, so sorry for no caps lol.

but in my opinion, fox and sheik are the hardest matchups for young link by far. for me, any other matchup is do-able except for those two at high levels. screw them lol.

falco might probably be third. idk who else to put above him except for possibly marth. once you learn how to powershield lasers, the matchup becomes way easier. its still hard though which is why i put him at 3rd or 4th hardest, cuz his pressure and combos are insane.

marth because hes faster than you and can constantly stay tipper range away from you, so he's fast enough to not let you get away and has the range to never let you get in on him. i'm personally pretty good at the matchup but geez it's hard lol.

idk what's the big deal with falcon? you can just keep kicking him with nairs and bairs all day and he doesnt have an answer to it, especially cuz his out-of-shield options aren't good at all. if he's trying to approach with nair, your nair will trade with his and you'll only get hit with the first kick which is weak, and he'll get hit by your stronger nair. your uair works wonders on him for combos, and your dsmash kills him so early. sends him off stage and you can just do more to edgeguard. you really dont need projectiles in this matchup. i see them as like an extra thing to have from time to time whenever you knock him away haha.
i've played a few high level falcons and they're definitely not as hard as the above characters i mentioned.
so why does everyone say the matchup vs falcon is so terrible?

downbfordays

Smash Cadet
i think people think the Falcon match up is so hard, is because it's nearly impossible to camp him, which is what of a lot of Young Link players default to in neutral. But Axe, your Young Link is insane when it comes to just going in, which is what you have to do against Falcon, I think you have the best up-close insanely fast Young Link, even though i do think Laijin has the best YL overall(he does main him after all). I love watching your YL btw Axe, although sometimes its hard to watch you rush in when it would be better to just pull a bomb >.<

Magnawolf

Smash Apprentice
marth because hes faster than you and can constantly stay tipper range away from you, so he's fast enough to not let you get away and has the range to never let you get in on him. i'm personally pretty good at the matchup but geez it's hard lol.
Yeah Marth is tough but you definitely have more tools against him than Falco. I personally understand how to fight Marth well because I consistently play the best Marth in my area. I feel like Marth doesn't have as many answers for projectiles like Falco does. And Falco's punish game on YL is way more devastating. When I play Marth, I tend to play as projectile heavy as possible during early percents and when he gets to like 40% or so that's when you can start going in and actually start comboing Marth. I really like Marth's weight for Young Link as well and edge-guarding him is fun for me lol.

i think people think the Falcon match up is so hard, is because it's nearly impossible to camp him, which is what of a lot of Young Link players default to in neutral. But Axe, your Young Link is insane when it comes to just going in, which is what you have to do against Falcon, I think you have the best up-close insanely fast Young Link, even though i do think Laijin has the best YL overall(he does main him after all). I love watching your YL btw Axe, although sometimes its hard to watch you rush in when it would be better to just pull a bomb >.<
The Falcon Young Link match-up is like the most straight forward match-up IMO for people who never play against YL (besides Sheik). I can beat some people who main Fox and then they just switch to Falcon and beat me. One reason has to do with what downbfordays said. Axe, you're really good at understanding what's safe on shield and what's not; every time I get in a close range tussle with a Falcon I end up getting grabbed and punished. Also Falcon stays on top of YL really well. Generally I lack Falcon experience as well because there are no great Falcon mains in my immediate area.

BTW I think Axe has the best YL overall. Armada's is potentially better though, I've never seen him in any other match-up besides Puff. If Armada's YL is better, it's only because he's just an overall better player. Axe's YL is way more innovative and inspiring to watch though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom