• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Theater: video thread

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Hello fellow yoshis!! The other day me and 6WX (The Sonic) did some friendlies and i'd like to know if im playing the MU right, or what i can work on/do better. Heres a video of our match.

BuRnT EGGs (Yoshi) VS 6WX (Sonic): http://youtu.be/5iWR51BUwbk

Sonic is my most tricky MU, So tips would be appreciated as well. Thanks
I like your Yoshi a lot! Your movement is pretty friggin' good.

In general, you seem to be going for super hard read moves a lot. You threw out a lot of Down Bs and Fsmashes in neutral, which are not safe at all by any stretch of the imagination. They worked once or twice, but you got punished A LOT for them. You should definitely tone it down.

Also, you looked like you got really impatient with the kill once you hit your last stock. A lot of Fsmashes on shield, which gave him punishes, which let him catch up. Take your time and don't fish for your kill moves!

When you're in the air against Sonic, try to just land. You looked like you kept trying to challenge him with falling Nair. When you're in a disadvantaged state, you gotta accept it and try to reset to neutral. Trying to force an advantage could just lead to more punishment.

Also, I don't advise eggs or jumping in neutral against Sonic. He's too fast, and can get under us/the eggs really easily. You did really well in neutral though, so keep doing what works. I think you could stand to use more jab though, it beats out spindashes.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Throw more eggs from short hops, stop standing and doin' nothing fer like 2-5 seconds, less airdodging to the ground, be more smart with moves cause you seem to randomly throwing them out hoping they'll hit.
First 10 or so seconds of that Marth match you both just kept throwing out moves and missing every single one, dunno if that was lag or what but it was silly to see.
Very late response, but I'm pretty sure the randomness and the air dodges were all input errors. I'm pretty sure there was no way I intended to throw an egg backwards or that random up tilt for the first 10 seconds and I meant to do something else, but did them on accident. And sometimes when I try to tech into the ground, I miss and do an air dodge instead due to lag.

Thanks for pointing those out anyway though.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Person in SA that's gunna duu vids fer us came back.
Here me being bad some more.
I notice whenever you're on the ledge you opt to getup/roll on to the stage. Try to vary your getups while on the ledge, personally I like to let go and DJ to recover high or jump from the ledge. Also try to seldom use the Bair. Your game 3 was more crisp compared to game 1, you were more patient and eggs did its job to create openings. Nice matches.

Hello fellow yoshis!! The other day me and 6WX (The Sonic) did some friendlies and i'd like to know if im playing the MU right, or what i can work on/do better. Heres a video of our match.
Hey BuRnT EGGs, you did a good job against him and also closing out the stock. Jabs (from what I've heard) stuff sonic's approaches so use that to your advantage. Connecting with eggs is difficult against sonic since he can dash in quickly underneath to punish, try to throw them out safely. Do not be too predictable and fish with smash attacks, he was able to punish them readily when you did an unsafe smash. Same goes for Down B, it's great when you make a read, but don't throw it out often hoping it'll connect.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Oh hey this guy is from houston.

Why are you offstage when the opponent is nowhere around. Lost a stock for no reason.
Actually you lost the game because of that.

If peach is in the air floating just toss eggs, she either gets pelted by them or has to go back down.
Don't challenge her fair, it's stronger now.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZURmfPVRIU

Just going to leave this here feel free to tell me if anything is wrong with my yoshi
You really must stop using Down B to land. It's not safe, and the stars don't really protect us in this game, so it's basically a free punish in most cases.

Also, you're really active. Like, game 1, you lost your first stock because you were too busy jumping around. Relax, and don't jump around, ESPECIALLY OFFSTAGE, for no reason. You never really willingly want to be offstage, unless you're edgeguarding.

AirJay

Smash Amatuer
NNID
jordaniscold
3DS FC
0877-0255-3596
I tried to use down-b to punish some of his aerials or punish him for using a move but most of the time it just got me punished and yeah i found out early on that peach's fair is stronger thanks for the advice i will keep that in mind in future matches

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I like some of your stuff, though. You play a pretty similar Yoshi to me, actually. I didn't like your Fsmashes that much, but they were working, so I guess it's hard to complain about that. I don't you'll get lucky that often, though.

The other thing is that you sometimes SH egg tossed, threw a second egg, and landed inside Peach's punish range, which didn't make a lot of sense. If she is shielding your egg, then she is going to shield your landing aerial at the same time, and then you're just going to take damage. A lot of your landings were unsafe--you should be more patient and allow yourself to reset to neutral more often.

You also have a command grab for shielding opponents, so use that more often.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Try not to hang around on the ledge, Yoshi is vulnerable in between egg throws. Also try to prevent unsafe attacks on shield, he punished you a few times when you Nair'd him when he was shielding. Never fish for smashes, do that only when you're sure you that it'll connect. Pikachu is slippery, but it looks like you guys could've went even if you played more matches.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Honestly, it's feels hard to me to play against characters like Pikachu or Diddy Kong (i'm considering trying Ness next time I face one of those).

If I miss i'm screwed, but If they miss they can just escape with unlaggy stuff, it's frustrating.

From what I can see from this video I need to get better at returning to the stage, I get punished for it a lot.

Also now when I somehow think a Usmash is going to hit, I'll just Sh Dair instead (looking at my second death in the first match)

Last edited:

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
If I miss i'm screwed, but If they miss they can just escape with unlaggy stuff, it's frustrating.
Well, there's a difference between just "missing" and making unsafe attacks, and learning what attacks are unsafe just takes time, matchup experience and player conditioning.

Landing Nairs and dash grabs are unsafe on a target in neutral, so avoid using them unless it's a read. Crossing up the opponent with landing Nairs is at least better than landing in front of them. Fair is surprisingly safe on shield, if spaced correctly.

But what might be an even bigger problem I noticed watching your vid is that you are slow on the draw and miss a lot of punish opportunities as a result. It could just be that your opponents are escaping because you aren't reacting fast enough with the correct punish option. For instance, 0:40, Pikachu whiffs an Upsmash on your shield, and you run backwards instead of punishing it. At 0:58, Pikachu dash attacks the ledge, which is a free Uair punish, but you do normal get up instead. At 2:22, Pikachu throws out a really unsafe Bair and lands right in front of you, and you hop off the platform instead of killing him.

These little bad reactions are things that completely change the game, especially missed kill opportunities.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
^ This is true.

Reaction time is probably my biggest weakness in general, not just in Smash 4, but I am punished for it and lose opportunities in PM too.

I need to git gud

Scatz

Smash Champion
You guys gonna make me blast you even in Smash 4.

Lukin, here's my 5 min review after watching about 2 mins of your match:

Look at your video again in slow motion.

Your spacing is not there. You're using moves that stop right in front of your opponent's shield or intentionally landing with an aerial on the front of the shield so that you can get punished easily. You need to know how far your moves can reach, character can move horizontally/vertically, and what your moves cover in terms of space.

You also use moves in situations that are completely unwarranted, or your reactions are slow to where you don't get a punish off an opponent's mistake. This leads me to believe that you're not paying attention to your opponent and actively telling yourself to do stuff.

You should start watching yourself play in slow motion. Then stop at random situations and think about what works and what doesn't, as well as what is least risky vs most risky against the said character going against you. Then in matches, start making yourself do more than the norm that you've been accustomed to.

Last edited:

DustinxD

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! I'm new to Smashboards here but I had signed up mainly due to peer pressure and I thought I could use some tips on getting better. I'm supposedly the best Yoshi for Smash 4 in the city I'm in currently but I feel I could still improve a lot more. Any tips would be appreciated.

Here's a recent match I had against a Rosalina online on For Glory 1 vs 1; does anyone see any glaring issues and what kind of things I could try to do? I also seem to have problems against Ness. I'll have more videos out in the future.

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
@ DustinxD DustinxD Nice match! You did a lot of things really well. Here are some things that stuck out to me though:

At the beginning, you Utilted in place like, 4-5 times in a row. I dunno if that's some WiFi shenaniganry, or if you'd normally do that, but it's suuuuuuuper iffy to use a move 43982032 times in a row like that. But it worked! So, I dunno.

That spike kill was amazing.

I liked how, once you got your first kill, you basically only did damage with eggs. Reminds me of me back in the day. I'm sure you'd missed potential opportunities for more damage that way, but you tacked on a healthy 63% before losing your stock!

I noticed you Fsmashing a lot in neutral. Like, you'd just sort of Fsmash Rosy's shield, or Fsmash in the wrong direction. This was even more noticeable after you had died and has Rosy at high percent on her last stock. You need to NOT fish for kills. You were eating lots of punishment, and that's how you let people catch up. You did eventually get the kill, but it's very dangerous to go about it the way you did.

Also, if you'll looking to improve, you could always join The Great Yoshi Ditto Extravaganza, to test your might against the other Yoshis! You could learn a lot by seeing how other people approach his tools, etc.

DustinxD

Smash Rookie
@ Delta-cod Delta-cod Hm alright; thank you. I'm trying to time the up tilts rather than spamming it and as for the f smash, it wasn't intentional. xD

For the Yoshi Ditto Extravaganza, when would it begin? I'm interested in joining but I have an Alberta tournament to participate in on Saturday and Sunday but I would be free after that.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
@ Delta-cod Delta-cod Hm alright; thank you. I'm trying to time the up tilts rather than spamming it and as for the f smash, it wasn't intentional. xD

For the Yoshi Ditto Extravaganza, when would it begin? I'm interested in joining but I have an Alberta tournament to participate in on Saturday and Sunday but I would be free after that.
It's a WiFi tournament that will take place over weeks. Being away for a weekend wouldn't really hurt your ability to participate. You can find it here: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-great-yoshi-ditto-extravaganza.390396/

But no more off topic shenaniganry here. =P

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
I have a couple For Glory matches.
One part of my gameplay that probably needs altering is my endgame. In the second video, I nearly blow it and struggle to get the kill when I know that I could have gotten it earlier or without taking as much damage as I did.

I could probably also use help with not getting punished on shield as much. A few f-airs and some of my other approaches got shield grabbed and I ended up taking some damage overtime because of that.

If there's anything else that I can improve, let me know.

The SD in the first vid was a misinput btw. I was trying to use Egg Toss.

Aveean

Purple Yoshi Double Dunker
Could we please have all the videos organized in the main post by player? Other subforums do it and it makes it much easier for people trying to browse and see all the videos.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
^ This is something I've been intending to do from the beginning and keep forgetting to do so :< Will get on it ASAP, thanks dude.:)

Aveean

If you need any help with formatting or anything, let me know! I'm a programmer! Glad the first post is in the works then. I will wait patiently. =)

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I dunno if programming will be especially helpful with the text editor functions here. But what do I know, I'm not a programmer. =P

@ Nikes Nikes Please don't suffer the same fate Yika did with his thread. THE BOARDS WILL NOT READ MULTIPLE SPACES IN A ROW DON'T TRY TO CHEAT FORMATTING LIKE THAT. Unless @ Aveean Aveean knows how to make that work.

Aveean

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
Learn your matchups is the big thing. For example, in the first video NEVER do an aerial chase against a Yoshi if he is above you. The only followups you should do once Yoshi is in the air are Eggs or bait his stomp (get to his side or expect to air dodge), BUT never chase after him with an aerial attack. In the second video, stay out of the air and don't use FSmash since Villager's B/Fair beats anything you do (that bicycle kick was not worth getting hit 3 times) unless you've got 2nd jump super armor. Likewise, Eggs don't work against Villager (unless he is extremely far away) since his F/Bair comes out faster than your Eggs. Another thing, stay away from the edge (1st match) especially after you've used your 2nd jump. I also noticed the Villager never used Throw, so you could've gotten away with A LOT more blocking.

Last edited:

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Learn your matchups is the big thing. For example, in the first video NEVER do an aerial chase against a Yoshi if he is above you. The only followups you should do once Yoshi is in the air are Eggs or bait his stomp (get to his side or expect an air dodge), BUT never chase after him with an aerial attack. In the second video, stay out of the air and don't use FSmash since Villager's B/Fair beats anything you do (that bicycle kick was not worth getting hit 3 times) unless you've got 2nd jump super armor. Likewise, Eggs don't work against Villager (unless he is extremely far away) since his F/Bair comes out faster than your Eggs. Another thing, stay away from the edge (1st match) especially after you've used your 2nd jump. I also noticed the Villager never used Throw, so you could've gotten away with A LOT more blocking.
Agreed with InfinityZERO. It is not a good idea to chase a Yoshi that is above you because they can easily Yoshi bomb for a surprise kill or flutter kick to doom. Learn the other yoshi's egg pattern and weave through it with your own eggs and find your opening in between tosses. Yoshi's best tool against another airborne yoshi is Upsmash -- abuse the hell out of the range and antiair capabilities of it.

