• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi's Island: Stage Research

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Both versions of Smash 4 have a different retro Yoshi's Island stage, funnily enough. This one is from Melee.

Shoutouts to @Budget Player Cadet_ who likes this stage, if memory serves.

Previously Covered
Wily Castle
Gaur Plain
Pyrosphere
Temple
Mario Circuit (Brawl)
Boxing Ring
Port Town Aero Dive
Bridge of Eldin
Pilotwings
Jungle Hijinxs
Wrecking Crew
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 2
Big Battlefield
Battlefield
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Town & City
Duck Hunt
Delfino Plaza
Kalos Pokemon League
Mario Galaxy
Coliseum
Gamer
Wii Fit Studio
Kongo Jungle 64
Windy Hill Zone
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Orbital Gate Assault
Woolly World
Skyloft
Garden of Hope
Mushroom Kingdom U
Wuhu Island
Mario Circuit

Layout
The center of Yoshi's Island has a pit with grabbable ledges, with steep slopes on either side. The right slope goes to a walkoff, while the left slope dips back down and ends at a ledge that's unusually close to the blast line. A fully charged forward smash sweetspot from Mario on another Mario kills at 21% from this ledge.

Also present on the stage are Flip Blocks. A set of three covers the pit in the middle, with two more sets of three overhead on either side of the pit.

Players 1 and 2 start on the slopes level with the Flip Blocks, while Players 3 and 4 start underneath them. The Omega form has walled sides.

Other than the Flip Blocks, Yoshi's Island has no dynamic stage features.

Yoshi's Island. The Flip Blocks switch between being solid and not, as detailed below. Not pictured: Mario, just offscreen to the right on Yoshi's level.

Flip Blocks
Flip Blocks are normally solid objects, but become intangible when spinning around. Jumping into a Flip Block from below (including Luma and Olimar's Pikmin) will start it spinning, as will hitting it with any attack. A Flip Block spins for approximately 5 seconds before becoming static and solid again. If a player is inside the Flip Block during the last second or so of its spinning, it will pick up a bit of speed and continue spinning for longer than usual. This mechanic is likely intended to prevent a Flip Block from becoming solid while a player is inside it.

Flip Blocks cannot directly hurt players by themselves in any fashion.

Summary
  • Unusually close side blast lines.
  • Flip Blocks are normally solid.
  • Flip Blocks spin and become intangible when hit by any attack, or jumped into from below.
  • Flip Blocks spin for about 5 seconds.
  • Flip Blocks spin longer than usual if players are inside them during final moments.

Last edited:

Tybis

Smash Apprentice
Interesting note for Olimar; Pikmin that come up from underneath blocks when returning to Olimar will collide with the blocks like a character, and will cause it to spin.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I thought you were close to done and then I tried to count up the stages you have left. If I can keep track of which stages are which, you just have Final Destination, Great Cave Offensive, Onett, Palutena's Temple, Skyworld, Pac-Land, Flat Zone X, and 75m left. A great collection of stages to be sure. You're a hero for sticking through it long past the point of stages of relevance.

This particular stage here is absolutely hilarious; it is the best stage in the game to have a maximally ridiculous match.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I thought you were close to done and then I tried to count up the stages you have left. If I can keep track of which stages are which, you just have Final Destination, Great Cave Offensive, Onett, Palutena's Temple, Skyworld, Pac-Land, Flat Zone X, and 75m left. A great collection of stages to be sure. You're a hero for sticking through it long past the point of stages of relevance.

This particular stage here is absolutely hilarious; it is the best stage in the game to have a maximally ridiculous match.
That list is completely correct. You may have noticed my announcements for each stage getting more snarky over time and insinuating that no one cares about the stage in question. That's why.

I'm also saving FD for last. Still debating if I want to include pictures of each Omega or not.

Top Bottom