• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You don't have to use the GC controller!

What controller do you use

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Personally, I don't know anyone playing at a high level who actually discriminates what controller you use. I don't see why it really matters... unless like... you're an idiot...

I'm pretty sure any discrimination is usually just for joking purposes
The only exception is the chameleon gamestop gamecube controller.

Wired is always better than wireless but Dexter uses the Pro Controller so i think that at least is viable. No idea about the latency on other controllers but Pro has little latency if it can work at big events like Xanadu

Yellowpikmin476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yellowpikmin476
3DS FC
4854-6467-1287
I just use the 3DS as a controller. Works best for me.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
As a GC controller user I thought It would be impossible to play Smash 4 without the GC adapter. I couldn't get it on launch day so I decided to stick with the second best option being the Pro controller. And getting an adapter suddenly meant so little to me. I haven't seen it in any store still. And I'm not going to go hunting for it anytime soon. Unless I see it in a store that I passed by I can live without it for now.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Does it really matter what controller people use when playing Smash Bros.? Absolutely not. If people like to use the Wii U Pro Controller, that's totally fine for them. If they like to use the GamePad (which I use only for Off-TV Play), that's fine, too. People dissing others just cuz they don't use the GameCube Controller are complete dumb***es.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I have used the GC controller many years and loved it, but I have yet to get the adapter for Smash Wii U and am completely fine without it. I am used to the GamePad now. It's pretty comfortable. I'm sure eventually I may get the adapter so people I play with aren't forced to use the Wii remotes lol. Right now though I am in no hurry.

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
The GC controller is great, especially in Sm4sh. When I got the Wii U version, I got used to the Pro Controller because I missed the adapter before the shortage, and noticed that the Pro controller felt nowhere near as tight as the 3DS version or previous Smash game controls. I figured this was just a placebo due to only ever using GC controllers otherwise. Then, I got the Mayflash adapter last wednesday. It wasn't a placebo, the game feels much much tighter with the GC controller, and I'm enjoying myself much more.

For those of you who want an adapter but are weary of the Mayflash adapter, just get it. It feels natural and is a better option than the other second/third-party pads that require connecting through the Wiimote (they're still wireless even if people don't want to admit it, which is never good for fast-paced fighting games). The GC pads are essentially the Arcade sticks of the competitive Smash world, you can do okay with other options but you'll never see your full potential without them.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Does it really matter what controller people use when playing Smash Bros.? Absolutely not. If people like to use the Wii U Pro Controller, that's totally fine for them. If they like to use the GamePad (which I use only for Off-TV Play), that's fine, too. People dissing others just cuz they don't use the GameCube Controller are complete dumb***es.
People who judges anyone for using any controller are jerks.

And to be honest, I've seen my share of plenty judging others for using the Gamecube Controller. So let's not pretend the other side is completely innocent either.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
They're just controllers.

The difference between each is so minute it will never matter unless you play at a national level... Which 99% of you don't.

Sonic94

Smash Apprentice
IMO the best are the gcc and pro controller. The gcc has better sticks but is missing the left shoulder button which is useful for arieals. The gc also has springs on the shield buttons which will delay your shield input.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'm sorry that I prefer the GC controller for all things, not just Smash. I like the button layout because it's not that confusing "backwards-XBox" thing the other controllers have (which can and does mess me up badly when switching between consoles). So I use my WFP for virtual console games, eshop games, anything I can get away with because I simply prefer the layout in general.

That's just my opinion. I CAN use the CC/3DS/Pro when I need to. The gamepad's way too heavy, though.

Last edited:

Filler Dmon

Smash Cadet
I will say that I don't care what your controller preference is. But non-wired controllers have an disadvantage over wired controllers because we don't have to worry about each player needing to de-sync and re-sync their controllers at the end of each match.The gamecube is awesome because it's simple: plug in, and unplug when your match is over.

If you want an example of what I mean, wireless apologists, Team Spooky aired a Smash tournament on his channel, and the proceedings were constantly being interrupted by "That Guy" who just -had- to have his Pro-controller, and would accidentally mess up the set ups for other matches because it never fully wanted to disconnect.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I will say that I don't care what your controller preference is. But non-wired controllers have an advantage over wired controllers because we don't have to worry about each player needing to de-sync and re-sync their controllers at the end of each match.The gamecube is awesome because it's simple: plug in, and unplug when your match is over.

If you want an example of what I mean, wireless apologists, Team Spooky aired a Smash tournament on his channel, and the proceedings were constantly being interrupted by "That Guy" who just -had- to have his Pro-controller, and would accidentally mess up the set ups for other matches because it never fully wanted to disconnect.
I think the second sentence need to be the other way around....

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
I used the Gamecube controller all throughout Melee and Brawl, but now that I've tried the Wii U Pro controller and now I can't switch back.

_gold_

Smash Master
GC controller is love. GC controller is life.
No but seriously, it's considered one of the greatest gaming controllers ever designed.

D

Deleted member

Woah. I stay offline for 18 hours.Next thing I know I have a semi-famous forum.

Reaperfan

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I think the GCC is the best option as far as controllers go, but only for the fact that it's the only wired controller available. All the other options being wireless there's the potential for interference or minor input lag (key word being "potential") but in terms of layout they aren't inherently better or worse than the GCC. I'd personally argue due to the shoulder buttons being triggers rather than actual buttons the GCC actually places a little lower than the pro controllers mechanically, but that's more personal than if I look at it objectively.

