• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You Can Cancel Landing Lag With Item Toss [Limited To Peach, TL, And Link]

B0NK

Smash Lord

Go to 0:55 if the embed doesn't.

The input is Down+B with an item in your hand. If a character cannot throw an item with down+b input, they cannot do this. The technique is limited to Peach, Link, and Toon Link since they are the only characters that can toss an item with down+b.

Discuss.

Last edited:

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Link, Peach, B jr, toon LInk, Diddy and a bunch of people just got real.

EDIT:
Seems like this only works with Peach, Link, and toon link.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Just press down-b with an item in your hand.
Thanks. I never throw items by pressing Down-B so I didn't realize what I was doing wrong :p.

So basically you can only throw the item forward then?

Also does anyone know how that aerial momentum thing after you're hit by a bob-omb is done?

Last edited:

ZeroBlindDragon

Smash Apprentice
This programming overlook (?) makes Peach such an excellent character... This is Float Canceling - Vegetable Toss Edition. Heck, this cancels hitsun in addition to landing lag.

We're pretty excited about this on the Peach sub-forum!

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Not only can megaman up-b out of multi hit moves, he can now cancel his landing lag with a metal blade.

Yikes.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Not only can megaman up-b out of multi hit moves, he can now cancel his landing lag with a metal blade.
Nope, MM neutral-B is not an item toss. It's a custom projectile like Snake's.

Pressing neutral-B with an item in your hand does nothing, try it.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Link and toon link can't press z to drop and aerial to re catch anymore... but this is gonna be a lot of power for characters that can.

This likely only works for charcacters that spawn items with a DownB, maybe only the three characters shown.

B0NK

Smash Lord
This only works with items that get thrwn with the Down+b input, doesn't it?
Pretty much. I don't have the game to test what that includes. Probably a decent amount, but if anyone has the game feel free to find the limitations of this. I'll be happy to post it in the OP.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Link and toon link can't press z to drop and aerial to re catch anymore... but this is gonna be a lot of power for characters that can.

This likely only works for charcacters that spawn items with a DownB, maybe only the three characters shown.
Yep.

To all people who are getting excited this probably only works for the characters that spawn items *on their hands*. Meaning only the 3 shown. Diddy, Bowser Jr, R.O.B and such don't throw their items when you press Down-B, they just try to get another one out (without success).

On another note, if a character spawns an item on his hand with any other input that isn't Down-B then it should also work. Is there a character that does?

Last edited:

B0NK

Smash Lord
Still waiting on someone to test it with Diddy, ROB, and Bowser Jr.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Just Tested Megaman, it doesn't work :I
I just looked up all of the cast and their attacks/customs and no other character in the roster spawns an item on their hands. This would mean these are the only 3 characters able to use it.

Still waiting on someone to test it with Diddy, ROB, and Bowser Jr.
The thing is these characters don't throw their items when you press Down-B while holding an item. They just try to spawn a 2nd item and fail.

Last edited:

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Nope, MM neutral-B is not an item toss. It's a custom projectile like Snake's.

Pressing neutral-B with an item in your hand does nothing, try it.
But you can throw the blade at the ground and pick it up. Does it not count as an item at that point?

OH. He spawns leaf shield. Durr nvm.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
But you can throw the blade at the ground and pick it up. Does it not count as an item at that point?
It does, but this technique doesn't work with the regular item throw command. It works with the "item spawn" command. When you try to spawn an item into your hand and you're already holding an item then the character will be forced to throw the one you are currently holding.

This is the reason why it only works on those who spawn the items on their hands.

Last edited:

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
this is the character specific stuff that is going to really make some characters

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
this is the character specific stuff that is going to really make some characters
I don't think this helps Link and Toon Link that much as you can only throw the bomb forward, you can only cancel the lag specifically on landing like a tech (if you land and don't press down-B instantly or if you try to do it on the ground it doesn't work at all), you can't Z-Air and recatch the bomb in the air, and there aren't that many "laggy" moves you can realistically cancel.

With both Toon Link and Link you could theoretically cancel: Up-Air, Down-Air, Boomerang and Arrow. (Z-Air, Forward Air, Neutral Air and Back Air all auto cancel on landing anyways). That's a total of 4 moves, and out of those 4, 2 of them require you to throw the bomb upwards and then recatch it. I don't see this being used THAT much.

With Peach I have no idea, I don't really know her that well.

Last edited:

hiramsthoughts

Smash Apprentice
So my bae Tlink will be able to air dodge close to you and throw a bomb immediatly after his immunity stops, and when the Bomb explodes on your face TLink will be immune to the explosion and will be able to follow up? Is that what you're trying to tell me? Oh man <3

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
So my bae Tlink will be able to air dodge close to you and throw a bomb immediatly after his immunity stops, and when the Bomb explodes on your face TLink will be immune to the explosion and will be able to follow up? Is that what you're trying to tell me? Oh man <3
Oh, I forgot about air dodges. Well actually it will probably have a lot of use after all.

However people will know what you want to do as soon as they see you short hop towards them with a bomb in your hand. I guess it does have its uses, but you will need to mix up your bomb game.

Last edited:

B0NK

Smash Lord
Viability stuff
I believe it helps their arrow and zair game. It's also nice to have landing airdodge as an option sometimes.

Peach appreciates being able to rid herself of aerial landing lag, since she can now cancel her fast fall Fair lag. Also it allows Peach to cancel out of hitstun like Diddy can with Peanut Gun and Megaman can with Up-B.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I believe it helps their arrow and zair game. It's also nice to have landing airdodge as an option sometimes.

Peach appreciates being able to rid herself of aerial landing lag, since she can now cancel her fast fall Fair lag. Also it allows Peach to cancel out of hitstun like Diddy can with Peanut Gun and Megaman can with Up-B.
Yea, I forgot about air dodging completely, lol. That actually makes it quite useful.

Has anyone figured out the bob-omb momentum thing?

Last edited:

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I tested this on my way home. Only those 3. Does not work with rob, diddy or bowser jr.

I'll try to make a video before the night is over to show in more detail.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I tested this on my way home. Only those 3. Does not work with rob, diddy or bowser jr.

I'll try to make a video before the night is over to show in more detail.
In your video, show how you can cancel out of all hitstun at all %s. Also try to cancel out of multi-hit moves. From my own tests it seems that you are completely unable to. Try cancelling out of jab combos and such.

What about Pac-Man?
Pac-Man doesn't summon an item on his hand.

Last edited:

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
Only works with Peach, Toon Link, and Link.
Works best with Peach as she can float > use aerials without having need to toss the turnip.

Peach can also cancel hitstun by pressing down+b while having a turnip in hand. Go to 1:10 in the vid. I'm not sure whether Link/Toon Link can as well (don't feel like testing.)

This was discovered about 1-2 days ago.

Last edited:

B0NK

Smash Lord
Only works with Peach, Toon Link, and Link.
Works best with Peach as she can float > use aerials without having need to toss the turnip.

This was discovered about 1-2 days ago.

k

Last edited:

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
In your video, show how you can cancel out of all hitstun at all %s. Also try to cancel out of multi-hit moves. From my own tests it seems that you are completely unable to. Try cancelling out of jab combos and such.

Pac-Man doesn't summon an item on his hand.
Its hard to test that stuff solo but i'll try

vileguy

Smash Rookie
These characters can't do any aerial with the item in hand; they have to pick up the item with the aerial and then cancel it, which requires precise item placement. This works well for airborn special attacks and airdodge if it works.

Now while diddy kong can't do this technique, he has some canceling with neutral B. It may only work with hitstun, but it would be worth testing with offensive canceling.

B0NK

Smash Lord
Peach can float then do aerials with the item in her hands, unless this has change?

Last edited:
Top Bottom