For villager, he will create a wall no doubt about it, but make sure you are actively avoiding the lloid rockets as you got hit with plenty of them. He placed them low, while F/Baired high so it was difficult for you to get in, but do your best to not take damage whenver possible. Each slingshot or rocket he got got strung into another attack and kept you walled out. This matchup is tough, but you need to keep up with villager or else he'll camp you out till oblivion.

--

Vs Luigi/Diddy
This was the only recorded match of mine in a recent tourney, but I unfortunately had to forfeit out of. Luckily I was able to play this game on stream before leaving. I'd like critique on it and I'll post my analysis as well.

So I have not played this person before, but he has been placing in top 10 usually in tournaments like myself so I was prepared for a challenge. The first game he went Luigi, and throughout the entire match he did not seem to have a grasp on the matchup. I like to play patiently with SH ET and the occasional ETS, with B reversals/Nairs to cover my landings. I was able to get a lot of mileage out of eggs and egg lay Upsmashes and quickly took a stock off without much worry. I noticed he backrolled a lot and saw my opportunity to JC Upsmash as a punish. I was in his head.

The next game he goes ahead and picks Diddy. I was pretty confident at that point because in no way am I gonna lose to a pocket diddy on Halberd! I played a little more slowly, and since I already knew he was shaken up from the previous match, so I threw out numerous Upsmashes to keep him scared. It was a more closer game this time, but I had little doubt I would lose.

Last edited:

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
Dren, do you give lessons or recommendations to play like you? That was beautiful. You created what I'd like to call an Omelet Wall (egg throwing in the air and egg laying on the ground and air). How long do you practice neutral B reversals?

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Dang you're having a rave inside your house, colors changin' and all.
Usually combo videos with metalish music is a strain on the ears like most combo videos or highlights had back in like 08 and so on, but this is one of those cases where it kinda fits and it's catchy.

Last edited:

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Dren, do you give lessons or recommendations to play like you? That was beautiful. You created what I'd like to call an Omelet Wall (egg throwing in the air and egg laying on the ground and air). How long do you practice neutral B reversals?
I dunno if I can give lessons, but a good way to practice B-reversals would be on BF or FD. For Battlefield, after running off the platforms, immediately B-reverse. I like this option because it catches opponents that are trying to attack you from below. On FD or any open stage, you can practice a lot of different techniques. Facing away from the opponent, jump towards/away them and then B-reverse. Double jump to the max height with left or right input, then B-reverse your way to the ground, you should be able to do 2. On the ground you can do a run into a B-reverse as well.

Don't just only do B-reverses though, turnaround egg lays, wavebounced egg lays (I haven't gotten around to using these), and retreating egg lays are an option too. I find that landing with it covers the option where your opponent is running toward you, it does get beaten out by attacks though so try not to be too predictable (throw out a Nair instead!). Egg lays give yoshi a unique movement and you can follow them up easily with an Upsmash/Yoshi bomb/Uairs like I show in the vid vs luigi.

Unleash The Beast 2 A Yoshi Combo Video: http://youtu.be/cQLTf6ttFms

Hope you guys like this! My combo viid
Very nice combos you have there, but I would not recommend any yoshi player to Down B onto slants :p

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
Dren could you explain turnaround egg lays, wavebounced egg lays (I googled this and got Project M stuff), and retreating egg lays (I assume this is using the b reversal to jut the opposite direction)? I can sometimes manage a triple b reversal from a double jump (one from the first jump and two from the flutter kick).

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
The turnaround, B-reverse, and wavebounce mechanics work the same way in Smash 4 as they do in Project M, so that Project M link you found should still be applicable.

Aveean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt-72gEqPz8&list=PL2EHmDbRN8M3dxPbbeJuGu2cSDwzOPlEg

Here's some videos of me, best of 5 against that sheik player (grand finals at a small local tournament). I see lots of mistakes I made (primarily spacing issues, getting shield grabbed a lot, not recovering properly, egg throws kinda iffy) BUT regardless of what I already know, I am curious if anyone has any further tips for me. Really trying to get better! =D

BSME/misc

Smash Ace
NNID
jjp702
3DS FC
1521-3685-4649
Top Bottom