I played Brawl and Melee exclusively with GCCs. I learned the Wiimote Pro Controller for Project M because our house didn't have enough GCCs for when everyone wanted to play and someone had to take the "not gamecube" option. Nowadays since I don't have a GCC adapter and I'm lazy I just use the Gamepad since it's already in my hands after turning the system on. My final conclusion?

As long as you can win and perform well, who cares? They all work.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
I've been having no problem using the gamepad, but believe me, if I could get my hands on one of those adapaters, I'd sure be using the gamecube controller

Stressedllamas

Smash Cadet
NNID
StressedLlamas
3DS FC
0791-2652-8027
IMO: The GCC and The WiiU Pro are about equal, but I've used the GCC more so I'll use that once my mayflash arrives on the 20th

Dekrem

Smash Cadet
For the people that don't use a gc controller. Why do you prefer your controller over the gc controller?
I have a GCC adapter, but I still like the pro controller more for smash. My main reason is that the shoulder buttons are click-only rather than slide+click, if you know what I mean. I use shoulder buttons to jump, and it was faster for me to get used to short-hopping with a click-only button than with the slide+click GCC shoulder buttons. I don't have to worry about how much I press it in with the GCC, just how quickly I tap it with the PC.

I think the GCC is the most comfortable controller for gaming overall, but for smash, I prefer PC.

Conet

Smash Cadet
I've seen many good players at tourneys that use Pro Controllers, but I still think the GameCube controller is a bit easier to use in my opinion.

Victor Marczyk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Duskblack
3DS FC
1950-8264-0245
Compared to wiimote+nunchuck? Absolutely. The wiimote+nunchuck combo is terrible for Smash IMO. The GCC and Pro controllers are about even though.
When I went to SmashFest back in June to play a demo of Sm4sh, they only had 4 pro controllers for us to use and it was very complicated because it took me my whole 4 minutes of gameplay to figure out how to use it

B_Rocka

Smash Rookie
It's usually a rule that wireless controllers aren't allowed.
they allowed me to use the wii u pro controller at paragon. i would have a GC adapter if i could find one for under 60 bucks, but its not worth it imo. plus the wii u pro is so comfy

Nate1080

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate1080
they allowed me to use the wii u pro controller at paragon. i would have a GC adapter if i could find one for under 60 bucks, but its not worth it imo. plus the wii u pro is so comfy
You can order a Mayflash GC adapter for $20 on Play-Asia.com

I have yet to get my adapter for my personal use and thus have been playing with the pro controller for the time being. It's a great controller, almost perfect but the right-stick sometimes isn't the most responsive stick, especially compared to the GCs C-Stick, as there definitely is slight but noticeable delay when you attempt to "flick" the stick multiple times in succession. This is actually a pretty big flaw for me for an otherwise really good controller. Also, how good or bad the controller is in general I think depends on the characters you use, for example being a Megaman main throwing the Metal blade in diagonal directions on the fly is more difficult on the Pro Controller than on the GC controller.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I've been playing Smash 4 with the pad since I'm waiting on the GC adapter, and outside of the same awkwardness I had with the 3DS controls, it's really not that bad.
Of course, I'm most comfortable with GC controls because that's what I've used for a good 7 years, but I have no issue "accepting that another controller is okay", I just go with what makes the game fun for me.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
i use a fightpad, a fusion of gc and classic/pro controller
it hooks up to a wii-mote yet its laid out completely like a GC controller. no wires, and all the comfort
and it was cheap to buy
its a win, win, win

volbound1700

Smash Master
A rant here against Nintendo that is a little off topic. Most people don't even have the option to use Gamecube because stupid Nintendo did not ship enough Gamecube connectors. There are Gamecube controllers being sold at Gamestop where I am at but no Gamecube hookups. They said that they had received two total. Two!! Since Smash was released.

Nintendo should have been aware of the market and shipped more of these outputs. Still, I bought some 3rd party controller and I love it. It is designed like the PS3 controller and is wireless plug-in. I am a big fan of PS3 controllers. I definitely recommend pro controllers but still plan to get Gamecube hookup since I have 4-6 gamecube controllers and I want it for big parties of players.

KingChael

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2638-1993-9117
I use the gamecube controller because I don't have to worry about battery loss, the a b x y buttons are placed so you can play smash comfortably, and you just can't beat that good old c-stick. Some techniques are also practically impossible on the wii-mote/nunchuck. If you like the orientation of the buttons of any of the other controllers then I don't see any reason to not use them.

MartianMedia

Smash Cadet
NNID
MartianMedia
3DS FC
5172-0483-1084
While I have a few input struggles with the pro controller, I still like using it just as much as the gamecube controller. It's nearly the same, just that the right stick and buttons are switched.

B_Rocka

Smash Rookie
I use the gamecube controller because I don't have to worry about battery loss, the a b x y buttons are placed so you can play smash comfortably, and you just can't beat that good old c-stick. Some techniques are also practically impossible on the wii-mote/nunchuck. If you like the orientation of the buttons of any of the other controllers then I don't see any reason to not use them.
youd be surprised how good the wii u pro battery is

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Okay so we all agree that anyone can use whatever control scheme they want right?
Creating a thread titled "You don't have to use the gc controller" makes it sound like your dissing people who use aforementioned controller. Even though it was not the threads intention to offend anyone or spark conflict, a thread like this leads to flame wars more often than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom