• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Trials

Sashimi

Smash Ace
At the request of some Yoshi players, I have made a series of videos that feature challenges related to Yoshi's tech skill. The challenges imitate the Street Fighter style "trials," and are listed in order from easiest/most general to hardest/most situational. I hope that this helps new Yoshi players learn all of the necessary techniques!

There are four videos.

Movement and Basics: things like dashdancing, DJC, wavelanding, etc.

Combos: many of Yoshi's bread and butter combo setups.

Parrying: all of the main parry follow-ups and practising against red shells.

Ledge Techniques: everything that has to do with the ledge.

Good luck, and have fun!

Spheal37

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spheal37
As a young Yoshi main, I find this these videos incredibly helpful! Thanks for making these, i'm off to practice right now!

kofinater

Smash Apprentice
Do we have an active admin? I guess vman posted recently, can he pin stuff? Anyways i wanna say that dtitl ->dash-> wavedash -> techchase/jab reset looks absurdly clutch. it feels like it makes yoshi way more threatening on the ground.

DD151

Smash Journeyman
It might be worth mentioning in the video comments for the combo trials that U-tilt and (up-angled) F-tilt are frequently interchangeable.

Also I have already congratulated you over Skype for a job well done but I will congratulate you here as well!

EDIT: What are your thoughts on ground and platform tech chasing trials?

Last edited:

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Everything here is designed so that you can practise it on your own. I'd include techchasing trials, but afaik there's no good way to set it up consistently. Vanilla CPUs don't tech and 20XX CPUs DI in all kinds of ways so half the time they'd be avoiding the platform (and I also wanted to avoid using 20XX because many people don't have it).

I think as long as people know how to techchase, they'll find it's easier to practise it against real people so I didn't cover it with the trials.

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
Yea this has been amazing so far. I've been grinding it a lot ever since you released the video. That's why i haven't been on skype. I'm heading out to Louisanna tomorrow for a tournament. I'll post a link. I hope i can get on stream.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
As an added challenge, you can add a F-air after the D-tilt -> Dash -> WD -> Jab Reset.

Mage.

Smash Cadet
In DJC followed by a aerial do you retain the armor from the double jump?

Sashimi

Smash Ace
You lose the armor as soon as you start the aerial.

@ Kimimaru Kimimaru

That is a good idea. I think the challenges can be taken a lot further, and combined with each other, but I didn't want the videos to be too long. I don't have any immediate plans to add any trials but maybe I'll make a list in the first post with more challenges.

Last edited:

Mage.

Smash Cadet
Another question about his double jump then. How do you use the armor effectively? I understand you use the armor from dj to tank hits but I can never seem to use the double jump and then follow up with something. I guess my question is this: How do you effectively use his armor? Meaning, after using double jump to gain armor (I presume using a DJC) how can I immediately transition into punishing my opponent once I've tanked the attack. The issue I have is when I use the DJC I follow with an aerial which results in me getting hit since I don't have armor. Do I just need to time it better?

Last edited:

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Using armor to take a hit and then retaliate with DJC generally requires a read. aMSa is pretty good at reading these armor trade situations and getting Uair combos, so you could watch him for examples. If you are deliberately trying to get armor trades and you find that you are getting hit after the armor is gone, then you should try delaying the double jump and/or the aerial.

To maximize the time that you have armor, remember that you can be in your double jump for up to 8 frames (not including hitlag, if you get hit) before cancelling it and still be able to fastfall immediately after. If you wait longer before starting the aerial, you will have to delay the fastfall because that is the point where Yoshi's double jump starts to gain upwards momentum.

If you are recovering, it tends to be much easier. Just hit back if your opponent tries to break your armor at too low %.

dvatch

Smash Cadet
Great videos. If you make another video, it should be on shield pressure. Besides jabs, DJC nairs, spaced ftilts and aerials, I don't know what to do. People keep telling me my shield pressure sucks. :colorful:

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
From what i've seen Fair is a good shield pressuring tool. I've been trying to mix it up with dilt's and slight jabs but i don't know a effective way to really do it. So it would be nice to see.

deeseejay

Smash Cadet
The parrying shown in the videos, is that a true shield parry? Or is using the DJ land to absorb the red shell?

I have a huge headache trying to understand parrying in general.

The videos are SUPER helpful though thankyou.

Kaffle

Smash Rookie
I've been trying so hard to understand Yoshi approach options but this is really giving me a better idea of what to do.

BriefcaseBunny

Smash Rookie
This is all really great. I have been using this to design my practice time, and it has improved my game incredibly.

Getsafe

Smash Apprentice
Really struggling with the Dtilt dash wavedash jab reset.

Is there an IASA frame into dash or do you have to wait all 23 frames? I can't quite tell which part I'm messing up (dash out of Dtilt timing, wavedash out of dash timing, or wavedash length)
Also, can Dtilt be teched?

Sashimi

Smash Ace
There is no IASA for Down Tilt, so you have to wait the whole 23 frames before dashing. With the information you gave me, I can't tell you which part you're messing up.

Here is an example of the proper timing.

Down Tilt can be teched like any other move that knocks you over. Whether or not you can techchase with it depends on the character you are playing against, but I know it works against Marth and Peach.

Top Bottom