• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You can't completely control over who you play?

Xigger

Smash Lord
In Melee, you could play adventure mode as any character, regardless of what roles they played in the "story". But according to this team feature, you can only pick who to play according to the game's storyline. Doesn't that seem a little..... unfair?

Doc Chronic

Smash Ace
no, not really just trust sakurai. i am sure this will all come together by dec. 3 and the single player experience will be incredible

Terradrius

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure there will still be Classic and probably All-Star mode, for those of you who just want a quick experience using whoever you want.

Personally, I'm very happy with how SSE is looking.

Lumancer

Smash Apprentice
Actually, I can agree with this to an extent. The big thing for the 1 player modes, at least in the past, has been that it's a quick way to get the "feel" for certain characters before trying them out competitively. However, now that you don't get to choose your character for what will without a doubt be the most popular 1 player mode in Smash History, we're going to lose that to an extent. By contrast, it's essentially going to force us to try out everybody, even characters that we might be dismissive of because of their Melee track record. So, it has it's pros and cons- but frankly, having this AWESOME LOOKING one player mode far outweighs any inconvenience.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I agree, while it is annoying if you want to play as someone, it will, in the long run, introduce you to new characters, maybe even change your preconcieved main, or at least get you a new secondary!

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Who says classic mode is going to disappear?

That mode is EASY to throw together and requires very little time and effort.

And Sakurai may still have to make you do it at least 10 times with different people
to unlock someone...

Tanvis

Smash Cadet
What I think is gonna happen for SE is the FIRST time you play it, you have to go according to story. Which includes unlocking people, or "recruiting" them to your party as you go along. It seems that before each stage, you choose which number of chars based on the stock for that stage. For example, say you start as Mario, and you've met up with Pit and saved Zelda, and the level you are about to do has 2 stock. You then choose the combination of 2 people for that stock, and when your first choice dies, you become the next one.

What this boils down to is, when you've recruited everyone you can for that play-through and beat it, you restart SE and already have everyone on your team from your last play-through, but still have to recruit the chars that cant be gotten all at once, like Peach.

VanillaMummy

Smash Journeyman
What I think is gonna happen for SE is the FIRST time you play it, you have to go according to story. Which includes unlocking people, or "recruiting" them to your party as you go along. It seems that before each stage, you choose which number of chars based on the stock for that stage. For example, say you start as Mario, and you've met up with Pit and saved Zelda, and the level you are about to do has 2 stock. You then choose the combination of 2 people for that stock, and when your first choice dies, you become the next one.

What this boils down to is, when you've recruited everyone you can for that play-through and beat it, you restart SE and already have everyone on your team from your last play-through, but still have to recruit the chars that cant be gotten all at once, like Peach.
That's what I was thinking as well. Kind of like a New Game + type deal that they use in RPGs.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
In Melee, you could play adventure mode as any character, regardless of what roles they played in the "story". But according to this team feature, you can only pick who to play according to the game's storyline. Doesn't that seem a little..... unfair?
How is it unfair? Thats the whole point of a Story Line.

NintendoWarrior

Smash Lord

I'd really like that idea.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
Play the game before you jump to conclusions.

Or else when it is released you may end up looking like a fool.

blerb

Smash Journeyman
How is it unfair? Thats the whole point of a Story Line.
the fact that sakurai said each character would have their own background, is how it's unfair.

I still think you'll unlock stories as you unlock characters. so say, you start out with kirby's and mario's story. say I unlock, err, Captian Olimar and Captain Falcon. if they had the story together (with other characters too, like starters) then their stories would be unlocked too, along with, say, pikachu's story. I hope that's the way it works...

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
SE seems to be turning out a lot like I said it would, as far as having the character dictated by the story. What I didn't foresee was being able to switch characters when you die, or having a 2nd player accompany you. Those are both welcome additions, but I was still mostly right about the nature of the mode.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: DO WANT

Zevox

Smash Lord
No, no it doesn't. Its a part of the game having an actual self-contained, consistant storyline to begin with. Seems to me to be a huge step up from Melee's sorry excuse for an adventure mode (which was essentially a rearranged classic mode plus some non-combat areas).

blerb said:
the fact that sakurai said each character would have their own background, is how it's unfair.
He never said that, though. Re-read the Subspace Emissary update:

What is the Subspace Emissary? said:
The Adventure mode also emphasizes character development. You’ll see many famous characters persevering under the weight of their personal histories, shouldering their unique burdens... It’s really something you won’t see anywhere else.
Many characters (not every) going through unique character development (something which by no means requires them to have separate, individualized stories). If you misinterpreted the statement to mean that every character would have their own separate story for the mode, thats your fault, not Sakurai's.

Zevox

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
you got it all wrong. you pick youre character first then that will determine what part of the story libne you come in at. then you meet other characters=more lives(i think:confused:).

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
you got it all wrong. you pick youre character first then that will determine what part of the story libne you come in at. then you meet other characters=more lives(i think:confused:).
The amount of control regarding character usage in SSE has not been confirmed or completely clarified... right now you are simply making assumptions.

But at the moment it looks a tad more linear then that without further information to back up any differences.

Top Bottom