• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi's Got a Brand New Trick

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
Now that Yoshi can jump out of his shield, he has quite a few new options. Yoshi is also one of only a few characters who has a low enough Double Jump to cancel his jumps. I bring you, The Yoshi "Multi-Egg"!

How it Works
The whole process is all relatively simple. By now we all know that Yoshi can cancel his regular jumps with a double jump.
This is important because it allows us to utilize a Fox-like technique. The Multi-Egg.

Here's how I do it: To start off with, you are going to hold down your selected shield button. Next you're going to push X or Y, then quickly flick the analog stick upwards (or alternatively press X or Y again) all the while holding down your shield button. If done correctly, this will break your shield, then very quickly put it back up. What you just did was a Multi-Egg! All you have to do now is repeat that same process. Very simple.

Here's a visual version of the technique:
:GCLT: OR :GCRT: (hold) --> :GCY: OR :GCX:OR:GCU: --> :GCY: OR :GCX: OR :GCU:

And an additional method courtesy of TensenROB:
Hold :GCLT:/:GCRT: -> :GCCU: ->:GCU:

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ4RuwAHsuM

Uses:
So far, aside from being nice for warming up your hands, the uses I've found are relatively specific. If you manage to get your hands quick enough, you can set up a nearly constant stream of powershields. If my understanding of frames is correct, doing it frame perfect would result in a power shield every 6 frames. The other use would be to quickly renew your shield so you have a chance grab parry if you can predict it. Other than that, it just looks cool.

Notes:
  • The outside of Yoshi's shield matches his color, but not the fragments it breaks into.
  • A frame perfect execution of this technique only takes 8 frames, counting from the moment you first press L/R to when your shield comes back up.
  • That means it is almost 3 times faster than letting your shield down and putting it back up the normal way.
  • Yoshi could in theory do the same thing in Smash 64.
  • This will not work in SSB4WU/3DS because in the transition from Brawl to the new game, Yoshi lost the ability to DJC (according to footage from E3).
  • This is a nearly identical technique to Fox's MultiShine, hence the name Multi-Egg.
  • The actual technique itself only constitutes reshielding once.

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
Could I get a link to that then? I want to see what others have to say on the subject.
http://smashboards.com/threads/new-yoshi-exclusive-technique.362089/

It's not talking specifically about the shielding over and over thing, but what you're talking about is really just an extension of the double jump cancel out of shield. I assure you that there are much more practical uses to the technique. I have trouble seeing the use for the repeated shielding other than a warm up or trying to be fancy.

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
http://smashboards.com/threads/new-yoshi-exclusive-technique.362089/

It's not talking specifically about the shielding over and over thing, but what you're talking about is really just an extension of the double jump cancel out of shield. I assure you that there are much more practical uses to the technique. I have trouble seeing the use for the repeated shielding other than a warm up or trying to be fancy.
Really it's the same thing as a multi-shine. Nearly useless during game, but it looks kinda fancy. I guess you could try to break a persons shield with a Multishine, but really the practicality of such an act is lost on how easily you can miss a shine. A Multi-Egg really is more of a defensive option. Never once did I say you had to do it a billion times. It's only real practicality comes from how quickly you can shield again, meaning that if you can predict your opponent trying to grab you, you can parry it and punish them. Also thank you for the link.

Last edited:

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
Parry frames are the first 6 frames of Yoshi's shield, and DJL takes 6 frames to do (5 frame jumpsquat, 1 frame in the air) so you can have at best 50% parry uptime.

The easiest way to do this is holding down your shield, pressing c-stick up (buffers a jump OOS right after parry frames if it's light press shield), and repeatedly using tap jump to DJL (tap jump also has buffer properties).

Hold :GCLT:/:GCRT: -> :GCCU: ->:GCU:

I guess you could compare it to repeatedly spotdodging but with fewer invulnerable frames (and it's PM Yoshi's parry so it's not reliable against attacks), less committal, and harder to comprehend for someone looking at it. But it looks cool so you could add it to your style kit. As far as using it to parry grabs it has a 6 frame startup (DJL) so it'd require a harder read than normal parrying.

Last edited:

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
Parry frames are the first 6 frames of Yoshi's shield, and DJL takes 6 frames to do (5 frame jumpsquat, 1 frame in the air) so you can have at best 50% parry uptime. The easiest way to do this is holding down your shield, pressing c-stick up (buffers a jump OOS right after parry frames if it's light press shield), and repeatedly using tap jump to DJL (tap jump also has buffer properties). I guess you could compare it to repeatedly spotdodging but with fewer invulnerable frames (and it's PM Yoshi's parry so it's not reliable against attacks), less committal, and harder to comprehend for someone looking at it. But it looks cool so you could add it to your style kit. As far as using it to parry grabs it has a 6 frame startup (DJL) so it'd require a harder read than normal parrying.
Sorry for the incorrect frames, I guess I counted the powershield window on accident. But what I was saying is if you are already shielding when your opponent starts running at you, and you think they are going to try and grab you, it can be parried. Or you could alternatively bait a grab by shielding then parrying their grab. Also, could you maybe rewrite what you said about using the C-Stick using the Button emotes? I'd like to add exactly what you mean to the Original Post cuz it sounds useful.

Last edited:

Super Papi

Smash Rookie
Sounds like a good find although it may have been found before. Try to find some actual application of this in a competitive environment and we might all turrn our ears, but for now it doesn't seem very important -- yet.

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like a good find although it may have been found before. Try to find some actual application of this in a competitive environment and we might all turrn our ears, but for now it doesn't seem very important -- yet.
Really the only use for this is renewing the special properties your shield has as soon as it goes up, those being the powershield and parry windows. Try to think of this as a Multishine variant. It doesn't much of a competitive use.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Multishining can be used competitively. Like it has merit. This just doesn't dude. If you're going to try to powershield just time it well, as spamming it is impractical and silly.

Definitely don't let this discourage you from looking for new tricks though. There's always stuff to be discovered in P:M. From Teleporting Ice Climbers to auto cancel windows and setups.

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
Multishining can be used competitively. Like it has merit. This just doesn't dude. If you're going to try to powershield just time it well, as spamming it is impractical and silly.

Definitely don't let this discourage you from looking for new tricks though. There's always stuff to be discovered in P:M. From Teleporting Ice Climbers to auto cancel windows and setups.
No no no you guys have got me all wrong. The uses I suggested were merely that. Suggestions. Because The technique wasn't really meant to have much of a use, but to be a variant of the multi-shine. This does however have use in that you can grab parry things. That is the ONLY semi-practical use. The powershielding thing does however work. It simply isn't as practical as I might like to imagine.

AnEnemyMongoose

Smash Cadet
I know I'll sound stupid for saying this, since it's probably already known, but you can move with it.

The cool thing with it is that it's almost like a shorter version of the wavedash with slightly more utility, since all of the endlag is cancelled and the frame :yoshi2: lands you can do anything, as well as maintain the slide from directional landing (you know this). Maybe if reflexes were fast enough - I have a reaction speed of 230 ms or something slow like that, so prob not ME directly - you could execute near frame perfect attacks.

I dunno. I'm not a Yoshi main, it was just something I had found and I thought the real scientists could put it to use.

Edit: I just read the thread linked above. Nvm. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom